Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

What are some ways I can use to minimize fatigue while riding?

Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

What are some ways I can use to minimize fatigue while riding?

Old 12-29-09, 07:59 PM
freako
Banned

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Muscles develop a memory if the routine is the same, and yours is the same, 3km 2 times a week. When this memory develops you fatigue. The only way to get past that is as others have noted, ride more often and ride further. The easiest way to ride more is to increase your time to 4 or 5 times week then increase your distance by about 10% per week which is the slow start way but it does work.

And the age of your bike or it being a 6 speed is not relevant; many Europeans ride 3 speed and single speed bikes up and down mountains so a 6 speed is just fine for your purpose.

Clothes? You can ride wearing anything...except maybe a dress! If money is an issue go to Walmart and get Starter or StaDry athletic jerseys and pants (BUT, shorts you need to buy at a Bike Shop because their padded), Walmart sells warm outer wear as well, just go and look. If money is not an issue then I can't stress enough the value of wool as others have also said.
Old 12-30-09, 12:38 AM
rcschafer

Bikes: '59 Raleigh Lenton, '86 Peugeot PSN-10 Triathalon, '84 Peugeot PGN-10, 8? Peugeot UE-18, Peugeot NS-540, '86 Giant Iguana (Xtracycle), Holdsworth Gemini tandem, Surly Cross Check fixie, '86 Centurion MV Ironman

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Off-topic: post some pics of your Peugeot in the Classic & Vintage forum, lots of Pug fans over there.
Old 12-30-09, 05:56 AM
plutonium83
Bike Commuter

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Once you learn the route, you'll find the right pace that will keep you from getting exhausted. I only commute about 2km a day, but half of it is up a 5-20% grade hill. Sometimes its nice to slow to below a normal pace just so that you can keep going.
Old 12-30-09, 10:46 AM
YungBurke
Waiting for his CX

Bikes: Jamis Satellite, Motobecane Fantom Cross UNO, Fuji Team singlespeed

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
also, as your milage increases, it is important to be eating well. I generally use a half-portion of whey protein after a hard ride and I find it improves my recovery and helps me to not gorge myself on junk later, thus resulting in leaner muscle and more power.
Old 12-30-09, 09:22 PM
freako
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whey protein is a by product of cheese which some people are allergic to. In fact some who are not allergic normally to cheese find if they eat too much can experience stomach upset or flatulence, but otherwise for the stuff is harmless they think. Studies are still being conducted to find out if whey protein can cause kidney and/or liver damage, and if it can lead to Osteoporosis because protein can lead to a mineral imbalance effecting the bone mineral density. As with any product promising "miracles" do your research first and don't over indulge.
Old 12-31-09, 10:56 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Knit sweaters which allow for air circulation are good for dealing with sweat. Dont wear too much - it doesnt matter If you are cold at the beginning of the ride as you will soon warm up.
Old 12-31-09, 10:59 AM
dwilbur3
Freewheelin' Fred

Bikes: Surly Cross Check

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AndrewP
Knit sweaters which allow for air circulation are good for dealing with sweat. Dont wear too much - it doesnt matter If you are cold at the beginning of the ride as you will soon warm up.
Remember that this is a 3 km commute. There's barely time to warm up.
Old 01-01-10, 11:28 AM
colleen c
I am a caffine girl

Bikes: 2012 Stumpjumper FSR Comp...2010 Scott CR1 CF...2007 Novara FS Float2.0...2009 Specialized Hardrock Disc...2009 Schwinn Le Tour GSr

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by dwilbur3
Remember that this is a 3 km commute. There's barely time to warm up.
Thinking about this, fatigue in that short distant maybe normal for some individual. I for one, find myself sometime feel sluggish and worn out during my first initial 3km. I feel more energetic at the end of a 10 mile than I did the first two miles.
Old 01-01-10, 03:19 PM
tjspiel

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 13 Posts
Originally Posted by colleen c
Thinking about this, fatigue in that short distant maybe normal for some individual. I for one, find myself sometime feel sluggish and worn out during my first initial 3km. I feel more energetic at the end of a 10 mile than I did the first two miles.
That is a good point, especially when it's cold out. At 3k I'm just starting to warm up.
Old 01-14-10, 03:27 PM
luderart

Bikes: Peugeot Demi Course, Gitane racing bike, Oyama BMX

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Doohickie
Agree with what everyone else has said. Push your seat up higher and higher, eventually you'll find the sweet spot where pedaling is most efficient. Also, for the difficult climbs, if there are any longer but not-so-steep routes you can take, try those. You'll get more miles in to add to your base miles and build up your endurance.

Bottom line, though, is just ride!
Thanks! I raised the seat half a centimeter and it made a big difference. Also, on the way back it's all uphill (not that much) and before the final stretch there is a very steep uphill road which I used to bike. Today, being pragmatic, I stepped down and walked that part of the road. It made a marked difference in the ensuing fatigue I experienced.
Old 01-14-10, 07:42 PM
Fremdchen

Bikes: 2007 Fuji hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
luderart,
I have a short ride. I often wear a thin, knit athletic top (turtleneck or t-shirt), with a cycling vest (Pearl Izumi brand) on top. I also have a wonderful jacket from The North Face, the "Swift Hybrid" jacket. It has different types of fabric on different body areas, to regulate your body temperature.

On such a short ride, your hands will be cold, and your underarms and back will be hot. Wear warm gloves, but lighter clothing on your body.
Old 01-14-10, 07:46 PM
Doohickie
You gonna eat that?

Bikes: 1966 Raleigh DL-1 Tourist, 1973 Schwinn Varsity, 1983 Raleigh Marathon, 1994 Nishiki Sport XRS

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 164 Post(s)
Liked 67 Times in 44 Posts
Originally Posted by luderart
Thanks! I raised the seat half a centimeter and it made a big difference. Also, on the way back it's all uphill (not that much) and before the final stretch there is a very steep uphill road which I used to bike. Today, being pragmatic, I stepped down and walked that part of the road. It made a marked difference in the ensuing fatigue I experienced.
Here's another tip.... when going up a hill, leave it in a slightly higher gear and stand up on the pedals and "walk" up the hill. If you're in too low of a gear, you accelerate too quickly and start spinning too fast. In a slightly higher gear, you strike a balance where you just can pedal with a steady cadence while standing on the pedals.

Originally Posted by bragi "However, it's never a good idea to overgeneralize."
Old 01-14-10, 09:05 PM
Jude

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Whoa, if Lebanon is anywhere near as mountainous as Israel and the West Bank, I give you mad props for biking at all there...although nothing could really be as bad as the WB.