Go Back  Bike Forums > The Racer's Forum > "The 33"-Road Bike Racing
Reload this Page >

Effects of Sprint Training

Search
Notices
"The 33"-Road Bike Racing We set this forum up for our members to discuss their experiences in either pro or amateur racing, whether they are the big races, or even the small backyard races. Don't forget to update all the members with your own race results.

Search this Thread

Old 11-24-15, 07:13 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts

I bought a trainer and so far i'm loving it. I like to ride with Zwift. I did some FTP tests etc.

To improve for my sprinting power i also bought Sufferfest - Violator video. (Cycling Sprint Training Video : "Violator" | The Sufferfest)

So my question is how would this sprint training effect my climbing performance in a negative way? I don't have any experience with training and I'm scaring to loose my endurance.
Old 11-24-15, 08:31 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I'm not super versed in physiology but generally speaking you're not going to lose "endurance" (meaning how long you can ride) by working on shorter efforts.

If you do only sprint type efforts then, yes, your sustainable power will probably suffer. Meaning if you're working on 30 second Zwift sprints (like for the various banners on the two courses) then you're not working on increasing your 20 or 60 minute sustainable power. Time trialing, or trying to better your orange jersey time, would suffer.

On the other hand I can go out and do a somewhat slow (to others) 3-4-5 hour ride pretty much at will; to me that's what "endurance" implies.

If you do shorter, more intense efforts, you generally figure out a way to make more power, if only for short periods of time. Utilized effectively that can translate to faster long rides.
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-24-15, 08:40 PM
Robius

Bikes: Felt AR2 Di2

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 13 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by carpediemracing
I'm not super versed in physiology but generally speaking you're not going to lose "endurance" (meaning how long you can ride) by working on shorter efforts.

If you do only sprint type efforts then, yes, your sustainable power will probably suffer. Meaning if you're working on 30 second Zwift sprints (like for the various banners on the two courses) then you're not working on increasing your 20 or 60 minute sustainable power. Time trialing, or trying to better your orange jersey time, would suffer.

On the other hand I can go out and do a somewhat slow (to others) 3-4-5 hour ride pretty much at will; to me that's what "endurance" implies.

If you do shorter, more intense efforts, you generally figure out a way to make more power, if only for short periods of time. Utilized effectively that can translate to faster long rides.
I guess endurance was a bad choice I was trying to say FTP as you pointed. So can't i improve my sprinting power while keeping the same FTP?
Old 11-24-15, 08:56 PM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
You sure can. Chuck a handful of sprints into longer rides, it doesn't add much fatigue at all and it helps with leg speed and fast twitch stuff immensely.
Old 11-24-15, 09:20 PM
carpediemracing 

Bikes: Tsunami road bikes, Dolan DF4 track

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 385 Post(s)
Liked 180 Times in 102 Posts
I think you can work on both, to a limited extent (limited by things like genetics, time, etc). If you do only sprint work then you'll realistically lose some FTP.

However, for me, my sprint doesn't change much no matter what I do. It might change a bit but in the scheme of things the guys killing me will kill me, the ones not killing me won't kill me. Relative to my peers my sprint doesn't seem to change much.

I generally do JRA/easy rides, do a sprint or two when I feel motivated (up to about 25-30 seconds long, maybe 3-6 in an hour or two).

I found a big difference in racing fitness when I did VO2 Max intervals. My FTP is about 210w, my 5-8 minute long intervals were done at 217w to 248w. Sometimes I struggled to do just 220w, other times I could do 245w handily. I basically didn't do specific sprint work at all, but I had some solid results that season (which was actually this year, 2015).
"...during the Lance years, being fit became the No. 1 thing. Totally the only thing. It’s a big part of what we do, but fitness is not the only thing. There’s skills, there’s tactics … there’s all kinds of stuff..." Tim Johnson
Old 11-30-15, 03:41 PM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Sprints won't hurt FTP or endurance. Just be sure to incorporate it into your weekly microcycle.

Typically early on in the week when you're fresh. Such as Tuesday where I warm up for 45-60 minutes then do 8-15 sprints of different types (low/high-gear starts, leadouts, etc.). Then I go home and warm down for 30-minutes on the way.

Hillclimbs and long-intervals for FTP are done on Thurs/Friday. Endurance ride of 3-5 hours on Sunday. You'll find the increased strength from sprints (recruits unused muscle fibers) yields more efficient muscles and you can do those log rides faster, with less fatigue and faster recovery.
Old 12-02-15, 12:40 AM
Racer Ex 
Resident Alien

Mentioned: 158 Post(s)
Quoted: 349 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
FTP is everything. Why take the risk?
Old 12-02-15, 03:08 AM
DannoXYZ 

Quoted: 109 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Except when you get close to the finish line and it's all about how much power you have above FTP. If you can only muster double your FTP in a sprint, the guys with 1000w+ over FTP will just walk away from you. I know a couple guys who can hit 40mph+ all by themselves. Even when you're on them for the last km like a tic, as soon as you try to get around them, you've only got a couple of seconds before you start fading... 42... 40..39...38... and they keep on going!

There's so many stories of beginners with dismal results their first year or two of racing. They never get dropped, finish every race, but just can seem to get any points. Coach cuts back their mileage by half, make them do their 1-minute intervals and sprints. Lo and behold, within a couple months they start winning races.

Last edited by DannoXYZ; 12-02-15 at 03:14 AM.
Old 12-02-15, 07:43 AM
Voodoo76
Blast from the Past

Bikes: Felt FR1, Ridley Excal, CAAD10, Trek 5500, Cannondale Slice

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 222 Post(s)
Liked 66 Times in 43 Posts
The question is what are you developing? I don't think you can train yourself into one of the FTP + 1000 guys Danno is describing. For me it's an 1100W gap and I would gladly trade a little peak for more FTP. I think that the effective change and tactic he describes is more VO2 or speed endurance, more razor than sprint.

I would be curious if anyone has had success making significant gains in peak power? (outside the gym). At least for this sprinter that is a hard number to increase, more a function of rest than training. But I know I can get a heck of a lot better at 20sec, 30sec etc with higher FTP.
Old 12-02-15, 08:18 AM
TheKillerPenguin
Nonsense

Bikes: Affirmative

Quoted: 880 Post(s)
Liked 541 Times in 237 Posts
I increased my 1sec from 15.1 to 17.4 and 5sec from 13.8 to 15.8 just doing on the bike work. Really wasn't much more than I described earlier in the thread, threw in 8 or so sprints 1x/wk during the first hour or two of an easy endurance ride. This happened at the same time all other markers increased.
Old 12-04-15, 07:40 PM
Doge

Bikes: 1979 Raleigh Team 753

Mentioned: 153 Post(s)
Quoted: 3375 Post(s)
Liked 371 Times in 253 Posts
Junior is sprint training (rowing) below.
Said it was the same as he does on the bike.
Said it would make him much stronger this year on the bike (we shall see).
Said he was great for 30sec or 3 hours.
Gym is still the primary place where sprint training is done.

It will have minimal effect on climbing - but will have some as you may get heavier.

I am increasingly convinced it (winning) is about the cardio / lactate level / and wee bit of what kind of power you have at the end - other than knowing what you are doing.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
sprintTraining.jpg (80.0 KB, 226 views)

Last edited by Doge; 12-04-15 at 07:48 PM.
Old 12-07-15, 09:34 PM
Brian Ratliff

Bikes: Three road bikes. Two track bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
To increase sprint power, you must increase strength. There is no good way around this. This does affect your ftp though... stronger generally means heavier, and increased time spent training sprint means less time training ftp. But there can be a balance; to be a competitive road racer in anything other than hilltop finishes and time trials means getting some sprint power. And you don't need the weight room to be a road sprinter. Heck, there are even track sprinters who don't lift...

Also, when you start sprinting, there are "noob gains" as you learn to really drive yourself into and past the redline. Condensing all your available energy into a 20 second burst is a skill. When I first started sprint training (for track), leaving everything on the track for a workout consisting of only 4-5 efforts separated by minutes of sitting/resting spread over an hour was a skill I needed to learn.
"If you’re new enough [to racing] that you would ask such question, then i would hazard a guess that if you just made up a workout that sounded hard to do, and did it, you’d probably get faster." --the tiniest sprinter
Old 12-08-15, 08:34 AM
rkwaki
soon to be gsteinc...

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Brian Ratliff
To increase sprint power, you must increase strength. There is no good way around this. This does affect your ftp though... stronger generally means heavier, and increased time spent training sprint means less time training ftp. But there can be a balance; to be a competitive road racer in anything other than hilltop finishes and time trials means getting some sprint power. And you don't need the weight room to be a road sprinter. Heck, there are even track sprinters who don't lift...

Also, when you start sprinting, there are "noob gains" as you learn to really drive yourself into and past the redline. Condensing all your available energy into a 20 second burst is a skill. When I first started sprint training (for track), leaving everything on the track for a workout consisting of only 4-5 efforts separated by minutes of sitting/resting spread over an hour was a skill I needed to learn.
Agreed.
As I've professed many times I am a pure sprinter and in embarking on a run to achieve certain goals for 2016 I've put some weight/size back on and am currently the biggest I've been in years but it is all aimed at getting where I want to be.
I rarely train my sprint but will be starting that shortly as I believe in addition to keirin and some other events for 2016 I may do sprint as well and will need to fire up those fibers.
TBH I see so many people focus on their final 15 seconds without putting the time into everything else that gets you to that final 15 seconds. Rarely can someone define themselves as a particular type of rider unless you've been racing for quite some time so taking a more general approach to training will net you the bigger overall gains.
If you are a newbie focus on everything rather than a sprint, having all that power without knowing how to use it (or go into a final corner wide open without touching the brakes) can be dangerous.
Old 12-08-15, 10:13 AM
canuckbelle

Bikes: Scott Foil 10, Di2

Mentioned: 21 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by rkwaki
TBH I see so many people focus on their final 15 seconds without putting the time into everything else that gets you to that final 15 seconds.
Could. Not. Agree. More.

It's great if you can put out 1500w for 5sec, but if you're never at the front of the race at the end to use it, who cares?
Old 12-08-15, 04:16 PM
Impreza_aL

Bikes: yellow tricycle di2 grip shifters

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

i never train my sprint but it's fun when there's someone willing to drag race with you during a ride.
Old 12-13-15, 05:31 PM
mollusk
Elite Fred

Bikes: 2009 Spooky (cracked frame), 2006 Curtlo, 2002 Lemond (current race bike) Zurich, 1987 Serotta Colorado, 1986 Cannondale for commuting, a 1984 Cannondale on loan to my son

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked 42 Times in 19 Posts
The only thing that might be a negative with sprint training versus climbing is the extra muscle mass.