Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Help Removing Bottom Bracket on Old Raleigh

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-17, 10:45 AM
papaStrudel 

Bikes: '73 Motobecane Mirage, '94 GT Karakoram, '14 Surly Pugsley

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi All,

I am in the process of breaking down and eventually restoring an old Raleigh Super Record (Circa 1978 - 1982?). Being a bike newbie I thought this would be a good project to get my hands dirty, seeing as I got the bike for free.

My question is this: I got the park tool arm crank puller to remove this bottom bracket but it didn't work. I am assuming things have changed over the past 40 years (ha!) and was wondering which crank puller I'll need?

Thanks--

I also have attached a couple photos.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
raleigh1.jpg (94.3 KB, 103 views)
File Type: jpg
raleigh2.jpg (95.9 KB, 102 views)
Old 04-26-17, 10:51 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Define "it didn't work".
did you screw the center part of the puller most of the way out? Did you screw the puller as far into the crank as you could? Did you use tools and not just hand tight?
Some times on older bikes it's tough to get the crank to come off, but they almost always do. Use wrenches to get the puller on the crank, and to turn the center part that does the work. You might have to use lots of muscle, or hit the end of the wrench with a dead blow hammer to get it off.
Old 04-26-17, 11:04 AM
papaStrudel 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@leob1, I was able to screw the crank puller all the way in. However the handle on the park tool is pretty short and it was very clear that I would need more torque to remove the BB. I supposed I just need to use more power? I also want to unscrew the left side the opposite way, correct?

Thanks for your response
Old 04-26-17, 11:05 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Crank puller is a pretty simple thing. If it screwed into the crank OK, it's the right tool. I'm fairly certain (based on the fact my dad had that bike), that it's the standard threading for a square taper crank.
Old 04-26-17, 11:07 AM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by papaStrudel
@leob1, I was able to screw the crank puller all the way in. However the handle on the park tool is pretty short and it was very clear that I would need more torque to remove the BB. I supposed I just need to use more power?
This is why I own the crank puller without the handle. I can always go look for a bigger wrench if I need more torque! BTW you're not removing the BB, you're removing the crankset. If you need to remove the BB, you'll need to remove the crank first of course.

I also want to unscrew the left side the opposite way, correct?
No, the crank threads are the same on both sides, you're thinking of pedals.
Old 04-26-17, 11:11 AM
papaStrudel 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
@dr_lha, thanks for your response! Yes, it seems like I should have invested in a crank puller without a handle. I'll just have to think of something.
Old 04-26-17, 11:15 AM
dr_lha

@dr_lha, thanks for your response! Yes, it seems like I should have invested in a crank puller without a handle. I'll just have to think of something.
I'd give it another go with the tool you have first. Make sure you're doing everything right.
Old 04-26-17, 11:20 AM
leob1

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 293 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 69 Posts
Go to your local hardware store, Lowes, Home Depot, Harbor Freight (I like them best because they are orange, easy to find in a busy shop) buy a dead blow hammer. They are plastic, but effective. Then use it to hit the handle of the crank puller. It won't break, I use one at the shop and hit it all the time. The cranks can be hard to get off if they have been on a while. A few whacks should get it off.
Old 04-26-17, 12:13 PM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Use a little penetrating oil.
You can lay the bike on its side and dribble a bit in right where you need it.
Old 04-26-17, 12:43 PM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This might be pointing out the obvious, but are you using a wrench to hold the base of the tool (the part that gets threaded into the crank arm) while you crank on the arm of the puller?
Old 04-26-17, 12:57 PM
jefnvk

Bikes: 2016 Novara Mazama

Mentioned: 63 Post(s)
Quoted: 3640 Post(s)
Liked 81 Times in 51 Posts
Originally Posted by leob1
Then use it to hit the handle of the crank puller. It won't break, I use one at the shop and hit it all the time.
I've got a brand new in packaging one from Park Tool's warranty department that says they do indeed break. Then again, they are great about replacing tools under warranty!

I like using the crank arm as leverage. Position it so one hand is on the crank puller tool, one hand on the crank arm, and they are opposite one another. Then, push down on both.

I also find it easier when the wheels are on and the bike is off the stand.
Old 04-26-17, 04:15 PM
papaStrudel 

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
This might be pointing out the obvious, but are you using a wrench to hold the base of the tool (the part that gets threaded into the crank arm) while you crank on the arm of the puller?
Not a bad question given my level of expertise! I actually did what @jefnvk mentioned above--pushing on the crank arm opposite from the crank puller tool. I think I will take the bike off the stand and see if I can get the appropriate amount of torque into it.
Old 04-26-17, 06:30 PM
bluehills3149

Bikes: depends what week it is..

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 59 Times in 47 Posts
If you have some metal pipe you can slip it over the handle for more leverage. Another way is if you have a bike repair stand (like the Park PCS9) you can disassemble it and use one of the tubes as a whopping 3 foot lever slipped over your wrench handle.
Old 04-26-17, 07:07 PM
3alarmer 
Friendship is Magic

Bikes: old ones

Mentioned: 304 Post(s)
Quoted: 26427 Post(s)
Liked 10,384 Times in 7,212 Posts
...I never attempt to pull a crank arm on a square taper crank without liberal use of some sort of penetrating oil applied both at the interior and exterior surfaces where the crank interfaces with the spindle. But I also have a puller without a handle, and the advice about getting one so you can use a longer wrench is good advice.

I detest those Park pullers with the integral handle. Not only do you lose leverage, but you can't put the lever arm exactly where you want it, like you can with a hex wrench. If you take your puller to a specialty fastener place, you can usually find a hex head bolt that is the correct threading and length (similar to the bolt now welded to the handle). You need to neck the business end down a little for cranks that attach with a bolt rather than a nut like yours. With your crank, a buck fitty bolt, and a wrench to turn it, you should be in bidness,
Old 04-26-17, 08:23 PM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Not a bad question given my level of expertise! I actually did what @jefnvk mentioned above--pushing on the crank arm opposite from the crank puller tool. I think I will take the bike off the stand and see if I can get the appropriate amount of torque into it.
I would try using a wrench on the tool itself instead of pulling on the crank arm. I've never had a problem removing the arms using that method. The first time I ever used the crank puller, I tried it without and could not get the crankset to budge at all. Now, every time I just use the wrench to hold the base while I spin the arm of the puller. They pop off super easy every time. The advantage, too, as someone else mentioned is that you can re-position the wrench for optimum leverage.