Search
Notices
Track Cycling: Velodrome Racing and Training Area Looking to enter into the realm of track racing? Want to share your experiences and tactics for riding on a velodrome? The Track Cycling forums is for you! Come in and discuss training/racing, equipment, and current track cycling events.

Race Tactics

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-15, 10:11 AM
carleton
Elitist

Mentioned: 88 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1386 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 77 Posts
Originally Posted by Impreza_aL
Speaking of going up track peep this Swiss rider on the bell lap.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?feature=...&v=cEI1jp2zQsE
He got pushed up by the American (Gil Hatton of TTown!) who went from just above the Sprinter's line to nearly touching the Stayer's line.

Back then, Keirins were rough and tumble with lots of sweeping* and banging.

* Sweeping is waving your wheels up track to make people go high as they pass you.

Skip to 3:15:

Last edited by carleton; 12-09-15 at 10:16 AM.
Old 12-09-15, 02:17 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
sorry i was on the can when i watching on my phone. just looked at it on my computer and you're right. i wonder if that move helped him get a good kick coming out of 2.

we had a racer do that all the time at hellyer "dave mccook". i like do that move if i commit to the sprinters lane early. i don't ever go above the sprinters lane though. just enough flick in hopes the rider who is trying pass soft pedals for a second.
Old 12-09-15, 02:32 PM
carleton
Elitist

sorry i was on the can when i watching on my phone. just looked at it on my computer and you're right. i wonder if that move helped him get a good kick coming out of 2.

we had a racer do that all the time at hellyer "dave mccook". i like do that move if i commit to the sprinters lane early. i don't ever go above the sprinters lane though. just enough flick in hopes the rider who is trying pass soft pedals for a second.
Some tracks allow it and some don't (for obvious reasons).

Watch for lots of sweeping in this race:

Also: Notice how the teammates worked together.

Bonus random fact: The guy driving the pace motorcycle is the US rider from the video that you posted above. Small world, huh?
Old 12-09-15, 08:24 PM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts

McCook has beaten me with this move. Where is that guy?
Old 12-09-15, 09:03 PM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
i do it too, usually if i'm leading out a sprint and suffering on that last half a lap. i'll be nailed to the black line on the backstraight and then flick right up to the red going through turns 3 and 4, forcing somebody wide, and then exiting turn 4 i'll slam right back down to the black line to get just a smidgeon of that speed.

i've seen some videos of the end of races and i've forced riders to go wider than they would have wanted, otherwise, and i've beaten them by a tire's width at the line - that tactic has won me races.
Old 12-10-15, 09:18 AM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Baby Puke
McCook has beaten me with this move. Where is that guy?

https://www.tourdetaiwan.org.tw/team/19TPE/22-TPE_Demo.htm

apparently he's the sports director for taipei cycling team...
Old 12-10-15, 09:21 AM
Baby Puke

Bikes: Marin Stelvio, Pogliaghi SL, Panasonic NJS, Dolan DF4, Intense Pro24 BMX

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 365 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 58 Posts

https://www.tourdetaiwan.org.tw/team/19TPE/22-TPE_Demo.htm

apparently he's the sports director for taipei cycling team...
Wow, that's awesome!
Old 01-07-16, 06:25 AM
MrMinty

Bikes: Cannondale Caad8, Claud Butler Roubaix, Raleigh Equipe

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've never thought until yesterday how wind on outdoor tracks can be used to your advantage. Not sure if it has been covered, so I'll give my run down (I'm an enduro, so my tactics are based on that)

If there is a headwind down one of the straights, you do not want to be at the front. Sit in the pack at this point. If you do have to do a turn, do it on the other straight where there is a tail wind. My local track has a prevailing cross/head wind in the back straight and you can definitely feel this as you come out of turn 2

Crosswinds are a bit more tricky. Basically you want to be at the side of another rider that is shielding you from the wind, especially if it is a cross-head. If you line up an attack at the point on the bank where the cross wind is behind you, you'll have an extra little boost for the attack (and by the time others react, they won't gain as much benefit)

Try and scout out what direction the wind is blowing as soon as you arrive at the track. Check things such as which way trees are blowing or flags are waving in the wind. It may just help you out. Other things such as seating, fencing etc may also play a part in the wind blowing across track
Old 01-07-16, 08:38 AM
Velocirapture

Bikes: S-1 :-D

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MrMinty
I've never thought until yesterday how wind on outdoor tracks can be used to your advantage. Not sure if it has been covered, so I'll give my run down (I'm an enduro, so my tactics are based on that)

If there is a headwind down one of the straights, you do not want to be at the front. Sit in the pack at this point. If you do have to do a turn, do it on the other straight where there is a tail wind. My local track has a prevailing cross/head wind in the back straight and you can definitely feel this as you come out of turn 2

Crosswinds are a bit more tricky. Basically you want to be at the side of another rider that is shielding you from the wind, especially if it is a cross-head. If you line up an attack at the point on the bank where the cross wind is behind you, you'll have an extra little boost for the attack (and by the time others react, they won't gain as much benefit)

Try and scout out what direction the wind is blowing as soon as you arrive at the track. Check things such as which way trees are blowing or flags are waving in the wind. It may just help you out. Other things such as seating, fencing etc may also play a part in the wind blowing across track
+1
And if the track is slightly longer than you are used to racing on, and the wind is home straight, beware of attacking before or just out of turn 4 when going for the line - leave the front guys to tire themselves out attacking into the wind, and come around them further in for the win

There is also a lot of debate regarding the best way to ride a pursuit on an open and windy track - but i'll leave those comments to the pursuiters.
Old 04-05-16, 01:16 PM
carleton
Elitist

Anybody got any new (even older) videos to share with commentary?
Old 04-14-16, 09:02 AM
SprintzNKiloz

Bikes: LOOK 675, Dolan DF4, Casati Gold Line, Litespeed Classic, Felt TR2

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=61TT...Yblu7&index=12

First round... intrigued by the move where Kenny rides high on the straight then uses the banking to close the gap. He barely lost, but it seems like it should be a super effective move in so long as you don't scrub too much speed up the hill.
Old 04-14-16, 07:46 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
razor thin timing on that one! if Glaetzer had kicked it would of been over.. seemed a little late in the game for that move..
Old 04-14-16, 07:47 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
That's not to close the gap. There was no real gap before that move. Riding high like that creates a gap, and allows you to use the banking to take a run at your opponent. Timed properly, running into your opponents slipstream makes for faster passing.
Old 04-14-16, 07:56 PM
Quinn8it

Bikes: Bianchi Pista, Bianchi Vigorelli

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
i agree- and he timed it properly...
Old 05-28-16, 07:00 AM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
How to not do a team sprint.
Decided at the last minute to do a team sprint. None of us had done one before, I hadn't even watched one not sure about the others and until then wasn't on my list of things to do. After some brief discussion it was decided I would lead off, hit it hard and they would keep up which didn't work out so well. Adjusted for distance we finished ~5 seconds slower than the FL state master champions. Those guys probably knew what they were doing so I'll take it.
https://youtu.be/ifHrtOBeNt4

Last edited by skysurfer; 05-28-16 at 07:11 AM.
Old 05-28-16, 08:12 AM
queerpunk
aka mattio

Bikes: yes

Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by skysurfer
How to not do a team sprint.
Decided at the last minute to do a team sprint. None of us had done one before, I hadn't even watched one not sure about the others and until then wasn't on my list of things to do. After some brief discussion it was decided I would lead off, hit it hard and they would keep up which didn't work out so well. Adjusted for distance we finished ~5 seconds slower than the FL state master champions. Those guys probably knew what they were doing so I'll take it.
https://youtu.be/ifHrtOBeNt4
Well, that's a common experience for people who haven't done a team sprint before!
A decent rule of thumb for the team set-up is that your fastest starter goes first, your person with the best top speed goes second, and your person with the best endurance goes third.

Separating on the first lap is common, and it takes training to accelerate fast but steadily. Something that works for amateur teams is for the starter to go kind of easy through the first couple turns and wait to hear "on" or "ease" from the teammates behind.
Old 05-28-16, 08:51 AM
skysurfer

Bikes: TI Sports/Fuji retired pro TT, Fuji track comp, Trek 660 since new.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by queerpunk
Well, that's a common experience for people who haven't done a team sprint before!
Separating on the first lap is common, and it takes training to accelerate fast but steadily. Something that works for amateur teams is for the starter to go kind of easy through the first couple turns and wait to hear "on" or "ease" from the teammates behind.
Good to hear, I think we got the order right just not well executed. Will have another chance at it in a couple of weeks will see if we can better it.
Old 05-28-16, 03:41 PM
carleton
Elitist

Wait...did she say. "Are you ready?! 3...2...Go!"

When in doubt, put the strongest rider in 2nd position. That's a good rule of thumb for teams that form at an event and don't really know much about each other.

Adjusted for distance we finished ~5 seconds slower than the FL state master champions.
BTW...you might want to check out who holds the Team Sprint Track Record there

Track Records | The Dick Lane Velodrome
Old 05-28-16, 04:28 PM
carleton
Elitist

Originally Posted by skysurfer
Good to hear, I think we got the order right just not well executed. Will have another chance at it in a couple of weeks will see if we can better it.
In my humble opinion, your order was wrong.

If Man1 drops the other two, that means Man2 is riding 2 laps with no aid from Man1. Man1 may as well not even be there. He's not helping.

There are ways to mitigate this, but they are more advanced than you guys are at this point. The main way to mitigate this (for advanced teams) is with gearing. If Man1 is head-and-shoulders faster than the other two out of the blocks, then you raise his gear several inches to slow him down so that Man2 can get his wheel. Man1 will still accelerate harder, but at a slower rate. The 2 major benefits are: 1) Man1 never drops Man2 and Man2 gets to benefit from drafting Man1 especially leading up to the exchange. 2) Man1 is still accelerating (as opposed to being stagnant or worse, decelerating) during the exchange. This way Man2 can actually speed up into the exchange and carry on to an excellent 2nd lap.

My advice to you and your team:

- Practice it.
- Don't let the first time you do a team sprint be during the event.
- Practice standing starts
- Practice high-speed exchanges
- Practice with different gears

Team Sprint is an event that is present from local events all the way to the Olympics! It should be given as much diligent study and practice as any of the others...if you want to win it
Old 05-28-16, 05:59 PM
taras0000
Lapped 3x

Quoted: 325 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 20 Posts
To add to Carleton's advice, make sure that man 2 and 3 are not sandbagging their start so that they can quickly fall in line behind man 1. Man 1 should be a naturally faster starter. He will get ahead on his own, and you can use the larger radius in the banking to "get behind him". You should be going a similar, if not slightly slower speed than Man 1 (because he is naturally faster), but his slipstream will suck you along once you drop in. If you sand bag the start to let him get ahead, then when you get behind him, you are going to slow, he is going to fast, and you will never make up that speed differential. All three of you are doing your own individual start, heading straight out of the blocks (not down the banking), and only falling in when the guy below you gets ahead. That is how you should be practicing. If you still find discrepancies between your abilities, then you resort to tuning the gearing of the riders.
Old 10-17-17, 12:59 AM
carleton
Elitist

Azizul Awang offering a Master Class on how to control a race from the front:

Round 1:

Round 2, even better: