Search
Notices
Classic and Vintage Bicycles: Whats it Worth? Appraisals. Use this subforum for all requests as to "How much is this vintage bike worth?"Do NOT try to sell it in here, use the Marketplaces.

Unknown ape hanger kids bikes

Search this Thread

Old 04-25-23, 12:41 PM
DMC707

Bikes: Too many to list

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1765 Post(s)
Liked 1,124 Times in 746 Posts
Unknown ape hanger kids bikes

Any market at all for non Schwinn bikes like this?
I thought there were 1 or 2 brands out there besides Schwinn that were worth it. For a curiosity or a nostalgic wall hanger almost anything can have some value, but these don’t fit that bill

A friend sent me these pics as he is interested in buying them ($150 for the pair I think)
I surmised that being boys frames, 150 isn’t horrible, but that there wouldn’t be any sense in putting much effort into them outside of making them rideable again

Old 04-25-23, 01:22 PM
juvela

Mentioned: 415 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3814 Post(s)
Liked 3,345 Times in 2,182 Posts
-----

a more frequently employed generic term for these sorts of machines is "muscle bike" or "Stingray type"

no wish to correct you just letting you know for purposes communication on forums

the term "apehanger" is typically used to communicate a particular pattern of handlebar, which can be fitted to any bike, rather than a type of cycle

most of the non-Schwinn examples were produced under contract for chainstores and sold bearing a house brand

Huffman and Murray were two big domestic manufacturers of such bicycles

most commonly encountered European produced examples were done by Bauer of Germany and Steyr of Austria; the Bauer bike in the photo is slightly unusual in that it was sold under the manufacturer's own name

doubt that non-Schwinn cycles of this type carry much value but will leave that to the experts...

-----
Old 04-25-23, 07:46 PM
plonz 

Mentioned: 45 Post(s)
Quoted: 656 Post(s)
Liked 469 Times in 302 Posts
Besides the Stingray and its various spinoffs, the Raleigh Chopper is the only other muscle bike I’ve seen command a collector’s premium.
Old 04-25-23, 08:13 PM
sloar 

Bikes: they change so much I'm tired of updating this

Mentioned: 168 Post(s)
Quoted: 1212 Post(s)
Liked 1,128 Times in 427 Posts
There is a few others that are worth money. The Iverson Charger and Drag Strpper and Murray Eliminator for example.
Old 04-26-23, 09:23 AM
zukahn1 

Bikes: Current 79 Nishiki Custum Sport, Jeunet 620, notable previous bikes P.K. Ripper loop tail, Kawahara Laser Lite, Paramount Track full chrome, Raliegh Internatioanl, Motobecan Super Mirage. 59 Crown royak 3 speed

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 790 Post(s)
Liked 1,769 Times in 635 Posts
While not as nice as the Stingrays these are both interesting and slightly different examples but in rough shape would cost more than there worth to get them back in nice mostly original riding condition. Being slightly different rarer models correct parts will be difficult and costly to find. So I would guess about $200 for both to the the right buyer. For these type bikes to have real good value they need to be in excellent basically original riding condition and both of these are far from it.