Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Headset - Child's Racer (old)

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 02-10-21, 10:12 AM
ahilito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hello, I've got an issue with a headset on this racer which I've got for my daughter (1st attachment). We left it hanging in my landlord's garage for a year because it was too big for her and somewhere along the line someone has clearly had a go at it because upon taking it back down the lower and upper headtube race are clearly missing as well as the ball-bearings. I'm writing with 2 questions.

1. Is this attached photo from the Sheldon Brown website the right thing to be going off for all the parts I will need?
2. As it stands the headset seems to be wedged into the fork even though the long bolt running through the stem for the handlebars is loose. That seems odd to me, but I'm also not 100% sure how to get it out, I'm a bit worried that it's already beyond repair, or that I push it too far.

Old 02-10-21, 10:34 AM
cbrstar
BMX Connoisseur

Bikes: 1988 Kuwahara Newport, 1983 Nishiki, 1984 Diamond Back Viper, 1991 Dyno Compe

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 399 Post(s)
Liked 108 Times in 69 Posts
I would just buy another headset like the one in your picture instead of trying to piece one together. That way you know everything fits nice. At the bottom of the stem there is a wedge that the bolt screws into. Screw the bolt back into it but not all the way so some of the bolt sticks up and then give the bolt a gentle tap with the hammer to knock the wedge loose. Once that is loose and you have put some penetrating oil down the fork/stem. You are going to twist the handle bars to break them free. I usually hold the front wheel between my knees as I twist but there is probably better methods.
Old 02-10-21, 10:44 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6178 Post(s)
Liked 4,796 Times in 3,308 Posts
Yes, it appears someone filched your upper and lower headsets. Unless you are a compulsive DIY'er and have to absolutely do it yourself, then I'd say take it to a local bike shop and let them deal with it.

If you've never done it before, then getting the correct size parts can be more daunting a task than putting them on and adjusting.

Looks like the front brake adjuster screw is broken too. The bike shop will likely fix that for you too at a very nominal charge if you have them do the headset, as they probably have adjuster screws in the spare parts bins.

Last edited by Iride01; 02-10-21 at 10:48 AM.
Old 02-10-21, 11:19 AM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4335 Post(s)
Liked 3,958 Times in 2,646 Posts
Yeah I would do a new headset and let your local shop do it.

You have a really cool bike! Don't skimp out and get it done right.
Old 02-10-21, 01:11 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
This is a relatively easy DIY project that not a lot of special tools are required... but you need to understand certain concepts and measurements.
Familiarize yourself with "stack height", JIS and ISO headset measurements including crown race.

Installing the cups can normally be accomplished with threaded rod and washers if one is reasonably careful. That likely needs a fairly short stack height headset and a good value for the money is a Tange Levin which comes in both JIS & ISO and crown races can be mixed & Matched. A low cost Harbor freight digital caliper will go a long way toward determining what headset cups and crown race are needed (ISO/JIS).

The stem looks mostly out already just needs the bolt tapped down to release the wedge.

FWIW the front brake adjust looks fine just spun upside down, but it looks like the brake spring is popped out of where it belongs.

https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...dset-standards
https://velo-orange.blogspot.com/201...ack-em-up.html
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...eadset-service
https://www.parktool.com/blog/repair...on-quill-stems
Old 02-11-21, 03:08 AM
ahilito

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for all the responses. I was pretty set on taking it to the bike shop, normally not my preference. But now dedhed's got me considering having a crack at it.

Thank you all
Old 02-11-21, 03:46 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2742 Post(s)
Liked 3,389 Times in 2,052 Posts
Originally Posted by ahilito
Thanks for all the responses. I was pretty set on taking it to the bike shop, normally not my preference. But now dedhed's got me considering having a crack at it.

Thank you all
Old 02-11-21, 04:36 PM
Unca_Sam
The dropped

Bikes: Pake C'Mute Touring/Commuter Build, 1989 Kona Cinder Cone, 1995 Trek 5200, 1973 Raleigh Super Course FG, 1960/61 Montgomery Ward Hawthorne "thrift" 3 speed, by Hercules (sold) : 1966 Schwinn Deluxe Racer (sold)

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 1739 Post(s)
Liked 1,014 Times in 696 Posts
Why steal a headset, and not the bike? I mean, there's a story there, because knocking out the cups requires preparation, not to mention removing the fork. And then to put the fork back on, along with the locknut?

It's like a cat burglar for headsets.

Rant over: +1 to the advice to just replace it. With a bike part cat burglar around, though, you should do a thorough check all over.
Old 02-12-21, 07:01 AM
reconnaissance

Bikes: Trek 850, Trek 510, Cannondale 300m, Specialized Rockhopper, Stumpjumper, Bianchi Virata

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 112 Times in 38 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01

Looks like the front brake adjuster screw is broken too. The bike shop will likely fix that for you too at a very nominal charge if you have them do the headset, as they probably have adjuster screws in the spare parts bins.
On close inspection, the brake adjustment barrel is there, just doing what they do when the cable is missing—flopped upside down. be careful not to lose it if it falls out.