Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals.
Reload this Page >

Late 70's ? Nishiki Custom Sport S010 144

Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Search this Thread

Old 04-06-23, 07:10 AM
PeteyPedalPushr

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Curious what I have as a quick search of the Nishiki posts did not reveal a serial number starting in S. Brakes are stamped with 11 79. Seat says 01 78. Frame says Japan. I loved the look-cream frame with painted lugs and trim in schoolhouse brown and a chrome lower fork- very charming! Sadly it is too small for me. I have drive-side photos as wells as photos of the serial number, rear derailleur, hand-painted lugs, stem emblem- but I am new to the forum and can't post them. Little help, please? thank you!
Old 04-06-23, 10:28 AM
Hummer

Bikes: 1981 Raleigh GP, 1985 Norco Bush Pilot, . . .

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 241 Post(s)
Liked 187 Times in 136 Posts
Hello PeteyPedalPushr,

Welcome to the forum. Thanks for posting your pictures and information.

Link to album: https://www.bikeforums.net/g/album/28617578

The bike looks to be in good condition for early 1980s. The chrome fork blades are 1980-81.

What is strange about your bicycle is the model name decal. The Custom Sport is in script. The other Custom Sport models, the model name is in a slanted block letter style. The script names are from 1977.

Edit:
Another Custom Sport with a similar serial number:

https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...al-number.html

Last edited by Hummer; 04-06-23 at 10:37 AM. Reason: More info
Old 04-06-23, 04:40 PM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
As for dating I would agree on 80/81 the head badge is 77-81 and the parts are 79-82. There are several similar examples from this time frame with this format serial starting with a S in the Nishiki serial number database here on the forums that contains fairly good example of nearly every Nishiki every made https://www.bikeforums.net/classic-v...al-number.html.

As for for value I would place it as $100-125 as is and $175-200 nicely fixed up ready to ride. These are nice classic basic riders with some lesser parts.
Old 04-11-23, 03:20 PM
wrk101
Thrifty Bill

Bikes: 86 Katakura Silk, 87 Prologue X2, 88 Cimarron LE, 1975 Sekai 4000 Professional, 73 Paramount, plus more

Mentioned: 96 Post(s)
Quoted: 1236 Post(s)
Liked 964 Times in 628 Posts
Nishiki did not make bikes, they bought them from others. So they were free to change manufacturers based on the best deal, supply or whatever. So they need not have a consistent pattern.

Lots of brands back in the day did not make bikes. This did not mean their bikes were worse or better than others. Even many brands that made bikes outsourced part of their production. Some of their "best" models were made by others. Those bikes had serial numbers that reflected the actual manufacturer, rather than the brand on the bike. So just for example, my Panasonic made Schwinns ALL have Panasonic serial numbers and none of them have Schwinn serial numbers.

Last edited by wrk101; 04-11-23 at 03:27 PM.