Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Tandem Cycling
Reload this Page >

Intercom options

Search
Notices
Tandem Cycling A bicycle built for two. Want to find out more about this wonderful world of tandems? Check out this forum to talk with other tandem enthusiasts. Captains and stokers welcome!

Intercom options

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-15, 10:34 PM
khar1958

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Intercom options

We recently attended the NW Tandem Rally and spoke along the way to other teams very happy with their headsets. Now kicking myself for not recording what makes they had. Advice on which options -- tandem-com vs. cardo or maybe new options out there given how quickly things change in the electronics business?
Old 08-11-15, 03:56 PM
geronimo2000

Bikes: Rodriguez, Ibis

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
we used to use tandem talk wireless but got fed up with the limited battery life and went back to their wired option (which does what it is supposed to do.)
Old 08-11-15, 04:26 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I have a cardo BK-1 DUO ser that we no longer use and am willing to sell since it sits on the shelf. Since we got our daVinci In-2-Ition we find that we no longer need constant communication. She can stop pedaling, rest, whatever with very little impact on my pedaling. When we had our Co-Motion Java it was an essential tool for comfortable riding!
Old 08-11-15, 05:05 PM
geoffs

Bikes: Co-Motion Mocha Co-pilot, Habanero custom commuter, Seven Axiom SL, Seven Axiom SLX, Blom Track

Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
I am also interested in this as) we tend to ride a lot in traffic due to living in Sydney and my hearing aids don't like wind noise. My better half has asked me to find out what options there are so she doesn't have to yell quite so loudly at me :-)
Old 08-11-15, 09:05 PM
DKMcK 
I'd rather be riding

Bikes: Santana Team Ti 700 S&S, Trek Madone 6, Omega Ti,Klein Palamino, Trek 510

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by geoffs
I am also interested in this as) we tend to ride a lot in traffic due to living in Sydney and my hearing aids don't like wind noise. My better half has asked me to find out what options there are so she doesn't have to yell quite so loudly at me :-)
I was able to add a program on my hearing aids that zooms to the rear. It reduces wind noise and I can hear my stoker better.
Old 08-12-15, 01:29 PM
khar1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Ludkeh
I have a cardo BK-1 DUO ser that we no longer use and am willing to sell since it sits on the shelf. Since we got our daVinci In-2-Ition we find that we no longer need constant communication. She can stop pedaling, rest, whatever with very little impact on my pedaling. When we had our Co-Motion Java it was an essential tool for comfortable riding!
Thanks, I would be interested in exploring further. But I'm new to the list-serve and not sure how to carry on a private conversation. I'm not keen to post my cell or personal email address on the web. Is there a way to connect one-to-one?
Old 09-06-15, 07:08 PM
esther-L

Bikes: tandem, road bike, hybrid

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
We use cardo BK-1 DUO set. It can be used on tandem or on our separate bikes. The battery life is a bit low, but we are happy with it. I bought it direct from manufacturer, which was a lower price in December than every website that carried it.

We have a wired tandem-talk that's available now.
Old 09-20-15, 04:19 PM
khar1958

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hi- are you still interested in selling the cardo bk?
Old 09-21-15, 02:43 PM
Ludkeh
alpine cross trainer

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix, Quintara Roo Sendoza, DaVici In-2-Ition Tandem,

Liked 20 Times in 8 Posts
I'm not sure if you were responding to me with your last post? But, yes, my Duo set is still for sale.
Old 11-26-18, 11:38 AM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Bikes: Specialized S-works E-5, Davinci joint venture , CoMotion Pangea

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Based on the op's comment, electronics change so fast, I'm asking to revive this old thread, wonder if anyone has tried or is using the new Sena X-1 ? (https://www.sena.com/product/x1/faq).
The batteries in our , now 6 y.o. Senas are not lasting as well and don't seem to be replaceable. My wife and I both wear hearing aids and the intercom feature isindispensable!
R&J
Old 11-28-18, 12:10 PM
Leisesturm

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 2494 Post(s)
Liked 738 Times in 522 Posts
Since we both possess excellent hearing I've never wanted to spend more than a token amount of money on a tandem intercom. As a result I've flirted with some seriously cheesy wired things and not much more. The recumbent tandem we recently bought puts our heads more than twice as far apart as on any of our upright tandems. I'm thinking an intercom will be useful going forward. I've researched most of what is available now. Nothing jumps out. But I'll tell you what looks interesting: Smartphones. We both have iPhone 5s's and audio Facetime conversations would not use cell minutes which are unlimited in any case. As a proof of concept I bought a pair of these: https://aftershokz.com/collections/w...anium-with-mic. I've used mine several times on my single with my GPS and indeed you can hear the audio from the phone with unimpeded access to ambient sounds. Wireless options are available. We have not been out on the tandem though to do a real proof of concept trial run. I see no downsides though.
Old 11-28-18, 06:33 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Leisesturm,
I do like the concept, and certainly prefer "open" ears, We both don't have smartphones, so that option requires another purchase. I copied this thread over to electronics and have some different thoughts you can peruse
.https://www.bikeforums.net/electroni...intercoms.html
Rod
Old 11-29-18, 01:17 PM
124Spider

Bikes: 2016 Cervelo R3 2018 Rodriguez Tandem

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 127 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
We bought a set of Terrano-X intercoms before we got our tandem, which allowed us to talk without having to ride side-by-side. The worked very well for that. When we got our tandem, we just used the same intercoms, and they're great.

Mark
Old 12-02-18, 08:27 PM
gracehowler
Rod & Judy

Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Mark,
Yes, Terrano is definitely on our list, just no decision yet, at this point, we are "riding" in the garage, so no rush.
Rod