Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

The elite´s embrace of all things electric

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

The elite´s embrace of all things electric

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-18, 03:18 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
What's strange to me about the "you're just upset that you don't have enough money" comments is that clearly there's so much more than money to want. Money and wealth and the newest bestest technology has always been a status symbol. I love my bike. I just wish I could talk to some of the more serious athletic roadies and find some group rides without being afraid of getting treated like garbage.

Just my 2 cents and probably all I'll say on the subject.
Old 08-07-18, 10:10 AM
Wildwood 
Veteran, Pacifist

Bikes: Bikes??? Thought this was social media?!?

Mentioned: 284 Post(s)
Quoted: 3898 Post(s)
Liked 4,830 Times in 2,228 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
Hardly real world? I don't know how things are in your town, but here in LA I assure you those drawing are no exaggeration. Super Big Gulp and all. You must be walking around with blinders on? What is more likely is that they will simply encroach upon the precious little space now designated for traditional cyclist.
Get out of LA, maybe the blinders are locally imposed.
E-bikes are hardly contributing to overweight humans.
Maybe LA should limit soda sizes, fast food, LaZBoy recliners and TV. A free e- bike for anyone who eliminates those 4 things. Reduce America's medical budget deficit.

Last edited by Wildwood; 08-07-18 at 09:45 PM.
Old 08-07-18, 10:42 AM
FBOATSB

Mentioned: 27 Post(s)
Quoted: 912 Post(s)
Liked 515 Times in 344 Posts
Originally Posted by dedhed
What are all those white things I see driving down I-65 on my way to Kentucky?

Indiana | Meadow Lake Wind Farm
They're all over the place around here. Among the Worlds largest. We call them "bird blenders". PSA to all migratory fowl: "Learn to bypass Indiana"
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wind_power_in_Indiana
Old 08-07-18, 11:34 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I remember mopeds also being controversial. That was in the 1970s, which is when I remember them taking off in a big way.
I don't remember mopeds ever "taking off in a big way" in the U.S.
Old 08-07-18, 11:45 AM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by I-Like-To-Bike
I don't remember mopeds ever "taking off in a big way" in the U.S.
There was a bit of a moped boom in the 1970s. This Wikipedia post mentions it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped#...ntries/regions

Scroll down to the entry for the United States and you'll read:

"Prior to the 1970s, use of mopeds in the United States was relatively rare due to legal restrictions on the devices in many states. ... Because of the problems caused by the 1970s energy crisis, mopeds quickly became popular, with more than 250,000 people in the United States owning one in 1977. "

I lived through all that, and I remember mopeds coming out of nowhere to be a thing. They had pedals at first, but the pedals soon went away. Customers wanted the "vroom!" No one wanted to actually pedal the things.
Old 08-07-18, 11:51 AM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
how is soy milk not milk and how does it compare to e-bikes?
Milk is produced exclusively by mammals. "Soy milk" is soy juice.
Bicycles are propelled exclusively by human power. "e-bikes" have a motor.
Old 08-07-18, 11:56 AM
I-Like-To-Bike
Been Around Awhile

Bikes: Vaterland and Ragazzi

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 1,532 Times in 1,043 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
There was a bit of a moped boom in the 1970s. This Wikipedia post mentions it:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moped#...ntries/regions

Scroll down to the entry for the United States and you'll read:

"Prior to the 1970s, use of mopeds in the United States was relatively rare due to legal restrictions on the devices in many states. ... Because of the problems caused by the 1970s energy crisis, mopeds quickly became popular, with more than 250,000 people in the United States owning one in 1977. "

I lived through all that, and I remember mopeds coming out of nowhere to be a thing. They had pedals at first, but the pedals soon went away. Customers wanted the "vroom!" No one wanted to actually pedal the things.
If someone mentioned it ("250,000 people in the United States owning one in 1977" without any reference) in a Wikipedia post, it must be so. You may remember "a thing", I remember hardly ever seeing anyone riding a moped anywhere; a small motorcycle always made far more sense than a moped for almost every practical transportation purpose. Was true in 1977 and is still true today.
Old 08-07-18, 12:41 PM
nasabiker

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Reynolds
Milk is produced exclusively by mammals. "Soy milk" is soy juice.
Bicycles are propelled exclusively by human power. "e-bikes" have a motor.
that's why they call them e-bikes not bikes- do de lineate the difference between the two. motocycle- is a bicycle with a motor. a bicycle is technically any vehicle with 2 wheels.
Old 08-07-18, 01:29 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer
What's strange to me about the "you're just upset that you don't have enough money" comments is that clearly there's so much more than money to want. Money and wealth and the newest bestest technology has always been a status symbol. I love my bike. I just wish I could talk to some of the more serious athletic roadies and find some group rides without being afraid of getting treated like garbage.

I've seen people get annoyed by folks who were way too slow for a particular group, but I have never seen anyone complain about someone using too cheap of a bike. Most people don't care, and if they do make fun of you it's probably in a joking manner.
Old 08-07-18, 04:54 PM
trailangel

Bikes: Schwinn Varsity

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1931 Post(s)
Liked 742 Times in 422 Posts
Originally Posted by Stormy Archer

It's a fast lonely existence ... riding an ebike.

So much plain wrong info put forth by fuddy-duddys that have never ridden an ebike.

You can get just as much exercise, or maybe more with an ebike.
Just because Class 1 ebikes shut off at 20mph doesn't mean that's all the fast they will go.
You nannies need only worry about yourselves.....let the rest of us do as we please.. within the law.
Old 08-07-18, 09:02 PM
Reynolds 
Passista

Bikes: 1998 Pinarello Asolo, 1992 KHS Montaña pro, 1980 Raleigh DL-1, IGH Hybrid, IGH Utility

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 866 Post(s)
Liked 721 Times in 396 Posts
Originally Posted by trailangel
It's a fast lonely existence ... riding an ebike.

So much plain wrong info put forth by fuddy-duddys that have never ridden an ebike.

You can get just as much exercise, or maybe more with an ebike.
Just because Class 1 ebikes shut off at 20mph doesn't mean that's all the fast they will go.
You nannies need only worry about yourselves.....let the rest of us do as we please.. within the law.
I`'m a proud fuddy-duddy and retrogrouch.
That cleared, are you saying that if I don't get enough exercise on my current pedal-powered-only bicycle I should buy an e-bike? Perhaps you get a lot of exercise when your battery dies and you have to pedal 30 miles back home.
I have nothing against e-bikes or people who ride them - just don't call them bicycles.
Old 08-07-18, 09:31 PM
Tape2012

Bikes: 2017 Ribble CX5

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 704 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Milton Keynes
The one thing I've never understood is why a weekend Harley rider thinks they have to dress down and look the part of a biker gang member when they ride. Take any respected doctor or lawyer who might dress in a suit during the week, but on the weekend they dress like Sleazy McScrotebag. I guess it's just a motorcycle thing, but it just makes them look like fakers.
Originally Posted by ksryder
What's the difference between a Harley and a Dustbuster?

Placement of the dirtbag.
As opposed to what? Cyclists who dress homeless during the week and then like walking billboards in spandex on a bike?

Last I heard people are allowed to wear what they want, but cyclists critiquing fashion is rich.

Some people like me have more than one hobby, I enjoy cycling, hiking, dirt biking, sailing, etc. Why do people in one group feel the need to put others down?
Old 08-08-18, 02:40 AM
Stormy Archer
Peugeot PSV10 or somethin

Bikes: yes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 14 Times in 10 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
I've seen people get annoyed by folks who were way too slow for a particular group, but I have never seen anyone complain about someone using too cheap of a bike. Most people don't care, and if they do make fun of you it's probably in a joking manner.
Not afraid of people complaining, afraid of getting treated like garbage like I said. Not all jokes are harmless. Also people can make fun of a lot more than someone's bike, if they try, and believe me they do. But I guess I'm getting off topic.
Old 08-08-18, 03:09 AM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
Originally Posted by Tape2012
As opposed to what? Cyclists who dress homeless during the week and then like walking billboards in spandex on a bike?

Last I heard people are allowed to wear what they want, but cyclists critiquing fashion is rich.

Some people like me have more than one hobby, I enjoy cycling, hiking, dirt biking, sailing, etc. Why do people in one group feel the need to put others down?
Why would you think cycling is exclusive from criticism? Would you wear a pair of Florsheims to the gym? Or skinny jeans to soccer practice?

Like it or not, accept it or not, what someone wears say a lot about them. But not everyone that rides a bike is a pro, or even an enthusiast. You can ride in casual clothes but if you think its OK to ride in PJs or wear a Speedo, don't be surprise if people talk.
Old 08-08-18, 09:33 AM
cb400bill
Forum Moderator

Bikes: Fuji SL2.1 Carbon Di2 Cannondale Synapse Alloy 4 Trek Checkpoint ALR-5 Viscount Aerospace Pro Colnago Classic Rabobank Schwinn Waterford PMount Raleigh C50 Cromoly Hybrid Legnano Tipo Roma Pista

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 3089 Post(s)
Liked 6,587 Times in 3,777 Posts
This thread has strayed too far off topic to be saved.

Closed.