Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Advocacy & Safety
Reload this Page >

We are the minority--those who regularly ride bikes.

Search
Notices
Advocacy & Safety Cyclists should expect and demand safe accommodation on every public road, just as do all other users. Discuss your bicycle advocacy and safety concerns here.

We are the minority--those who regularly ride bikes.

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-17, 08:10 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
In my area at least, concerns about traffic are, IMO, completely overblown. I've been riding for about 14 years now, some years daily and others 1-3 times a week, typically 100 miles a week, and I have yet to have what I would consider a scary encounter with a car. I occasionally get an idiot, but they're easily handled.
Old 09-22-17, 08:23 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by Daves_Not_Here
If you doubt cyclists are held in low esteem, just review the Comments thread of any online mainstream news article involving cyclists. Often, the majority of the comments are disparaging of cyclists.

Now, whether the image is fair, or if we can or want to do anything about it is a whole other discussion. But if we are truly interested in understanding why ridership is low, we probably should understand how we are perceived by the general public
Neanderthals always hold minorities in low esteem. You'll have to wait until cyclists are a majority before the neanderthals like you.
Old 09-22-17, 08:24 AM
gregf83 

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 1186 Post(s)
Liked 289 Times in 177 Posts
Originally Posted by squirtdad
I firmly believe the segregated infrastructure is a red herring with more issues than it solves. the problem with it is that a) it caters to the inexperienced and is inflexible. b) it will never cover every street.....it does not make a lot of difference if people do not want to ride from their house to where they connect to segregated infrastructure.
It works in Europe and it works over here when cities are committed to adding more infrastructure.
Old 09-23-17, 05:14 AM
billyymc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 286 Post(s)
Liked 125 Times in 58 Posts
Originally Posted by billyymc
At my workplace a handful of 20 something employees got enthusiastic about starting up an "outdoor" club. They had a big kickoff event, got management to support it as a recognized group at work, etc.

But since the kickoff event barely anything has happened. There were supposed to be weekly MTB and Road rides, but hardly anyone shows up. Sometimes just the ride leader. Or they just don't get scheduled at all.

There was a subset of people who expressed interest in being on the distribution list for rides. This week I volunteered to lead a ride. The ride is tomorrow, and I'm betting nobody will show.

People say they do, or want to do, all kinds of things. But when it comes to actually doing them, they don't.
So I was right - nobody else showed up to do this ride. It was a great ride too. 54 miles with about 2k feet of easy climbing, and with some smooth secluded dirt roads toward the end. It was kind of flat / climb over a ridge / flat / climb back over the ridge.

Another factor that I think keeps people off bikes is that cycling doesn't present an image of power - at least in the US.
Old 09-23-17, 03:07 PM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
“Lazy” people walking, running, swimming and biking this morning in Chicago.

I’m guessing the wet runners in swimsuits were swimming before running.

Wonder why so many of these people don’t ride on the roads in Chicago?

Must be because they are “lazy.”

-mr. bill
Old 09-23-17, 04:30 PM
CliffordK

Mentioned: 217 Post(s)
Quoted: 18398 Post(s)
Liked 4,525 Times in 3,361 Posts
And the answer to too much traffic....

RIDE BIKES MORE!!!
Old 09-23-17, 04:58 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Mentioned: 62 Post(s)
Quoted: 1571 Post(s)
Liked 12 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by elocs
........ improve the bicycle infrastructure to make it more safe for everybody to ride. That will give a safe alternative to the millions who would otherwise ride their bikes but have no desire to risk their safety riding in traffic.
Infrastructure (bike paths) are great... I am not against them. But lack of cycling infrastructure isn't why cycling isn't more popular.

Golf courses are closing everywhere... as golf loses popularity. Bowling alleys are closing their doors also. Both actives provided their own infrastructure. Cycling, golf, bowling are all "participant sports". What about "spectator sports"? The spectator audience is slowly dwindling also.

It's been 15 years since I've played golf. I can't remember the last time I even watched a baseball game on TV. I played a game of ******** maybe 8-10 years ago. I haven't thrown a softball... in 3 decades.

Sports (and it really is sports in general that has a popularity problem) used to be called the "opiate of the working class". It's interesting... that as the working class dwindles... so does sports.
Old 09-23-17, 05:55 PM
CliffordK

Bike popularity jumps whenever gas availability drops.

Increase gas prices. Ration gas. Long lines to get a few drops of gas... And bike popularity will rise.
Old 09-23-17, 11:30 PM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Bikes: Specialized Roubaix Elite

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Dave Cutter
Sports (and it really is sports in general that has a popularity problem) used to be called the "opiate of the working class". It's interesting... that as the working class dwindles... so does sports.
Very interesting hypothesis. 30 years ago, people complained how the John Muir Trail was overcrowded with hikers. I just spoke to friends who spent 10 days hiking a major segment this summer and they only saw one other party the entire time. I'm curious if the Appalachian Trail is similarly vacant.
Old 09-24-17, 12:25 AM
CliffordK

Very interesting hypothesis. 30 years ago, people complained how the John Muir Trail was overcrowded with hikers. I just spoke to friends who spent 10 days hiking a major segment this summer and they only saw one other party the entire time. I'm curious if the Appalachian Trail is similarly vacant.
Open it up to bikes if there aren't enough trail users

Around here, they talk about the Pacific Crest Trail being over-crowded, especially with "through-hikers" from the south to the North, and they regulate the days they can start the trek on.

I presume there are a few rivers that still require permits and lotteries for boating including the Rogue and Colorado.

It has been a few decades since I've done off-trail hiking in Idaho. It would be interesting to see how things have changed. But 30+ years ago, we'd be off-trail for a week, and perhaps see one other group of hikers/campers.

Certainly gear has changed over the years, and stores like REI are still doing booming business.
Old 09-24-17, 11:13 AM
Recumbomatic

Bikes: 2005 Performer Toscana, RANS V3 steel, RANS Citi, Kona Hoo-Ha

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
We may be in the minority, but nevertheless there are some remarkable people riding bicycles. Just think of all the college students, professionals, and techies who have a deep connection to their bikes. I would argue that many cyclists represent the best of humanity (at least in the U.S., where cycling is still largely a fringe activity). Which, sadly, makes it all the more tragic when some POS in a motor vehicle kills someone on a bicycle.
Old 09-24-17, 12:39 PM
KD5NRH

Bikes: 2010 Trek 7100

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 697 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I played a game of ******** maybe 8-10 years ago.
?

Funny; it's not the "working class" level bikes that I see out and around a lot. $300-500 bikes tend to be gathering dust in the garages of people who could afford much better but didn't go buy a Cannondale because they knew they wouldn't ride it that much. On my S24O this weekend, I was on the already marked route where the Paluxy Pedal will run next weekend, visited a state park and followed a couple miles of the only randonee route I'm aware of in the area. Not once did I see another bike in the price category of my 7100. I doubt I'll go to the PP, but if it's like most of the other races in the area, there will be some WalMart bikes doing the short courses, maybe a half dozen $500 Trek or Specialized hybrids with riders who just want to be able to say they finished a century race, and dozens of high end bikes brought in on luxury SUVs, plus maybe 3-5 serious riders with sponsorships.

What I did see was >$1500 bikes, with riders who don't look like they saved up for months to fit that in the budget, nor did it appear to be a primary lifestyle item. (No cyclist tan, so they're not likely the sort who get out and do a 100 mile training ride every weekend.) More like folks who can afford to buy a $2500+ bike just to play around on when the weather is nice.

Really, television and internet has become the opiate of the working class; how often do you hear "I don't have time to _____" from someone who can quote every GoT episode or give the highlights of every football game played by 2-3 teams?
Old 09-24-17, 02:19 PM
coominya

Bikes: Giant ToughRoad Giant talon

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 705 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 1 Post
Originally Posted by jefnvk
Why don't I ride regularly (even if I am already in the minority of those who do)?

Has nothing to do with bike infrastructure. The only way for me to significantly increase my riding time would be to either give up other hobbies, or commute.
Cycling is like pot, on the weekend, sure, but you get into it everyday and you'll eventually lose the plot
Old 09-24-17, 05:09 PM
Dave Cutter

Bikes: '17 Access Old Turnpike Gravel bike, '14 Trek 1.1, '13 Cannondale CAAD 10, '98 CAD 2, R300

Very interesting hypothesis......
I barely touched on my actual theory.... which is all data driven. Following 9-11 (the actual date of the terror attacks 11 sept 2001)... there was an actual change in the behavior of Americans.

Restaurants suffered because people stayed away. Mall's had less shoppers. Sporting events had considerably more empty seats. I can't say I know why.

But people did NOT become lazy overnight.

We've had one increase in cycling [event] since then (cycling's popularity has always risen and fell). So cycling hasn't been any more effected... than any other sport. Heck.... the spinning class craze was created during this period.

But Americans have become more inwards. They tend to stay home more... participate outside the home less.
Old 09-24-17, 05:51 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Heck.... the spinning class craze was created during this period.
And how does that help cycling? These are already the sort of people who will circle the parking lot 4-5 times looking for a close-in space at the gym to go use the treadmill. If they were willing to get on a real bike that's where they'd be in the first place.
Old 09-24-17, 06:53 PM
rossiny

Bikes: Trek 970, Bianchi Volpe,Casati

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 359 Post(s)
Liked 122 Times in 87 Posts
Steroids

Infrastructure (bike paths) are great... I am not against them. But lack of cycling infrastructure isn't why cycling isn't more popular.

Golf courses are closing everywhere... as golf loses popularity. Bowling alleys are closing their doors also. Both actives provided their own infrastructure. Cycling, golf, bowling are all "participant sports". What about "spectator sports"? The spectator audience is slowly dwindling also.

It's been 15 years since I've played golf. I can't remember the last time I even watched a baseball game on TV. I played a game of ******** maybe 8-10 years ago. I haven't thrown a softball... in 3 decades.

Considering it has been proven that almost all pro sports players have to do performance enhancing drugs ...why would any one watch sports. That is all sports in order to compete u have to do drugs.. Football, basketball, track , pro cycling etc. Frankly I almost never watch sports any more. Better to go out in your back yard and play bocci ball then watch steroid , drug users bashing the helmets ...
Old 09-25-17, 12:10 AM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I barely touched on my actual theory....

But Americans have become more inwards. They tend to stay home more... participate outside the home less.
Agreed. Lot of layers to this discussion. See the following article that talks about how our increasing diversity is associated with lower civic engagement and social cohesion.

The downside of diversity - The Boston Globe

Also, while our overall crime-rate is at a historic low, it seems anxiety about crime is high and leads to reclusive behavior.
Old 09-25-17, 12:49 AM
SHBR
C*pt*i* Obvious

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 596 Post(s)
Liked 53 Times in 44 Posts
Fabian style social engineering.

Don't forget about the I-gadget craze and all of the entitlement that it has created.

Its quite amazing that people trust what they read online more than firsthand information.

Back to the original topic:

Weather and potential injury risk often is a deciding factor in my own riding preferences, and almost everyone that rides, or thinks of riding a bicycle.

We have had 72 hours+ of essentially downpour conditions recently, local stores are out of stock, no deliveries, its a bit odd to see.

Last edited by SHBR; 09-25-17 at 01:44 AM.
Old 09-25-17, 01:11 AM
Daves_Not_Here
On your right

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsJustMe
In my area at least, concerns about traffic are, IMO, completely overblown. I've been riding for about 14 years now, some years daily and others 1-3 times a week, typically 100 miles a week, and I have yet to have what I would consider a scary encounter with a car. I occasionally get an idiot, but they're easily handled.
You have expressed a perfectly reasonable and mature perspective. I'm sorry, but such a view is inconsistent with the self-image of cyclists as perpetually victimized children. Don't let it happen again.
Old 09-25-17, 05:07 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
And how does that help cycling? ........ If they were willing to get on a real bike that's where they'd be in the first place.
Spinning [classes] doesn't help cycling! Spinning is just a currently trendy way for gym rats to work out. Nothing wrong with going to the gym.... I go myself. But no benefit for cycling or cyclists.

Honestly.... I don't have a plan to help cycling. I've taught 2 granddaughters to ride bikes. And I've donated a little to the local bike co-op. I buy more than my fair share of cycling stuff from the LBS (including a new trendy Gravel Grinder) too.

But I think the downward sports trend.... is bigger than cycling. And where I think I can spot the trend... I have no idea of a solution.
Old 09-25-17, 10:09 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
But I think the downward sports trend.... is bigger than cycling. And where I think I can spot the trend... I have no idea of a solution.
Apparently laziness has become such a national pastime that even the death penalty via obesity related issues won't get a lot of them off their butts.
Old 09-25-17, 10:31 PM
Dave Cutter

Originally Posted by KD5NRH
Apparently laziness has become such a national pastime that even the death penalty via obesity related issues won't get a lot of them off their butts.
I am not sold on the idea of "laziness". People (lucky enough to have jobs) are statically working more hours and taking less time off for vacation and personal reasons. Both my doctor and my dentist have early morning hours.... because patents insist on visits that don't interfere with their work hours.

Meanwhile.... people are watching less sports (including golf) on TV. I'd think if lazy was the issue... what could be lazier laying on the couch watching golf?

American's seem to be losing interest in sports.... spectator as well as participant. As well as OTHER social events unrelated to actual exercise. People are going out to dinner less, watching less theater and movies, and even bars are suffering a loss of customers.

I know the shift to on-line activity has been with us for decades and it (along with streaming) may carry some of the blame for a cultural change. But I have to believe there is more to it than people on social media, playing video games, and watching Hulu and Netflix.
Old 09-25-17, 11:43 PM
KD5NRH

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
I am not sold on the idea of "laziness". People (lucky enough to have jobs) are statically working more hours and taking less time off for vacation and personal reasons. Both my doctor and my dentist have early morning hours.... because patents insist on visits that don't interfere with their work hours.
Jobs pay every couple of weeks. Exercise takes months to pay off.

Meanwhile.... people are watching less sports (including golf) on TV. I'd think if lazy was the issue... what could be lazier laying on the couch watching golf?
Laying on the couch watching mindless drivel. Even golf includes strategy that one might accidentally think about.

I know the shift to on-line activity has been with us for decades and it (along with streaming) may carry some of the blame for a cultural change. But I have to believe there is more to it than people on social media, playing video games, and watching Hulu and Netflix.
Well, you're sitting in front of a computer playing on social media right now. Look at how many people can't even stand to be off Facebook long enough to order at McDonalds. You think they're interested in a sport where they might not be able to check their notifications for a couple hours?
Old 09-26-17, 05:36 AM
mr_bill

Mentioned: 34 Post(s)
Quoted: 2112 Post(s)
Liked 663 Times in 443 Posts
Again, can someone explain to me how:
  • HUNDREDS of people running,
  • DOZENS of people swimming,
  • DOZENS of people walking,
  • a few wet people running,
  • a few people on bicycles,
  • and one random person on an electric skateboard
are "LAZY."

Out of ALL those "LAZY" people, only a few are comfortable riding bicycles on roads. WHY?
(Out of all those "LAZY" people, only a few are comfortable running on roads. Why?)

You can either ask them and BELIEVE their answers, or continue to live in your make stuff up worlds.

Meanwhile, in the real United States of America....

-mr. bill

Last edited by mr_bill; 09-26-17 at 05:50 AM.
Old 09-26-17, 06:41 AM
Coasterbrakefan

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Unless you live in the city, there is no reason to ride your bike except for recreation. The percentage of people that can ride from there suburban home to there job is very small. So why do some people who live in the city take the car instead of a bike?

Business.

Just look at the color of people's cars. Black, grey, white, etc. business.

People are told to always have there business face on. If you drive a sky blue Beetle, you can't be taken seriously.

They're told to always be producing. Always be running the rat race. All work, no play makes average guy unhappy and "big gov" happy.

Womb to tomb!

Also, if there are any of you on here that have not read (Bike snob NYC)'s "the enlightened cyclist", stop what your doing and buy it on Amazon right now. And if there are any of you on here who have already read his book, then I suggest you revisit it.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.