Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Hybrid Bicycles
Reload this Page >

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search
Notices
Hybrid Bicycles Where else would you go to discuss these fun, versatile bikes?

What did you do for your Hybrid today

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-18, 04:56 PM
dueWest

Bikes: Huffy Superia (US made), 2018 Giant Roam 3 Disc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 17 Times in 7 Posts
Picked up a loaner WTB seat at the LBS to try for the next couple of rides. Just the right amount of cushy where my sit bones are. This is my observation after a 1 mile trial run today. Tomorrow and Tuesday will tell.
Old 02-27-18, 03:42 PM
DowneasTTer

Bikes: 2022 LiteSpeed CHEROHALA CITY, 2019 Canyon Roadlite 9.0 CF LTD, 2015 Giant FastRoad CoMax 1, 2001 Mongoose Pro Triomphe,

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 129 Post(s)
Liked 84 Times in 50 Posts
One of the things I HATE most is RUST. Our bikes, 15 Giant CoMax 1's spend a good deal of time on traveling on the back of our motorhome. I have noticed that the only part of the bikes that have any rust on them is the pin holding the skewer handle on. So..... I have replaced the skewers in the past but it only works for a short time before rust begins anew. SO.... I purchased these ENVE TI road skewers. Here they are but first please excuse the filth on the current fork...need to spend some quality time with my bike.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
old skewer.jpg (68.2 KB, 378 views)
skewer.jpg (74.1 KB, 377 views)
open.jpg (78.4 KB, 383 views)
Old 02-27-18, 06:39 PM
Delwis
Trekker

Bikes: Trek Domane SL6, Trek FXS6, Trek X-Claiber9

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 107 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice titanium skewers!
Old 02-28-18, 03:16 PM
lhill 

Bikes: ‘90ish Peugeot Triathlon and Specialized Alibi Hybrid

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 26 Times in 15 Posts
There are lots of muddy puddles on my MUP right now so I bought a SKS Xtra Dry seatpost mounted rear fender for my bike.....works great today,no mud up my back or on the back of my helmet.
Old 03-03-18, 01:08 PM
dueWest

WTB pure V saddle arrived today. Much better for my bony posterior.
Old 03-03-18, 01:16 PM
pjthomas

Bikes: 2000 Trek 720 Multitrack (plus)

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by dueWest
WTB pure V saddle arrived today. Much better for my bony posterior.
My WTB is a big thumbs up also.
Old 03-03-18, 09:45 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Bikes: I'm a Flatbar Guy

Quoted: 356 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
EDIT: Moved to the correct thread.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 03-13-18 at 09:25 AM.
Old 03-04-18, 03:49 AM
andrei_r

Bikes: Giant FCR 3 with lots of mods, Brazilian made Caloi 100.

Quoted: 188 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Scooty Puff Jr
No one should ever say you can’t do big miles on a Surly 50 pound bike.

BEER & TACOS “85”

Cyclemeter - Cycle - Mar 3, 2018 at 9:03 AM
That sure is impressive! I've been struggling to get past the 60 mile mark on my rides. Maybe I should find a beer and tacos place to motivate me more.
Old 03-04-18, 08:59 AM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Take 2

Originally Posted by andrei_r

Still haven't tested it on a long ride.
Ok, I think I nailed it this time.

1) Took off the carbon flat bar that I had accidentally cut too short at 56cm and the 90mm space age alloy stem that I've recently come to find too short. Put back the old 58cm aluminum flat bar and the old 110mm stem which is now inverted and slammed. Gave me that extra stretch I was looking for.

2) Put back the grips, but chopped the outer edges to make them shorter and also to have a smoother transition with the outer bar ends. Felt much better on today's 44km ride. Used both the grips the rubberized bar ends.

3) Got a new pair of cheapie aluminum bar ends that have a slightly different bend than the previous ones. Rather than being bent in the middle, these one are bent at about 3/4. Managed to separate them from their base by applying heat. Flipped them around so that the longer side would point out from the handlebar, aligned them in nearly vertical plane and epoxied back to the base. Used them a lot today and liked how it felt. Now, I'll have to file little notches in the base/clamps as they slightly interfere with the shifter triggers (the ones pulled by the index finger). Also will need to wrap them doubling up the tape in some spots where more pressure is typically applied.

Old 03-04-18, 04:08 PM
dueWest

Went for an 11 mile ride today. Played with the saddle adjustment a few times. Really love the WTB Pure V. Just the right amount of cushion over the Connect saddle that came with the bike, but very similar profile so not too bulky.

Cleaned and lubed the chain. Was getting some crunchy noises in 3rd and 4th on the 2nd chain ring. 3rd on the small ring was silent. Will see if that fixes it.

Gave the bike a basic water cleaning and wipe down as well. The irony of the image on the paper towels.
Attached Images
0303181256.jpg (1.07 MB, 331 views)
0304181544.jpg (1.13 MB, 332 views)
Old 03-05-18, 04:23 PM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Ok, I think I nailed it this time.

1) Took off the carbon flat bar that I had accidentally cut too short at 56cm and the 90mm space age alloy stem that I've recently come to find too short. Put back the old 58cm aluminum flat bar and the old 110mm stem which is now inverted and slammed. Gave me that extra stretch I was looking for.

2) Put back the grips, but chopped the outer edges to make them shorter and also to have a smoother transition with the outer bar ends. Felt much better on today's 44km ride. Used both the grips the rubberized bar ends.

3) Got a new pair of cheapie aluminum bar ends that have a slightly different bend than the previous ones. Rather than being bent in the middle, these one are bent at about 3/4. Managed to separate them from their base by applying heat. Flipped them around so that the longer side would point out from the handlebar, aligned them in nearly vertical plane and epoxied back to the base. Used them a lot today and liked how it felt. Now, I'll have to file little notches in the base/clamps as they slightly interfere with the shifter triggers (the ones pulled by the index finger). Also will need to wrap them doubling up the tape in some spots where more pressure is typically applied.
I kinda hate you....because that looks awesome and I want to do it...and now I have to go find the time and energy to do it because I can't know that something could be awesome and not try it!
Old 03-05-18, 08:14 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Skipjacks
I kinda hate you....because that looks awesome and I want to do it...and now I have to go find the time and energy to do it because I can't know that something could be awesome and not try it!
Uh.. thanks... I guess?
I'd like to see what yours looks like in the end.
Old 03-06-18, 08:35 AM
Skipjacks

Bikes: 2017 Specialized Crosstrail / 2013 Trek Crossrip Elite

Mentioned: 43 Post(s)
Quoted: 1002 Post(s)
Liked 237 Times in 155 Posts
Uh.. thanks... I guess?
I'd like to see what yours looks like in the end.
What looks perfect is that it puts a hand hold right in the middle. I could hold that while sitting up straighter when I need to stretch my back a bit on long straightaways. I can't do that with bar ends out to the sides because my arms spread so far I have to lean forward. But sometimes I just want to sit straight up (wind resistance be damned)

I've got all my lights and GPS and what night mounted on the bar in the middle so I can't really grab there.

I'm going to go find cheap bar ends and do this....eventually.
Old 03-06-18, 06:19 PM
ColonelSanders
Banned.

Bikes: 2017 Surly Troll with XT Drive Train, 2017 Merida Big Nine XT Edition, 2016 Giant Toughroad SLR 2, 1995 Trek 830

Mentioned: 29 Post(s)
Quoted: 1916 Post(s)
Liked 310 Times in 218 Posts
Originally Posted by dueWest
Went for an 11 mile ride today. Played with the saddle adjustment a few times. Really love the WTB Pure V. Just the right amount of cushion over the Connect saddle that came with the bike, but very similar profile so not too bulky.

Cleaned and lubed the chain. Was getting some crunchy noises in 3rd and 4th on the 2nd chain ring. 3rd on the small ring was silent. Will see if that fixes it.

Gave the bike a basic water cleaning and wipe down as well. The irony of the image on the paper towels.

Nice to see you putting your Roam to good use.
Old 03-10-18, 03:11 PM
patrekrider

Bikes: Trek Hybrid, will enter model number once I know

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ready for Spring 2018

My Trek Hybrid was in the shop for 17 days, which is just as well because the weather has been banal--and brutal-- here of late. They adjusted the brakes and shifters and checked all critical parts free of charge since I purchased the bike there. Got the drive train, which I had totally replaced last year, cleaned up. Also replaced the tires with Bontrager Hard Case in the same 700 x 28 size. Last season I had three flats, hopefully in 2018 it will be zero. It may be time for new grips and bar ends soon, but for me that's a DIY job.

It'll take me a while to get back into road shape, but I'll get there. At least one more section of the Schuylkill River Trail (in Pottstown, PA) is slated to open in early spring; I've been anxiously awaiting that since they started working on it. I'll probably follow up on that in the "Where'd you ride today?" thread in the coming weeks.
Old 03-13-18, 09:23 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Did a very serious modification to my Surly, I finally found a cup holder that was worthy of a Saturday Beer & Taco ride. Of course the bottle of beer is for illustration purposes only.

Hopefully on my next long ride I will post the ride in the correct thread instead of in this one, I tend to not be thinking quite clearly on Saturday evenings for some reason.

Old 03-13-18, 09:27 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
That sure is impressive! I've been struggling to get past the 60 mile mark on my rides. Maybe I should find a beer and tacos place to motivate me more.
I won't lie, if theres a really good taco place 30 some miles away, it does give me some motivation to get there, and the beer doesn't hurt either. Now if I could just post my rides in the correct thread instead of in this one lol.
Old 03-14-18, 05:18 AM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Did a very serious modification to my Surly, I finally found a cup holder that was worthy of a Saturday Beer & Taco ride. Of course the bottle of beer is for illustration purposes only.

Hopefully on my next long ride I will post the ride in the correct thread instead of in this one, I tend to not be thinking quite clearly on Saturday evenings for some reason.

You can't post this without posting details on where to get the beer holder.
Old 03-14-18, 01:02 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by jimmie65
You can't post this without posting details on where to get the beer holder.
Bought it from my LBS, its called a Kroozie cup, it’s metal with 2 insulated inserts and a very adjustable mount, so it should fit any bar.
Old 03-14-18, 02:15 PM
andrei_r

Liked 9 Times in 7 Posts
Bought it from my LBS, its called a Kroozie cup, it’s metal with 2 insulated inserts and a very adjustable mount, so it should fit any bar.
and you can only ride on silky smooth roads now (when carrying beer)
Old 03-14-18, 05:31 PM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
and you can only ride on silky smooth roads now (when carrying beer)
LOL, I never carry beer in it Obviously no open drink is going to be okay on bumpy dirt trails, but I never leave the pavement and I run 40psi in my Schwalbe Big Apple 2.3 tires, so any paved surface feels silky smooth to me. Had a couple open bottles of ice tea when riding down the beach last Saturday, and it worked really nice, and it held my banana for a while in the morning too.

Last edited by Scooty Puff Jr; 03-14-18 at 05:34 PM.
Old 03-14-18, 05:50 PM
jimmie65
Proud hobo biker

Bikes: 2019 Surly Ogre, 2016 Giant Anyroad 2, Lightspeed Roadrunner trike, SE Tripel (in process)

Quoted: 202 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
I've got a Kroozie (on my cruiser) but it's too shiny and not quite as adjustable.
Old 03-14-18, 06:33 PM
muddyrock

Bikes: 2019 Trek X-Caliber 8 and 2019 Trek FX2

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Ordered some strapless toe clips. Just so I can get use to useing the ball of my foot to pedal. I have a bad habit of using closer to my arch.
Old 03-15-18, 08:17 AM
rumrunn6

Bikes: Bottecchia Sprint, GT Timberline 29r, Marin Muirwoods 29er, Trek FX Alpha 7.0

Mentioned: 112 Post(s)
Quoted: 5224 Post(s)
Liked 3,581 Times in 2,342 Posts
Originally Posted by muddyrock
Ordered some strapless toe clips. Just so I can get use to using the ball of my foot to pedal. I have a bad habit of using closer to my arch.
groovy. which did you order? & let us know how you like them! btw there are ways to adjust them as-in adding spacers in case the cage isn't deep enough for your shoe. even if they are the correct size, at first, you may feel like you are pedaling with your toes. hope you like them! here's a pic of mine

Old 03-15-18, 08:24 AM
Scooty Puff Jr

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by muddyrock
Ordered some strapless toe clips. Just so I can get use to useing the ball of my foot to pedal. I have a bad habit of using closer to my arch.
Foot placement is very important, and toe clips help a lot, what kind did you get ?

Have you thought about using "clipless" pedals and shoes ? I prefer them over the toe clips mainly because your foot will always be in the proper position and they keep your shoes from moving side to side and rubbing on the crank arm.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.