Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Cycling Article ... critique

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Cycling Article ... critique

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-05, 07:43 AM
norton
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Let's not forget that my58vw is a catergory 5 racer.....Too much editorial perfection may lose some of the naive charm....(Not that there's anything wrong with that!....someday he might be in the TdF, as savvy as Lance.....or a writer, like the late, great Saul Bellow....)

Perhaps his writing can keep pace with his.....I'm sure....rapid advance through the categories....

He's obviously getting a lot of helpful advice & coaching through the forum.....the 2 Rs.....ridin' & 'ritin'....
Old 04-07-05, 08:00 AM
DXchulo
Upgrading my engine

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
yah becuz all dem dare cat 5 racerz r two dum too punktuate n spel wonce we win sum racez are brainz r jus gonna grow all nice n big
Old 04-07-05, 09:05 AM
norton
EmperorNorton II

Bikes: Dahon Helios SL, 1975 Stephen Rogers Custom, 05 Catrike Speed....(in the past) a tandem & a Vacuum Velocipede

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DXchulo
yah becuz all dem dare cat 5 racerz r two dum too punktuate n spel wonce we win sum racez are brainz r jus gonna grow all nice n big

Touche'.....
Old 04-07-05, 09:07 AM
Sawtooth
All Bikes All The Time

Bikes: Giant TCR 0, Lemond Zurich, Giant NRS 1, Jamis Explorer Beater/Commuter, Peugeot converted single speed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I think you have a gift for imagery. Having never participated in a race before, your article made me feel the excitement and want to begin racing even more. I loved reading it.

I do have some editorial comments that I have tried to ensure were not previously mentioned.
1. Your tense changes many times throughout the article from past to present. I personally like the present as it takes the reader right there in the moment but it is usually best to pick one and stick with it.
2. I think you meant to say "the suffering BEGINS" in the first sentence of paragraph 3.
3. In paragraph 5 you use the phrase "the look on others faces tells the story" for the second time. This sounds redundant without something to reference the first use. Even something as simple as "AGAIN, THE LOOK ON THE FACES OF OTHERS TELLS THE STORY" would make it less redundant. Also, "others" as you have used it needs to have an apostrophe showing possession.
4. In paragraph 6, you could make the first sentence flow better by saying "Racing is a process; FROM every race you learn something new". Remember that the semicolon can be used as a supercomma (separating two distinct sections of the sentence, each with multiple commas) or as a divider between two sentences that say roughly the same thing.
5. In paragraph 6 your sentence regarding friendships is difficult to read. I suggest the following use of punctuation: "You meet many new people, some new, some old; friendships FORMED in a common interest, bound by suffering and pain." I loved your imagery here, by the way.
6. The next sentence is incomplete and might better read: "SUCH friends support you when you are down, get dropped or have a bad race."
7. The next sentence is a little hard to follow in the part about people you talk to but have never "MEET". I am not sure what you are trying to say here.
8. You final paragraph is a run-on sentence and, as such, does not close as strongly as it could. I think you could make it stronger by separating the ideas. I might suggest "In the end, bicycle racing is hard, but the sense of accomplishment is unbeatable. Whether you win or finish last, there is nothing like bicycle racing."

That's all. Overall, a great draft! I really enjoyed it. Thanks for sharing.
Old 04-07-05, 09:33 AM
my58vw
Meow!

Bikes: Trek 2100 Road Bike, Full DA10, Cervelo P2K TT bike, Full DA10, Giant Boulder Steel Commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks, I am in the next revision of the articel so I will send it your way when it is ready...
Old 04-07-05, 11:05 AM
jazzy_cyclist

Bikes: Cannondale R600

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I agree with most of the others here -- excellent descriptive content, but needs some grammatical corrections.
Old 04-07-05, 11:23 AM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
don't you go to school

why not take this to the university writing center

also, make sure you print it out and edit it that way, you've already seen it onscreen, paper gives a different perspective

maybe ask the forum for bike tips, and ask university writing center for writing tips. specialization is a good thing.

comments from a bike forum will be 1) all over the place 2) people not being critical enough because they ride bikes and they're your friends, and you wrote something about bikes, so.... it's gotta be good.

U N I V E R S I T Y W R I T I N G C E N T E R

(might as well, you're paying for it)
Old 04-07-05, 05:00 PM
theopowers
drink slinger

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ziggurat
maybe ask the forum for bike tips, and ask university writing center for writing tips. specialization is a good thing.
comments from a bike forum will be 1) all over the place 2) people not being critical enough because they ride bikes and they're your friends, and you wrote something about bikes, so.... it's gotta be good.
On the other hand, the forum seems to have several professional writers and editors, while the university writing center may be staffed with English Lit grad students who want you to imitate Hemingway.

And audience research is critical to good magazine writing. What better place than here?

Not that visiting the writing center is a bad idea, but I'm sure our up-and-coming bike writer will be able to separate the wheat from the chaff in this string.
Old 04-07-05, 05:23 PM
Serpico
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
and any advice (when you know need criticism) that says "great, I like it" a dozen+ times is bad advice

anyways theo, sorry to be simon cowell to your paula abdul

you get a ton of nice guy points though, use them wisely
Old 04-08-05, 10:45 PM
drroebuck
Ride.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I would lose the entire first paragraph and start with "There is nothing like your first race..."
Old 04-09-05, 07:09 AM
Hipcycler
OCP

Bikes: The kind with two wheels

Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
Hire Zig as your agent vw...