Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Touring
Reload this Page >

As of Nov 1 No more mail order Surly's...

Search
Notices
Touring Have a dream to ride a bike across your state, across the country, or around the world? Self-contained or fully supported? Trade ideas, adventures, and more in our bicycle touring forum.

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 12:58 PM
CCrew
Older than dirt

Bikes: Too darn many.. latest count is 11

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

QBP Put the kibosh on dealers selling complete Surly bikes via mail order effective Nov 1, 2011. Frames, parts, etc still available. No word on whether they're going to use the Salsa model now where you have to be a stocking dealer to sell their frames.

Just thought I'd throw that informative tidbit out.

"That means that to purchase a Surly complete bike, you'll need to visit a retail location and take delivery of a fully assembled, ready-to-ride bike."
Old 10-28-11, 01:18 PM
bwgride
Slow Rider

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Just got an email message from Jenson stating Surly's decision not to sell complete bikes on-line. This decision doesn't seem to make financial sense for Surly; I suppose it is meant to support local bike shops, but no doubt it will likely hurt sales.
Old 10-28-11, 01:24 PM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Surly is part of QBP and they want to keep the LBS in business. On-line sales are great and prices are good(minus shipping) but to have a good LBS to go to is sometimes worth the extra cost.
Old 10-28-11, 02:31 PM
pdlamb

Bikes: Fuji Touring, Novara Randonee

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 2604 Post(s)
Liked 1,934 Times in 1,213 Posts
So what? In my surfing, I haven't found any mail order sources that undercut Surly's MSRP. It sounds like it'll hurt the mail order houses worse than anybody else. It makes sense in a way, because Surly won't have to worry about liability or warranty claims for poorly assembled mail-order bikes; now you've got the LBS (and their insurance) in the way.
Old 10-28-11, 02:46 PM
Mithrandir

Bikes: 2012 Surly LHT, 1995 GT Outpost Trail

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Scared me. I'm getting fitted for an LHT tomorrow and I doubt the LBS will be able to order by November 1st. But I'm going with a 100% custom build to fit my riding style, so I'd be getting the frame anyway. Whew.
Old 10-28-11, 03:04 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Legally, complete bikes in a box must be assembled by a bike mechanic for the purchaser as far as i can tell from US consumer product protection laws and every bike box I've ever seen, which is 1000's of them, maybe tens of thousands.

CPSC has some standards for complete bikes..... its, you know, a safety thing. I'm not clear how Bikes Direct gets away with it, almost EVERY Bikes Direct bike i've seen has been messed up by the end consumer when they attempt to 'just put it together, how tough can it be?'

Surly not allowing complete bike mail order sales is quite commonsense, actually.

The trickledown to the LBS is quite nice too, i don't even work in a bike shop and i still think its great.

support your local. its like buying produce from your local farmers market.

Last edited by Bekologist; 10-28-11 at 06:13 PM.
Old 10-28-11, 05:52 PM
mattlavallee

Bikes: '07 Giant Talon, '08 Bike Friday Pocket Rocket 16

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Bekologist
The trickledown to the LBS is quite nice too, i don't even work in a bike shop and i still think its great.

Which is great in theory until you live in an area or a country without a good bike shop. And by that logic, should we be fine with the idea that in the future, component manufacturers will refuse to sell us tires, brakes, and handlebars online because improper installation is a liability? I'm no master mechanic, but before I was into bicycles I was doing most of the maintenance on my cars and motorcycles--bikes are quite simple, inexpensive, and enjoyable to work on in comparison. I don't doubt at all that some consumers will try to do work themselves when they shouldn't have, but in the end being stupid should hurt, and those instances should serve as a cautionary tale to all rather than a cash cow for the dumb ones.
Old 10-28-11, 06:09 PM
Bekologist
totally louche

Bikes: the ever shifting stable loaded with comfortable road bikes and city and winter bikes

well, thats not the way consumer protection safety standards work in the US (at least at the present time! ) but i feel your pain.
Old 10-28-11, 07:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
CPSC regulations:

16 CFR 1512 Regulations for Bicycles, Subpart A,
Sec. 1512.3 Requirements in general.
Any bicycle subject to the regulations in this part shall meet the requirements of this part in the condition to which it is offered for sale to consumers; any bicycle offered for sale to consumers in disassembled or partially assembled condition shall meet these requirements after assembly according to the manufacturer's instructions. For the purpose of compliance with this part, where the metric and English units are not equal due to the conversion process the less stringent requirement will prevail.
The above CPSC regulation certainly allows sale of disassembled or partially assembled bicycles by a LBS or Bikes Direct.
Old 10-28-11, 07:43 PM
rebel1916

Quoted: 67 Post(s)
Liked 83 Times in 44 Posts
Legally, complete bikes in a box must be assembled by a bike mechanic for the purchaser as far as i can tell from US consumer product protection laws and every bike box I've ever seen, which is 1000's of them, maybe tens of thousands.

CPSC has some standards for complete bikes..... its, you know, a safety thing. I'm not clear how Bikes Direct gets away with it, almost EVERY Bikes Direct bike i've seen has been messed up by the end consumer when they attempt to 'just put it together, how tough can it be?'

Surly not allowing complete bike mail order sales is quite commonsense, actually.

Pure nonsense
Old 10-28-11, 08:11 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I understand this move. QBP is doing this to keep the LBS in business. After all, how many people buy just a bike or frameset from the bike shop? If you get 'em in the shop to buy the bike or frameset, they'll likely buy something else, too. Bottle cages, bottles, cables, etc...
Old 10-28-11, 08:38 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sure... if you want to sell fewer bikes.

I probably wasn't going to buy a Surly anyway, but I'm certainly not going to drive 35 miles to the nearest dealer that sells the Long Haul Trucker (note: I said sells; they don't actually have any in stock) to place an order for one. There are closer dealers who could order one from QBP, but I suspect they'd be much more interested in selling a bike off the showroom floor and ordering would end up being a hassle.
Old 10-29-11, 01:54 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Surly Pacer, Access MTB, Ibex Corrida, one day a Simple City

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sstorkel

I probably wasn't going to buy a Surly anyway, but I'm certainly not going to drive 35 miles to the nearest dealer that sells the Long Haul Trucker (note: I said sells; they don't actually have any in stock) to place an order for one. There are closer dealers who could order one from QBP, but I suspect they'd be much more interested in selling a bike off the showroom floor and ordering would end up being a hassle.

I don't think any bike dealer is going to give you a hard time about ordering a 1200 dollar bicycle. Money is money.
Old 10-29-11, 06:23 AM
Bekologist
totally louche

without digging too deep to dispell the liberatarian aspirations of the flat earth crowd among us,

there's both CPSC safety regulations and voluntary industry standards that require most modern adult bikes to be assembled by competent bicycle mechanics.

Bikes sold partially assembled must be able to be put together by average adults......that really only leaves cheap kids bikes in nearly completed state legally being sold partially assembled.

Bikes with derailleurs and assorted torque specs for bolts are bikes that do not meet standards for self-assembly in my estimation of the average intelligence of the average adult dealing with modern bike equipment.

hence, the voluntary standards most every bona fide bike manufacturer follows in this country.

the CPSC does regulate and restrict partially assembled bike sales to those that can be assembled by average adults.

the major manufacturers follow this regulation, and have voluntary standards most bike manufacturers adhere to as well.

Fancy bikes being sold by Bikes Direct to the consumer totally work around the CPSC regulations and puts a lot of unsafe bikes on the road because, lets face it, an average adult cannot put together, tune and torque a modern adult derailleur geared bike from a box.

Bikes direct bikes arrive at bike shops in deplorable condition every day of the year. its almost an embarassing moment for the customer, they roll in with a bike assembled unsafe at any speed, and hope the shop can just 'tune it up' a little.

There's no foul in Surly prohibiting dealers from mail order sales of "a surly in a box"; it makes sense for both QBP and the consumer.

Last edited by Bekologist; 10-29-11 at 08:02 AM.
Old 10-29-11, 09:51 AM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
without digging too deep to dispell the liberatarian aspirations of the flat earth crowd among us,

there's both CPSC safety regulations and voluntary industry standards that require most modern adult bikes to be assembled by competent bicycle mechanics.

Bikes sold partially assembled must be able to be put together by average adults......that really only leaves cheap kids bikes in nearly completed state legally being sold partially assembled.

Bikes with derailleurs and assorted torque specs for bolts are bikes that do not meet standards for self-assembly in my estimation of the average intelligence of the average adult dealing with modern bike equipment.

hence, the voluntary standards most every bona fide bike manufacturer follows in this country.

the CPSC does regulate and restrict partially assembled bike sales to those that can be assembled by average adults.

the major manufacturers follow this regulation, and have voluntary standards most bike manufacturers adhere to as well.

Fancy bikes being sold by Bikes Direct to the consumer totally work around the CPSC regulations and puts a lot of unsafe bikes on the road because, lets face it, an average adult cannot put together, tune and torque a modern adult derailleur geared bike from a box.

Bikes direct bikes arrive at bike shops in deplorable condition every day of the year. its almost an embarassing moment for the customer, they roll in with a bike assembled unsafe at any speed, and hope the shop can just 'tune it up' a little.

There's no foul in Surly prohibiting dealers from mail order sales of "a surly in a box"; it makes sense for both QBP and the consumer.
While I have not bought a bike from Bikes Direct, I did buy one from Ibex, another online-only company. The bike arrived with derailleurs and brakes perfectly adjusted, wheels in true, basically ready to go. All I had to do was attach the stem, mount the front wheel, and insert the seatpost. It wasn't anything the average person couldn't handle. I'm not particularly mechanically adept. This was a fairly simple bike, however. I don't know what would be involved in setting up one of BD's high end bikes with discs and such.

The big issue I see with buying a complete bike online nowadays is getting the stem height correct. In the good old days of quill stems, it was pretty easy. If you gambled and ended up with a stem that was too short, all you did was buy a nice tall Nitto Technomic and that fixed your problem. With threadless stems, you have two options. If the company ships your bike with an uncut steer tube, you have to cut it to the proper height yourself, which is a pretty major ordeal for most people. Second option is you end up with a pre-cut steer tube that's too short, so you get an ugly(IMHO) riser stem or a stem extender. I have fit issues with most bikes, as I need my bar at seat height.

Surly's just protecting the LBS. I used to see some big bike shops who sold online were prohibited from selling certain brands online. Now REI is selling Cannondales and Raleighs on the Internet so I guess that changed.
Old 10-29-11, 12:03 PM
aroundoz
More Energy than Sense

Bikes: Co-Motion Divide

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I am a BD owner and I am more than a little surprised that they haven't been sued etc... but maybe they have and that's just the cost of doing business for them. They definitely have a loyal following and their customer service is great, speaking from personal experience. However, I think they make the bike assembly sound simpler than it really is (especially if you don't have a stand). I mean to really go over a bike thoroughly before riding. Right out of the box mine needed a new headset and I am not sure someone less experienced would have picked up on it.

Part of me thinks it's great Surly has taken this stance in support of your LBS, especially if your LBS has a mechanic who knows what they are doing. However, I have received so much bad advice and maintenance work from various LBSs, I no longer feel the least bit guilty in not [always] supporting them. I would love to have a shop in close proximity with a seasoned skilled mechanic, and fair prices. If I purchased a complete Surly from an LBS, I would still completely check it out to the point where I would have been just as well of assembling from scratch (which I enjoy anyway).
Old 10-29-11, 01:41 PM
seat_boy

Bikes: Serial bike flipper

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 74 Posts
This is my situation too. No dealer around stocks completes in my size (XL), even though I live next to a fairly big city (Columbus, OH). Sure, they'll order it, but I have to pay for it. Where's the benefit of going through the shop? This finally doesn't really affect me, since I mostly buy frames and build them up, but I think much of the country will find this frustrating.

Originally Posted by sstorkel

Old 10-29-11, 02:41 PM
YpsiBiker
Banned.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Total fail
Old 10-29-11, 03:11 PM
Terry66

Bikes: Salsa Vaya, Specialized Roubaix Team Saxo, Fisher HiFi29er

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
You know, it really never crossed my mind that you can buy Surlys complete. I have several friends with Surlys and they all built their own. Come to think of it, I am not sure I even know an LBS in the Dayton/Cincy area who carry Surly.
Old 10-29-11, 03:51 PM
Schwinnrider
Mirror slap survivor

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Terry66
You know, it really never crossed my mind that you can buy Surlys complete. I have several friends with Surlys and they all built their own. Come to think of it, I am not sure I even know an LBS in the Dayton/Cincy area who carry Surly.
Any LBS who orders from Quality Bicycle Products is a Surly dealer. They may not stock them but getting them is no big deal. Same as Civia and Salsa, I guess. When I had my Surly Pacer built, it was the first Surly my LBS had ever ordered. I do live in an unhip area though.
Old 10-29-11, 03:55 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

there's both CPSC safety regulations
Then quote the 16 CFR regulation that actually does what you claim rather than just throwing your claims in the air.
Old 10-29-11, 04:03 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

i don't even work in a bike shop
Did the LBS you worked at, close?
Old 10-29-11, 04:05 PM
campylover

Bikes: 2008 Cannondale Synapse SL with Campy Record 10sp

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Shops will not stock Surly LHT's because there is such a small touring demand. I can sell performance road bikes all day. If someone is looking for a touring bike, they usually know what they want. So what is the big deal if you know you want a LHT. Get it from a shop and get service. When you have a problem with a mail order bike, who is going to take care of you? Finding a good shop is work. If your LBS might not be the best, move on to another. By the way, I love my LHT!!!
Old 10-29-11, 06:57 PM
sstorkel

Bikes: Cervelo RS, Specialized Stumpjumper FSR Pro, Schwinn Typhoon, Nashbar touring, custom steel MTB

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Sadly, it seems you don't have a clue what you're talking about...

I have a buddy who bought a cyclocross bike from BikesDirect. It arrived in a huge box, almost completely assembled. He had to install the pedals, clamp the handlebar to the stem, place the wheels in the frame, and that was about it. Out of the box, the drivetrain was tuned just as well as any bike assembled by a minimum-wage LBS employee; no tuning of derailleurs or truing of wheels was required. We stripped the bike to the frame after he'd done a few rides, having heard all of the FUD about BikeDirect's assembly... and didn't find a single problem.

Wish I could say the same for friends who are buying bikes from local bike shops. Recently had friends buy Cannondale and Trek bikes from local shops. Both have had more problems than the guy who bought from BD... After the first ride the Cannondale had to go back to the LBS for front and rear derailleur adjustment and the Trek has been back multiple times for wheel issues.
Old 10-29-11, 07:00 PM
martianone

Bikes: recumbent & upright

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked 40 Times in 31 Posts
just like walmart et al

Just like Walmart et al ?

Just like Walmart et al

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.