Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

How Big is Your Tent?

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

How Big is Your Tent?

Search this Thread

Old 05-06-11, 08:56 AM
irwin7638

Bikes: Sam, The Hunq and that Old Guy, Soma Buena Vista, Giant Talon 2, Brompton

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 102 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 48 Posts
I opt for the two man with a vestibule. I am using a Coleman Heka2.

https://simplecycle-marc.blogspot.com...cking-101.html

I'm not really partial to Coleman, but they give huge discounts to BSA leaders, too huge to ignore.

Marc
Old 05-06-11, 09:30 AM
truman
It's true, man.

Bikes: Cannondale T1000, Inbred SS 29er, Supercaliber 29er, Crescent Mark XX, Burley Rumba Tandem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use an REI Quarterdome 2UL. It doesn't pack away as small as I'd like, but it's freestanding, easily pitched, pretty light, roomy for me and my stuff to lay up on a rainy day, or change clothes easily in a public campground. In a pinch it could sleep 2 people, but I wouldn't want to do that for long.
Old 05-06-11, 10:10 AM
Pedaleur
Je pose, donc je suis.

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 2 Posts
I suppose I could fit two in in a pinch...

Old 05-06-11, 10:30 AM
iforgotmename

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a coleman two person single pole tent that I got for free from my sister. I think it would be a little uncomfortable to share with anyone that you don't mind snuggling up with. Nice tent with two vestibules for gear and pretty light.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
findley.jpg (99.9 KB, 27 views)
Old 05-06-11, 01:00 PM
Boondock
afoot and lighthearted

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950, Trek 1220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
9 straight months of living in a Eureka Backcountry Solo. I have another 4 months to look forward to. No complaints.
Old 05-06-11, 02:27 PM
MMACH 5
Cycle Dallas

Bikes: Dulcinea--2017 Kona Rove & a few others

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 197 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 5 Posts
Eureka Solitaire. At two and a half pounds and $65.00, it's about as economical as they come.
Old 05-06-11, 04:22 PM
BigBlueToe

Bikes: Surly LHT, Specialized Rockhopper, Nashbar Touring (old), Specialized Stumpjumper (older), Nishiki Tourer (model unknown)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
The lighter, the better, up to a point. You still need enough space to be comfortable at night. I'm 6'4". I had a Sierra Designs Clip Flashlight 2 that was very light, and packed small, but I couldn't quite stretch out in comfort. Then I found the Microlight 2 from L. L. Bean. It's just a little roomier than the Clip Flashlight, and not much heavier. It has proven to be perfect for me. It's big enough to be comfortable, there's enough room for me to have some clothes and stuff next to me when I sleep (I have Ortliebs so I leave them outside.) It's lightweight, and it doesn't leak.

For someone who's not so tall you could get by with something a little smaller. I love the Seedhouse 2, but it's just a few inches shorter than I'd like.
Old 05-06-11, 11:18 PM
cyclist2000

Bikes: Masi, Giant TCR, Eisentraut (retired), Jamis Aurora Elite, Zullo, Cannondale, 84 & 93 Stumpjumpers, Waterford, Tern D8, Bianchi, Gunner Roadie, Serotta, Serotta Duette, was gifted a Diamond Back

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 305 Post(s)
Liked 2,038 Times in 604 Posts
I use a MHW lightpath 3p tent. it is about the same weight as lots of 2p tents.room for me and all my stuff except the bike.
Old 05-07-11, 04:22 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boondock
9 straight months of living in a Eureka Backcountry Solo. I have another 4 months to look forward to. No complaints.
You don't find the lack of a full coverage rainfly an issue then?
Old 05-07-11, 09:01 AM
robow

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 598 Post(s)
Liked 283 Times in 194 Posts
For the last few seasons, the Kelty Teton 2 on the left, very similar to Gus Riley's Grand Mesa noted above but the door is on the side vs. the end. Can be had for about $100, weighs in at 4 lbs total, free standing and easy to set up, 33 sq. feet, just right for one and some stuff, too tight for two unless both are occupants are small. It has kept me bone dry in a few really nasty storms and held up well so far. No complaints to this point.

Old 05-07-11, 11:21 AM
Boondock
afoot and lighthearted

Bikes: 1989 Trek 950, Trek 1220

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ctyler
You don't find the lack of a full coverage rainfly an issue then?
Having spent 12 years in Western Washington, I got used to carrying a 8X10 ripstop nylon tarp, and yes I carry it on this trip (an extra 1.5 pounds) I pitch the tarp over the tent. My tent stays almost completely dry even in the heaviest deluge. I've gone thru so much rain in the last month... I would carry the tarp with any tent. I've spent a total of about 7 days in the tent in the last 30 days (including 3 straight days) But I've also endured rain in the tent without the tarp on this trip and I had no issues
Old 05-07-11, 07:31 PM
n3vqh

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I got used to carrying a 8X10 ripstop nylon tarp, and yes I carry it on this trip (an extra 1.5 pounds) I pitch the tarp over the tent. My tent stays almost completely dry even in the heaviest deluge.

I really like this idea and I saw it in your videos on the C and O ... going to keep that in mind for my large family tent that has a crappy fly. <-not for biking

Mike
Old 05-08-11, 04:20 AM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Having spent 12 years in Western Washington, I got used to carrying a 8X10 ripstop nylon tarp, and yes I carry it on this trip (an extra 1.5 pounds) I pitch the tarp over the tent. My tent stays almost completely dry even in the heaviest deluge. I've gone thru so much rain in the last month... I would carry the tarp with any tent. I've spent a total of about 7 days in the tent in the last 30 days (including 3 straight days) But I've also endured rain in the tent without the tarp on this trip and I had no issues
Thank you for the reply and info.
Old 05-08-11, 05:18 PM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 1946 Post(s)
Liked 643 Times in 440 Posts
REI Quarter Dome T2 plus. Two man. On short trips I take a Henessey Hammock, but on long tours I prefer the comfort and convenience of a roomy tent.
Old 05-09-11, 11:39 AM
Tansy

Bikes: Novara Safari(2009)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Pretty darn small. Coleman Exponent Dakota 1. It's now sold as 'Kraz 1', but as far as I can see it's the same tent. It weighs 3lb 7oz, and costs around $60. My first touring tent was an Eureka Solitaire, and then a hammock. The Eureka tent took too long to set up, for its size, because of the narrow, sticky-textures pole sleeves. The attached rainfly could not be packed separately if wet. The Coleman tent has much more headroom, clips instead of sleeves, a regular detachable rainfly, aluminum poles, and it opens at the side instead of the front, so it's a lot easier to get yourself/your gear in and out of. It's also green rather than bright orange, but it's a pretty bright, visible green. The Eureka tent seems more sturdy and waterproof, but I've been through some wicked thunder the wind storms with the Coleman, and it's never leaked.

For my upcoming tour, which is fairly open-ended and has no planned end date, I bought and Alps Mountaineering Zephyr 2 - the sage/coal colored one. As much as I like my little Coleman tent, it's too small for that kind of prolonged use. I Haven't used it enough to pass judgment, but I mostly like the look and feel of it. They most often complained about problem, a lack of a tie out on the foot of the tent, seems to have been corrected in the 2011 tents. My only real complaint now is that it seems too big with the rainfly on. How am I ever going to stealth camp in this house of a tent?
Old 05-09-11, 12:43 PM
scrapser

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I have a Hilleburg Allak 2-person tent for long tours. For short trips, the Hennessy Hammock fits the bill.