Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Search this Thread

Old 06-28-18, 05:56 PM
Bill Gem

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Rivendell Clem Smith Jr

Anyone have a Clem Smith Jr? I’m interested.

Is there anything else like it?
Old 06-30-18, 04:05 AM
ironwood

Bikes: 1984 Bridgestone 400 1985Univega nouevo sport 650b conversion 1993b'stone RBT 1985 Schwinn Tempo

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 542 Post(s)
Liked 152 Times in 100 Posts
There is a Rivendell group on Google Groups, you might ask there or on the i-Bob group.
Old 06-30-18, 08:02 AM
hillyman
WALSTIB

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 280 Post(s)
Liked 384 Times in 183 Posts
Nope. Because anything else wouldn't be a Rivendell

Old 06-30-18, 11:10 AM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Gem
Anyone have a Clem Smith Jr? I’m interested.

Is there anything else like it?
My wife has a Clem L, the step through version. I have an Appaloosa, which is similar in function and geometry.

No, in my opinion, there is nothing like it. (Outside of some of Rivendell's other models, anyway.) The long top tube, super long chain stays, and huge tire clearance set it apart. The Rivendells with the long chain stays have a very stable, smooth, comfortable ride. The Clem has tons of braze ons for any type of rack and fender configurations you could dream of. If you want a useful, comfortable bike for commuting, touring, shopping, or just riding around, I really don't think you could go wrong with a Clem. The fit and finish of the Clem is really amazing as well. Furthermore, as a company, you could not ask for a better group of people to deal with. If you have any questions, definitely call Rivendell HQ. They are always happy to help and super friendly.

One important note: Due to the long top tube, you are pretty much locked in to swept back type bars. The bike isn't really meant for drop bars. If that's not a problem, then the Clem should work great.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm gushing, but I love my Rivs (I also have a Sam Hillborne). They are comfortable, useful, beautiful bikes, and there really is nothing like them out there.
Old 06-30-18, 01:49 PM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
My wife has a Clem L, the step through version. I have an Appaloosa, which is similar in function and geometry.

No, in my opinion, there is nothing like it. (Outside of some of Rivendell's other models, anyway.) The long top tube, super long chain stays, and huge tire clearance set it apart. The Rivendells with the long chain stays have a very stable, smooth, comfortable ride. The Clem has tons of braze ons for any type of rack and fender configurations you could dream of. If you want a useful, comfortable bike for commuting, touring, shopping, or just riding around, I really don't think you could go wrong with a Clem. The fit and finish of the Clem is really amazing as well. Furthermore, as a company, you could not ask for a better group of people to deal with. If you have any questions, definitely call Rivendell HQ. They are always happy to help and super friendly.

One important note: Due to the long top tube, you are pretty much locked in to swept back type bars. The bike isn't really meant for drop bars. If that's not a problem, then the Clem should work great.

Sorry if it sounds like I'm gushing, but I love my Rivs (I also have a Sam Hillborne). They are comfortable, useful, beautiful bikes, and there really is nothing like them out there.
Thanks. The swept back bars are not a problem, in fact that’s part of their appeal to me. I prefer to ride in an upright position. Every other bike company seems to assume that everyone wants to be bent over like a racer unless you’re buying a cruiser. I’d like a robust bike but built for upright riding.

My arms are short relative to my height. (Think T Rex. LOL.) will the long TT be a problem, or will the swept back bars take care of that?

Greatly appreciate your comment.
Old 06-30-18, 01:50 PM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ironwood
There is a Rivendell group on Google Groups, you might ask there or on the i-Bob group.
Thanks. I didn’t know, but now I’ll check it out.
Old 06-30-18, 02:37 PM
VictorKnox

Bikes: Rivendell Appaloosa, Rivendell Sam Hillborne, Surly Pugsley, Surly Big Dummy

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Bill Gem

Thanks. The swept back bars are not a problem, in fact that’s part of their appeal to me. I prefer to ride in an upright position. Every other bike company seems to assume that everyone wants to be bent over like a racer unless you’re buying a cruiser. I’d like a robust bike but built for upright riding.

My arms are short relative to my height. (Think T Rex. LOL.) will the long TT be a problem, or will the swept back bars take care of that?

Greatly appreciate your comment.
It sounds like the Clem is exactly what you're looking for - "a robust bike built for upright riding."

No, the long top tube shouldn't be a problem. Some of the bars that Riv has come WAY back, like the Bosco and their new Billie bar. I have the Boscos on my Appaloosa, which also has a longer top tube, and find them to be super comfortable.
Old 07-01-18, 07:11 AM
Bill Gem

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by VictorKnox
It sounds like the Clem is exactly what you're looking for - "a robust bike built for upright riding."

No, the long top tube shouldn't be a problem. Some of the bars that Riv has come WAY back, like the Bosco and their new Billie bar. I have the Boscos on my Appaloosa, which also has a longer top tube, and find them to be super comfortable.
Victor, again your advice is much appreciated. Enjoy your rides!

At a minimum, I think I’ll put a Bosco bar on one of my other bikes.

Last edited by Bill Gem; 07-01-18 at 08:48 AM.