Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

New guy's observation on the C&V forum . . .

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

New guy's observation on the C&V forum . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-23, 12:02 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Originally Posted by Atlas Shrugged
Sure I have been a smart ass
Ya think?
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-24-23, 12:12 AM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
But its not just about performance and I get that so enjoy but no need to make up BS on how terrible newer bikes are.
https://youtu.be/mVSJ_ameqlA
How can you not admire and want to ride these amazing examples of modern bicycle tech.
Well I don't buy technology but reliability and solidity that are made to last. The video in question shows only carbon bikes with integrated headset and stem which are non adjustable, disc brakes and wireless transmission and there is absolutely nothing amazing in them.For classic and vintage people like me and others here,they are just carbon bikes with no real soul or artisanal craftsmanship. I am not talking about repairability of a severely dented carbon frame.

Last edited by georges1; 04-24-23 at 12:27 AM.
Old 04-24-23, 01:00 AM
merziac

Bikes: Merz x 5 + Specialized Merz Allez x 2, Strawberry/Newlands/DiNucci/Ti x3, Gordon, Fuso/Moulton x2, Bornstein, Paisley,1958-74 Paramounts x3, 3rensho, 74 Moto TC, 73-78 Raleigh Pro's x5, Marinoni x2, 1960 Cinelli SC, 1980 Bianchi SC, PX-10 X 2

Mentioned: 267 Post(s)
Quoted: 4513 Post(s)
Liked 6,389 Times in 3,674 Posts
Not at all just having a discussion and trying to learn from a segment of cyclists I never encounter out and about in the regular cycling community.

As always I end with enjoy your C&V bikes and have fun. Just trying to see if there is actually something I am missing here.
Again, BS.
Likes For merziac:
Old 04-24-23, 01:29 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
I'd have a go at riding all of the bikes in that link of new bikes, but looking at them my over riding impression of every single one of them was meh. And that's if they cost say 1000 bucks, the fact they all cost multiple times that just makes me want to walk on by even faster.

At the cafe stop in my experience a nice C&V bike will be getting more attention and love from the assembled crowd every single time than virtually any carbon bike. Yes there will be some seething butt hurt guy with a 10k+ bike there convinced his bike is better in every single way and is jealous of the attention the steel classic gets, let him stew in his own juices. Cycling is much more than just peak performance, lightest weight and fastest speed, in fact the majority of cyclists don't prioritize those things, and definitely won't be spending good second hand car money on a bike that supposedly promises those things.

I have many times had people stop me on my steel bikes to compliment them, I even had a guy last week ask me if he could take a photo of me and my bike. I've got steel, ti and carbon bikes, nobody has ever said a word about the ti or carbon ones, and they're really rather nice.

Cycling is as much about how it makes you feel too. Riding any bike is better than riding no bike in my opinion, so I'm not coming from a place of hating carbon, but there's no romance of whiff of history for me with a carbon frame injected into a mold by a robot, and I don't care how much the company claim to have spent on R&D (cos as said above I don't care about 0.8% increased stiffness marketing guff), so paying a big chunk of change for a new carbon frame just doesn't seem worth it.

All my bikes, steel, carbon and ti are set up with decent tyres and brifters with at least 20 gears, and honestly the difference between them performance wise is negligible. My carbon bike is a few kg's lighter so if I was timing myself cycling up an Alp I'm pretty sure it would be a bit quicker, but I don't live near an Alp, and if I did I wouldn't care about how quick I went up or down it. The carbon bike has deeper section wheels that do help at holding speed when going along at a great clip, but only very marginally, and in terms of actual top speed on the flat I can get up the same top speed on my steel bikes as I can on my carbon bike, the engine powering them is the same after all.

The fact of the matter is I have more mates with modern carbon bikes than steel bikes, and when I go riding with them, not once ever has me on my old steel bikes been dropped or left behind, and they have often tried, but there is no massive performance disadvantage at all to C&V unless you are trying to win the Tour de France. A good spec'd steel bike can be built with decent 2nd hand parts for way less than 1/10 of the price of a new top end carbon bike, and there is no way in hell the carbon bike is 10 times better, it won't even be twice as good, its maybe nought point something percent better, so lets round that down to nothing, so the rate of return for splashing the extra cash is meh and not worth it imo.

My steel bikes are more than capable of doing all I want a bike to do for me. I don't hate or denigrate carbon bikes, but the carbon one I do own I got 2nd hand for a bargain price. It was superbike money once but I wasn't interested in it then. And like most C&V'ers I'm a bit of a tinkerer and like the process of sourcing parts and building bikes too, so that is also very much part of the allure for me.

Fundamentally I just think ALL new bikes are a waste of money, and like cars the biggest hit in depreciation comes in the first year, so I'd rather save the money to spend on extra cake and a fine wine/ nice beer at the cafe stop, where I can sit down with everyone else, and admire how mighty fine that sparkly paint job and chrome looks in the evening sun, and a smile will break out on my face and all will feel good in the world. I just won't get that from a plastic Giant.
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-24-23, 02:04 AM
botty kayer

Bikes: Yes, probably too many but still have a roving eye...

Liked 2,807 Times in 535 Posts
In summary, Atlas Shrugged yes you are definitely missing something
Likes For botty kayer:
Old 04-24-23, 05:25 AM
nlerner

Mentioned: 481 Post(s)
Quoted: 3811 Post(s)
Liked 6,717 Times in 2,614 Posts
But WWER?
Old 04-24-23, 06:01 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
I love how much I learn on the c+v threads. Said differently; I am amazed at how little I know about bikes when I read c+v posts after 39 years of serious cycling.
Likes For RB1-luvr:
Old 04-24-23, 06:35 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Quoted: 3514 Post(s)
Liked 2,927 Times in 1,776 Posts
a segment of cyclists I never encounter out and about in the regular cycling community.
You probably don't ride enough.
Likes For smd4:
Old 04-24-23, 06:40 AM
smd4

I got vintage steel as well which should qualify for this group. The Raleigh is totally original including the tires and the Marinoni is a custom for me with the original 7 speed Dura Ace and tubular wheels in a box somewhere, its in perfect condition.
These are the bikes you think "qualify" for "this group?" As they sit, they pretty much disqualify you.
Old 04-24-23, 10:40 AM
brianinc-ville

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 57 Times in 40 Posts
Originally Posted by iab
But back to the OP. I see most folks here as one or a combination of the following.
  • Never got rid of their new bike and by attrition, it is C&V
  • Nostalgic for the bikes of their youth
  • Want a good bang for your bike buck
  • Great way to work with your hands
  • Partial to a certain aesthetic style
  • Geeked by the racing history
  • Geeked by the differences in the manufacturing history
  • The bike is a jewel, not a tool
  • As for the subforum itself, most folks are generous with knowledge
All of it works for me even though I don't relate to many of the bullets.
I can relate to a lot of these descriptors, but I've mostly been tool-not-jewel, rather than jewel-not-tool. I started using this forum as a grad student trying to keep my $40 Salvation Army Peugeot going for everyday transportation, when I couldn't afford to take it to a shop. Over the years I picked up other C&V bikes for other reasons, but for the most part I was always trying to learn how to put cheap old parts together into a really useful everyday transportation bike that I couldn't afford to buy new.

It's easy to forget, too, that for decades it was pretty impossible to buy a decent new transportation bike in North America, even if you had the money to spend -- from roughly 1980 to 2012, a 1950-1980 English 3-speed was actually a better option than anything new on the market. That has changed. Nowadays I've got more money, but no longer the time to mess around, so I ride modern city and cargo bikes that didn't exist when I joined this forum (Douze V2, Priority Continuum) and don't hang around here as much as I used to.
Old 04-24-23, 12:13 PM
Bad Lag

Bikes: 1974 Bob Jackson - Nuovo Record, Brooks Pro, Clips & Straps

Mentioned: 22 Post(s)
Quoted: 1104 Post(s)
Liked 794 Times in 452 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
When I log in to BF I see this subforum consistently having the largest number of viewers.
I find this pleasing since I'm an old guy who likes the classic style.
Is it stretch to conclude that there are a bunch of old guys frequenting this board?.
Seriously, I would have expected the General Cycling board to have the most viewers.
FWIW
I came to this Forum looking for info on maintaining my C&V bike - parts, advice, etc. The Forum was (and is) well beyond the "critical mass" needed to be vital and effective in that role, so I stayed. I suspect others are here for similar reasons. A common interest and need keeps us together.

Although I do not feel it, I am chronologically an "old fart". I have enjoyed cycling since I got my first bike at age 12.

Like you, I also like the classic style, steel bikes. I am both a "classic" and "vintage" aficionado. With one exception, over my lifetime, all my bikes have all been steel, 2X5 ten speeds with drop bars.
The exception is a steel, eight speed IGH, an homage to the classic English bikes. It's even black in color.

For all intents and purposes, I only ride my 50 year old Bob Jackson ten speed. We have been everywhere together, doing all sorts of rides - loaded touring, fast club rides, commuting 70 miles/day, etc. These days my riding is mostly restricted to daily fitness rides which I enjoy immensely. Shortly after I finish typing this, I will go on my daily ride.

I'd never noticed this is the most frequented Board. Similar to my attitude about others' bike choices, whether carbon fiber, e-bikes, C&V or whatever, it just doesn't matter to me.

Life is short, enjoy your time while riding.

Last edited by Bad Lag; 04-24-23 at 05:09 PM.
Likes For Bad Lag:
Old 04-24-23, 05:05 PM
steelbikeguy

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 1829 Post(s)
Liked 3,380 Times in 1,581 Posts
Originally Posted by eljayski
You won't be rid of me that easily . . . When I got serious about a new bike about a year or so ago I gravitated to David Kirk because I like the idea of hand made by a single master and his bikes are classic in appearance. No vintage for me, however, because I like the trouble-free nature of new stuff. The Kirk should be delivered to me in the coming month. Til then, riding my (now) trusty Ribble Ti road bike. Ribble is Shimano 105 Di2 but the Kirk and the two Italian gems will be Campy with rim brakes.
It is fun to get a custom frame made for you, with all of the quirks and details that make you happy!
A side effect is that you don't have to fret about minor abuse, unlike some precious vintage bikes, because there's no legend about how the bike is supposed to look, etc.
Also.. modern paint is so much more durable than the bikes of the 70's!

I did see Dave Kirk's booth at the 2009 NAHBS in Indianapolis. Pretty nice stuff.

Steve in Peoria (my precious vintage bikes are "sunny day" bikes, but my custom bikes get abused and enjoyed in all weather)
Likes For steelbikeguy:
Old 04-24-23, 10:42 PM
georges1
Steel is real

Bikes: 1992Giant Tourer,1992MeridaAlbon,1996Scapin,1998KonaKilaueua,1993Peugeot Prestige,1991RaleighTeamZ(to be upgraded),1998 Jamis Dragon,1992CTWallis(to be built),1998VettaTeam(to be built),1995Coppi(to be built),1993Grandis(to be built)

Quoted: 671 Post(s)
Liked 979 Times in 650 Posts
Originally Posted by steelbikeguy
It is fun to get a custom frame made for you, with all of the quirks and details that make you happy!
A side effect is that you don't have to fret about minor abuse, unlike some precious vintage bikes, because there's no legend about how the bike is supposed to look, etc.
Also.. modern paint is so much more durable than the bikes of the 70's!

I did see Dave Kirk's booth at the 2009 NAHBS in Indianapolis. Pretty nice stuff.

Steve in Peoria (my precious vintage bikes are "sunny day" bikes, but my custom bikes get abused and enjoyed in all weather)
Nice lugged framed steel bikes
Old 04-25-23, 04:52 AM
smd4

Can one get a custom carbon frame?
Old 04-25-23, 02:38 PM
mhespenheide 

Bikes: Cannondale Synapse, LeMond Victoire, Bianchi Campione d'Italia, Kona Hei Hei, Ritchey Ultra, Schwinn "Paramount" PDG, '83 Trek 640

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 268 Post(s)
Liked 325 Times in 211 Posts
Originally Posted by smd4
Can one get a custom carbon frame?
Yes. Landshark, Crumpton, Parlee, and Sarto come to mind. I'm sure there are others. Calfee, too, maybe.
Likes For mhespenheide:
Old 04-30-23, 09:24 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
“To ride a bicycle is in itself some protection against superstitious fears, since the bicycle is the product of pure reason applied to motion. Geometry at the service of man! Give me two spheres and a straight line and I will show you how far I can take them. Voltaire himself might have invented the bicycle, since it contributes so much to man’s welfare and nothing at all to his bane. Beneficial to the health, it emits no harmful fumes and permits only the most decorous speeds. How can a bicycle ever be an implement of harm?”
― Angela Carter\\

“When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking.”
― Arthur Conan Doyle
Likes For brixxton:
Old 05-01-23, 12:41 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Bikes: It's complicated.

Mentioned: 1299 Post(s)
Quoted: 4682 Post(s)
Liked 5,803 Times in 2,286 Posts
The C&V part I like best are the people. Older people, people who get my old movie references, mostly guys who aren't out to pound me into the pavement and prefer riding cooperatively rather than competitively. We wait for the slowest riders at the top of a hill, knowing it's a lot more enjoyable to share the experience rathern than "win".

We enjoy the veloship enough that many of us will do a week long tour together. Outside of myself, I met most of these people through BF C&V:

Old 05-01-23, 01:27 PM
Chr0m0ly 

Bikes: '84 Miyata 610 ‘91 Cannondale ST600,'83 Trek 720 ‘84 Trek 520, 620, ‘91 Miyata 1000LT, '79 Trek 514, '78 Trek 706, '73 Raleigh Int. frame.

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 685 Post(s)
Liked 370 Times in 219 Posts
There are so many exaggerations and mistruths in your post however this is C&V so it’s not the place to enter into a reasonable discussion on why modern bikes are an amazing contribution to the sport. Been there tried that.

Perhaps rather than the usual us versus them screed understand that there are good reasons why a vast majority of cyclists prefer modern bikes and realistically their interests in the sport are different. To most people bikes are just a tool to facilitate a sport, you would never see a skier, tennis player or marathon runner keep their used equipment. Cyclists past a certain age who have multiple bikes probably have kept a C&V bike or two but still ride their modern bikes a vast majority of the time. Modern bike riders are indifferent or even admire vintage bikes but rarely denigrate them unlike the other way around. No need to exaggerate the flaws in modern bikes or deny there advances. If I go for a spirited fast out and back, a century or a month long tour I am taking a modern bike but that’s me. I am not saying it is not possible on a C&V bike however it’s pretty hard to honestly say it would be better.

Almost 20 year old bike perfectly safe and rideable.

If cycling is a sport than I agree with everything you've posted, but there are many riders for whom the bike is for transportation, not racing. Having bicycles classified as sporting equipment while losing it's position as a vehicle for transportation is one reason it is difficult to get more cycleing infrastructure and why cycling is less popular in the United states than say, in Holland.

The new sleek bikes are undeniably faster and lighter, and if you are trying to shave seconds, or just love the aesthetic, or want the most recent mechanical developments than by all means go modern. But if your interest lies in commuting, touring, picnics, going to the beach, meeting friends up for coffee, tinkering and tuning, making the old beautiful and usable, being able to afford trying many different geometries and frame materials to discover your preferences, than you could be much better off with vintage.

As for other sporting equipment I love hiking with my Jansport external frame pack from the 70’s, shooting my one piece wood and fiberglass bows from the 60s and 70s, riding vintage motorcycles, winter camping in wool, and let me tell you, if you haven’t tried to tele-ski, well my friend, you are missing out! 😊
Likes For Chr0m0ly:
Old 05-01-23, 01:28 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 4957 Post(s)
Liked 8,099 Times in 3,833 Posts
Originally Posted by gugie
The C&V part I like best are the people. Older people, people who get my old movie references, mostly guys who aren't out to pound me into the pavement and prefer riding cooperatively rather than competitively. We wait for the slowest riders at the top of a hill, knowing it's a lot more enjoyable to share the experience rathern than "win".

We enjoy the veloship enough that many of us will do a week long tour together. Outside of myself, I met most of these people through BF C&V:
I did a nice little group ride yesterday with a handful of guys of a similar age. We rode at a fairly casual pace for a while, stopped to have coffee together, worked together in a brisk paceline, regrouped at the top of the climbs on our route, and then rolled easily along together as, one-by-one, riders peeled off to head home. It was a very enjoyable ride with people I enjoy riding and chatting with. Here's the shocking truth...Every rider in the group was on a light, modern, carbon fiber road race bike with carbon fiber wheels. Some even had electronic shifting, disc brakes, and tubeless tires.
Old 05-01-23, 01:30 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

Originally Posted by Eric F
I did a nice little group ride yesterday with a handful of guys of a similar age. We rode at a fairly casual pace for a while, stopped to have coffee together, worked together in a brisk paceline, regrouped at the top of the climbs on our route, and then rolled easily along together as, one-by-one, riders peeled off to head home. It was a very enjoyable ride with people I enjoy riding and chatting with. Here's the shocking truth...Every rider in the group was on a light, modern, carbon fiber road race bike with carbon fiber wheels. Some even had electronic shifting, disc brakes, and tubeless tires.
Hey, some of my best friends ride carbon...
Old 05-01-23, 02:30 PM
brixxton
resykler

Bikes: Bianchi Eros, Bianchi Reparto Corsa, Mongoose IBOC Campagnolo, Schwinn Super Sport, Mairag 4 Star, Canondale Criterium, Centurion Accordo RS, Specialized Hard Rock 1st Gen, Bianchi Special '81

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 39 Posts
Help the Aged

I like being able to fix things in the dark. I don't want to need batteries.
I have a sailboat built in 1976, she's perfectly capable of curcumnavigating the planet . Her hull is thick fiberglass , max speed 8knots .
The modern sailboats have underwater "wings"
that enable to reach 30 or 40knots. Will they be still sailing in 2080?
Just a comparison
Old 05-02-23, 04:35 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I did a nice little group ride yesterday with a handful of guys of a similar age.
I think that the standard reply is "pix or it didn't happen", as "fork's bent" doesn't fit well here.

Old 05-02-23, 04:47 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Bikes: 2023 Niner RLT 9 RDO, 2018 Trek Procaliber 9.9 RSL, 2018 Storck Fascenario.3 Platinum, 2003 Time VX Special Pro, 2001 Colnago VIP, 1999 Trek 9900 singlespeed, 1977 Nishiki ONP

I think that the standard reply is "pix or it didn't happen", as "fork's bent" doesn't fit well here.

For carbon fiber bike folks, that would be "it didn't happen unless it's posted on Strava". It is... https://www.strava.com/activities/8986062269

I've found that I'm way less likely to take pics on road rides than I am on MTB or gravel bike rides.
Old 05-02-23, 04:53 PM
gugie 
Bike Butcher of Portland

I've found that I'm way less likely to take pics on road rides than I am on MTB or gravel bike rides.
Clearly you're not stopping enough. Here's proper the way to do it.
Old 05-02-23, 05:01 PM
Eric F 
Habitual User

Clearly you're not stopping enough. Here's proper the way to do it.
Beer(s) after the ride, sure. Beer during the ride, not for me.

Best (for me) so far - Waffle first...

6 hour mixed-surface ride with 1800+ fine folks, and a good friend...

Beer after...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.