Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Recommendation on winter cycling pants—not tights

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Search this Thread

Old 11-21-18, 09:46 AM
El Gato27

Bikes: '88 Peugot 12 spd road bike, Nishiki hybrid, JC Penney 10 spd

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 61 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I’m looking to get some cycling pants. I tried leg/knee warmers and tights many years ago and hated the constrictive/compressed feeling. I have sweatpants but they are too baggy. I was wondering if anyone has come across some cycling pants that they like.

I normally ride in compression shorts w/o padding and a pair of nylon Columbia hiking shorts over those. Great in the summer, a little nippy below ~50F.

Thank you.
Old 11-21-18, 11:05 AM
woodcraft

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 1814 Post(s)
Liked 923 Times in 569 Posts
I wear tights,

but for short rides & around town, nylon hiking pant are OK,

& often have elastic adjusters at the hem.
Old 11-21-18, 11:11 AM
Wattsup

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by El Gato27
I’m looking to get some cycling pants. I tried leg/knee warmers and tights many years ago and hated the constrictive/compressed feeling. I have sweatpants but they are too baggy. I was wondering if anyone has come across some cycling pants that they like.

I normally ride in compression shorts w/o padding and a pair of nylon Columbia hiking shorts over those. Great in the summer, a little nippy below ~50F.

Thank you.
I bought these recently. So far they've kept me warm down to about 35F. Tomorrow it's going into the 20's, so I'll let you know how well they do. They fit well too... a few female cyclists have complimented me on how well they show off the assets.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Old 11-21-18, 12:36 PM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Novara Headwind Pants. snug but not tights. but they don't make them anymore. when I misplaced my original pair I had to buy a used pair on ebay.

when it's really cold I'll add loose rain pants over them or thin fleece tights under them

if I were looking now I would give these a try

Mens NOVARA Sz XL Tempest Fleece Backed Thermal Reflective Cycling Tights Pants

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mens-NOVARA...7yvG:rk:3:pf:0

Last edited by rumrunn6; 11-21-18 at 12:46 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 12:37 PM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
Jra ..

I wear black track suit warm up trousers .. a jersey knit, so it stretches
(with out lycra)
Fleeced inside for warmth (and absorbing dribbles) & quick drying..
black to hide any chain goo contact , and because black is traditional ..
(my bike shorts were always black)
Polyester because it wears a long time .. many years worn daily..

I'm older too..

colder ? add long johns ..

Last edited by fietsbob; 11-21-18 at 12:54 PM.
Old 11-21-18, 02:46 PM
jlaw

Bikes: 2015 Spec. AWOL Elite,2022 Spec. Diverge, 1984 Trek 620 1985 Trek 620, 1979 Trek 710

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 394 Post(s)
Liked 194 Times in 110 Posts
In cold weather I wear a pair of cordura downhill MTB pants made by Core Rat (which no longer exists) with bike shorts underneath - and base layer if it is 32* or lower. You can find downhill MTB pants many places - but too frequently they are festooned with brand logos and goofy graphics.

Motorcycle pants are an option - something like these - pretty subtle.

$74 on Amazon

I don't worry about seams causing discomfort - never had a problem.

https://www.amazon.com/Motorcycle-Co.../dp/B01CSG3CJE

Or, just get a pair of 'relaxed' Carhart pants.

Old 11-21-18, 02:47 PM
exmechanic89

Bikes: '00 Koga Miyata Full Pro Oval Road bike.

Mentioned: 17 Post(s)
Quoted: 475 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I use insulated tights when it gets into the 40's and below. Long johns as suggested above work well too, IME.
Old 11-22-18, 06:34 AM
Leinster

Bikes: MBK Super Mirage 1991, CAAD10, Yuba Mundo Lux, and a Cannondale Criterium Single Speed

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 344 Post(s)
Liked 297 Times in 207 Posts
I bought my Adidas Tiro pants specifically for cycling to and from rugby practices/games. As it turns out, it’s rarely cold enough here to get much wear out of them; they’re comfortable, breathable, warm, snug enough to never catch in a chain (but loose enough that I could wear long John’s under them if I needed the extra).
Old 11-22-18, 06:39 AM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 364 Posts
Check out cross country ski wear.
Old 11-22-18, 06:54 AM
veloz

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 64 Times in 48 Posts
I've had REI Novara wind pants for 8+ years - they're great but nearly worn mine out. Have two pair of Craft XC ski pants that are similar with wind resistant front and they're great too.
Old 11-22-18, 08:43 AM
GZano

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
[QUOTE=Wattsup;20672532]I bought these recently. So far they've kept me warm down to about 35F. Tomorrow it's going into the 20's, so I'll let you know how well they do. They fit well too... a few female cyclists have complimented me on how well they show off the assets.

​​​​​​

I also just bought these pants. Tried them out today. 20F this morning and was just fine. I really like them. Wore them with just some padded underwear underneath. Plenty warm for me.
Sorry, I had to delete the link from Wattsup's quote. Not enough posts.
Old 11-22-18, 10:03 AM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
Yeah, it can be tough to find good winter cycling pants. Most people go with tights so there just aren't many options. I prefer pants for winter fatbiking as they fit over boot better and are more wind and snow resistant than most tights. You're in Texas so your needs might differ from mine here in Chicago.

The cheap cycling pants on Amazon are not great: I bought a pair and it was weirdly cut and had flimsy construction. Also, non-cycling specific hiking pants often have seams in bad places and are too loose. XC skiing pants can be a good options, but they're just as expensive as cycling specific pants, so you might as well get cycling-specific pants. A few companies like 45Nrth make dedicated winter fatbiking pants that I'm sure are great but they're outrageously expensive.

Overall, I recommend soft shell commuter pants. They work very well and are readily available. REI has lots of options. These look like the new version of the Novaras everyone is talking about above:
https://www.rei.com/product/136583/c...ing-pants-mens
On sale for $40 and REI doesn't sell garbage, you can't really go wrong.

Another, more expensive but more street-acceptable option I own:
https://www.chromeindustries.com/pro...nt/AP-387.html
These are really nice and super comfortable on even long rides. You could also wear them in a bar and no one would think twice.

Moosejaw also has a ton of options:
https://www.moosejaw.com/search/cycl...s#addedFilters
Old 11-22-18, 10:32 AM
RGMN

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 232 Times in 153 Posts
Originally Posted by Retro Grouch
Check out cross country ski wear.

Just keep an eye on where they put the seams. I have some Salomon XC Ski pants that are my favorites for skiing but there is a seam on them that make them mighty uncomfortable on the bike. If I need warm pants on the bike (typically under 30F) I use my Craft winter training pants that also double as another one of my XC Ski pants. For mild temps (between 30-50F) I usually just use leg warmers.
Old 11-22-18, 10:42 AM
Lava
Reno/Seattle/NYC

Bikes: Cannondale Topstone 105

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
A while back I did a lot of research on this and a lot of people recommended Sporthill XC Pants. Not cycling specific, but they've worked really well down to the 20s F here in NYC.
Old 11-22-18, 10:46 AM
GWGorham

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use Endura Luminite pants and so far they rock. I wear tights underneath them and no temp problems at all down into single digits
Old 11-22-18, 12:05 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 1955 Post(s)
Liked 3,661 Times in 1,679 Posts
https://www.sullivanuniforms.com/mm5...pants-for-work

Theses are nice and loose. If its really cold i wear flannel lined losse fit jeans.
Old 11-22-18, 12:47 PM
skidder
Pennylane Splitter

Bikes: Yes

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1800 Post(s)
Liked 1,439 Times in 989 Posts
Some of the Adidas running pants might work for you. Some are 'slim-cut' and stretchy. I got a pair on sale at Dick's in spring 2017 and have worn then a few times last winter in low-30-ish weather. A little too warm for long rides, but worked great for commutes (4 miles one way).
Old 11-22-18, 03:29 PM
subsage

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Wattsup
I bought these recently. So far they've kept me warm down to about 35F. Tomorrow it's going into the 20's, so I'll let you know how well they do. They fit well too... a few female cyclists have complimented me on how well they show off the assets.

i have these as well, the updated version. Comfortable riding in mid 20's without a base layer
Old 11-22-18, 04:23 PM
downtube42

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6 Gen 3, Soma Fog Cutter, Focus Mares AL, Detroit Bikes Sparrow FG, Volae Team, Nimbus MUni

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 896 Post(s)
Liked 2,063 Times in 1,081 Posts
For commuting, I bought several pairs of wool dress slacks from a thrift store and converted them into knickers. One pair is heavy wool; I use those for the coldest days. Not for distance, but perfect for commuting through winter in the PNW.
Old 11-22-18, 06:53 PM
Wattsup

Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 35 Posts
Originally Posted by subsage

i have these as well, the updated version. Comfortable riding in mid 20's without a base layer
Yep, did a mid 20's very windy ride today, and the pants were great without a base layer. Very comfortable...great value too.
Old 11-22-18, 08:49 PM
KraneXL

Bikes: Cannondale Quick SL1 Bike - 2014

Mentioned: 32 Post(s)
Quoted: 3405 Post(s)
Liked 240 Times in 185 Posts
I see people using term tights here differently. Sometimes they refer to the base layer, other times they're the outerwear. In my instance, they are the latter and the sole pair I have fit great.

They're not only a comfortable fit in the hip and waist, but are also long enough for my tall frame. Funny thing is, I just picked them randomly just because they were on sale and I figured I might need them one day.

Many items can keep you warm, but cycling specific clothing takes into account comfort, positions and movement over time which normal winter clothing does not.

Cycling wear is aerodynamic, breathable, and doesn't pull, bind or bunch. That may not seem importance at first, but unless you're just cycling around the block, that will make all the difference in the world on an extended ride.

Last edited by KraneXL; 11-23-18 at 07:12 AM.
Old 11-22-18, 09:45 PM
Shimagnolo

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 5,514 Times in 2,857 Posts
I have a very long inseam, meaning that it is rare I can buy any kind of pants off-the-rack. After seeing some recommendations for Foxwear, I contacted them, gave my measurements, told Lou I wanted the warmest possible pants for cold-weather riding. I don't recall the name of the fabric, (a soft-shell), but I recall at the time it was only available in gray. The pants are perfect:
- Fit is excellent; Not as snug as tights, but snug enough they never snag on anything.
- Warm enough to wear down to freezing temps w/o any other insulation layers needed.
- I've had them for some years now, and use them whenever the temp is <50F, and they don't even show wear, (other than a little sun-fading).

Foxwear | Custom Sized Sports Clothing by Lou Binik | Salmon, ID | (877) 756-3699
Old 11-23-18, 06:40 AM
jfan

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Wattsup

I can vouch for these also for cold weather riding. With a thin base layer, they're good into the mid teens on my 10mi commute. . I haven't received the asset compliments though.
Old 11-23-18, 08:54 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by KraneXL
I see people using term tights here differently. Sometimes they refer to the base layer, other times they're the outerwear. In my instance, they are the latter and the sole pair I have fit great.

They're not only a comfortable fit in the hip and waist, but are also long enough for my tall frame. Funny thing is, I just picked them randomly just because they were on sale and I figured I might need them one day.

Many items can keep you warm, but cycling specific clothing takes into account comfort, positions and movement over time which normal winter clothing does not.

Cycling wear is aerodynamic, breathable, and doesn't pull, bind or bunch. That may not seem importance at first, but unless you're just cycling around the block, that will make all the difference in the world on an extended ride.
wow nice price I would try them but looks like biggest size left is large
Old 11-24-18, 08:56 PM
ggoytia1

Quoted: 27 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Excellent suggestion. Did not even think about my work pants.
thank you & cheers!!!🍺

Originally Posted by 52telecaster
https://www.sullivanuniforms.com/mm5...pants-for-work

Theses are nice and loose. If its really cold i wear flannel lined losse fit jeans.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.