Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

So what's the best bang-for-the-buck in floor pumps these days?

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

So what's the best bang-for-the-buck in floor pumps these days?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-18, 06:07 PM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
Originally Posted by canklecat
.....The only tricky bit with that Nashbar Earl Grey pump is the same with any pump that uses a press-on, lever locking chuck: It's easy to bend Presta valve cores. Helps to just barely crack the Presta valve core open, just enough to bleed off or insert air, without fully unscrewing it and extending the fragile core. But it's not really a bit deal. Most LBS shop pumps I've used have the same types of chucks....
Thanks again for the info. I believe i read some similar advice in one of the reviews. But, my current Blackburn is also a press-on/locking-lever type, so I've long been in the habit of using a shraeder adapter on presta valves, due to them being so fragile (especially when cranking hard on them on the side of the road with a frame pump). Sure, it's kind of a PITA screwing them on and off every time I top-off my tires, but I haven't bent or busted a valve stem, in years now.
Old 10-13-18, 07:14 PM
drlogik 

Bikes: '87-ish Pinarello Montello; '89 Nishiki Ariel; '85 Raleigh Wyoming, '16 Wabi Special, '16 Wabi Classic, '14 Kona Cinder Cone

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 699 Post(s)
Liked 409 Times in 255 Posts
Buy a Silca pump. It will be the last pump you will ever have to buy.
Old 10-13-18, 09:00 PM
ctxcrossx

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I just ordered this yesterday.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I was a little worried because it's a no name pump for under $30, but it seemed to have better praise than any of the blackburn pumps on there, which at least is a known quantity.
Old 10-13-18, 09:10 PM
timsmcm

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have been using the same standard silca road pump for more than 45 years. A couple of seals and leather pump washers. Works like a new one. Would love to try one of the new 400.00 plus silca pumps but that's just not my style. But I do have one of the Lezyne cnc floor mtb high volume pumps for my mtb tires. Man that is a great pump. If it was stolen tomorrow I would replace it as soon as possible.
Old 10-13-18, 09:25 PM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
I have two pumps with plastic bases that cracked. One was just the foot pedal thingy, whatever you call it. I can hold it down with the remaining pedal. The other one cracked along the side, so it would blow open and leak above a certain pressure. I fixed it by filling the crack with Shoe Goo, and holding it together permanently with a hose clamp.

My dream is to find a cheap pump that's all metal, since I figure that I can fix anything else on it. I'm sick of crappy pumps, but too cheap to get a Silca.
Old 10-14-18, 07:13 AM
joesch

Bikes: 83 Colnago Super, 87 50th Daccordi, 79 & 87 Guerciotti's, 90s DB/GT Mtn Bikes, 90s Colnago Master and Titanio, 96 Serotta Colorado TG, 95/05 Colnago C40/C50, 06 DbyLS TI, 08 Lemond Filmore FG SS, 12 Cervelo R3, 20/15 Surly Stragler & Steamroller

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 601 Post(s)
Liked 779 Times in 497 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott
I bought this one which was rather expensive, but very nice.

Lezyne CNC Digital Floor Drive Bicycle Pump

One thing I did discover was that you need to have your valve stems screwed in really tightly, or it will extract them.
I also recommend Lezyne Pumps and got a macro floor model for $39
Old 10-14-18, 07:36 AM
Gesekee19

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
joe blow!
Old 10-15-18, 11:32 AM
jaws7

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've had my Joe Blow Sport II floor pump for over 5 years without one problem.
Old 10-15-18, 11:55 AM
honcho

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 76 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 30 Posts
I am a big fan of the SKS Rennkompressor which is about $55. Made in Germany, cast iron base, leather pump cup, parts available. Was also sold for many years as the Zefal Husky. They have used several different pump heads over the years but the old style and simplest one that comes with a presta adapter on a chain is, in my opinion, the best. I have several of them but I also have an use a variety of Blackburn and Bontrager floor pumps that get the job done as well. I've put SKS pumps in the hands of my kids, brother, at my dad's house and my cycling partners so I know there's a working pump. Silcas are durable pumps but overpriced since the company was purchased and moved to USA to become a boutique brand. No longer produced but sold under many brands was the Medai Top Super which was made in Japan. SKS, Silca, Medai all use leather pump cups, whereas most pumps use O-rings. If you're not in a hurry, I'd look around for a used SKS Rennkompressor, Zefal Husky, Medai Top Super or, if you're a presta only person, a Silca. You may have to invest a bit of time and effort into a hose and head but you'll have a good heavy duty pump.

SKS info
https://www.sks-germany.com/en/products/rennkompressor/
Medai Info
Medai Top Super Bike Pump - the Buyer's Guide, 2015
Old 10-15-18, 12:22 PM
Ungaro

Bikes: '71 Raleigh Professional MK III; '71 Raleigh Pro Track; '88 Bianchi Campione d'Ialia; 2016 Litespeed T5 Gravel; 2012 Cool Fixie; 2017 Bottecchia Leggendaria; 2018 Bottecchia Leggendaria;2008 Electra Townie

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by manapua_man
I've got a Silca floor pump that's probably older than I am. I thought I had packed it in a box but haven't been able to find it yet :/

The new ones are pretty nice too.
I've got 3 Silca's: My Super Pista from 2000; my 2018 Pista; and, a vintage '70's Pista in Molteni Orange. Why three? Well, the Super Pista has been by my side since February 2000. It's pretty bomb proof. Over the years I've maintained it with lube and only recently replaced the rubber gasket (leather washer is still good). After I set up my bike shed this winter, I decided that I needed a pump in my house, as well as in my bike shed. Had my favorite LBS order me a new Pista (yes, in orange). It's got a smaller barrel than the Super Pista, but it rocks. The gauge is accurate within 3%, has a bleed valve, and is rock solid. The third pump came my way not long after, when we were out in Paso Robles for Eroica California. Found it on a table of bargain items at the swap meet - in Molteni orange AND marked $20. Tested it out on my bike, and realized that the gauge was crapped out. Paid $10 for it. Back to my favorite LBS, and they ordered a top of the line replacement gauge from Silca for $22. The old war horse rocks like a champ. The leather washer is in great shape too. Truth be told, if I had found it before I ordered the new pump, I would only have 2. So now, the new Silca stays in the bike room in my house, and it gets used daily. The Super Pista is set up for Shraeder stems, so it's dedicated to the cruiser bikes. The bargain find lives in my bike shed on the tool wall, looking all cool and bad ass, and working like a champ when pressed into service.

Bottom line: Yes, the Silca pumps are more expensive (you probably don't need the new Super Pista, but I'd love to try one!), but it's a lifetime tool. Maintain it, and it will outlive your bikes. So, pay once and cry a little, or pay little and cry often. If I had bought lesser quality pumps over the last 18 years, I would have spent way more than what I have on my Silcas.

Last edited by Ungaro; 10-15-18 at 12:59 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 12:23 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
I've had two Silca track pumps in my life, the first, bought in the early 80s, was stolen. The second which i still have, was bought early 90s. yes, they have user-replaceable parts. i thought this pump was all i needed, but as i grew older, the floor gauge became harder to see. and it tipped over too easily. and the hose would end up on the floor even though there are (bad-designed) hose holders in the handle. the newer models have a clip on the barrel, but silca says you cannot buy that part separately.

ENOUGH.

i bought a Serfas FPD-200 digital when i picked up my latest bike this year. The shop cut the price for me. It has a metal base, metal main tube, nicely formed handles, clips that hold the hose when not in use, the hose is much longer so i can easily fill tires when the bike is in the work stand, fills air quickly, seems very well made (time will tell), and more importantly, has a very nice digital gauge at handle-height. and the valve chuck does both presta and schraeder, without having to change anything.

i thought the Silca was all i would ever need. Topeaks always had mixed reviews. Serfas was never on my radar, but that has changed for me. I've used it on threaded and smooth valve presta valves, as well as schraeder, works fine. Check out this pump. I'm really liking it.

https://www.serfas.com/shop/products...al-floor-pump/

eric/fresno, ca.

Last edited by ericzamora; 10-15-18 at 12:29 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 12:33 PM
JonathanGennick 

Bikes: Priority 600, Priority Continuum, Devinci Dexter

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 55 Times in 37 Posts
Originally Posted by jaws7
I've had my Joe Blow Sport II floor pump for over 5 years without one problem.
I've not been happy with mine. I'll probably give Topeak another chance though.
Old 10-15-18, 12:34 PM
ericzamora
junior

Bikes: 2020 Surly ECR / 2018 Norco Search XR steel gravel bike with GRX / 1983 Bianchi Campione D'Italia / Gary Fisher Wingra / Motobecane Nomade mixte (daughter's)

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 72 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by JonathanGennick
I'll probably give Topeak another chance though.
Why?

eric/fresno, ca.
Old 10-15-18, 12:44 PM
MobiBike

Bikes: 90's Norco Nitro, 90's Softride traveler, 90's Jamis Dakota, 84 Schwinn High Sierra,

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
After all these years

I bought a Blackburn air Tower about 20 plus years ago. And while I am on about the third one Blackburn has always treated me amazingly wonderful and replaced bits pieces or whole pumps that they felt shouldn't have failed because of their warranty so I continue on with the Blackburn's even though I have others and the Blackburn is the one I keep and use the most.

Look past the junk this pump stays on hand with me everywhere I go in the car and has served every single time.
Old 10-15-18, 01:11 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by ericzamora
Why?

eric/fresno, ca.
It's mainly just that the shape of the base never agreed w/me. I have a Joe Blow Sprint, and it took a long time before I became accustomed to which end to face forward and how to plant my feet on the oddly-shaped base, which is a bit tippy as well. Then this next bit is really my own fault: The one-way valving that's inside the pump jammed up somehow for a while, then seemed to sort of get loose again, but even now sometimes the air will flow backward, and I have to hold the pump handle down for a few seconds and let things stabilize before reading the pressure. I chalk this problem up to overheating from overly-vigorous pumping.

Topeak has plenty of models with different design bases, and I'll just choose from those next time.

Last edited by JonathanGennick; 10-15-18 at 01:28 PM.
Old 10-15-18, 01:14 PM
JonathanGennick 

Originally Posted by MobiBike
I bought a Blackburn air Tower about 20 plus years ago. And while I am on about the third one Blackburn has always treated me amazingly wonderful and replaced bits pieces or whole pumps that they felt shouldn't have failed because of their warranty so I continue on with the Blackburn's even though I have others and the Blackburn is the one I keep and use the most.
The best _gauge_ I've seen on a pump happens to be on a Blackburn Chamber HV. Four-inch diameter gauge that I can read with or w/o my glasses. Just 0-50 psi, so the digits are nice and large. Black on orange type. So easy to read. That gauge is a joy to look at. Nice, heavy base too.
Old 10-15-18, 04:03 PM
radroad

Quoted: 343 Post(s)
Liked 31 Times in 24 Posts
I have a performance bike dual head floor pump. It has a locking lever. The pump sucks. You're guaranteed to lose air detaching the head. It's always a trick to simultaneously unlock the lever and pull off the head as quickly as possible.

I don't have a problem with air leaking from my portable (yet bulky) Topeak road morph since it's not dual sided, but the psi gauge only moves in increments of 5 psi at a time, so it's not very accurate.
Old 10-15-18, 04:07 PM
Pilot321

Bikes: 1987 Cannondale SR500

Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by drlogik
Buy a Silca pump. It will be the last pump you will ever have to buy.
I was going to buy a new pump after over 25 years of not riding a bike. Instead I greased the leather washer, and replaced the rubber insert in my chuck on my 31 year old Silca and it works like new!
Old 10-15-18, 07:49 PM
mikemcma

Bikes: Spec. Roubaix, spec Epic mtb, kona mtb.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
So what’s the best bang for the buck in floor pumps these days?

I’ve had a Joe Blow Sport for around 8 years now and it’s still working great. And I use it a lot. I don’t remember what I paid for it though. Around $60 Canadian?🤔
Old 10-16-18, 11:44 AM
Sprecher919

Bikes: 2014 Scott Speedster 20, 2018 Trek Top Fuel 9.8 SL

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drago1010
Joe Blow Sport. I think the twin head works better than the smart head on the Joe Blow pro.
Mine works like a champ.
Old 10-16-18, 04:29 PM
muelled

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have been using a Serfss for servers years with good results. About $30at Amazon. Fits both Prest Schrader valves with one hole and gets tired up to 125 psi on my bike. Highly recommed
Old 10-16-18, 05:40 PM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ericzamora
I've had two Silca track pumps in my life, the first, bought in the early 80s, was stolen. The second which i still have, was bought early 90s. yes, they have user-replaceable parts. i thought this pump was all i needed, but as i grew older, the floor gauge became harder to see. and it tipped over too easily. and the hose would end up on the floor even though there are (bad-designed) hose holders in the handle. the newer models have a clip on the barrel, but silca says you cannot buy that part separately.
The old ones are pretty easy to modify if you're anything resembling mechanically inclined. The one that I picked up at a thrift store had a messed up base and some rust but it's not like epoxy, sheet metal and spray paint weren't available at the hardware store.
Old 10-18-18, 08:09 AM
bruce19

Bikes: CAAD 12, MASI Gran Criterium S, Colnago World Cup CX & Guru steel

Quoted: 1743 Post(s)
Liked 1,281 Times in 740 Posts
I bought a Bontrager floor pump about 4 years ago. Still working as advertised. I don't recall the price but I'm sure it was around $50.
Old 10-18-18, 06:46 PM
TiHabanero

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 1745 Post(s)
Liked 1,372 Times in 720 Posts
I had an SKS AirKompressor from 2012 and gave it to my son because it was not needed. At that time it cost over $100usd. Built like a tank and weighs the same! Very good pump that has given zero problems. Will it go the distance like the Silca? Only time will tell and I won't live that long.
Old 10-19-18, 11:06 AM
ZepoL
🤙

Bikes: Cannondale SuperSix EVO, Giant Stance, Salsa Journeyman, Haro Shredder

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Just throwing in my two cents. I was happy with my Bontrager Charger pump for about five years. But then I decided to give it away and as far as I know my buddy is still putting it to work.
Thinking of getting another to have handy in the car since I have the huge Topeak Joe Blow Booster at home.