Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Are there any trunk racks that snap onto pannier racks?

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Search this Thread

Old 08-03-18, 08:03 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I have a new Trek Super Commuter 8s and it has pannier racks but no trunk rack. The fender is integrated into the stock setup and I'd like to keep that. Trek makes a rack that I could use if I pull the current setup but I'd lose the fender.

So I was hoping - and have been searching for - a trunk rack that would clip or mount to the top of the panniers.

Has anyone seen one?
Old 08-03-18, 09:19 PM
MAK

Bikes: Yes, I have bikes.

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 106 Times in 65 Posts
Performance bike sells the Transit Seatpost Rack. It doesn't attach to the pannier rack but as its name states, it attaches to the seatpost. It will fit your bike well. There used to be two models; one with a quick release and one that attaches with four bolts. I have the four bolt model which works well. I'm sure other companies make similar products.
Old 08-03-18, 09:30 PM
elcraft
elcraft

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 144 Post(s)
Liked 103 Times in 72 Posts
Check out the offerings from Topeak:
https://www.topeak.com/global/de/products/
Old 08-04-18, 08:32 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
Originally Posted by MadProphet
I have a new Trek Super Commuter 8s and it has pannier racks but no trunk rack. The fender is integrated into the stock setup and I'd like to keep that. Trek makes a rack that I could use if I pull the current setup but I'd lose the fender.

So I was hoping - and have been searching for - a trunk rack that would clip or mount to the top of the panniers.

Has anyone seen one?
Some editorializing first: That's just a stupid design! Not everyone needs panniers every time they go for a ride. The rear deck of racks is more useful than the sides for most commuters. If nothing else, it gives you some extra space. And what is the fender made of? Metal or plastic? Metal is too heavy and plastic is too delicate for a support member. And what happens when you put a load on the "rack", does it push down on the fender and cause tire rub? 'Tis a dumb idea.

Now that's off my chest, a solution. Ditch the stupid rack. Get a real rack with a real deck. You will probably have to use P-clips to hold the upper stays on the rack. (I would suggest Tubus rack clamps over p-clips because they are stronger and easier to use.) Attach the fender to the seat stay bridge either with a bolt (hopefully there is one under the bridge) or with a ziptie. You'll have to drill a hole (maybe two) in the fender. I just found out that they make these cable tie mounts which should be perfect for this application if you don't have a bolt. You could use a nylon screw to keep the weight down since this doesn't have a load on it.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Likes For cyccommute:
Old 08-04-18, 03:30 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Bikes: 2013 Trek DS 8.3 (sold) '13 Trek Domane 2.0 (sold) '18 Trek Super Commuter 8s

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
First, some clarification. The pannier / fender combo on the 8s doesn't use the fender as part of the support for the combo, rather, the fender uses the rack as mounting points to be more secure than typical fenders. The rack itself is quite beefy and the combo seems to work well.
Which is why I was hoping I could find a trunk rack that simply snapped (with some form of "locking" to prevent it taking flight after a good bump) on to the existing setup. I have a larger Topeak bag that I can strap on using the velcro straps. The fender is strong enough not to bow but neither the bike nor the bag were meant to be used like this and getting the straps tight is an exercise in patience. Not my strong suit.
I'm not sure how many bikes offer a setup like this, so I've no idea whether offering my solution is something anyone has considered. Just hoping someone had seen one.

OH - and regarding seatpost racks, I added a Cirrus BodyFloat seatpost so that option is kinda off the table.
Old 08-04-18, 09:17 PM
alan s 

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1496 Post(s)
Liked 189 Times in 128 Posts
Ortlieb makes a trunk bag that attaches to the rails of most racks.

Old 08-05-18, 08:59 AM
Bug Shield

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked 20 Times in 13 Posts
I have an old Trek Interchange rack and trunk bag that snap together perfectly but I don't know if all Trek racks are Interchange compatible, ever were compatible, or if the Interchange system is still a thing.

I do like the rack and trunk bag and think it would be worth asking a Trek dealer or perhaps submitting the question to Trek directly.
Old 08-05-18, 10:19 AM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6201 Post(s)
Liked 4,204 Times in 2,358 Posts
First, some clarification. The pannier / fender combo on the 8s doesn't use the fender as part of the support for the combo, rather, the fender uses the rack as mounting points to be more secure than typical fenders. The rack itself is quite beefy and the combo seems to work well.
Which is why I was hoping I could find a trunk rack that simply snapped (with some form of "locking" to prevent it taking flight after a good bump) on to the existing setup. I have a larger Topeak bag that I can strap on using the velcro straps. The fender is strong enough not to bow but neither the bike nor the bag were meant to be used like this and getting the straps tight is an exercise in patience. Not my strong suit.
I'm not sure how many bikes offer a setup like this, so I've no idea whether offering my solution is something anyone has considered. Just hoping someone had seen one.

OH - and regarding seatpost racks, I added a Cirrus BodyFloat seatpost so that option is kinda off the table.
I think you underestimate the role of the fender. Looking at pictures of the rack attachment, it appears to be quite conventional. It's just a bolt through an eyelet. There is nothing keeping the rack from rotating forward or backwards except the fender attachment. In other words the fender serves the same function as rack stay for a regular rack. If you were to unbolt the fender from the rack, the rack would simple rotate forward or back just like a "normal" rack if you removed the upper stays.

As for attaching something for a deck, I just don't see how it could be attached. You would have to build something for a trunk bag to rest on using the ends of the rack that extend up past the fenders. That's not going to be trivial. And if you got a bag with velcro straps, it wouldn't be all that stable for the attachment. It would have to balance on the round parts of the rack and would tend to tip from side to side.

If you want a deck on the rack, you'll either have to do the seatpost rack mount...Uff!...or just get a better rack.

Originally Posted by alan s
But they still need to be racks with flat tops. None of the trunk bag mounts that Ortlieb has offered in the past or now would do the job. They simply can't attach to that configuration.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 08-05-18, 12:01 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I stand corrected. Furthermore, after I actually spent more time than just a passing glance, I realized how substantial the fender is. The front is plastic and not exactly tough. The rear is metal (and indeed does more than just ride along with the rack) and solid.

I think my ideas are not being visualized the way I'm intending. I know the existing setup is strong since I read Thule has a child seat that can be mounted.

In the end, it was just a question I had for a product I thought might be useful.
Old 08-05-18, 12:09 PM
WillAdams

Bikes: Montague Swissbike X50

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by alan s
Ortlieb Trunk Bag RC (roll closure --- new one), and Ortlieb Trunk Bag (zipper --- the original one).

I just bought one, and it's quite nice, except the clips are designed to be reversible, with this feature facilitating their use on wider racks --- unfortunately, my rack has a solid bar under it which interferes with operating the release mechanism when its reversed, so I've found it somewhat problematic (and of course, it had to bump off at a bit of construction on the first day I used it, so wound up with some holes which I need to have repaired (under their warranty).
Old 08-05-18, 01:24 PM
angerdan

Quoted: 126 Post(s)
Liked 7 Times in 7 Posts
Topeak Quicktrack

Originally Posted by elcraft
Check out the offerings from Topeak
Great supplier for trunk racks and rack packs! Check the Quicktrack system (:
topeak.com/global/en/technology/10-quicktrack%e2%84%a2

topeak.com/global/en/products/rear-rack-bags/122-mtx-trunkbag-dxp
topeak.com/global/en/products/racks

Last edited by angerdan; 08-05-18 at 01:29 PM.
Likes For angerdan:
Old 08-05-18, 02:41 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The Ortlieb trunks deserve a closer look. If you take a look at pictures of my bike, you'll see the fender rises a bit above the pannier rails, so my only question will be if the mechanism Ortlieb uses will permit that height difference. Might be worth an Amazon order. I've had their products before on my recumbent trike and I know they are high quality.

If I were a bit more mechanically inclined, I'm quite sure an afternoon with a welder and some steel rod would yield a more perfect solution.
Old 06-09-20, 12:04 PM
willcasp 

Bikes: 2020 Trek Top Fuel Project One, 2021 Pivot Point

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
The Ortlieb trunks deserve a closer look. If you take a look at pictures of my bike, you'll see the fender rises a bit above the pannier rails, so my only question will be if the mechanism Ortlieb uses will permit that height difference. Might be worth an Amazon order. I've had their products before on my recumbent trike and I know they are high quality.

If I were a bit more mechanically inclined, I'm quite sure an afternoon with a welder and some steel rod would yield a more perfect solution.
Did you find a solution to this issue? I have the same bike, and I am looking at trunk solutions.
Old 06-09-20, 12:20 PM
MadProphet
Drink my Koolaid

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by willcasp
Did you find a solution to this issue? I have the same bike, and I am looking at trunk solutions.
Sadly, no. Shortly after this post, the majority of the town I live in burned in the Camp Fire. Didn’t ride at all for the year we were displaced and haven’t got back on since we’ve been back. By coincidence, I charged the battery this past weekend and was thinking of going out today. Most of the roads I rode regularly have been damaged but dump trucks and heavy equipment, so I’ll be relegated to the six mile bike trail. If it’s all good, I’ll be revisiting this. Still thinking a welder is the solution.
Old 06-09-20, 12:37 PM
DiabloScott
It's MY mountain

Bikes: Klein, Merckx, Trek

Mentioned: 70 Post(s)
Quoted: 4336 Post(s)
Liked 2,977 Times in 1,614 Posts
I have one of these seatpost racks I'll give you for the postage..
... it's like this but the full-sized version.

https://iberausa.com/product/ibera-s...hoCyHwQAvD_BwE

I see they're out of the rack/pack combo. You need the Ibera trunk bag which I have but am keeping... you can probably still find the commuter pack though.
The seatpost rack puts the weight up kind of high, and I have the regular rack now.

Last edited by DiabloScott; 06-09-20 at 12:40 PM.
Old 06-13-20, 09:55 AM
fietsbob
Banned

Bikes: 8

Mentioned: 197 Post(s)
Quoted: 7607 Post(s)
Liked 1,355 Times in 862 Posts
there is a Bontrager/ Trek rack & a bag combo , the simple one uses velcro straps the deluxe bag has the clips..
Or was a year ago LBS had them there..
Old 06-13-20, 11:20 AM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Possible Solution

I found something. I am working with my local Trek bike shop to see if this solves it. Looks to keep the existing fender intact. I found the thread here, for reference: ... well, I don't have enough points to post the URL..

Picture of bike with rack, and description. "The rack is a Bontrager BackRack model 14631. The eyelets on the front of the rack attach to a Bontrager eyeleted quick release seatpost clamp and it is installed over the existing rack.

I am carrying a lot of weight in the bag with the two batteries and I am moving fast sometimes going off of curbs. The first rack and bag combo I used did not work out, I broke a suspended seatpost rack and once the bag literally bounced off. For these reasons I specifically did not want the snap on version used with this excellent Topeak bag. The one I have is attached with velcro straps and I then have multiple zip ties securing it. I never remove it."

.... and, I can't post the picture, because I don't have 10 points..
Old 06-15-20, 01:51 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
I have made my own with a Racktime rack, their Snap-It accessory, and an Arkel Tailrider. Clips in and out super easy.

Racktime SnapIt

Arkel Tailrider

Old 06-15-20, 01:57 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by ChinookTx
I have made my own with a Racktime rack, their Snap-It accessory, and an Arkel Tailrider. Clips in and out super easy.
You did this on the Trek Super Commuter? The mount at the top looks like it may work, but the picture of the bike is totally different...
Old 06-15-20, 02:12 PM
ChinookTx

Bikes: Lynskey GR270

Quoted: 115 Post(s)
Liked 69 Times in 49 Posts
You did this on the Trek Super Commuter? The mount at the top looks like it may work, but the picture of the bike is totally different...
No I did not, can't read, move along! Sorry, I missed the part "The fender is integrated" :-(
Old 06-26-20, 07:04 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Good news! I have a solution that looks like it will work. You need 4 parts. I need to get two of them, once I have that, I will post photos.
Bontrager Rack part 582181 ($44.99 USD at the Trek store in Redmond, WA)
Bontrager Seatpost bracket part 415188 ($11.99 USD at the Trek store in Redmond, WA)
2 x bolts (this is what I am missing, I assumed they were M5, they are bigger!)

This rack will mount over the existing fender, so that leaves things intact. You unbold the fender from its "rack mounts" near the wheels. Put the rack on, and use longer bolts to hold the rack and fender on. You then mount the front of the rack to the seat post bracket.

There may be rub with the rack and the front part of the rack that is on the fender. Hard to tell when I can't completely bolt it down.
The Trek shop said they had bolts, so I will go back and pick some up. I thought that I had them, apparently, I don't!
Old 06-26-20, 07:06 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Now that I can post pictures and links, here is what I expect it to look like, based on what someone else out there in web-land did. This has the previous generation rack part number.

Old 06-29-20, 11:03 PM
willcasp 

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Here is the final solution:
Parts you need
Bontrager Rack part 582181 ($44.99 USD at the Trek store in Redmond, WA)
Bontrager Seatpost bracket part 415188 ($11.99 USD at the Trek store in Redmond, WA)
2 x M6 40mm.
Hack Saw (nice hedge clippers seem to work.)
First, the finished result

Mods to existing kit
- you will need to saw off the extra length on the rail that attaches the rack to the seat post, as you can see here. I need to saw some more off.

The final change, the M6 bolts. The fenders on the bike use M6 bolts. The rack kit comes with M5 bolts, as just about every rack does. M5 bolt heads mount flush into the rack. You may be able to drill out the rack to get the M6 bolts to fit in, I did not bother with that. 45mm bolts are a little too long, 40mm seems to work. This bolt will go through the rack, through the existing fender mount, and in to the bike where the fender currently mounts. You can see the stainless steel bolt in this picture.