Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Stubborn Tire Removal

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Stubborn Tire Removal

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-23, 08:20 AM
Vaughan51

Bikes: Mountain Goat Escape Goat, Rocky Mountain Edge, Salsa Fargo Kona Libre

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Stubborn Tire Removal

I am looking for any tips or tricks in getting a stubborn tire off the rim so I can fix a flat or simply change the tire.

On two occasions now I've had tubeless ready tires that I simply can't seem to break the seal of the tire to the rim so as to get a tire lever under. Struggling for 45minutes or so before I've made any progress - with the usual scrapes and nicks on the rim itself.

I don't know if maybe I should be putting some grease or maybe talc on the edge of the tire so it doesn't "bond" to the rim or what.

Any tips or tricks would be appreciated.

Thanks
Old 07-08-23, 08:24 AM
10 Wheels
Galveston County Texas

Bikes: 02 GTO, 2011 Magnum

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 1353 Post(s)
Liked 1,249 Times in 626 Posts
One of These is a must have for your tire.
Amazon.com : Kool Stop Tire Bead Jack, Black : Bike Hand Tools : Sports & Outdoors

Likes For 10 Wheels:
Old 07-08-23, 08:34 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
That Kool Stop tire jack is great for installing tires but not too useful for removing them.

OP: Try using a large pair of pliers to grab both of the tire's sidewalls just above the rim and squeezing them together firmly. That should almost always break one bead loose.
Likes For HillRider:
Old 07-08-23, 08:36 AM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Bikes: Several, mostly not name brands.

Mentioned: 154 Post(s)
Quoted: 3609 Post(s)
Liked 3,433 Times in 1,952 Posts
Originally Posted by 10 Wheels
The bead jack is for installing the tire; the OP's problem is removing the tire.

Some tire/rim combinations are very tight. If you are using plastic tire levers, metal levers may work better for you. They are unlikely to break, and tend to be thinner than plastic levers, which makes it easier to get under the bead to lift it. N.B. metal levers are not recommended for carbon fiber rims. Once you get the tire off, consider replacing the rim strip with a thinner and/or narrower rim strip, to make it easier for the tire levers to reach under the bead.

Bon chance!
Old 07-08-23, 09:36 AM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,717 Posts
Such levers used to be referred to as "spoons" in the U.K., I believe. The first time I encountered a tire that was refusing to come off the rim, I took the hint and grabbed a couple of spoons from the kitchen.

The broad, thin, nicely chamfered edge of the handle was perfect for levering the bead out and over the rim. And the spooned end hooked securely behind a spoke, freeing both hands to lever out the next section of bead with the second spoon.
Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-08-23, 10:39 AM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 51 Post(s)
Quoted: 6278 Post(s)
Liked 4,864 Times in 3,353 Posts
Some tubeless rims have a little bump you have to get over to get the tire off the bead seat. I had to push with all my might I could muster in my thumbs the other day to get the bead broke from the seat of some 29'er wheels. These were tubed tires and it was the thick and wide rim tape that the bead was caught on and couldn't easily get over.

You might just wrap the jaws of some channel lock pliers with an old inner tube and use them to squeeze the tire in places till you get the bead broke and off the bead seat.
Old 07-08-23, 02:35 PM
nickyd

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've used a combination of standard plaster tyre leavers and the Tyre Glider. Although Tyre Glider seems better for getting tyres on that off, it can help force the tyres over the rim.
Old 07-08-23, 02:40 PM
ThermionicScott 
working on my sandal tan

Bikes: 1991 Bianchi Eros, 1964 Armstrong, 1988 Diamondback Ascent, 1988 Bianchi Premio, 1987 Bianchi Sport SX, 1980s Raleigh mixte (hers), All-City Space Horse (hers)

Mentioned: 98 Post(s)
Quoted: 3871 Post(s)
Liked 2,572 Times in 1,579 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaughan51
I am looking for any tips or tricks in getting a stubborn tire off the rim so I can fix a flat or simply change the tire.

On two occasions now I've had tubeless ready tires that I simply can't seem to break the seal of the tire to the rim so as to get a tire lever under. Struggling for 45minutes or so before I've made any progress - with the usual scrapes and nicks on the rim itself.

I don't know if maybe I should be putting some grease or maybe talc on the edge of the tire so it doesn't "bond" to the rim or what.

Thanks
If it's a tubeless-ready rim as well, you'll need to pull the beads completely into the center well of the rim before they can be dismounted. What was once good practice is pretty much mandatory with these.
People in this forum are not typical.
RUSA #7498
Old 07-08-23, 02:40 PM
KerryIrons

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 511 Post(s)
Liked 646 Times in 362 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
OP: Try using a large pair of pliers to grab both of the tire's sidewalls just above the rim and squeezing them together firmly. That should almost always break one bead loose.
Another "feature" of tubeless that you better hope never comes into play with a flat out on the road that your sealant and/or plug can't deal with.
Likes For KerryIrons:
Old 07-08-23, 04:10 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

Originally Posted by KerryIrons
Another "feature" of tubeless that you better hope never comes into play with a flat out on the road that your sealant and/or plug can't deal with.
Carry an inner tube for that contingency.
Old 07-08-23, 04:27 PM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by JohnDThompson
Carry an inner tube for that contingency.
You completely lost the plot. The suggestion was to use large pliers to break the bead so as to be able to remove the tire. Are you assuming that tubeless users should carry large pliers on their rides?
Old 07-08-23, 05:02 PM
JohnDThompson 
Old fart

You completely lost the plot. The suggestion was to use large pliers to break the bead so as to be able to remove the tire. Are you assuming that tubeless users should carry large pliers on their rides?
Your choice.
1) carry whatever you need to unmount/remount your tire on the road
2) change to a different tire/rim combination that isn't so stubborn
3) walk home or call an Uber
Old 07-09-23, 06:57 AM
Vaughan51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Originally Posted by Iride01
Some tubeless rims have a little bump you have to get over to get the tire off the bead seat. I had to push with all my might I could muster in my thumbs the other day to get the bead broke from the seat of some 29'er wheels. These were tubed tires and it was the thick and wide rim tape that the bead was caught on and couldn't easily get over.

You might just wrap the jaws of some channel lock pliers with an old inner tube and use them to squeeze the tire in places till you get the bead broke and off the bead seat.
Yep, mine are 29'er wheels. I thought I was going to dislocate my thumbs trying to remove the tire.

I did go out and buy some park tire levers (the metal ones) yesterday as I already have the plastic ones. Will be going back out and get a pair of channel lock pliers (for home change overs).

I will have to look for some narrower rim tape as well or I've been told the gorilla tape works really well as rim tape. Will try going to a narrower tape as a precautionary measure.

Some good suggestions to try out - just fingers crossed I don't have to do them in the back country gravel roads.

Thanks everyone!!!
Old 07-09-23, 07:21 AM
HillRider

Bikes: '96 Litespeed Catalyst, '05 Litespeed Firenze, '06 Litespeed Tuscany, '20 Surly Midnight Special, All are 3x10. It is hilly around here!

Mentioned: 39 Post(s)
Quoted: 2026 Post(s)
Liked 1,096 Times in 742 Posts
Are you assuming that tubeless users should carry large pliers on their rides?
Of course not. It was a shop-technique to solve the immediate problem.
Old 07-09-23, 09:20 AM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3566 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by HillRider
Of course not. It was a shop-technique to solve the immediate problem.
KerryIrons’ rhetorical question wasn’t directed at you. But his point remains: If the only fix for a flat that defeats sealant and plugs is to carry shop tools on a ride, then that sucks and should be considered when thinking of going tubeless.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-09-23, 02:17 PM
Crankycrank

Mentioned: 10 Post(s)
Quoted: 854 Post(s)
Liked 1,085 Times in 756 Posts
I've never tried this on a bike tubeless tire but there used to be a large plastic wedge for motorcycle tires that you would just hammer into the tire and rim to break the bead. Here's kind of a similar one for trucks to give you an idea. AME The Wedgie Tire Bead Wedge (75005) - Tire Supply Network I'm thinking you could sand down one end of a thick plastic bike tire lever to form a wedge and just push it with your hands to bread the bead. Like I said I have never tried this myself but if you have an extra lever laying around it may be worth a try.
Old 07-09-23, 02:34 PM
zandoval 

Bikes: Univega, Peu P6, Peu PR-10, Ted Williams, Peu UO-8, Peu UO-18 Mixte, Peu Dolomites

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 989 Post(s)
Liked 1,657 Times in 1,063 Posts
I had one hell of a time helping a neighbor get a tubeless tire off. He had let the wheel sleep a few months in the Texas heat and the Slime inside the tier glued it in place. In frustration I used Charcoal Lighter Fluid and flooded the rim then removed the presta valve and squeezed a good amount into the tire. I then used my knockoff Tyrekey to lever the tire off the rim. After removal we used Simple Green to clean everything up and was actually able to reuse the tire because we did not damage it at removal.

It was a mess!!!!

https://www.bikeforums.net/fifty-plu...ting-tool.html
Old 07-09-23, 03:39 PM
Trakhak

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 2535 Post(s)
Liked 3,016 Times in 1,717 Posts

Park Tool PTS-1 Tire Seating Tool

Likes For Trakhak:
Old 07-09-23, 03:45 PM
smd4

Bikes: 1989 Cinelli Supercorsa

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 3566 Post(s)
Liked 2,984 Times in 1,806 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
If I ever get to the point where I need the Park Jaws of Life to remove my tire, then I’m just gonna throw in the towel.
Likes For smd4:
Old 07-10-23, 10:03 AM
KerryIrons

Originally Posted by smd4
KerryIrons’ rhetorical question wasn’t directed at you. But his point remains: If the only fix for a flat that defeats sealant and plugs is to carry shop tools on a ride, then that sucks and should be considered when thinking of going tubeless.
Yes, thanks for making even clearer what I thought was clear already. Apparently it wasn't.
Old 07-10-23, 02:55 PM
grcolts

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Vaughan51

Thanks
I have a Jamis Renegade with Riddler tires on the rims and they are so difficult to get off. Never in my riding have I had tires so difficult to get off the rims. I bought this tool from REI that is supposed to help with that problem and it did work very well for getting the tire back onto the rim but I still struggled with getting them off. When it comes time for new tires I will try a different brand. The tool from REI is called Crankbrothers Speedier Tire Lever.
Old 07-24-23, 01:57 PM
Vaughan51

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
An interesting update, OR what could be called: Back to the Stone Age / Wood Age for tire removal

Out in the back country on a recent ride and came across a fellow cyclist who took a puncture. Asked if he needed some help and he said "nope I got this", but I hung around just in case as I had additional tire levers.

Interestingly the first thing he did was find a larger flat rock with a relatively straight edge ( I thought he was going to beat on his tire) but he placed it against the underside of the tire close to the rim, kneeled on the tire and pulled up on the rim. The tire bead broke free of the rim and he then proceeded to lever the tire from the rim.

He mentioned that a piece of wood works a bit better and usually he can find a piece in the ditch without to much looking but a stone works too if its around. Anyway he didn't seem to have any issues so once he was pumping up the tire we went our separate ways.
Old 07-24-23, 02:11 PM
kcjc

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 90 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by Trakhak
Originally Posted by smd4
If I ever get to the point where I need the Park Jaws of Life to remove my tire, then I’m just gonna throw in the towel.
Haven't need this tool since my college wrenching days at the campus bike shop some 30 years ago. Thanks for the laugh.