Notices
Cyclocross and Gravelbiking (Recreational) This has to be the most physically intense sport ever invented. It's high speed bicycle racing on a short off road course or riding the off pavement rides on gravel like :The Dirty Kanza". We also have a dedicated Racing forum for the Cyclocross Hard Core Racers.

fast rolling gravel tires

Old 06-29-20, 05:18 AM
bretton007

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
fast rolling gravel tires

I have a giant revolt . I am looking for the fastest rolling tire possible . I use the bike 60 percent road and 40 percent hard pack trails . Any recommendations
Old 06-29-20, 07:04 AM
aggiegrads

Mentioned: 15 Post(s)
Quoted: 157 Post(s)
Liked 58 Times in 42 Posts
If all you care about is rolling resistance, just go buy at the top of the chart: https://www.bicyclerollingresistance.com

The best tire is much more complicated - what provides the best grip, best cornering, if you want to be able to run tubeless, flat resistance, multi surface, etc. There is a lot to read here, I would start with some searches.
Old 06-29-20, 07:13 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 237 Posts
As mentioned, lots of factors, are there any loose surfaces, gravel, sand, etc. where you would want some tread, or is it all hardpack? What's your size, and offroad handling skills? Lots of factors to determine tire size and type. But typically, a slick will be fastest for road/smooth hardpack. If you need some tread, then Continental Terra Speed or Schwalbe G-One Allround are the fastest knobbed tires.
Old 06-29-20, 07:30 AM
bretton007

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by Rides4Beer View Post
As mentioned, lots of factors, are there any loose surfaces, gravel, sand, etc. where you would want some tread, or is it all hardpack? What's your size, and offroad handling skills? Lots of factors to determine tire size and type. But typically, a slick will be fastest for road/smooth hardpack. If you need some tread, then Continental Terra Speed or Schwalbe G-One Allround are the fastest knobbed tires.

I have the G ones now , I find them a bit slow on pavement which I ride 60% of the time . Maybe its me ,I have nothing to compare them to . Its time for new tires so I want to make sure I get the right ones. Thanks
Old 06-29-20, 07:34 AM
Rides4Beer

Bikes: Defy | Revolt

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 531 Post(s)
Liked 424 Times in 237 Posts
Originally Posted by bretton007 View Post
I have the G ones now , I find them a bit slow on pavement which I ride 60% of the time . Maybe its me ,I have nothing to compare them to . Its time for new tires so I want to make sure I get the right ones. Thanks
Which model of G-One do you have? They have four levels. If you have the Bite or UltraBite, I would expect those to be a lil slower on pavement. The Allrounds have tested pretty fast, about the same as the Conti Terra Speed (the Terra Speeds get a slight edge at lower pressures). Also depends on the size, being a bigger guy, I like a lil more tire, so I stick with 40mm, but I know guys that tear up the gravel on 30-32s, but they have better handling skills than me. lol
Old 06-29-20, 07:46 AM
wgscott
Occam's Rotor

Mentioned: 61 Post(s)
Quoted: 2366 Post(s)
Liked 1,105 Times in 569 Posts
Rene Herse.
Old 06-29-20, 11:18 PM
basscadet

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I ride on G one all arounds in 35mm at 70 psi, tubed. That’s max pressure, but I’m 180lbs and the ride is plenty comfortable.

these tires are awesome, I pass road nerds with their silly tights and tiny tires all the time. : )
Old 06-30-20, 05:31 AM
GrainBrain

Bikes: LeMond Zurich, Giant Talon 29er

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 818 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 99 Posts
Originally Posted by wgscott View Post
Rene Herse.
I've been meaning to ask if you have a separate thread on these or could recommend one. I've been giving a hard look at the Barlow Pass TC (700cx38mm). Are there any long term reviews on the differences between the three "grades", ExtraLight - Standard - Endurance? What version would work the best setup tubeless and ridden on "Midwest" gravel - quarried limestone rock under 7/8" aggregate without much sharp edges.

Then I've also been looking at Rene Herse's knobby version of the Barlow, I wonder how they wear?

To the OP, I have considered running GP5k at 32mm, but my gravel is a little too loose. They might work really well on just hard packed dirt. I currently have WTB riddler's in a 37mm, they came stock but had the best over all score compared to other tires (price, grip, speed, toughness). I've quickly worked away the back center nubs, but still have the side lugs. They're fairly quick, I run them at 40/50 on pavement. I'd be hard pressed to buy them again right away though, I'd like to try Continentals Terra speed.