Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

replacing grip twist like shifters

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-08, 04:50 AM
KenPCPilot

Bikes: Moutain High (20 y/o), walmart Denali, Micargi FTR 2 Mountain bike, Next Mountain Bike

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a new Walmart road bike and old used Next Bike that have "Grip Twist:" like shifters. I would like to replace these. What can i use for the Road bike.?I would even prefer levers on the stem of the handlebar vs grip twist. On the mountain bike I would prefer triggers paddle combination with aluminum brake handles. Can i just replace them or do i have to replace the bar and new grips?
Old 08-08-08, 02:00 PM
FLYBYU

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Hi Ken,

One of the problems with buying a department store bike is that too keep prices down they usually spec them with components that are nothing like what a modern bike will have on it. For instance you don't see too many department store bikes with 8spd or 9spd drivetrains, which is pretty much a standard for bikes from a bike shop. That is why we would need to know how many speeds your bikes are before suggesting a setup. You may have to look around on ebay or something for older components that are compatible with say a 5,6,7 speed drivetrain. The mountain bike may be the hardest because any trigger shifter/brake combo's will likely be 8 or 9 spd setups. You can find older trigger shifters that worked with 7spd drivetrains, but it may be hard. Hope this helps you out, this is precisely why it is better to buy a good bike second hand rather then buying a new department store bike.

Edit: I just reread you post and you may be able to get some barend shifters for the road bike because they will work in friction mode with almost any combination.
Old 08-08-08, 04:21 PM
advicepig

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
If you want a set of shifters on the stem, you should be able to pick up a used set and fit those on, especially if you don't need indexed shifting.