Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic & Vintage
Reload this Page >

Help with frame ID - French with Marcarini decals

Search
Notices
Classic & Vintage This forum is to discuss the many aspects of classic and vintage bicycles, including musclebikes, lightweights, middleweights, hi-wheelers, bone-shakers, safety bikes and much more.

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-18, 05:21 PM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I picked up this bike today, and I have no idea what it is. Any help identifying the maker would be appreciated. Couldn't find any information after searching online, either here on BIke Forums or elsewhere.

The previous owner bought this bike in France where he lived before moving to Wisconsin. It has tons of "Marcarini" decals, but no frame tubing decals or anything identifying a maker. The decals are all on top of the paint, and don't appear to be applied all that well. The way they sit right next to/almost on top of the water bottle braze ons and the downtube shifter braze ons make me think they are not original. Possible re-paint? The fork says "Carlos" on either side of the crown. Not sure if it's original to the frame or not. Campagnolo dropouts, front and rear. The headtube lugs have what appear to be cutouts in the shape of France. Other lug cutouts throughout are oval shaped. Bottom bracket shell says "Roto" and "Italy" and is French threaded.

The frame is in pretty rough condition, but it appears to me well built, and was built with quality components. The France shaped lug cutouts are pretty unique. Any idea what it is?

Old 06-15-18, 06:15 PM
devinfan

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 100 Post(s)
Liked 50 Times in 27 Posts
Well I’ll be very interested to see what this turns out to be! The frame looks very well made. Never seen those lug cutouts before. The fork doesn’t seem to match the frame stylistically to me. The paint looks like a repaint to me, so I wouldn’t put too much stock in those decals. Hoping someone recognizes those cutouts!
Old 06-15-18, 11:16 PM
MauriceMoss

Bikes: None in ridable condition

Mentioned: 125 Post(s)
Quoted: 148 Post(s)
Liked 644 Times in 192 Posts
Nice frame. Not something you run across often.

The France-shaped and oval cutouts as well as the wraparound stays and other details indicate that the frame is a Cycles Gemini (Henri Depierre, Paris) product. The fork is not original.

If you remove the sticker from the seat stay caps you might find them stamped with either "GEMINI" or "DEPIERRE."

Here are some examples:

As far as I know, "Carlos" was a Belgian marque based in Maurage:

Marcarini is a shop in Hennebont, Brittany.

The frame does look repainted so it's likely that it was not a Gemini contract build done for Marcarini. I don't even know whether Dapierre did any contract builds.
Old 06-16-18, 07:39 AM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by MauriceMoss

The France-shaped and oval cutouts as well as the wraparound stays and other details indicate that the frame is a Cycles Gemini (Henri Depierre, Paris) product. The fork is not original.

If you remove the sticker from the seat stay caps you might find them stamped with either "GEMINI" or "DEPIERRE."

Here are some examples:

The frame does look repainted so it's likely that it was not a Gemini contract build done for Marcarini. I don't even know whether Dapierre did any contract builds.
Wow! Thanks so much for the information. That definitely looks like what I have. I removed the decals from the seat stay caps. Just like you predicted, they are clearly stamped "Depierre."

That info gave more fodder for googling. Evidiently Depierre was a well known frame builder in France who only built custom frames, and made frames for some pro riders, including the "Motobecane" that Luis Ocana rode in his 1973 Tour de France victory. If anyone else is interested in further reading about Depierre and Gemini, I've included links that I found below. The flickr link to Norris Lockley's page has a ton of information, if you cycle through the individual pictures and read the descriptions.

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...-depierre.html

https://www.flickr.com/photos/cyclecr...th/3313936869/

Henri Depierre bikes - Australian Cycling Forums - Bicycles Network Australia

Again, thanks so much! I wouldn't have figured this out without your help.
Old 06-16-18, 09:40 AM
unworthy1
Stop reading my posts!

Mentioned: 90 Post(s)
Quoted: 1444 Post(s)
Liked 1,064 Times in 788 Posts
Nice find and looks like a high-quality frame with some unique custom touches like those lug cutouts. The BB shell is a Roto investment-cast shell, Italian and also high-grade, did not know they made them FR-threaded but that's what you have judging by the (fuzzy) markings of the Shimano BB cup.
Thanks for sharing and Thanks to Maurice Moss for yet another stellar "case solved"!
Old 06-16-18, 11:02 AM
tiger1964 

Bikes: Drysdale/Gitane/Zeus/Masi/Falcon/Palo Alto/Raleigh/Legnano

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 987 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 407 Posts
The France-shaped
Those are so cool! On a repaint, I'd be so temped to get a tricolor themed insert in there.

Old 06-16-18, 12:43 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts

Here are some examples:

​​​​​​

-----

I dunno how he does it folks!?!?

Not only this time but every time!

-----
Old 06-17-18, 12:59 AM
Lascauxcaveman 

Bikes: A green one, "Ragleigh," or something.

Mentioned: 194 Post(s)
Quoted: 1627 Post(s)
Liked 630 Times in 356 Posts
LOL, you had me at "France-shaped-cutouts." That is the weirdest franking thing I've ever heard on this forum. And it's all true! Good lord, could you imagine Miele doing Canada-shaped cutouts? TREK doing USA-shaped cutouts? Or cutouts shaped like Wisconsin, which, come to think of it, looks sorta like France, turned sideways.

Very, very cool. mon ami.
● 1971 Grandis SL ● 1972 Lambert Grand Prix frankenbike ● 1972 Raleigh Super Course fixie ● 1973 Nishiki Semi-Pro ● 1979 Motobecane Grand Jubile ●1980 Apollo "Legnano" ● 1984 Peugeot Vagabond ● 1985 Shogun Prairie Breaker ● 1986 Merckx Super Corsa ● 1987 Schwinn Tempo ● 1988 Schwinn Voyageur ● 1989 Bottechia Team ADR replica ● 1990 Cannondale ST600 ● 1993 Technium RT600 ● 1996 Kona Lava Dome ●

Old 06-17-18, 03:47 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

+1

An just imagine if a bicycle were Chileano produced...where the heck would they put the cutout?!?! Would probably have to do it as a raised braze-on on one of the tubes...

-----