Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

Camping etiquette

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Camping etiquette

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-16, 11:23 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Here we go again! This sounds very suspiciously like another thread wherein fraudulent claims were made and bogus documents were posted then removed.

Readers beware taking anything Ty says as truth or ability for you to do likewise. A LOT of his posts will result in you doing illegal camping if you do as he says he does.

Cheers
Except they weren't and I proved it. I've gotten special permission from a few towns along my ride. Maybe 10 out of the 90 that I emailed. Better than none. I've attached a few more emails. Two denying my request and two approving them.

I'm not saying others can do likewise. I wouldn't suggest doing it unless you have permission. All I'm saying is that it's worth trying. So what if ~80 of the towns either said no or didn't reply. The ~10 that approved my request were more than worth the hours of emails sent out.

Happy trolling!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
image.jpg (95.4 KB, 20 views)
image.jpg (97.7 KB, 18 views)
image.jpg (94.2 KB, 21 views)
image.jpg (110.0 KB, 16 views)
Old 02-05-16, 12:33 PM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18409 Post(s)
Liked 15,523 Times in 7,325 Posts
Originally Posted by Miele Man
Here we go again! This sounds very suspiciously like another thread wherein fraudulent claims were made and bogus documents were posted then removed.
And like when a blatantly false claim made on another forum was deleted before a screen shot wad made.

Wonder when he will realize that quoting me is pointless.
Old 02-05-16, 01:03 PM
Miele Man

Bikes: iele Latina, Miele Suprema, Miele Uno LS, Miele Miele Beta, MMTB, Bianchi Model Unknown, Fiori Venezia, Fiori Napoli, VeloSport Adamas AX

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1324 Post(s)
Liked 927 Times in 640 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
And like when a blatantly false claim made on another forum was deleted before a screen shot wad made.

Wonder when he will realize that quoting me is pointless.
I already copied those recently posted documents and made a screen capture of his post. If I was in the USA or had free long distance calling I'd phone the numbers on those posted emails and confirm that the people mentioned in them are real and that permission was given. Notice that it's another CANCER RIDE? It'll be interesting to see how this plays out.

Cheers
Old 02-05-16, 11:46 PM
Doug64

Mentioned: 31 Post(s)
Quoted: 1182 Post(s)
Liked 833 Times in 435 Posts
Originally Posted by Ty0604
I'm not sure. I'm doing my ride to raise money for cancer awareness and emailed every town along my route to ask about camping for free in their city parks.
Just curious, What is your plan for raising money for cancer awareness? What exactly is the money going to be used for to increase awareness? What charity? Who is paying for your trip?
Old 02-06-16, 02:58 AM
Erick L
Lentement mais sûrement

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Once a group took over a shelter with a loud stereo. I was washing my dishes when a guy asked if I was the guy on a bike. Yes, I replied. Then I asked him if he was with the music. Yes, he said. Then I asked "could you turn it down... otherwise I'll turn it off with a baseball bat". It worked. Frankly, if I had not met the guy at the sink, I don't think I would've have gone to the shelter and face the whole group by myself. This was still early evening.

My sister got some people kicked out of the Tunnel Mountain campground in Banff. She hesitated at first but finally called someone (don't remember who). Police came and kicked them out promptly. Neighbors were thankful the next morning.

It doesn't take much. People talking on the next site is enough. Once, two guys were trying to get into some girls' pants (half their age at least). I could hear every words. Creepy.

Last edited by Erick L; 02-06-16 at 03:12 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 09:37 AM
Ty0604
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Fuji Jari

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 227 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doug64
Just curious, What is your plan for raising money for cancer awareness? What exactly is the money going to be used for to increase awareness? What charity? Who is paying for your trip?
Hi Doug. I have people sponsoring me for my ride. Mostly friends but have had request for sponsorship letters from strangers based on word of mouth. I like meeting people and I tell strangers my story every chance I get.

Example: I was riding the Sounder in Seattle last month when I noticed an older gentleman with a suitcase so I asked where he was going. Well long story short he was in Seattle to receive chemotherapy for his cancer and was on his way back home to another state. So he's one of the strangers who I've met who wants to donate.

I'm not sure how they're going to use it but the money will be going to the Fred Hutchinson Cancer Research Center in Seattle. Despite being relatively new they're one of the leading CRCs in the country.

Im paying for my own ride. I took $5000 out of savings for my ride and used another $1000ish on gear. My goal is to donate anything left from the $5000 to the charity.

I just set up my website a few days ago. It's not live yet and hasn't been sent out to supporters. It'll be going out in a letter in March. It still needs a lot of work too. Everyone making a donation will be donating directly to FHCRC so I won't touch any of the money myself.

Again you're the first to see it aside from me and FHCRC and its at its bare minimum right now.

https://give.everydayhero.com/us/portland2portland#/

Hope I answered all of your questions.
Old 02-06-16, 09:46 AM
hilltowner

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by Walter S
Or wild camp with even more privacy.
+1

Here is a "campsite" from a trip on the ECT just east of Mohawk, NY. At dusk found two trees that were spaced well enough for the hammock. Got up not long after sunrise and apart from some early morning joggers saw, and heard, no one while I was there.
Attached Images
100_7309.jpg (99.7 KB, 14 views)
100_7308.jpg (101.1 KB, 13 views)

Last edited by hilltowner; 02-06-16 at 09:57 AM.