Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

1988 Specialized Sirrus

Search this Thread

Old 04-05-23, 08:58 AM
rustystrings61 

Bikes: 2002 Mercian Vincitore, 1982 Mercian Colorado, 1976 Puch Royal X, 1973 Raleigh Competition, 1971 Gitane Tour de France and others

Mentioned: 55 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 823 Post(s)
Liked 1,395 Times in 694 Posts
1988 Specialized Sirrus

I am flirting with selling this bike, but I am undecided. If the value is low enough, I may just keep it as I downsize my herd to fit it into smaller quarters. I am curious about reasonable prices to ask for it.

This is a 1988 Specialized Sirrus I picked up for very little money relative to its ride quality. The '87-89 Sirrus used the same frame built with unspecified (but probably pretty nice Tange!) tubing as was used in the Allez of the same period; it got a different (and slightly less durable) paint job and 105 parts instead of 600.

Specs - <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->58 cm (c-c); 74x74 angles, 41 cm c-stays, 38 mm rake, 57 mm trail (cataloged specs), built of unnamed (likely Tange Champion) double-butted chromoly main frame w/ chromoly forks and stays; forged crown; 2 sets of bottle bosses; chainstay stop; top tube cable tunnels; chain hanger; pump peg on back of head tube; built in Taiwan by Giant. <!--td {border: 1px solid #cccccc;}br {mso-data-placement:same-cell;}-->Shimano 105 brakes w/ aero levers, downtube shifters, derailleurs, cranks w/39/52T alloy rings, hubs; "sealed" Specialized 119 mm bb; Wolber GTX front, Mavic Open CD4 (replacement) rear 32h rims; Strong 27.2 mm seatpost; Selle Italia Mundialita white saddle; Tange Seiki headset; Specialized/Nitto stem & bars; Shimano Uniglide chain; 13-15-17-19-21-23 6-speed Uniglide cassette; Continental Gatorskin 23 mm tires; original-pattern Look pedals. It was the seller's college bike, and had hung in a climate controlled room for 22 years when I acquired it.

Brake and shifter cables and tires are replaced; all bearings cleaned and serviced; pretty much everything ready to go with ONE FLAW - the handlebar is bent on the right side, probably from the bike falling over at some point before I got it. That is currently the only thing I think should be replaced.

Here are pix -

Old 04-05-23, 09:38 AM
SoCaled 

Bikes: Cuevas Custom, Cimmaron, 1988 "Pinalized Rockma", 1984 Trek 510, Moulton custom touring, Raleigh Competition GS, Bridgestone Mb-2 & 3, 1980's Peugeot - US, City, & Canyon Express (6)

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 1101 Post(s)
Liked 3,757 Times in 1,842 Posts
Originally Posted by rustystrings61
I am flirting with selling this bike, but I am undecided. If the value is low enough, I may just keep it as I downsize my herd to fit it into smaller quarters. I am curious about reasonable prices to ask for it.

This is a 1988 Specialized Sirrus I picked up for very little money relative to its ride quality.
In LA 105 equipped bikes with comparable frames regularly sell for $150-250 (not specified as fully serviced, just complete). There was a clean 1990 Sirrus red w/ black decals listed that sat at $350 for months. I am always looking at Sirrus/Allez on craigs/offerup/facebook and for the last 4-5 years I think every one I have seen was $90-350, with the exception of Merz and Yoshi Konno versions. I agree with your $ to ride quality assessment and I am in a similar dilemma as I have 2 myself. I regularly post Sirrus/Allez and Centurion Ironman bikes on the "Craigslist are you looking for one of these?" thread that are listed at sub $200, specifically because they punch above their weight. I think my plan (when I get there) is to post the 2 I have at prices I am happy to let them go at and be patient if that doesn't work I might/will keep one, maybe both.
Old 04-05-23, 09:45 AM
TugaDude

Mentioned: 9 Post(s)
Quoted: 586 Post(s)
Liked 612 Times in 447 Posts
Nice bike. Love Shimano 105 from that era, very solid. If I were you and could find enough space to keep it, that's what I'd probably do. I doubt you will be happy with what you can currently get for it.
Likes For TugaDude:
Old 04-06-23, 04:34 AM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Not unusual to see a bike like this with an asking price of $300+. Unlikely to sell though. $250 would make me look but then I’d back away once I noticed the paint touch ups, dingy hoods, mismatched tires and bent handlebars. I’m thinking more like $175 +/- $25.