Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Replacement bike time... what accessories am I forgetting?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-09, 09:14 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

OK so my commuter got stolen early this past fall, and I am just now getting around to buying a replacement. I need some quick help though... what the heck did I have attached to it that I am forgetting about? Otherwise I'm gonna get home from the bike shop, get ready to go riding and go "Doh I forgot to get a new ______!"

So far I've thought of:
Patch kit
Multitool
Fenders
Pump
Lights (luckily none of my headlights were mounted on it when it was stolen, so I still have those).
Computer
Rack

What am I probably forgetting?
Old 01-04-09, 09:34 AM
JusticeZero
Rider

Liked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Panniers, spare tube, mirrors, end bars (if flat), studded tires, bottle and cage, taillights? Lock and mounting hardware? Change QR's with non QR's where appropriate?
Old 01-04-09, 11:53 AM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
OK so my commuter got stolen early this past fall, and I am just now getting around to buying a replacement. I need some quick help though... what the heck did I have attached to it that I am forgetting about? Otherwise I'm gonna get home from the bike shop, get ready to go riding and go "Doh I forgot to get a new ______!"

So far I've thought of:
Patch kit
Multitool
Fenders
Pump
Lights (luckily none of my headlights were mounted on it when it was stolen, so I still have those).
Computer
Rack

What am I probably forgetting?
You didn't mention how you'll be carrying your stuff. Also, how exactly did your bike get stolen? What kind of lock(s) were you using, the locking technique and where and how long did you intend to have it locked up?
Old 01-04-09, 12:21 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I used a milk crate rather than panniers, and I do have another one of those for the new bike.

I hadn't had a mirror for a while (old one got broken off) but it's a good idea. The new bike will probably have drops so no bar ends.

It was stolen while it was still warm out, so my studded tires are still at home.

Bottle cage I had forgotten about (two actually, I have a bottle cage battery for one headlight).

I have one taillight and will pick up another if they have a good deal on 'em.

Lock: I still have 3 u-locks left from when the Performance Bike near me went out of business .

I'm going to get "locking" quick release skewers and make sure I have a non-QR seatpost clamp.

The old bike was stolen out of my garage, I had the garage open because I was working in the yard and someone just walked in and took it (in about a 30-minute time period). In the future I'll lock my bikes even when in the garage, but it wasn't locked this time. I mostly just ride to work and back and have indoor storage at work. I never plan on leaving it locked outside for extended periods (maybe a few minutes while I'm in-and-out of a convenience store or something).
Old 01-04-09, 01:11 PM
mijome07

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 4 Posts
Originally Posted by Eggplant Jeff
The old bike was stolen out of my garage, I had the garage open because I was working in the yard and someone just walked in and took it (in about a 30-minute time period). In the future I'll lock my bikes even when in the garage, but it wasn't locked this time. I mostly just ride to work and back and have indoor storage at work. I never plan on leaving it locked outside for extended periods (maybe a few minutes while I'm in-and-out of a convenience store or something).
That's really unfortunate. I'd leave another bike "unlocked" to lure him/them in, ambush, shut the garage door, beat their @$$(es), open the garage door and roll 'em down the driveway to the gutter.