Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Give me some solid info on Brooks Saddles...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 06-22-07, 01:35 PM
Eggplant Jeff
45 miles/week

Bikes: Jamis Aurora

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

So I've had a B17, but after riding it for a while (yeah sometimes when it was wetter than I should have been riding) it sagged a lot. I tightened it with the nose bolt etc etc. but I think part of my problem is that I'm a pretty big guy and supposedly the B17 is one of the thinner-leather models.

So anyway, I'm now looking for a saddle to replace the stock one on my fixie, and I'm considering trying a model other than the B17. Supposedly some (Team pro? Champion Special?) have thicker leather... Can anyone offer some concrete proof on that? Have you personally compared different models?

This bike has pretty low handlebars too so I don't mind one of the saddles that's slightly narrower than the B17, although I doubt I need something like a swallow.
Old 06-22-07, 01:46 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Bikes: Surly Big Dummy, Fuji World, 80ish Bianchi

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
The thickness of the leather is pretty standard among all the Brooks saddles, according to Brooks, contradicting the myths otherwise. That said, a Team Pro is pretty tough.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-22-07, 04:05 PM
Donkey Hodie
I like chrome.

Bikes: 1983 Specialized Stumpjumper, 1986 Mongoose ATB

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
shoot an email over to wallbike.com
He can answer any technical questions you have regarding the brooks saddles.
If you find out whats up with varying leather thicknesses, report back here with what you learned please.
Old 06-22-07, 04:24 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I thought the Champion Special was supposed to be a little thicker -- isn't that one of the things that justifies the extra cost over the standard, besides just the cosmetics of the copper rails/rivets and skiving of the edges? I seem to recall that Rivendell used to advertise the ChampSpecial as being thicker. So, yeah, I guess I'm also looking forward to hearing what they have to say at Wallingford if you hear back from them
Old 06-22-07, 05:00 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
I have 2 Champion Specials, 4 B17s and a Team Pro (plus another I just gave away)...the thickness of the leather is essentially the same on all of them (none of them are exactly the same, even on the same models). The only difference between the CS and a B17 is cosmetic. The Team Pro 'seems' thicker but in reality it just doesn't have as much 'give' due to the narrower frame and lack of holes in the top. The Team Pro is tougher to break in.
"Let us hope our weapons are never needed --but do not forget what the common people knew when they demanded the Bill of Rights: An armed citizenry is the first defense, the best defense, and the final defense against tyranny. If guns are outlawed, only the government will have guns. Only the police, the secret police, the military, the hired servants of our rulers. Only the government -- and a few outlaws. I intend to be among the outlaws" - Edward Abbey
Old 06-22-07, 05:09 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Okay Brooks users, I have a question for you. Currently I am using my stock Cannondale seat which probably resembles a baseball bat put small end up with a doiley for padding. I am seriously thinking of getting a seat and people seem to like the Brooks.

I ride over some pretty rough stuff - rocks, slow chickens, sand - not a lot of pavement. Is the Brooks good for that?

Secondly, the climate here is brutal on anything leather. We do have leather saddles but we have to keep them clean, etc. What do you think? Will the leather on the Brooks turn into a weird tropical fungus?

Hopefully this isn't a complete hi-jack of thread.
Old 06-22-07, 05:17 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by crtreedude
Okay Brooks users, I have a question for you. Currently I am using my stock Cannondale seat which probably resembles a baseball bat put small end up with a doiley for padding. I am seriously thinking of getting a seat and people seem to like the Brooks.

I ride over some pretty rough stuff - rocks, slow chickens, sand - not a lot of pavement. Is the Brooks good for that?

Secondly, the climate here is brutal on anything leather. We do have leather saddles but we have to keep them clean, etc. What do you think? Will the leather on the Brooks turn into a weird tropical fungus?

I've lived in Hawaii and SC which are pretty humid and spent time in various VERY humid locations around the pacific rim (Phillipines for example, where I was lucky to have a pair of combat boots last more than a couple of weeks). If you take care of it, it should be fine. Proofide treatments and letting it dry well in the sun is the ticket. For rough terrain, you might like one of the sprung models.
Old 06-22-07, 05:28 PM
crtreedude 
Third World Layabout

Bikes: Cannondale F900 and Tandem

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 397 Post(s)
Liked 32 Times in 22 Posts
Thanks, I might just go with it then. It is worth a shot. As I said, we have saddles and such and with care, leather does fine here.
Old 06-22-07, 05:43 PM
ginsoakedboy
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I'll defer to chipcom and his experience with several models. I only have one, so nothing to compare and contrast with. Nonetheless, I did go back to look at the Rivendell site, and they advertise their Honey ChampSpecial as being thicker than the standard. Don't know if Riv has their facts wrong, or maybe they're getting Brooks to make something special for them. Check the link: https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/saddl...ies/11006.html
Old 06-22-07, 05:46 PM
chipcom 
Infamous Member

Liked 4 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by ginsoakedboy
I'll defer to chipcom and his experience with several models. I only have one, so nothing to compare and contrast with. Nonetheless, I did go back to look at the Rivendell site, and they advertise their Honey ChampSpecial as being thicker than the standard. Don't know if Riv has their facts wrong, or maybe they're getting Brooks to make something special for them. Check the link: https://www.rivbike.com/webalog/saddl...ies/11006.html
Riv are not the only ones who claim this - it's a pretty widespread myth. But this was discussed once long ago and someone got it straight from Brooks that it is not the case. IMO, the best way to clarify again, would be to contact Brooks, rather than someone who sells them.
Old 06-22-07, 05:59 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Eggy, you ride in all sorts of weather. That sagging could be from rain water soaking in and stretching the leather as you ride. I think you're supposed to cover it with a water poof liner of some sort.

My Team Professional arrives next week. With our rains, I plan on covering it year 'round.

Last edited by vrkelley; 06-22-07 at 09:13 PM.
Old 06-22-07, 06:08 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
maybe you could punch a few holes and lace your old saggy b17 - should make it stiffer
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
b17lace2.jpg (35.7 KB, 43 views)
Old 06-22-07, 06:14 PM
JumboRider

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
CR,
I am a big guy-353 and have a b-67. In all of my days riding my tush has never felt so good on a bike seat. The real news is that I simply don't even think about it.
Old 06-22-07, 06:47 PM
Daily Commute
Ride the Road

Bikes: Surly Cross-Check; hard tail MTB

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Donkey Hodie
shoot an email over to wallbike.com
He can answer any technical questions you have regarding the brooks saddles.
If you find out whats up with varying leather thicknesses, report back here with what you learned please.
And I've had really good experiences dealine with wallbike.com customer service. They're a class act.

Any Brooks saddle will serve you well. Just treat it nice with their wax. When it rains, I use a grocery bag to cover it.
Old 06-22-07, 07:52 PM
donnamb 
tired

Bikes: Breezer Uptown 8, U frame

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I understand there is a Brooks model made specifically for third world country bikers, crtreedude. India can be very humid in places, and I believe it was originally designed for such a climate. I would check out their website, and perhaps email them directly. I would hope they could give you better advice for where you live than any of us.
"Real wars of words are harder to win. They require thought, insight, precision, articulation, knowledge, and experience. They require the humility to admit when you are wrong. They recognize that the dialectic is not about making us look at you, but about us all looking together for the truth."
Old 06-22-07, 08:29 PM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

The Conquest is supposed to be a mountain bike saddle. Supposed to be nice for commuters as well. Its the saddle I am probably going to get. Its slightly narrower then the B17, and has some stiff springs:

https://www.wallbike.com/Conquest.html
Old 06-22-07, 08:37 PM
SDRider
Cat None

Bikes: LOOK KG 461, LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er 0

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
God I wish I still had my mid 70's Motobecane LeChampion...I'd forgive the guy who stole it from my garage in Hermosa Beach during the early 90s just to have it back...It was champaign color and it had sewups...god I loved that bike...

Oh, and it had a Brooks saddle. All I remember about the saddle was polishing the rivets and treating the leather. It was very comfortable but I haven't found modern saddles to be uncomfortable so I'm really unwilling to devote the time/discomfort to breaking in a new Brooks saddle...especially since I have two road bikes that I alternate riding regularly.
Old 06-22-07, 09:13 PM
vrkelley
Enjoy

Bikes: Trek 5200

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by seeker333
maybe you could punch a few holes and lace your old saggy b17 - should make it stiffer
Punch? Punch? You'd need a drill to go through that leather!
Old 06-22-07, 09:31 PM
seeker333
-

Bikes: yes!

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 282 Post(s)
Liked 38 Times in 36 Posts
Originally Posted by vrkelley
Punch? Punch? You'd need a drill to go through that leather!
actually, they make punches for leatherworking. they cut a cleaner hole.

https://cgi.ebay.com/9-Pcs-Hollow-Lea...QQcmdZViewItem
Old 06-22-07, 11:51 PM
Allen

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 10 Times in 9 Posts
Originally Posted by donnamb
I understand there is a Brooks model made specifically for third world country bikers, crtreedude. India can be very humid in places, and I believe it was originally designed for such a climate. I would check out their website, and perhaps email them directly. I would hope they could give you better advice for where you live than any of us.
I believe they are referring more to the quality of the roads.
That said, the Harris Cyclery site lists the heavily sprung B33, B73, and B135 as saddles for third world roads.
Of the three the B33 has the widest top, and the B73, and B135 have the same top as the B66.
I've ridden all three, of the group I prefer the ride of the B135, it's a little less bouncy than the others.
Old 06-23-07, 12:24 AM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
I believe they are referring more to the quality of the roads.
That said, the Harris Cyclery site lists the heavily sprung B33, B73, and B135 as saddles for third world roads.
Of the three the B33 has the widest top, and the B73, and B135 have the same top as the B66.
I've ridden all three, of the group I prefer the ride of the B135, it's a little less bouncy than the others.
Have you ever tried out the Conquest? The guy who runs the wallbike store says somewhere that he uses it, for commuting, so I assume its good. I am still worried about the springs a bit, are they bouncy at all (if you've owned one that is....maybe somebody else will chime in if not) ? Do they lose tension when they get old, and become boingier? If so, maybe a springless saddle would be better. I do ride over a few chewed up roads though, that need repair. Snow plows are hard on the roads around here.
Old 06-23-07, 12:35 AM
Allen

I've not tried the Conquest. I keep a B66 Champion, which Brooks replaced with the Champion Flyer (the B66 Champ is a double rail, the Champ Flyer is a single rail), on my commuter, and a Champ Flyer on my mountain bike. The springs on the Champ/Champ Flyer are not as stiff as the ones on the Conquest, other wise the saddles are about the same, and neither have much bounce to them.
You can really feel the "third world saddles" move underneath you. Not so much with the other sprung models.
Old 06-23-07, 12:48 AM
Cyclist0383
Banned

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by pedalMonger
Have you ever tried out the Conquest? The guy who runs the wallbike store says somewhere that he uses it, for commuting, so I assume its good. I am still worried about the springs a bit, are they bouncy at all (if you've owned one that is....maybe somebody else will chime in if not) ? Do they lose tension when they get old, and become boingier? If so, maybe a springless saddle would be better. I do ride over a few chewed up roads though, that need repair. Snow plows are hard on the roads around here.
They aren't bouncy at all and the springs don't loose tension when they get old. It's a fine saddle.
Old 06-23-07, 12:50 AM
pedalMonger
Erectible Member

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by AllenG
I've not tried the Conquest. I keep a B66 Champion, which Brooks replaced with the Champion Flyer (the B66 Champ is a double rail, the Champ Flyer is a single rail), on my commuter, and a Champ Flyer on my mountain bike. The springs on the Champ/Champ Flyer are not as stiff as the ones on the Conquest, other wise the saddles are about the same, and neither have much bounce to them.
You can really feel the "third world saddles" move underneath you. Not so much with the other sprung models.

Conquest sounds like what I want then, if its stiffer then the other sprung (or is it sprang? or springed?) models. Not riding with dropped bars, but I don't put all my weight on the saddle, I "lean" on the flat bars a lot, amd pedal aggresively at times.

I can see why you'd want a cushier saddle after reading about the car wreck you were in on the foo staple thread. How are you healing up from the recent love fest with the semi?

Thanks as well Ziemas.
Old 06-23-07, 04:40 PM
Allen

I'm coming along ok. My left hand is in a cast for a few weeks. It doesn't hurt any more and I've learned to quit conking my self in the head with the cast but it itches, I'm going to chew it off in my sleep.

The bike has come back to life thanks to one of my neighbors.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.