Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Lance back in the News

Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Lance back in the News

Old 12-17-18, 03:50 PM
52telecaster
ambulatory senior

Bikes: Austro Daimler modified by Gugie! Raleigh Professional and lots of other bikes.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1954 Post(s)
Liked 3,657 Times in 1,677 Posts
Originally Posted by McBTC
My guess is, supposed friends who turn on you like a cancer to make a deal with a guv'ment out to selectively destroy only you probably would tend to ruin some relationships. From what's been discussed above I think it's fair to say all pro cyclists cheated to the extent they all broke the written rule about doping but none of them broke the unwritten rules and none of them cheated one-another... LA made a lot of people a lot of money and they were all his good buddies you can bet... until, of course, the prosecutors stepped in flashing badges with guns on their hips saying-- sing or compose if you want to get out of trouble-- we don't want you, we just want to nail Lance Armstrong.
your logic is sick. with this outlook youre going to have a lousy life.
Old 12-17-18, 04:53 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 92 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 4 Posts
they all broke the written rule about doping but none of them broke the unwritten rules and none of them cheated one-another
Unwritten rules aren't rules. Do your arguments even make sense to you?
Old 12-17-18, 05:02 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Unwritten rules aren't rules. Do your arguments even make sense to you?
The "hide" option on internet forums was created, as far as I'm concerned, so that I can flag those who cannot engage in rational, adult discussion. It's a remarkably effective tool; I urge you to use it for those you obviously find (and correctly, IMO) fit that description.

Old 12-17-18, 05:25 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

Originally Posted by 124Spider
The "hide" option on internet forums was created, as far as I'm concerned, so that I can flag those who cannot engage in rational, adult discussion. It's a remarkably effective tool; I urge you to use it for those you obviously find (and correctly, IMO) fit that description.

Good idea! Problem is, as a rhetorician of sorts, I find his absurd posts to be almost as entertaining as they are aggravating -- it's like a slow-motion trainwreck of logical fallacies and twisted rationalizations. Besides, I've got some autographed Lance memorabilia I want to unload, and I'm thinking McDLT might be a potential customer.
Old 12-17-18, 05:28 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by EdwinHeadwind
Good idea! Problem is, as a rhetorician of sorts, I find his absurd posts to be almost as entertaining as they are aggravating -- it's like a slow-motion trainwreck of logical fallacies and twisted rationalizations. Besides, I've got some autographed Lance memorabilia I want to unload, and I'm thinking McDLT might be a potential customer.
Understood. I used to play that game, also. But then I finally realized that these people are serious, and an impressive combination of clueless about facts, and logically deficient. So I gave it up as a bad bet.
Old 12-17-18, 06:28 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3374 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Originally Posted by Maelochs
This too: At what point does cheating become “too much”? ...
And others...
I do not advocate cheating, but the reality is I see in every top level of the sport and it is the referee's job to decide what is too much. When it is minor cheating it is called gamesmanship. It has to be grey because authorities make stupid rules. They send kids home for having plastic knives (our elementary school). But when is a wood spoon a knife?

USA Cycling gets into this. I'm sure you read your membership agreement ... anyone under 21 cannot use tobacco - (even legally). You all read that right before you signed?
The way you get back on the peloton after a mechanical is drafting. Right in front of a ref - that is how it is done. The rules are against it, but whatever. Stickey bottle - that is how you get your bottles. Do it tooo much and the referee penalizes you. Lance just did it too much and was not caught. If he had been caught, I think his penalty would have been less.

As to Barry Bonds having the home run record - think games are about winning, not record stats. If I wanted stats, I'd want to know who lifted the most, hit the farthest, ran the fastest. My thinking is there is a high probability they used PEDs to do that. Until we can fix it everywhere, it is not worth going after - so yea, if Barry Bonds hit the most he hit the most, because I believe he just also got caught.

"Doping" can be minimal to major. If it is major, bust it, if minor, let it go, just like everything else. Or be like the elementary school and suspend the kid for 3 days who takes a plastic knife to school.

I have hundreds of videos, mostly by me I have taken on this stuff. It is generally a judgment call. USAC is a bit different in they have the athlete sign agreements all the time. Not done with the soccer games I officiated (1,000+), players play and I decided when it was too much.

For amateurs, I see less rule breaking when there are fewer officials and rules - another discussion point.
Old 12-17-18, 06:35 PM
Doge

Right in front of all the referees - they teach that is not allowed.
But that is how it is done. Much more significant than doping.

Start at 1:06

Old 12-17-18, 10:15 PM
McBTC

Bikes: 2015 22 Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1543 Post(s)
Liked 51 Times in 39 Posts
The sanctimonious high and mighty aren't just holier than Lance... they're the conscience of humanity-- so above greed.. so full of integrity. As Nietzsche would observe, "Ah! how ineptly cometh the word "virtue" out of their mouth! And when they say: "I am just," it always soundeth like: "I am just -- revenged!"
Old 12-17-18, 10:34 PM
124Spider

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
The sanctimonious high and mighty aren't just holier than Lance... they're the conscience of humanity-- so above greed.. so full of integrity. As Nietzsche would observe, "Ah! how ineptly cometh the word "virtue" out of their mouth! And when they say: "I am just," it always soundeth like: "I am just -- revenged!"
It's too bad that "ignore" on this board isn't like "block" on Facebook. It's very nice to be reminded that I have already determined that engaging with a particular person isn't worth the trouble, but it would be so much nicer if he/she were invisible to me (and vice versa)!
Old 12-17-18, 11:44 PM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
I was born with an "ignore' function ... i call it ... ignoring. Right now I am only reading posts be posters who are closer to rational ... but if someone else cites something said by the highly prejudiced, highly irrational few, i can go back and reference it.
Old 12-18-18, 07:11 AM
base2 
I am potato.

Bikes: Only precision built, custom high performance elitist machines of the highest caliber. 🍆

Mentioned: 28 Post(s)
Quoted: 1782 Post(s)
Liked 1,621 Times in 927 Posts
Originally Posted by indyfabz
In that case, we all know NFS is the best.
Wrong. Chain-L is best. Everyone knows $18 for 10 oz of bar oil works better than $7/quart bar oil.
Old 12-18-18, 08:54 AM
Doge

I was born with an "ignore' function ... i call it ... ignoring. Right now I am only reading posts be posters who are closer to rational ... but if someone else cites something said by the highly prejudiced, highly irrational few, i can go back and reference it.
I don't know if that was mine, but here is the general thought behind my arguments.

There are sports and games where the rules are totally controllable. There are ones where many things are left to nobility and honor.
For the latter - making rules about what cannot be controlled is useless. It actually makes those with nobility and honor at a disadvantage, and the smart ones, with other options - don't participate. If instead in the latter cases you set basic agreed to ground rules (like the course, the finish) and leave the rest to nobility and honor - you get more of exactly that. You see less cheating. This is the same logic as only outlaws will have guns...I don't have a gun, but I have that logic.

There is such an event locally. It is a memorial race, with a big cup going back to 1976. There are a few rules. Everyone starts together at the memorial / prayer spot. You stop at stop lights. In this (non-USAC/UCI) even all kinds of USAC and UCI rules are broken. But I have not seen the winners protest. Some of the old guys decide who really won with help of the many spectators and cars and video guys. This event has many very elite racers but it is not a pro event. Your teammates are not depending on you.

For pros, they are in the entertainment business. Their $ value is based on money generated from commerce due to watching them.
If "they" spend those thousands of dollar / rider to control it, the viewership and their value may suffer. I believe that is why the public knows very little about pro teams in the big entertainment sports. We don't want to know "how the sausage is made". I didn't think cycling was much different.
Old 12-18-18, 09:26 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 211 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 18397 Post(s)
Liked 15,491 Times in 7,316 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
Wrong. Chain-L is best. Everyone knows $18 for 10 oz of bar oil works better than $7/quart bar oil.
Is that you, Lance? Because only a doper would believe that.
Old 12-18-18, 09:28 AM
manapua_man

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 223 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Man you just sound assblasted because most people don't like cheaters. And it comes across as projection on top of it.

I *personally* don't like the dude and some of his buddies because they came across as self entitled ******** each time I ran into em.

Otherwise I don't care a whole lot about pro cycling.

Last edited by manapua_man; 12-18-18 at 09:40 AM.
Old 12-18-18, 10:33 AM
McBTC

Originally Posted by manapua_man
Man you just sound assblasted because most people don't like cheaters. And it comes across as projection on top of it.

I *personally* don't like the dude and some of his buddies because they came across as self entitled ******** each time I ran into em.

Otherwise I don't care a whole lot about pro cycling.
Naw… just playin' with the haters. People do change, as much as some want to hold others is a certain light and never change themselves. Simple fact is, the haters weren't screwed out of being pro tour champions because LA cheated. And LA wouldn't do again. All the cyclists were in the same boat. Maybe some used drugs more or less but if LA cannot be believed about anything, nor can anyone else. What LA did he did for glory and because, he wanted to be the best cyclist in the world and then in history and he achieved that goal but then... you could say, he was cheated out of the recognition so all his work was for nothing. Sure, sure, he may have walked away with a few bucks but, applying as much effort as he dedicated to reaching the pinnacle of the sport, anyone else he competed with would have taken the yellow jersey and walked away with the prize money and they'd have cheated too.
Old 12-18-18, 11:22 AM
Maelochs

Bikes: 2015 Workswell 066, 2017 Workswell 093, 2014 Dawes Sheila, 1983 Cannondale 500, 1984 Raleigh Olympian, 2007 Cannondale Rize 4, 2017 Fuji Sportif 1 LE

Mentioned: 144 Post(s)
Quoted: 7648 Post(s)
Liked 3,465 Times in 1,831 Posts
Originally Posted by Doge
I don't know if that was mine, but here is the general thought behind my arguments. etc.
No, sir, as i stated above, I have been reading your posts for years and have a lot of respect for you.

I understand your points here, and they are rational, and well supported. I heartily dislike some of your attitudes, but they are based in real-world observation and analysis. they are sensible and comprehendable. it is sort of like a debate between a religious/ spiritual believer and an atheist/agnostic---it doesn't have to turn nasty, and both sides can make clear points without adding up points for a win---no one is trying to convince the other they are wrong.

I really appreciate your views. I am not so small (well, sometimes ... ) that i need people to agree with me. I am perfectly happy with rational, intelligent people presenting rational intelligent points that differ from my views. I am not afraid that I might learn something, or even change my mind ... it Could happen.

If the trolls and loons were as rational as yourself, the site would be a lot more educational and a lot less annoying ... but a lot less comical. But then ... is it PC to laugh at the antics of the mentally or morally underprivileged? I am such an atavist.

Hope your kid enjoyed his racing career and glad he didn't hurt himself with steroids.

He is old enough now to hurt himself with more entertaining drugs, anyway.
Old 12-18-18, 12:38 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

The sanctimonious high and mighty aren't just holier than Lance... they're the conscience of humanity-- so above greed.. so full of integrity.
Then by the same reasoning, his defenders are as bereft of integrity as he is. Own it.
Old 12-18-18, 12:50 PM
Paul Barnard
For The Fun of It

Bikes: Lynskey GR300, Lynskey Backroad, Litespeed T6, Lynskey MT29, Burley Duet

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 2134 Post(s)
Liked 1,643 Times in 825 Posts
If nothing else, this thread makes it apparent that Lance still has star power.
Old 12-18-18, 12:54 PM
shoota 

Mentioned: 33 Post(s)
Quoted: 1872 Post(s)
Liked 692 Times in 468 Posts
Originally Posted by base2
I still think Lance is a god.

He played the game the same as everybody else. He just played it a lot further dirtier than anyone else. He played by the same (unofficial) rules as the next champion Uh, no. It was afterall another team (Spain? I don't remember) that spilled the beans during some trash talk on an attack when he was racing clean.

People are haters because they can't face the music. It's their disappointment, their disillusionment talking. He was just more determined to keep pushing where others chickened out or backed off in the drug test arena. It really is as simple as that.
Disappointment and disillusionment of what??

My understanding is, when you reach the highest, elitist, most fit physical condition you can be, EPO doesn't actually offer any advantages. Physiologically the room for gain just isn't there anymore. Maybe for mere mortals or CAT3, CAT2 racers it could help, but world class? They are already as good as their body can be.
How about getting brand new blood every day? Think that might feel pretty good after a long climbing day and with another coming up the next day?
Wrong. Just, no.
Old 12-18-18, 01:14 PM
Nachoman
well hello there

Bikes: Bill Holland (Road-Ti), Fuji Roubaix Pro (back-up), Bike Friday (folder), Co-Motion (tandem) & Trek 750 (hybrid)

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 503 Post(s)
Liked 336 Times in 206 Posts
. . . . . What LA did he did for glory and because, he wanted to be the best cyclist in the world and then in history and he achieved that goal but then... you could say, he was cheated out of the recognition so all his work was for nothing. . . . .
Nice!

Two wheels good. Four wheels bad.
Old 12-18-18, 01:22 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Naw… just playin' with the haters. People do change, as much as some want to hold others is a certain light and never change themselves. Simple fact is, the haters weren't screwed out of being pro tour champions because LA cheated. And LA wouldn't do again. All the cyclists were in the same boat. Maybe some used drugs more or less but if LA cannot be believed about anything, nor can anyone else. What LA did he did for glory and because, he wanted to be the best cyclist in the world and then in history and he achieved that goal but then... you could say, he was cheated out of the recognition so all his work was for nothing. Sure, sure, he may have walked away with a few bucks but, applying as much effort as he dedicated to reaching the pinnacle of the sport, anyone else he competed with would have taken the yellow jersey and walked away with the prize money and they'd have cheated too.
Did you practice at this moronic drivel, or did it come naturally? I hope the former, if the latter then seek help. There are such things as logic, proof and conclusons based on a healthy amount of both. You seem to live in a fantasy world at the moment.
Old 12-18-18, 02:13 PM
Doge

Hope your kid enjoyed his racing career and glad he didn't hurt himself with steroids.

He is old enough now to hurt himself with more entertaining drugs, anyway.
You know this but...
It was not a career, it was something hard to do for child development. No PEDs were taken*.
I doubt he does the more entertaining drugs. He did smoke a cigar with 4,000 other cadets at Christmas dinner. That is grounds for being banned from USAC racing - really. Except he, like everyone else didn't read the fine print that I did.

But to drugs / PEDs and age.
There are stimulants, recovery, and building (Steroid), hormones. Some are banned, some are not, most you don't know as there are hundreds*. Not knowing is a valid excuse.
Stimulants generally work at any age, as do most recovery drugs. But I think 23-30, and in rec seems 40+, high in 50+.
Steroids work, but in developing teens, will reduce the body's natural production. That is bad.
It is hard to find artificial hormones better than what a 15-18 year old male is producing. It will help females much more. But cycling is an endurance sport, so mass matters. For body building it would help, at the expense of less of that hormone later.
I can comment on the others, but the youth races are too short, and no need for recovery. So also not used. That is also why I doubt it is done much in USA teens.
Old 12-18-18, 02:18 PM
avole
Banned.

Bikes: Brompton, Time, Bianchi, Jan Janssen, Peugeot

Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
I see. I'm assuming, therefore, that you think teens from other countries wolf the stuff down.
Old 12-18-18, 03:31 PM
McBTC

Originally Posted by Paul Barnard
If nothing else, this thread makes it apparent that Lance still has star power.
​​​​​​Lance also seems to be a lightening rod for embittered and pitiable souls who can only dream of holding up his bloody severed head as an example to all who would dare fate...
Old 12-18-18, 03:59 PM
EdwinHeadwind
Banned.

People who feel the need to bring others down to their miserable level of mediocrity, mostly... and join in throwing rocks at he or she who must be die for their sins.
. Anyone who singles out LA because he, more than anyone else, deserves to be crucified like there is a special place in hell reserved just for him, probably are not the sort of folks I'd think were any better than the targets of their petty hatreds of the moment.
The sanctimonious high and mighty aren't just holier than Lance... they're the conscience of humanity-- so above greed.. so full of integrity.
​​​​​​Lance also seems to be a lightening rod for embittered and pitiable souls who can only dream of holding up his bloody severed head as an example to all who would dare fate...
I love when this fount of blathering nonsense and histrionics calls other people sanctimonius. LOL

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.