Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

Adaptive bikes for older kids

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-11, 12:43 PM
sggmom62

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need to know if it is possible to put training type wheels on a regular road bike for my 13 yo son. He is mildly Autistic and has Sensory Integration dysfunction. His balance is just not quite there to be able to ride a 2 wheeler and he really wants to ride with Mom and his sisters. Any suggestions would be helpful! I have looked at trikes and they are way out of my price range
Kathy R
Old 03-02-11, 01:04 PM
B. Carfree

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 509 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 8 Posts
I have three alternative ideas. You might try a blast from the past, two hundred years in the past, that is. The original "bike", the velocipede, had no pedals. The seat was low enough that both feet could reach the ground. If you remove the cranks from a bike that is just a bit too small, your son could use it like a velocipede. Ten mph is about the upper limit for speed, but that is still quite a bit faster than walking.

My second idea depends on where you live or what resources you have available. A friend of mine in Davis, CA uses discarded bikes to create various rolling contraptions, many of which are quite fun to ride. He has made quite a few custom rides for disabled people because he doesn't charge an arm and a leg. One of his more popular designs is a two wheel in front trike, either a single or a tandem. He sells most of what he makes quite cheaply, usually around $300. These aren't highly engineered, light-weight, polished Bike Fridays, they are created from discarded bikes and often look a bit battered, but the price is right. If that interests you, his name is Peter Wagner. If you google whymcycles you can find some of the things he makes. I can give you contact information if you like.

Last, but not least, look for a used tandem. If he isn't too large to be stoker, he may enjoy that. Good luck finding what works for your son.
Old 03-02-11, 02:40 PM
Consularrider

Bikes: Surly Pugsley, Jamis Renegade, Kona Rove, Salsa Pistola, Raleigh M60, Raleigh Sport Touring Team USA

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We used Fat Wheels for our 8 year old son's 20" bike. According to the website ( https://www.fatwheels.com/products.html ) they have wheels that work with full size bikes, not cheap, but less than many trikes. There are also less expensive adult trikes ( https://www.walmart.com/ip/Schwinn-Me...icycle/5679542 )
Old 03-02-11, 03:01 PM
crhilton

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
An old tandem would also be an idea, if you can find one in your price range.
Old 03-02-11, 03:19 PM
dougmc

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro, Strada

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Adult trikes don't have to be expensive. I remember seeing a fairly inexpensive one at Autozone (yes, I know) for like $150. It was a department store bike with department store quality, but it seemed acceptable.

Craigslist has quite a few of them as well.
Old 03-02-11, 03:25 PM
CB HI
Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
Don't give up on the adult trike idea just yet.

Check your area for bicycle coops that may have the expertise to build a trike out of parts, see if a local bike shop might be willing to get you one for cost, check cycling clubs in the area for a possible fund raising event.

If you do set up a fund raising account, do post the details here or work with admin, as many BF members have been willing to help is such causes.

Honolulu had an adult cyclist in the same situation that a local shop supported with an adult trike and all maintenance. Many local cyclist dropped a little bit in the fundraising jar in the shop as well.
Old 03-02-11, 03:40 PM
DnvrFox
Banned.

Liked 12 Times in 10 Posts
My son, Andy (43 years old), rides a 3 wheeler - now available from WalMart - about $350. (Worksman) or from worksman's website. Also, Craigslist always has a couple adult 3 wheelers for various prices.
Old 03-03-11, 01:17 PM
Tem

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by sggmom62
His balance is just not quite there to be able to ride a 2 wheeler and he really wants to ride with Mom and his sisters.
(underlining is mine)

Kathy,

If you think that your son will eventually develop enough balance to ride a two wheeler, then B. Carfree's first suggestion may be the best. He's talking about a balance bike. Many parents of younger children use these as a first bike so their children can learn balance first without having to learn to pedal and balance at the same time. You can buy an actual "balance bike," although I'm not sure if they come large enough for a 13 year old, but, as B. Carfree suggested, you can just create one by taking the cranks off of a regular two wheeler.

Once your son has learned to balance, you can put the cranks back on without incurring the additional cost of a specialized bike or a second bike.

PS: Check out the Recreational and Family Forum. There are several posters there who ride with their autistic children.

Last edited by Tem; 03-03-11 at 01:29 PM.
Old 03-07-11, 10:23 AM
MsDing

Bikes: WorkCycles Omafiets, Trek MTB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Adaptive Bike Options

You've got a lot of options actually.

I'm new to this forum, so I hope it's ok if I mention that I have a adaptive bike resource page on my blog (where I have no advertising and don't sell anything) that has pictures of these types of bike as well as links to the manufacturers. I've not been able to review/ride a Worksmen trike yet, but would love to find one or talk to someone who has as we may move to one of those as our boy grows older. If you have one and have thoughts on it, I would love to hear about it.
          Old 03-07-11, 01:28 PM
          RobertHurst

Liked 12 Times in 12 Posts
          Originally Posted by sggmom62
          I need to know if it is possible to put training type wheels on a regular road bike for my 13 yo son. He is mildly Autistic and has Sensory Integration dysfunction. His balance is just not quite there to be able to ride a 2 wheeler and he really wants to ride with Mom and his sisters. Any suggestions would be helpful! I have looked at trikes and they are way out of my price range
          Kathy R
          Hi Kathy. You might reach out to these good folks:

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Assist...rs/41527571886

Tons of know-how and ideas there. The founder has an autistic son and the organization was started from his efforts to get him on wheels.
          Old 03-07-11, 11:13 PM
          MsDing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
          and thank you bike forums moderator for letting me know I can post a link to my resources page:

https://dingdingletsride.com/adaptive-bikes/

and we did purchase an adaptive bike from The Bike Rack/Creative Mobility.
          Old 03-07-11, 11:35 PM
          CB HI
          Cycle Year Round

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
          Quoted: 1316 Post(s)
          Liked 92 Times in 59 Posts
          Originally Posted by MsDing
          https://dingdingletsride.com/adaptive-bikes/

and we did purchase an adaptive bike from The Bike Rack/Creative Mobility.
          Very nicely done.
          Old 03-10-11, 10:14 AM
          geo8rge

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
          Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
          Training wheels would work, and you can raise them so he is balancing but using the training wheels as a safety. But the best solution is for him to practice on a bike until he can balance. You might consider a 'mini bicycle'. They look like clown bikes but he might be able to ride it normally and if so a bit of practice he can move up to smaller wheeled 16" or 20" bikes. Those little bikes can also go quite fast. You might also see if an individual in your area teaches kids how to ride bikes. Sometimes it pays to call an expert.

Example of a mini bike.
          https://www.amazon.com/Kent-Mini-8-Fo.../dp/B002VDVKZ8

The only mini bike I have ridden I fished out of the garbage. It was fun until it broke down. I am 6' 200lbs so it did not take too long.
          Old 04-11-11, 10:46 PM
          MsDing

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
          Thanks!
          Old 04-13-11, 09:30 PM
          dedhed
          SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
          Quoted: 2747 Post(s)
          Liked 3,401 Times in 2,058 Posts
          Here's a progrsm they have locally in Milwaukee
          Attached Files