Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

I get it now. Retail has changed.

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

I get it now. Retail has changed.

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-18, 10:32 PM
jlmonte

Bikes: Colnago Brain, Master Bi-Titanio, Vitus 979, Specialized Roubaix, Salsa Marrakesh, and a couple of Treks

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 82 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 27 Posts
I have made it a point to endear myself at a few LBSs. It is like going to Floyd the barber to BS a while get a C&S, only at the LBS you debate disc brakes, and buy a new widget every once in a while. Kids today will get there. We have to teach them how to be a proper customer. Then once you enter a store and everybody knows your name, priceless.
Old 09-06-18, 10:47 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I use my LBS for lots of things still, but not everything.

I don't, for instance, pimp them by trying things out there and then buying online; if I try it at the LBS, I'll buy it at the LBS (if they have it, of course).

I recognize the value of brick-and-mortar stores, especially for something like a bike that I would like to try before I buy.

But, when I know exactly what I want, and can wait a couple of days for it, I'll order online (e.g., a pair of shoes; cleats, pedals).

It's complicated; I don't want the LBS to disappear, but I don't want to pay significantly more, and have to get in my car, to buy everything.
Old 09-07-18, 07:48 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Example from me:

Last weekend, I wanted to buy new mountain bike shoes. I went to my local LBS, a store famous for being one of the best bike stores in the entire Chicago area. A store where I know and like the owner. I walked in willing to pay a bit of a premium to support the shop.
1. They had exactly three different models of mountain bike shoes, all made by Specialized, all from China, two of which were low end.
2. They had my size (a 43, hardly a strange size) only in two models. I considered the top end shoes. They were basic black and not particularly interesting or desirable. Full retail pricing, of course.
3. I was there for right around 20 minutes and no one approached me.
4. I didn't really want to spend ~$240 on a pair of shoes I didn't love, so I left.
5. Total time wasted: ~45 minutes.
6. I go online and buy exactly what I want on Amazon, Prime eligible, for less money.

This has been the common pattern I've seen in bike shops. I walk in, there's nothing I particularly love, I walk out. Retail stores simply don't carry the stuff I want. I'm willing to pay a premium but I'm also hardly a typical consumer in that I'm usually looking for top quality items from small US brands, very specific tools and nerdy crap like Compass tires. Stores will never make money selling what I like. Hybrids, $45 non-bib shorts and $30 Nashbar club-fit jerseys in electric blue are what most people buy. I get it.

I go online and I get:
1. The best possible prices
2. Infinite variety of weirdo stuff from small, made in the USA brands
3. Shipping to my door, no driving anywhere

It's not even a competition anymore for me. I've stopped driving around looking for stuff. The last five bikes/frames I've purchased, I similarly bought online.
Old 09-07-18, 08:39 AM
no motor?
Unlisted member

Bikes: Specialized Hardrock

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1376 Post(s)
Liked 432 Times in 297 Posts
Originally Posted by dennis336
Actually, it was Wayne from TheTouringStore. Hadn't heard of Foxwear but I'll check them out.
Foxwear sells clothing, and it sounds like he sells it the same way they do at The Touring Store. Lew didn't take credit cards when I bought my jacket from him, he wanted me to send him a check after I was happy with it.

Originally Posted by jlmonte
I have made it a point to endear myself at a few LBSs. It is like going to Floyd the barber to BS a while get a C&S, only at the LBS you debate disc brakes, and buy a new widget every once in a while. Kids today will get there. We have to teach them how to be a proper customer. Then once you enter a store and everybody knows your name, priceless.
My LBS is the Performance Store that isn't as local as I'd like. I started shopping there after having gotten help from one of their mechanics and spent most of my time talking with him. I kept shopping there after he got promoted, and came back to return something I'd bought there that wasn't right. The person I talked with said he recognized me from the times I'd been there before, I guess I'd made more of an impression than I thought.
Old 09-09-18, 04:39 AM
Falchoon

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Went to my LBS the other day chasing the cable guide rubber grommets for my biike to convert from cable gears to Di2. My particular model bike never came out with Di2 so I was after the grommets from another model from my brand which I thought should fit. Trying to explain this to the sales guy was like reenacting Abbot and Costello "Who's On First"

Once we worked out "Who's on first" and "what's on second" the guy said they really need to see the bike to see if the grommets from another model are compatible. Fair enough, so I rode out there after work (50km round trip) and when I got there the guy that I wastalking with earlier had gone home and a different guy was there and I had to have the whole "Who's On First" conversation again. He didn't really know/understand what I was doing but took some photos of my bike and the existing cable grommets and said he would talk with the other guy tomorrow when he comes back.

I dropped back to the shop after lunch and spoke with the original guy who said he hadn't seen any pics or had a conversation about my bike with the other guy. Frustrating. Turns out the second guy was actually the shop mechanic. Heaven help the poor riders relying on him to fix their bikes. Luckily I have a very good bike mechanic that fixes bikes from his home workshop, so don't have to deal with shop mechanics (though did put up with poor workmanship for many years until I discovered my current mechanic). I went to see him and he came down and showed the original guy the pics he had taken, which turned out not to be comprehensive enough. First guy needed to know if there was a hole near the BB/seat tube for a cable to feed through. I couldn't remember so I had to go home, take a photo and come back to the shop a 3rd time. The original guy then phoned his supplier who said there was a Di2 grommet kit with derailleur hanger available for my actual model bike for $80. Weird why they would have a Di2 specific grommet kit available for a bike that doesn't come with Di2..I hope they are right after all this mucking around. Even though the Shimano equivalent Di2 grommets are <$10 and I didn't really need the RD hanger I had no other choice but to pay the exorbitant price. Parts should arrive early next week, which will mean a fourth 50km round trip to the LBS. Due to needing bike brand/model specific parts and not aftermarket Shimano or similiar brand I had to order from LBS.

This and price are the main reasons I order 99% of my parts and accessories online.
Old 09-09-18, 11:23 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Falchoon
Turns out the second guy was actually the shop mechanic. Heaven help the poor riders relying on him to fix their bikes. Luckily I have a very good bike mechanic that fixes bikes from his home workshop, so don't have to deal with shop mechanics (though did put up with poor workmanship for many years until I discovered my current mechanic).
I've noticed that a lot of shop mechanics are just some random guy who just reads the instructions or checks youtube and hopes for the best. Not that there's anything wrong with it but it's pretty funny IMHO.