Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Saw a coyote this morning

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 05-24-07, 10:15 PM
stringbreaker
stringbreaker

Bikes: specialized crossroads hybrid 2006 Raleigh Cadent 2 1971 Schwinn Varsity, 1972 Schwinn Continental, 1977 Schwinn Volare (frame)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

It might not be a big deal to those that live in a more rural area but my commute takes me through an industrial/ warehouse area with some pockets of housing. This morning about 4:30 I was riding along and what I thought was a pretty skinny looking dog leaped out from a weeded area on my left about 10 yards ahead and he gave me a look and started trottin down the middle of the road and I thought oh great he's gonna come after me but he just looked back a couple of time and never made a sound. Funny but although the resemble a dog their whole body shape seems a bit out of porportion, very long legs and slim body a really neat looking animal. Usually I see dead skunks and possums. He was cool. I have seen quite a few wild rabbits in that area so I guess he was after a meal.
Old 05-24-07, 10:53 PM
c_m_shooter

Bikes: Soma Pescadero, Surly Pugsley, Salsa Fargo, Schwinn Klunker, Gravity SS 27.5, Monocog 29er

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 186 Post(s)
Liked 234 Times in 166 Posts
Don't worry, coyotes aren't agressive. They are only about 30 pounds anyway, not big enough to worry about.
Old 05-24-07, 11:02 PM
old and new

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
VERY COOL! I live in NC, not much talk of them here on the southern coast. Not much talk of them in the mountains of NY either,where I'm from, not untill 15 years ago, lots of them now. Very voracious and adaptable creatures. Not aggressive towards humans. Very impressive set of teeth,no joke, unbelievably long and sharp. One friend trapped one,another shot one. Actually the one weighed well over 40lbs.
Old 05-25-07, 02:25 AM
Bill Kapaun
Really Old Senior Member

Bikes: 87 RockHopper,2008 Specialized Globe. Both upgraded to 9 speeds. 2019 Giant Explore E+3

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1795 Post(s)
Liked 1,271 Times in 877 Posts
Was that the rabid one?
Old 05-25-07, 02:48 AM
cradduck
This town needs an enema.

Bikes: Bridgestone 400

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Coyotes are cool. They are the great equalizer of small yippie dogs in suburban areas across the country. About the only thing that could make them even cooler is if they would actually come up with a plan that works and catch that roadrunner once and for all.
Old 05-25-07, 03:23 AM
fish0n
Guy who likes to fish.

Bikes: '79 Schwinn Voyageur 11.8, '03 Fisher Tarpon

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by cradduck
Coyotes are cool. They are the great equalizer of small yippie dogs in suburban areas across the country. About the only thing that could make them even cooler is if they would actually come up with a plan that works and catch that roadrunner once and for all.

So you haven't heard? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJJW7EF5aVk

That is cool! I live near a butte and I can hear them calling at times. The coyote might be my favorite animal; yeah the wolf is awsome, but man tried to wipe out both the coyote and the wolf, and the coyote is the one that made it! Coyotes prefer to live near humans, our habitat allows them to find food easier. In fact there is an estimated 2,000...(or is 6,000, I forget exactly, we'll just go with 2,000 to be safe) living in L.A.!!! Coyotes aren't aggressive to humans? Sorry that just isn't true; yes many tend to be more timid towards humans, but there are many that are aggressive, and have kill people, yes even documented coyote killings in L.A. California! For the most part they shouldn't cause you any trouble. One type you want to say clear from is one that isn't afraid of humans, so don't feed them!

Recent Coyote Attacks: https://www.varmintal.com/attac.htm

Last edited by fish0n; 05-25-07 at 03:56 AM.
Old 05-25-07, 04:22 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Non aggressive? The city I work in has been having coyote issues. The coyotes have been snatching dogs and cats from backyards. Plus, following kids to bus stops. Well not following more like stalking. Guess we breed our coyotes a tad aggressive out here.
I have encountered a pair of large well fed coyotes in the same area.
Old 05-25-07, 07:02 AM
ItsJustMe
Señior Member

Bikes: Windsor Fens, Giant Seek 0 (2014, Alfine 8 + discs)

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 446 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 7 Posts
I saw a coyote on the way in yesterday morning. They're not a danger to adults. Probably not to small kids either unless the coyotes are hungry and the kids are wandering around in the woods alone.

Here's a picture. He beat it away from the road fast when he saw me stop and point something at him, but at first he was only about 30 feet away.
Old 05-25-07, 07:48 AM
mlh122

Bikes: Trek 4500

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I've been seeing a lot of coyotes lately. the rapid land development in our area is plowing through coyote habitat so they are "homeless". Then the new residents complain when a starving coyote eats their kitten. Now there's a big anti-coyote campaign as they've been a "major problem" ever since we started building, go figure.
Old 05-25-07, 07:54 AM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by DataJunkie
Non aggressive?
I believe he meant toward humans. Of course they'll be aggressive toward animals appropriately sized to be prey.
Old 05-25-07, 07:56 AM
DataJunkie

Liked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Well... they have been aggressive towards humans (supposedly). The two I encountered merely look curious. Still.. I like it when animals run away from me.
Old 05-25-07, 08:05 AM
steve2k
Senior Mumbler

Bikes: Ridgeback Voyage (for touring and commuting), unknown beach cruiser (for smiling)

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I live in England so I'm picturing a scraggly looking dog with rollerskates and a bright red ACME rocket on his back.
Old 05-25-07, 08:08 AM
RB1-luvr
I don't know.

Bikes: '90 B'stone RB-1, '92 B'stone RB-2, '89 SuperGo Access Comp, '03 Access 69er, '23 Trek 520, '14 Ritchey Road Logic, '09 Kestrel Evoke, '08 Windsor Tourist, '17 Surly Wednesday, '89 Centurion Accordo, '15 CruX, '17 Ridley X-Night, '89 Marinoni

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 853 Times in 446 Posts
a pack of 'em used to sit outside my house just inside the wooded line whispering "let the snacks out" (cats) at night. out my way they are very shaggy and kind of nasty looking. not healthy looking.
Old 05-25-07, 08:29 AM
Zeuser
e-Biker

Bikes: Gary Fisher, Strong GT-S eBike

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Non aggressive? The city I work in has been having coyote issues. The coyotes have been snatching dogs and cats from backyards. Plus, following kids to bus stops. Well not following more like stalking. Guess we breed our coyotes a tad aggressive out here.
I think he meant non agressive towards humans, at least adult humans. For the most part Coyotes are afraid of humans. I've run into a lot of them on my night rides in the woods and they often surprise me but they quickly run away.

I wish there were a little bit more because there are jackrabbits all over the trails at night. The little red-eyed furballs (their eyes reflect red when hit with light) wait 'til you're almost running them down before they take off. And boy are they fast! I rode side to side with one once and I looked down at my speedo... we were doing 42 km/h. Then he did a right hook into the brushes.

It seems the rabbit population is out of control. We need more coyotes around here to control the rabbits.
Old 05-25-07, 08:34 AM
thepeddler
Perth Western Australia

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
All I see is a kangaroo every now and again, not as exciting as a coyote!
Old 05-25-07, 09:10 AM
deputyjones
Striving for Fredness

Bikes: Old Giant Rincon

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice find. It is pretty rare to see a coyote by car unless they are very hungry or recently displaced like the building project talked about above. They are just to smart typically to be caught in the headlights of a car. I drive around all night in a high coyote concentration area, and I have seen 1 in all that time in my car.
Old 05-25-07, 09:29 AM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
Coyotes are pretty neat. They're adapting to urban environments surprisingly well, not always making the human inhabitants happy.

For those in England, coyotes occupy similar ecological niches to your red fox. They look quite a lot like a fox too - delicate little paws, a bushy tail, and slender muzzle. They mainly eat small rodents and insects but will also scavenge the kills of larger predators, dig through garbage, and sometimes even team up to take larger prey. They are very intelligent and quite social.

I like critters
Old 05-25-07, 09:39 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
I saw a coyote about a month ago just a mile down there road, right next to Panther Lake Elementary School. At first I didn't recognise what it was, because I didn't expect to see a coyote there. But then I realised that it was next to a greenbelt. I expect to see them down at the MUP--it's partially on a powerline right of way, and next to a creek--but to see one at the school was still an odd experience.

East Hill
Old 05-25-07, 10:23 AM
GCRyder

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's hard for me to imagine that seeing a coyote is something worth mentioning to someone else. I commute from the far east side of Tucson, near Saguaro National Park. If I do NOT see a coyote or two between my house and the first stop sign, now THAT is an occurrence worthy of note. Most mornings, I will have seen at least a half-dozen of them wandering through my yard before I even leave home for the day.

We do get some less common species, though. Here's one I found lurking in our yard weekend before last:
Old 05-25-07, 10:25 AM
Buglady

Bikes: 2018 Ghost Square Trekking B2.8 e-bike; 2015 MEC Cote gravel/touring bike; 1985 Boyes-Rosser tourer, now outfitted as Winter Trundle-bike

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Liked 22 Times in 16 Posts
KITTY!!!!

Ahem, sorry bout that...
Old 05-25-07, 10:36 AM
old and new

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Feeding them is associated with problems. Dogs kill approximately 100 people a year. in the US
Old 05-25-07, 10:42 AM
East Hill
Lanky Lass

Location: Take a deep breath, and ask--What would Sheldon do?

Bikes: Nishiki Nut! International, Pro, Olympic 12, Sport mixte, and others too numerous to mention.

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by GCRyder

We do get some less common species, though. Here's one I found lurking in our yard weekend before last:
I've only seen those big kitties three times in my life. Once was when I was viewing pronghorns in Nevada. I had crept close to the pronghorns by following a gully. Much to my surprise (and the bobcat's) I got within five feet of the cat. I have never seen an animal move so fast! Not even the pronghorns seemed to be that quick compared to that startled animal .

East Hill
Old 05-25-07, 11:02 AM
Ginny
Down 10# and 11 inches

Bikes: Jamis, Specialized, CoMotion

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
DJ, there is a pair that lives very near the Bear Creek Trail in Littleton. We see them in the evenings if we ride that trail. Usually they've caught something, probably one of the prairie dogs that also live on the trail. They are cool to see and we tell yippie dog walkers on the trail to watch out.
Old 05-25-07, 11:56 AM
lyeinyoureye
Senior Citizen

Bikes: yes

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by GCRyder
It's hard for me to imagine that seeing a coyote is something worth mentioning to someone else.
Yup. Every night they're yipping and every morning they're out. I'd love to catch a glimpse of a mountain lion, but at the same time wouldn't because they wouldn't because it'd probably scare the **** outa me.
Old 05-25-07, 12:06 PM
workingbike

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by East Hill
I've only seen those big kitties three times in my life. Once was when I was viewing pronghorns in Nevada. I had crept close to the pronghorns by following a gully. Much to my surprise (and the bobcat's) I got within five feet of the cat. I have never seen an animal move so fast! Not even the pronghorns seemed to be that quick compared to that startled animal .

East Hill
Are you talking about the cat or yourself?

Beautiful cat. Very cool to see one. On the subject of wildlife, we had a black bear sighting in the City yesterday.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.