Search
Notices
Mountain Biking Mountain biking is one of the fastest growing sports in the world. Check out this forum to discuss the latest tips, tricks, gear and equipment in the world of mountain biking.

Curious

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-06, 04:25 PM
amyatwku

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey sorry to intrude but I am a student at Western Kentucky University and I am doing research about the mountain bike market bascially. What I wanted to know, and since you all are the professionals is what do you think makes mountain bikers different from road bikers? Is there a difference? And also, about home much you would say an enthusiast or particpant may spend on the sport? I know this is annoying, but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!
Old 02-13-06, 04:47 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
I don't know that there is that much of a difference. A good percentage of mountain bikers are also roadies. It isn't the bike that defines the person, it is the attitude.

As far as how much a person may spend that is a never ending figure. On top of that it is completely different for everyone. A lot of riders have $300 bikes and they are very happy with them. Other's prefer (or can justify) more expensive bikes. Just because I ride a $6,000 mountain bike and Joe biker rides a $300 mountain bike doesn't mean that I enjoy riding any more than he does.

If you have to have figures though, here are a few of mine.
Mountain bike #1 - $5,500
Mountain bike #2 - $4,500
Road bike #1 - $6,800
Road bike #2 - $1,600
Old 02-13-06, 05:15 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Bikes: Blur LT

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, from what Ive seen in this area(WNC) road bikers are a bunch of snobbish sissys who have this attitude thing going on. They ride lightweight high dollar bikes and and tend to look down their noses at someone on a lower end bike. The MTNbikers are a more laid back group. As long as your out riding and having fun it's all good.You can always run into a jerk here and there but the MTN guys seem to have more fun with it. The roadie attitude is a big reason I sold my road bike and now I only ride the dirt. This will more than likely start a war of some kind.

Last edited by mtnbiker66; 02-14-06 at 05:26 AM.
Old 02-13-06, 05:38 PM
DylanTremblay
...is my hero!

Bikes: 2008 Kink Whip, 2006 Specialized Enduro, 2006 Norco Wolverine, 2006 Iron Horse FsZ

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
mtnbiker66 pretty much summed up the difference between mountain bikers and roadies...and I personaly have spent about $1100 CND on my bike (that includes the bike, assesories, and upgrades). Its hard to give an exact amount that most people spend in this sport because of the verity of bikes and prices.
Old 02-13-06, 05:39 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Originally Posted by mtnbiker66
This will more than likely start a war of some kind.
Oh well, it had to be said by someone. I really depends on your local scene though. I tend to ride with people who ride all kinds of styles so It is pretty mellow 'round here either mountain or road. But, if I had to choose a side, I would say that roadies do tend to be more snobby sort.

As far as costs go..............it's weird because you wouldn't think so starting off and the casual observer has no idea....but sh1t is mad 'spensive

When you first start off in the sport, you are shocked to learn that 500-1000 is the 'low end' range to get a quality bike. Then, after a season or two, spending $500-$1000 on a front fork or wheelset seems normal.
Old 02-13-06, 05:47 PM
Taerom
Hazardous

Bikes: 2005 Trek Liquid 55, 2009 Haro Mary SS

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unsuspended
When you first start off in the sport, you are shocked to learn that 500-1000 is the 'low end' range to get a quality bike. Then, after a season or two, spending $500-$1000 on a front fork or wheelset seems normal.
Haha, that is so true. Last summer, I bought a $700 bike. I thought that was a pretty pimpin' bike at the time (my previous bike was a Huffy ). After just a few months, as my skills improved, I started to outgrow the thing. This summer, I'm thinking about buying a $1700 bike. I'm sure that in another year or two, I'll be layin' down a few grand on a bike.

Last edited by Taerom; 02-13-06 at 05:53 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 05:50 PM
Taerom
Hazardous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
As far as the road biker vs. mountain biker subject, in my area, there isn't really a huge road biking scene, so I won't make a judgement about them. The mountain bikers definately are a pretty relaxed group though...always friendly and always courteous on the trails.

Last edited by Taerom; 02-13-06 at 06:01 PM.
Old 02-13-06, 06:00 PM
Taerom
Hazardous

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amyatwku
...and since you all are the professionals...
Professional whats?
Old 02-13-06, 11:29 PM
Pink_Ninja
Mullet Boy!

Bikes: a giant upland 03, old europia road bike or something and soon to be getting a Norco Bigfoot or something of the sort

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by unsuspended
I agree. I got a $400 bike and thought it was awesome (I was 10 or 11) and now when I go to the bikeshop and ask how much for a basic downhiller my dad had a heart-attack to learn between $2000 to anything higher...
Old 02-14-06, 08:01 AM
junkyard
Fourth Degree Legend

Bikes: 2005 Kona Cinder Cone & 2010 Cannondale SuperSix

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by amyatwku
Hey sorry to intrude but I am a student at Western Kentucky University and I am doing research about the mountain bike market bascially. What I wanted to know, and since you all are the professionals is what do you think makes mountain bikers different from road bikers? Is there a difference? And also, about home much you would say an enthusiast or particpant may spend on the sport? I know this is annoying, but I would really appreciate your input. Thanks!
It's definitely a tough comparison to make because it seems that the intent behind why each group rides is varied. But, I'll give my two cents because I was in a marketing class not to long ago and know it can be tough to get people to respond. I've never been a road biker, but do have a close friend who is. When he goes on a road ride, it seems to be about being in a large pack, getting the heart rate up and cranking out a 50+ mile ride. When he and I go out on some trails, it's not necessarily about the same things. Sure, we're doing something good for ourselves, but sometimes it's just about the quality of the ride... getting over an obstacle you never could before, hauling down a rough downhill or possibly making it to the top of a difficult climb. Not to mention, the trash talk between riding buddies. I won't comment on the attitudes of road bikers vs. mountain bikers. I think that making a gross generalization about that can be dangerous. I will say, that all of the mountain bikers I've spoken with prior to entering the sport and since I've been a part have all been helpful, friendly and supportive.

Like Lowcel said, the money varies drastically based on your budget, style of riding, components, etc. I spent $850 on a hardtail getting into the sport. I'm still quite new to the sport, so that continues to be my only bike. However, the sport does draw you in. Next thing you know you are buying clothes to ride in, new rack to put it on your car, shoes, components, and even looking at the next level bike you want to purchase. It's certainly not an inexpensive sport to join, but as I've found, the initial costs are well worth the end result.
Old 02-14-06, 09:44 AM
misteralz
Fat Bird Enthusiast

Location: Scotland, which is not, and never has been in England...

Bikes: '01 Zaskar with a mish-mash o' bits

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well, from what Ive seen in this area(WNC) road bikers are a bunch of snobbish sissys who have this attitude thing going on. They ride lightweight high dollar bikes and and tend to look down their noses at someone on a lower end bike. The MTNbikers are a more laid back group. As long as your out riding and having fun it's all good.You can always run into a jerk here and there but the MTN guys seem to have more fun with it. The roadie attitude is a big reason I sold my road bike and now I only ride the dirt. This will more than likely start a war of some kind.
What he said.
Old 02-14-06, 09:57 AM
Drunken Chicken

Bikes: Check signature

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by misteralz
What he said.
Yep.
I seem to find that MTBers are more laid back and don't always go out there to train or to ride hard but to have fun (remember, I'm not saying EVERY roadie is snobbish, just the majority of those around here).
I spent 425 euros on purchasing a Hardrock Sport, now with 600 or so euros of upgrades into it. If we add the cost of gear and the like, we come out to about 1200euros?

Old 02-14-06, 02:52 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
road bikers are a bunch of snobbish sissys who have this attitude thing going on.
Anybody else notice the irony here?

To the OP: I ride both. Which one depends on my mood or my fitness goals for that day. I think geography plays a big part in who rides what more often. I personally spend more time on my road bikes because of the very limited number of offroad trails where I live. With my road bike, I can walk out my front door and get a ride in before work. A mountain bike ride requires drive time (sometimes a couple hours).

As for what I spend on cycling... I won't indulge that information, for fear it will someday get back to my wife. Happy Valentine's Day everyone.

Old 02-14-06, 03:26 PM
LowCel 
Throw the stick!!!!

Bikes: GMC Denali

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked 92 Times in 31 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
Anybody else notice the irony here?
I had been thinking the exact same thing. The same thread is posted over in the roadie section. They haven't said anything negative towards mountain bikers.
Old 02-14-06, 03:53 PM
santiago

Bikes: 2005 Kona Blast; 2005 Turner Flux, 2006 Felt F3C

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by LowCel
I had been thinking the exact same thing. The same thread is posted over in the roadie section. They haven't said anything negative towards mountain bikers.
Those b@stards!

Just kidding, of course. The "us vs. them" mentality tends to exist in the younger set of the population. Older people (late 20s and up) tend not to be caught up in this type of thing.

I think the that there is a larger age distribution within mountain bikers given that the whole Urban Assault/Dirt Jumping thing is an extension of BMXing. I believe that the average age of roadies will be higher than for mountain bikers. Just an observation from my area. It isn't necessarily the norm.
Old 02-14-06, 04:01 PM
delay
I am an incurable.

Bikes: IRO Mark V pro (RIP), Bianchi Giro, Giant Xtc1, Redline Conquest Pro, Kelly Deluxe singlespeed.

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hmm, I just got to looking at this forum in the last few days. This thread seems oddly familiar to the occasional thread in the fixed gear forum.

The truth is that most of us who are serious ride all types of bikes. Any snobbery comes from someone who is just exceptionally committed to one thing. It does not need to be negative, this person just feels the sport he or she has choosen is the best (no doubt thats why it was choosen)

That said, I have seen this additude in road and fixed gear riders. When it comes up, I typically just say that I do both and tend to not ride with those people any longer. There are enough laid back people in all genres of biking that you don't need to put up with crap.
Old 02-14-06, 04:08 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look, if a war is to start comments can't be so nice.At one time it was sooooo easy to get some peoples undies in a bunch. This is no fun at all.
Old 02-14-06, 04:19 PM
Jason222
Banned.

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've got no problem with roadies. I see them quite often, and whenever I do, I give a friendly wave.
...Just kidding. Always be polite .

Mod Edit If you value your membership don't post crap like that.

ok

Last edited by Jason222; 02-14-06 at 07:29 PM.
Old 02-14-06, 04:27 PM
Peek the Geek
is slower than you

Bikes: Gunnar Sport, Marin Pine Mountain, Gunnar Ruffian, Gunnar Roadie, BMC Fourstroke, Salsa Vaya

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Look, if a war is to start comments can't be so nice.At one time it was sooooo easy to get some peoples undies in a bunch. This is no fun at all.
You are absolutely right. I apologize to you and the entire cycling community for my lack of malevolence. Please allow me the pleasure of treating you to a cup of tea sometime.

Oh, and all cyclocross riders are asshats.

Old 02-14-06, 05:13 PM
C Law
Too Much Crazy

Bikes: Eriksen 29er, Gunnar Roadie, Niner RLT, Niner RIP 9

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 116 Post(s)
Liked 3 Times in 2 Posts
Thats because they know we'll come over there and put a hurtin' on their 6'2'' 125 pound asses!!
Old 02-14-06, 05:15 PM
mtnbiker66
Old School Rad

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Peek the Geek
You are absolutely right. I apologize to you and the entire cycling community for my lack of malevolence. Please allow me the pleasure of treating you to a cup of tea sometime.

Oh, and all cyclocross riders are asshats.
Oh crap, thats funny.......
Old 02-14-06, 05:35 PM
jo5iah
chopsockey

Bikes: Monkey SS everythingbike, Ti frankenroadbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
there aren't really 'two' cultures, there are tons. i think i (and many others) span a number of these. here are some gross generalizations:
commuters - ride to get from here to there and back again, again and again, with stuff.
roadies - ride for fitness and fun and want to get faster (uphill)
mtbikers - ride for fun and excitement and to be out in the woods
fixers - ride for transportation and zen connection of pedal to road
track - ride for the thrill/challenge of a pure stripped down race
tourers - ride to see/be places at a bikey pace, with stuff - sometimes a lot of it

really, i'm not being fair to commuters and tourers - they're probably riding for fun too. cyclocross riders don't fit in any of these - they're just interested in self-abuse (and bike abuse).

back to the question though... "what makes mountain bikers different from road bikers?"
answer: the bikes they're riding.
Old 02-14-06, 05:59 PM
Jason222
Banned.

Bikes: Trek Jack...trials bike soon.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
A lot of Freeriders don't like XC guys and vice versa. I know I don't.
Old 02-14-06, 07:11 PM
J-McKech
What?

Bikes: Bianchi Brava(retired), Surly Instigator(retired)

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason222
I've got no problem with roadies. I see them quite often, and whenever I do, I give a friendly wave.

...Just kidding. Always be polite .

Mod Edit If you value your membership don't post crap like that.
This is hilarious!!! I wonder which moderator it was...
Old 02-14-06, 07:21 PM
Pheard
Banned

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride smooth semi bumpy trails because thats whats around, just for leasure does that make me an xc *****?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.