Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Fantastic Mess

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Fantastic Mess

Old 08-12-19, 05:18 AM
Roadlizzard

Bikes: TREK 8000,Trek Domane 4.5,Felt FR

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Fantastic Mess

Sunday I started cleaning my bike after a 50 miles ride on Saturday, at first I didn't realize what was on my bike then it dawned on me my bike was cover in sealant and that I had a puncture on my Saturday ride.I don't know how much air pressure I lost but it wasn't enough to notice. It was easy getting the sealant of the bike but it was all over everything I use Orange Seal. I have Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST on my Flet and Ksyrium UST on my Trek both with Yksion Pro UST tires. After cleaning the bike I checked the level of the sealant and had to add 1 1/2 ounces. Aired the tire up and will ride tomorrow. By the way I have 4500 miles on the tire that was punctured. I will always run Mavic UST's a little trouble checking the sealant, I check the level every month but I clean and check my bikes all the time so it not any problem.
Old 08-12-19, 06:01 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Sealant is brutal. It works, but I spilled some on a concrete garage floor, and some of it is still there after months.
Old 08-12-19, 06:04 AM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by dmanthree
Sealant is brutal. It works, but I spilled some on a concrete garage floor, and some of it is still there after months.
Same. I think I may be giving up on TL. I just don't have that many flats, anymore.

Old 08-12-19, 06:25 AM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I started into tubeless with the same problem then I switched to Orange Seal it's a latex and easy to remove. You just rub it and it rolls up and falls off.
Old 08-12-19, 06:45 AM
dmanthree

Bikes: Garmin/Tacx Bike Smart

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 646 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 191 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Same. I think I may be giving up on TL. I just don't have that many flats, anymore.
A little off this thread, but my experience with TL sent me back to tubes. Mounted a pair of Schwalbe Pro One tires, blew one off the rim on a pothole on the third ride. had to install a tube to get home. Tried to remove the tube, but no, it's not permanently "welded" to the tire, so it's a loss.

For me, tubes are just too damned easy.
Old 08-12-19, 07:03 AM
DrIsotope
Non omnino gravis

Bikes: Nekobasu, Pandicorn, Lakitu

Mentioned: 119 Post(s)
Quoted: 4905 Post(s)
Liked 1,731 Times in 958 Posts
After yesterday's ride, I pulled 9 goathead thorns out of my front tire-- though in fairness, sealant only bubbled out of four of them. With tubes, that would have been four flat tires, beyond the amount of stuff I carry on the bike.

So without tubeless, that ride would have required a call home, instead of just picking thorns out for a few minutes when I got home. For me, where I ride, tubeless is not a choice, it's a necessity.
Old 08-12-19, 07:49 AM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Main reason I use Mavic UST
Old 08-12-19, 08:14 AM
noodle soup

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 4717 Post(s)
Liked 1,882 Times in 998 Posts
Originally Posted by DrIsotope
After yesterday's ride, I pulled 9 goathead thorns out of my front tire-- though in fairness, sealant only bubbled out of four of them. With tubes, that would have been four flat tires, beyond the amount of stuff I carry on the bike.

So without tubeless, that ride would have required a call home, instead of just picking thorns out for a few minutes when I got home. For me, where I ride, tubeless is not a choice, it's a necessity.
Most of the year in Phoenix, thorn puncture aren't a huge problem(maybe 1 puncture every 1500-2000 miles), but during monsoon season you'll get one on almost every ride.

Since going road tubeless in February(over 5k miles), I haven't had one puncture that I know of.
Old 08-12-19, 08:17 AM
Abe_Froman

Bikes: Marin Four Corners, 1960's Schwinn Racer in middle of restoration, mid 70s Motobecane Grand Touring, various other heaps.

Mentioned: 76 Post(s)
Quoted: 9347 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 51 Posts
I have to say...I had been a bit skeptical of tubeless until I set my first set up a month ago.

I put a set of Vittoria Terreno Dry 40mm tires on my stock, NON tubeless rims. Set up with one pump of my floor pump, and have not had even a single burp, even when running 19psi (too low, was testing..) into hard corners during CX practice, and completely folding the tire over multiple times.

I credit skinnystrippers, which @chas58 turned me on to. At 19psi, the tire is soft enough I can manually unseat the tire bead with my thumbs(quite easily I might add...), and I still lose no pressure. For $10 and 10 grams, I'd say they're a no brainer for anybody running tubeless in any scenario.
Old 08-12-19, 08:40 AM
jadocs

Bikes: Ti, Mn Cr Ni Mo Nb, Al, C

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 942 Post(s)
Liked 526 Times in 349 Posts
Originally Posted by Roadlizzard
Sunday I started cleaning my bike after a 50 miles ride on Saturday, at first I didn't realize what was on my bike then it dawned on me my bike was cover in sealant and that I had a puncture on my Saturday ride.I don't know how much air pressure I lost but it wasn't enough to notice. It was easy getting the sealant of the bike but it was all over everything I use Orange Seal. I have Mavic Ksyrium Pro UST on my Flet and Ksyrium UST on my Trek both with Yksion Pro UST tires. After cleaning the bike I checked the level of the sealant and had to add 1 1/2 ounces. Aired the tire up and will ride tomorrow. By the way I have 4500 miles on the tire that was punctured. I will always run Mavic UST's a little trouble checking the sealant, I check the level every month but I clean and check my bikes all the time so it not any problem.
I'm running the same wheel/tire combo on my bike. I have the same mileage on them as well. Have you had any issue with the rear wheel going out of true slightly? My spokes started to ping a little and sure enough two spokes were a little loose.
Old 08-13-19, 02:14 PM
Roadlizzard

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Today after a half way stop I looked down and saw a wet spot on my front tire about 1/2 inch in dia. I got off the bike and rubbed the wet spot and felt something sharp in the tire I got a pair of pliers from my seat bag and pulled a piece of glass from the tire. with the whole group watching I spun the tire returned the pliers to the seat bag and said lets go. Everyone in my group had never seen a tubeless set up much less seen sealant work. They were all very impressed. That's two punctures in the last two rides and the tubeless systems worked great. Way to go MAVIC
Old 08-13-19, 03:00 PM
nycphotography
NYC

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 1169 Post(s)
Liked 107 Times in 62 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
I find that with fresh tires it is fantastic in nyc. No flats, occasional puncture seals, once in while refill sealer.

When the tires are worn, the sealer doesn't have anything to stick to, and sometimes won't seal.

It's pricey, but if not getting flats while commuting on a race bike costs me the price of a new rear tire ever 3k miles, then so be it.
Old 08-13-19, 03:47 PM
Trsnrtr
Super Modest

Bikes: Trek Emonda, Giant Propel, Colnago V3, Co-Motion Supremo, ICE VTX WC

Mentioned: 107 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10885 Post(s)
Liked 4,558 Times in 2,088 Posts
Originally Posted by nycphotography
I find that with fresh tires it is fantastic in nyc. No flats, occasional puncture seals, once in while refill sealer.

When the tires are worn, the sealer doesn't have anything to stick to, and sometimes won't seal.

It's pricey, but if not getting flats while commuting on a race bike costs me the price of a new rear tire ever 3k miles, then so be it.
Yep, that's why I tend to run them in the Winter when we have a lot of cinders and sand on the road from the salt/sand mixture put down.