Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational)
Reload this Page >

All Steel Cyclocross Bike with 27.5 clearance?

Search
Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like : "Unbound Gravel". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-17, 09:06 PM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 160 Post(s)
Liked 97 Times in 54 Posts

What I'm asking for is something rather unorthodox: an all steel bike, slack head tube angle (< 72 Degrees), Short Chaintays (420-430mm), Slightly high BB (60-65mm drop), and clearance for Road compact cranks and 27.5 x 2.1 tires + mud.

This is very close to how my current bike is set up, however things like crank clearance and tire clearance keeps me from being fully satisfied with it. I wanted to see if there were other options available for my particular niche, although I'm prepared for there not to be.
Old 05-06-17, 04:07 AM
Kopsis

Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
https://www.curtlo.com/ -- made to your exact specifications for about a grand.
Old 05-06-17, 08:00 AM
john_mct

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Vassago fisticuff comes close, but is tight on tire clearance plus mud. I think trying to combine road chainring size and wide tire clearance is the sticking point.
Old 05-06-17, 09:16 AM
biggus duckus

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Sounds like the Soma Wolverine. It has everything you ask for except a slightly lower bottom bracket (70mm drop). I have one and it fits 2.1" tires in both 29" and 27.5" form. It may even take 2.25" tires depending on the brand. I currently have a SRAM Apex 46/36 crank on it as well as a Shimano MTB derailleur.
Old 05-06-17, 09:22 AM
DarKris

Bikes: Kona Kahuna DL Drop Bar - Sensah SRX Pro 1x11 (2012 Frame), Giant Toughroad GX 1 - Shimano Road Hydro + SLX 1x10 (2018), Diamondback Sync'r - SRAM NX 1x12 (2020)

Originally Posted by biggus duckus
Sounds like the Soma Wolverine. It has everything you ask for except a slightly lower bottom bracket (70mm drop). I have one and it fits 2.1" tires in both 29" and 27.5" form. It may even take 2.25" tires depending on the brand. I currently have a SRAM Apex 46/36 crank on it as well as a Shimano MTB derailleur.
I thought about it. Unfortunately with the amount of pedal strikes I've had when riding off-road I really want to keep my BB not too low. My current bike gets pedal strikes at that bb drop when running 170mm cranks. Can't imagine what a 175mm crank would feel like.
Old 05-06-17, 09:58 AM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by DarKris
What I'm asking for is something rather unorthodox: an all steel bike, slack head tube angle (< 72 Degrees), Short Chaintays (420-430mm), Slightly high BB (60-65mm drop), and clearance for Road compact cranks and 27.5 x 2.1 tires + mud.

This is very close to how my current bike is set up, however things like crank clearance and tire clearance keeps me from being fully satisfied with it. I wanted to see if there were other options available for my particular niche, although I'm prepared for there not to be.
It sounds like you are describing the Crust Evasion.
Old 05-06-17, 10:23 AM
DarKris

Originally Posted by VictorKnox
It sounds like you are describing the Crust Evasion.
There's only one glaring issue: it has a 73mm BB instead of a 68mm. Everything up until that was spot on but if I can't run my 50-34 Sora cranks.....
Old 05-06-17, 10:35 AM
john_mct

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
There's only one glaring issue: it has a 73mm BB instead of a 68mm. Everything up until that was spot on but if I can't run my 50-34 Sora cranks.....
And? I'm really struggling to understand the need for MTB rubber, high pedal clearance, and high road gearing...

Making frame choices around a low level road crank boggles the mind.
Old 05-06-17, 12:00 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by john_mct
And? I'm really struggling to understand the need for MTB rubber, high pedal clearance, and high road gearing...

Making frame choices around a low level road crank boggles the mind.
I mean the frame choices are based on my current bike. I will literally be transplanting the components from my current bike to the new frame. All the things that I'm asking for are quality of life improvements based on my gripes with my current frame. As for the Crank statement, it's what's on my bike and it's affordable to maintain.

There's a reason why I said that what I was asking for is unorthodox; my current bike is unorthodox.
Old 05-06-17, 12:17 PM
john_mct

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Well I did my research and see that you're coming from a Nashbar CX frame...the Vassago I mentioned up thread will have more tire clearance than your current frame, will fit the Sora crank, and matches all your other criteria. Reasonably priced as well. Good luck.
Old 05-06-17, 12:35 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by john_mct
Well I did my research and see that you're coming from a Nashbar CX frame...the Vassago I mentioned up thread will have more tire clearance than your current frame, will fit the Sora crank, and matches all your other criteria. Reasonably priced as well. Good luck.
Thanks. I've looked at that and save for the horizontal dropouts, which would probably take me a minute to sort out, I think that might be a good option to mimic my current setup to great effect.

Edit: It's not available when you click to buy..... sooo close...

Last edited by DarKris; 05-06-17 at 02:30 PM.
Old 05-07-17, 10:20 PM
Hiro11

Bikes: 2022 Specialized Allez Sprint custom build, 2019 Giant Defy Advanced Pro 0, 2018 Seven Mudhoney Pro custom build, 2017 Raleigh Stuntman, various others

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 782 Post(s)
Liked 475 Times in 238 Posts
I mean the frame choices are based on my current bike. I will literally be transplanting the components from my current bike to the new frame. All the things that I'm asking for are quality of life improvements based on my gripes with my current frame. As for the Crank statement, it's what's on my bike and it's affordable to maintain.

There's a reason why I said that what I was asking for is unorthodox; my current bike is unorthodox.
I think the point being made is that a similar level crank / bb will run you maybe an extra $100-$150. Perhaps if you find the right frame, spending a bit more to get a crank that fits isn't that big a deal. Moving away from a road crank is going to open up all sorts of options and it sounds like you're replacing the wheels anyway.
Old 05-08-17, 08:56 PM
DarKris

Originally Posted by Hiro11
I think the point being made is that a similar level crank / bb will run you maybe an extra $100-$150. Perhaps if you find the right frame, spending a bit more to get a crank that fits isn't that big a deal. Moving away from a road crank is going to open up all sorts of options and it sounds like you're replacing the wheels anyway.
I can understand that. I'm happy with my current bike setup, it's just that I'm more concerned about the longevity of my frame. The point of this post was to find a frame that I can move my current hardware to, maintain similar geometry, and not necessarily get new components.