Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

stand-over height

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

stand-over height

Search this Thread

Old 05-23-07, 10:30 AM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
stand-over height

Hi all,

I am looking to get a new bike for commuting. It's about a 7 mile round trip. I haven't ridden much since I was a teen (am 42 now). Had an old beater that got stolen a couple years ago, that I would ride on occasion to the local pub that was a couple miles away, to avoid a DUI (two beers can get you one these days!). Can't believe it got stolen, was an old POS Huffy from a dep't store, that was used when I got it for free (a friend's kid went to college and left it behind, and it didn't sell for 5 bucks at a garage sale, haha). Bike was really uncomfortable to ride (at least before I had a couple in me!), was too small, but I couldn't argue with free.

But anyway, I was initially thinking about getting Diamondback Menona: https://www.diamondback.com/items.asp...d=5&itemid=229

But changed my mind, because I want to put a decent rack and panniers on it for hauling stuff to and from work, so don't want the disc brakes (which makes a bike harder to fit with a rack, from what I have been reading). I've already ordered a rack actually, getting the Tubus LOCC and an Abus lock to go with it (rack has mounts for a U-lock)

After lots of research on hardware, I think I want this bike. https://www.fujibikes.com/2007/bikes.asp?id=325
For instance, sounds like the Shimano Deore derailleurs are pretty good for that price range. I also like that it comes with fenders and a kickstand. Kickstand is extra weight I know, but could come in handy if I have to stop on the road and put on raingear or something, and there is nothing to lean the bike against. Besides I've ridden lots of motorcycles, and it just seems weird not having a kickstand!

From what I've been reading, the suspension forks aren't liked by many people. I think I will like them initially, but maybe after I am in better shape from riding nearly everyday, I could change it later. I just want to be as comfortable as possible starting out, so I don't get discouraged before I have the habit.

Anyhow, whats all that have to do with the "stand-over" subject? Not much, but here is my dilemma. When I tried the Diamondback hybrids with the 19" frame designation, the top cross bar was about an inch from my crotch when standing over it, and it was a little awkward getting on and off it (maybe thats something one gets the hang of after riding it a awhile, gotta lean the bike over to one side a bit?). How dangerous is that to one's family jewels? Do people ever come off the seat in an emergency braking situation? I couldn't get an answer whether or not the 19" was too tall for me from the couple LBSs I stopped in recently, they are really busy it seems, and maybe the knowledgeable people were in back wrenching. Anyways, the Fuji Crosstowns have 17" and 19" frames, I am not sure which one to order, and I can't test ride any Fuji models with that frame, NONE of several dealers within a 50 radius of where I live carry these bikes on the floor, they'll have to order it. I suppose if I hate the bike after they order it, I don't have to follow through and buy it, but really don't want to stick a struggling LBS with something they can't move for whatever reason. I am almost 6' tall, a little over 6 with shoes on. Inseam is 32". The following sizing chart seems to indicate I should get the 19" https://www.fujibikes.com/2007/pdf/fit_guide.pdf Is the top crossbar perhaps a bit closer to the ground on the Fuji Crosstowns? I couldn't find a fit chart at the Diamondback site to compare -- so anyhow, any feedback before I place an order will be appreciated, a little nervous about sizing. Feedback, constructive criticism, etc., on anything I have rambled on about is appreciated! I've learned a lot already by lurking last couple weeks.
Old 05-23-07, 10:41 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Bikes: 1984 Trek 520; 2007 Bike Friday NWT; misc others

Mentioned: 86 Post(s)
Quoted: 3943 Post(s)
Liked 117 Times in 92 Posts
On a traditional road bike with a horizontal top tube it's normal to only have an inch or two of crotch clearance. I'm not sure what's "normal" on a hybrid with a sloping tube, but if it fits you and you have clearance I don't think you should worry.
Old 05-23-07, 11:26 AM
nakedsushi
newbie commuter

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm not an expert on stand-over height, but I can provide handwavey anecdotal advice.

My main commuter is also a hybrid with a sloping top tube. When I first saw it at the LBS, I thought it was a bit small b/c I was used to a straight top tube that was only a few inches from my crotch. The guy working there assured me it was the perfect size for me, so I bought it. My seat is high enough where I have to lean it to one side to swing my leg over it (I get on by swinging it from the back) anyway, so the top tube isn't the problem with me getting on/off the bike -- it's my seat. The only time I've fallen on it was when I had to brake suddenly and even then, I kind of hobbled to the side, not to the front.

Now I have a road bike that I occasionally ride to work with a more traditional men's top tube and it's about half an inch from my crotch when I stand over it with feet flat. Had I any family jewels, they'd be resting happily on the top tube. I think the height of the top tube would bother me more if I had to get off the seat each time I stopped, since I'd be sitting right on the top tube if I did that. Instead when I stop, I just lean the bike to one side and balance with one foot on the ground, one foot on the pedal.

If your seat is high enough that that's not possible while sitting, I'd get a bike where the top tube isn't so close to your crotch. If I had family jewels to protect, I'd choose a smaller frame.
Old 05-23-07, 11:45 AM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Bikes: Jamis, Specialized, CoMotion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
If you have a place that carries Specialized, you might consider this bike, or one of it's relatives:
https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCBkModel.jsp?spid=22264

The one shown is the least expensive, but quite a good bike for the $$.
I have the comp and mine is a 2005 model, bought new in 2006.
The higher line of Sport and up have ZERTZ inserts in the seatpost and front fork and let me tell you, the shock absorbancy of those inserts is amazing!! I feel almost nothing compared to the other bikes I tested before getting the Sirrus Comp. Riding this bike the first time was like finding the right guy.
It's a fantastic bike and I would suggest you take a look if you have a Specialized dealer in your area.

As for stand over, I have less than 1 inch and though I have no jewels I'm not the least bit worried about hurting what I do have.
Good luck, don't 'settle' for a bike, get one that you like.
I'm hesitant to buy a bike I've never ridden.
Old 05-23-07, 11:48 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Standover height won't matter in an "emergency stop" situation. If you come off the seat, you aren't gonna have time to put your feet on the ground...
Old 05-23-07, 02:30 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks for the replies so far everybody. My mind is more at ease about the crotch clearance issue now

Ginny, I like that Comp model. I think I like the Fuji Crosstown 1.0 better then the entry level Sirrius tho. The sport and comp are a bit more then I intended to spend, but I might go for it if I can test ride one, a local shop I found on the Internet is a dealer, gonna stop in and check 'em out. Maybe they'll come down a tad on the list prices that are on the Specialized website?
Old 05-23-07, 04:02 PM
rando

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
my jewels rest right on the top bar. but not uncomfortably. there's just really no clearance. the bike fits me pretty well.
Old 05-23-07, 04:42 PM
cerewa
put our Heads Together

Bikes: a mountain bike with a cargo box on the back and aero bars on the front. an old well-worn dahon folding bike

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
the top cross bar was about an inch from my crotch when standing over it, and it was a little awkward getting on and off it (maybe thats something one gets the hang of after riding it a awhile, gotta lean the bike over to one side a bit?). How dangerous is that to one's family jewels? Do people ever come off the seat in an emergency braking situation?
Most bikes are difficult and awkward to mount by putting a foot over the top tube-- either your hand is in the way of your foot, or your body is turned so that it's hard to lift a foot foward and up high. Bikes with ultra-low-stepthrough frames are the only ones that make it easy. With a horizontal top tube, most find it much easier to lift a leg over the back wheel and seat.

My mind is more at ease about the crotch clearance issue now
Typical bike crashes involve the bike falling sideways (where it will probably hit you in the side of the leg) or rider and bike flying forward over the front wheel. If you fall off the seat, the real danger is not that your crotch will hit the frame hard after falling a few inches, it's that your body will hit the ground hard after falling a lot more than a couple inches. A helmet can help in that sort of crash, but different frame shapes make little difference.
Old 05-23-07, 05:26 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by pedalMonger
Thanks for the replies so far everybody. My mind is more at ease about the crotch clearance issue now

Ginny, I like that Comp model. I think I like the Fuji Crosstown 1.0 better then the entry level Sirrius tho. The sport and comp are a bit more then I intended to spend, but I might go for it if I can test ride one, a local shop I found on the Internet is a dealer, gonna stop in and check 'em out. Maybe they'll come down a tad on the list prices that are on the Specialized website?
Good luck.
I test rode a Fuji and didn't buy it because I could feel the texture of the road in my hands.
The bike just didn't have anything to absorb shock. I was coming from a mtn bike with front
suspension so the Fuji was just a big shock to ride. But that Comp, man oh man, it was so
close to riding my mtn that it was perfect. I'm still impressed by it and am so glad I bought
it. It ws about $200 more than I wanted to spend but I finagled the funds and have been
really happy with it. Oh and it weights about 17 pounds so the only thing keeping me from
going fast UP the hills is my own fat butt and less than fantastic legs.
Check your local craigslist. They sometimes come up there when people decide they want
a pure road bike.
The 2005 and 2006 models are better than the 2007 IN MY OPINION! which makes no difference in life.
My opinion, that is.
Hope they have one for you. It's a great bike!
Welcome to commuting!
Old 05-23-07, 05:44 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey all,

I went to the bike shop that carried the Specialized brand. They have carbon seat stays so wouldn't be able to mount a rear rack on them.

They had some Trek brand bikes there, I took a test ride on a 7.6 FX which they call a fitness bike.

https://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1343000&f=26

That has carbon forks, carbon seat post (but not seat stays), and the rest is aluminum. Has rack mounts. I hopped a curb on it, and it didn't seem like a rough landing

Its closest to a regular road bike from what I can tell, with bit more upright comfortable riding position. Damn the thing is light, only 22 pounds, they hung it on scale.

The one on the floor was a 17.5" frame designation. I had about 2", maybe 2 1/2" clearance I think. Had to raise the seat up a bit more then usual though, but there was still room to go with raising it. Next size after 17.5" is 20", I think that would be too big probably, or right on the edge. They didn't have a 20" on floor to try out. I liked it though, hope if I get it, I don't regret not going with the 20" because of riding position/reach? Hard to tell without putting some miles on, but it was fun to ride a few blocks on it, and didn't seem awkward. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable with a bike I can stand over flat footed that isn't practically brushing on my crotch. It was pretty easy getting on and off it too.

I don't think I like the other hybrids, that are supposed to be good for riding on dirt trails as well as the road, I don't plan on doing any trail riding, if I do in the future, maybe I'll get another bike for that.

Cerewa, I'll be getting a helmet for sure. I was in a motorcycle wreck once, and the helmet saved me. Was rear ended by somebody who didn't see me at a light, who decided to turn left at last minute. So they really glanced me in the back off their right fender, not a direct hit from rear. Cycle shot out from under me and I landed on my back, and bounced the back of my head on the ground. Had a bit of whip lash is all. Cycle slammed into a car on other side of intersection and caught fire! Interior of their car caught fire too, they had the windows down. Got so hot it melted all the aluminum on my motorcycle. Good thing I didn't have a sissybar or backrest, would have gone across the intersection with the bike probably.
Old 05-23-07, 05:52 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Hey Ginny, do you know if the 2005 and 2006 models have carbon seat stays? If I could find one thats new or barely used, I might go for it, if the stays aren't carbon. I decided I like the aluminum bikes with carbon forks and seat post tho, rather then spongy suspension tubes. Its important that I am able to mount a rear rack on the bike, I don't want to use a back pack for hauling crap to work with me, or if I stop to get groceries, etc.
Old 05-23-07, 06:12 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
What kind of rack are you using that you can't put it on a bike with carbon seat stays?
Mine has a carbon seat post so I'd say yeah, but I also have a rack on it.
Not one of the kind that is just held on by the seat post, but one that goes to the rear drop outs.
It's not on my bike now, we just put it on when we tour.
I have a front handle bag to carry my commuting stuff.
I'm the owner of my biz so I can wear my bike shorts all day and bring a bra and shirt to work.
I take lunch, wallet, keys, shoes and other small things.

I'll ask the DH about the rack. I don't mess with my bike, he does all the maint, installation and cleaning of my bike. I'm just lucky that way. YES, I can change a tire. . .
Old 05-23-07, 06:17 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Specialized A1 Premium Aluminium compact design frame with rack and fender braze-ons
Specialized FACT carbon fork legs and 7075 alloy steerer provide lighter weight and a smoother ride
Specialized Pro 8-position adjustable stem allows for precision fit
More gears and increased shifting performance with Shimano 105/Deore 27-speed drivetrain
Lighter Specialized Pavé advanced carbon seat post
Lighter Alex AT400 double-wall rims with machined sidewalls and stainless eyelets
This is from a review of the 2006 Sirrus Comp.
It can definitely take a rack.

Good luck!
Old 05-23-07, 06:24 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Thanks! I'll ask them tomorrow about availability, maybe Specialized still has them in stock. Probably be a bit cheaper if too, if so. If not, I'll probably get the Trek FX (I think I am going to ask them to order a 20" for me to try out, if I still decide on the 17.5" after a test ride, then they'll have another one to put on the floor)
Old 05-23-07, 06:34 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike is a 53 cm size, I think a small? maybe Medium and it has a stand over of 27-28 inches.
Greatly comfy. If you are smaller I'd go with the 17.5'' on the Trek. I found the 20'' on the trek to be a bit too long a stretch for me.
I'm 5'3, 30 inch inseam and the 53 cm is perfect for me.
No wrist pain, oh,oh,oh! The Specialized has the most comfortable handbar grips in the entire world!
They aren't round, they have a cool flat spot that really makes gripping for long periods (did a metric century on it several times last year) really comfortable!

https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...sp?spid=25685v

Worth buying the bike alone!

Good luck!
Old 05-23-07, 06:39 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by Ginny
My bike is a 53 cm size, I think a small? maybe Medium and it has a stand over of 27-28 inches.
Greatly comfy. If you are smaller I'd go with the 17.5'' on the Trek. I found the 20'' on the trek to be a bit too long a stretch for me.
I'm 5'3, 30 inch inseam and the 53 cm is perfect for me.
No wrist pain, oh,oh,oh! The Specialized has the most comfortable handbar grips in the entire world!
They aren't round, they have a cool flat spot that really makes gripping for long periods (did a metric century on it several times last year) really comfortable!

https://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...sp?spid=25685v

Worth buying the bike alone!

Good luck!
Your bike IS perfect for you,according to accepted sizing perameters, not small at all actually. Guys here at the forum mantain that thier 54's are perfect,these dudes are 6'1", that's small not 5'3" on 53
Old 05-23-07, 06:50 PM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Hey all,

I went to the bike shop that carried the Specialized brand. They have carbon seat stays so wouldn't be able to mount a rear rack on them.

They had some Trek brand bikes there, I took a test ride on a 7.6 FX which they call a fitness bike.

https://www2.trekbikes.com/bikes/bike...d=1343000&f=26

That has carbon forks, carbon seat post (but not seat stays), and the rest is aluminum. Has rack mounts. I hopped a curb on it, and it didn't seem like a rough landing

Its closest to a regular road bike from what I can tell, with bit more upright comfortable riding position. Damn the thing is light, only 22 pounds, they hung it on scale.

The one on the floor was a 17.5" frame designation. I had about 2", maybe 2 1/2" clearance I think. Had to raise the seat up a bit more then usual though, but there was still room to go with raising it. Next size after 17.5" is 20", I think that would be too big probably, or right on the edge. They didn't have a 20" on floor to try out. I liked it though, hope if I get it, I don't regret not going with the 20" because of riding position/reach? Hard to tell without putting some miles on, but it was fun to ride a few blocks on it, and didn't seem awkward. I don't know why, but I feel more comfortable with a bike I can stand over flat footed that isn't practically brushing on my crotch. It was pretty easy getting on and off it too.

I don't think I like the other hybrids, that are supposed to be good for riding on dirt trails as well as the road, I don't plan on doing any trail riding, if I do in the future, maybe I'll get another bike for that.

Cerewa, I'll be getting a helmet for sure. I was in a motorcycle wreck once, and the helmet saved me. Was rear ended by somebody who didn't see me at a light, who decided to turn left at last minute. So they really glanced me in the back off their right fender, not a direct hit from rear. Cycle shot out from under me and I landed on my back, and bounced the back of my head on the ground. Had a bit of whip lash is all. Cycle slammed into a car on other side of intersection and caught fire! Interior of their car caught fire too, they had the windows down. Got so hot it melted all the aluminum on my motorcycle. Good thing I didn't have a sissybar or backrest, would have gone across the intersection with the bike probably.
The Trek has skinnier tires and 700c wheels compared to the mountain bike wheels on the first two bikes you posted. Those wheels will make it a little faster on pavement.
Old 05-23-07, 07:33 PM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My bike has 700X28s I think.
Armadillo tires, they rock!
Old 05-24-07, 02:14 AM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
geez I got insomnia now, thinking about bikes. I think I am obsessive compulsive, after all the reading I've done I know more about many bikes and their intricacies, then some of the people working the floor in a couple of the larger bike shops I've been in. I've at least learned to ask the right questions, place I stopped at earlier yesterday, floor person had to go get somebody else to answer my questions cuz she didn't know.

Here are a couple informative links I came across about bike sizing, that should be helpful if somebody with similar questions about sizing, stand-over, etc finds this thread in a search someday.

Bike Fit

I wrote this chapter about frame size and bike fit at the request of a number of cyclists and realizing that (1) there are many unprofessional and/or unscrupulous people in bike shops and (2) bad articles are regularly written about bike size and fit in cycling magazines.

https://www.coachcarl.com/training_articles/bike_fit.htm
and

Articles about Frames & Fitting

by Sheldon "If It Does Not Fit, You Must Not Sit" Brown and others

https://www.sheldonbrown.com/frames/index.html
I'm sure neither of those links are gospel, as just about anything is debatable. but still, the information helped me understand what the various factors are, regarding sizing.

I think I figured out why the "stand-over" thing was bugging me (besides worrying about the 'nads), I've been riding motorcycles for decades, and mostly rode roadsters (closest thing to crotch rockets before they invented crotch rockets) that were low to the ground, I had quite a bit of clearance standing up on flat feet over the seat (horizontal top tube wasn't an issue, the gas tank rested on that). That made it easy to get on and off without mounting from over the rear tire, as cerewa mentioned ("with a horizontal top tube, most find it much easier to lift a leg over the back wheel and seat"). Of course being able to handle the weight of a motorbike at a stop, and having the correct distance between pedals (which are off the ground) and a bicycle seat is a whole nuther ball game since it involves how efficient the rider/"engine" will perform.

Anyway, I am looking forward to two wheeling under my own power, I am starting to get a middle aged paunch I would rather not have I was big on aerobic exercise when I was younger, ran 10 miles a day training for x-country races and loved the endorphin release "high", until I messed up my ankle bad (its fine now, but not gonna risk messing it up again pounding pavement with my feet, especially with the extra weight I now have).

After I get a bike, maybe I'll write a small essay describing the process I went through from first deciding I wanted a bike, to actually getting it. if I get insomnia again.

I am leaning pretty heavy toward getting the Trek 7.6 FX. I first want to test ride the next size up to be sure which size I like best. I will put a deposit on it tomorrow, so they hold the one they have for me (in case I decide I prefer the 17.5" that they already have) , while waiting for the bigger one to show up. Thanks Ginny for recommending the Sirrus. Even if I don't get one (will still ask local shop if their Specialized supplier has any 2006 Sirrus Comp inventory left), I might not have thought to test ride a similar bike with carbon forks if you hadn't suggested the Sirrus.
Old 05-24-07, 07:55 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

geez I got insomnia now, thinking about bikes. I think I am obsessive compulsive,

I am leaning pretty heavy toward getting the Trek 7.6 FX. I first want to test ride the next size up to be sure which size I like best.
Obsessive compulsive about bikes? Join the club...reading BF induces (hopefully temporary) OCD.

Definitely wait for the 20". According to the Trek site it has a standover of 30" which should be fine for you.
Old 05-24-07, 08:10 AM
tarwheel 

Bikes: Waterford RST-22, Bob Jackson World Tour, Ritchey Breakaway Cross, Soma Saga, De Bernardi SL, Specialized Sequoia

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Standover is the most over-rating criteria in bike fit. Top tube length is most important, in my book, closely followed by headtube length. My bikes all have less than 1" of standover, and it has never been an issue in 35 years of cycling.
Old 05-24-07, 09:16 AM
AndrewP

Bikes: Peugeot Hybrid, Minelli Hybrid

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Looking at the pictures of the bikes, the Fuji seems to be very short from the seat to the bars. I think the longer frame of the Trek would put your weight more over the pedals and less on the seat, which would make it more comfortable. A seven mile round trip may seem a long way to you, but if you buy the Trek you will soon be looking for longer routes home from work.
Old 05-24-07, 10:03 AM
cooker
Prefers Cicero

Originally Posted by tarwheel
Standover is the most over-rating criteria in bike fit.
The only reason for focussing on standover is because the OP is worried about it. But both the 17" and 20" frame have adequate clearance (in theory) so he should try them both.
Old 05-24-07, 09:26 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Well I didn't wait to try the 20"....I went to a different bike shop - that also sold Treks, just a few miles away from the one I went to yesterday. They had a 20" FX 7.5 on the floor So tried it out, and its a better fit. Bad news is....they logged into their Trek account to check availability, and Trek is out of the 7.6 20"! And won't be restocking them, no way for an LBS to get on from Trek again, until 2008 models come out. That bike went like hotcakes this year. I can see why, its an awesome bike, I felt like I was flying test riding it So anyway, the LBS I went to today was awesome, they are going to call around every Trek dealer in the Midwest to see if they can find one for me, and will hold the FX 7.5 they have at their shop in case they can't find a 7.6. The 7.5 is decent too, just a small step down hardware wise, but still a great bike. I would rather have a FX7.5 20" then the FX7.6 17.5"

Yep I'm still OCDing, cooker

I got my DiNotte lights in the mail today! haha, my gear is showing up before I even have a bike. Holy sheet are those lights are bright, I put the DiNotte taillight on the bumper of my truck, to compare it to the truck's running lights, and it was MUCH brighter. Maybe going overboard getting those lights for a newbie commuter, but I don't want to get whacked, had enough close calls on motorcycles already. As well as the accident mentioned earlier, because the driver "didn't see me" (translated: "wasn't paying attention")
Old 05-25-07, 08:30 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Welp I took the plunge today, walked out of the LBS with a Trek FX 7.5 (20" frame). The 7.6 is practically unobtainable. But I am very happy with the 7.5. I don't need the gearing the 7.6 has anyway, no really steep climbs to deal with (I was considering the Specialized Globe with the Nexus system before, thats only 8 speeds) This one has the same carbon forks as the 7.6, but no carbon seat post, so I ordered a carbon seat post to upgrade the 7.5 a bit.

Thanks for all the advice and encouragement, I am slapping on the DiNotte lights and going out for a night ride! see you all next time I am looking at you, have a great memorial day weekend if yer in the States! I'll post some pics on the appropriate thread of my new baby, decked out in gear next week after UPS brings my panniers.

Last edited by pedalMonger; 07-11-07 at 07:32 AM.