Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electric Bikes
Reload this Page >

Low Speed Stability

Search
Notices
Electric Bikes Here's a place to discuss ebikes, from home grown to high-tech.

Low Speed Stability

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-24, 08:58 PM
George Mann

Bikes: 2017 Raleigh RetroGlide iE

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked 23 Times in 18 Posts
Originally Posted by veganbikes
I know the bike well, we sold a couple back in the day, it is a cheaper bike.
But cheaper doesn't mean cheap. I haven't found a single under $2k ebike that compares with its overall quality, and the majority of the under $1k conventional bikes are inferior as well.

My old '76 Raleigh Sports was of superior quality, and weighed 45lbs. I don't remember the riding dynamics of it to be too noticeably different, and I was much younger and heathier at the time.

A Raleigh Superbe weighed 52lbs!
Old 03-29-24, 09:23 PM
veganbikes
Clark W. Griswold

Bikes: Foundry Chilkoot Ti W/Ultegra Di2, Salsa Timberjack Ti, Cinelli Mash Work RandoCross Fun Time Machine, 1x9 XT Parts Hybrid, Co-Motion Cascadia, Specialized Langster, Phil Wood Apple VeloXS Frame (w/DA 7400), R+M Supercharger2 Rohloff, Habanero Ti 26

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 4357 Post(s)
Liked 3,995 Times in 2,666 Posts
Originally Posted by George Mann
But cheaper doesn't mean cheap. I haven't found a single under $2k ebike that compares with its overall quality, and the majority of the under $1k conventional bikes are inferior as well.

My old '76 Raleigh Sports was of superior quality, and weighed 45lbs. I don't remember the riding dynamics of it to be too noticeably different, and I was much younger and heathier at the time.

A Raleigh Superbe weighed 52lbs!
I mean the Retroglide IE wasn't a particularly exceptional bike, Raleigh is on the way out these days and has been for a while. It is sad but it is unfortunately the truth. There are plenty of similar bikes to it on the market at that 2k mark. This would be one that while not a great bike has a great motor and punches pretty high for the price it is the Ride1 Up Prodigy which in this iteration has a Brose mid-drive.

I am not a vintage Raleigh expert by any means but if memory serves the Sports and Superbe were more on the entry level of things, granted back then that meant a lot more than it does now and they were good quality bikes but not designed for lightweight anything.
Old 04-04-24, 11:11 AM
grumpus

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 500 Post(s)
Liked 435 Times in 334 Posts
Originally Posted by Schweinhund
A bike has two gyroscopes. the lighter those gyrocopes, the quicker they spin up. the more mass, the greater gyro effect.
So a 16/20" bike like a folding bike has a greater stability at a slower actual speed.
A cruiser doesn't have that going for it, so you're pretty much limited to larger lighter wheels and a smaller front chainring or very small wheels and normal gearing to increase the reciprocating gyroscopic effect. (cranks/wheels turning)
​​​​​​ITYF that gyroscopic effect has been shown to have minimal influence on the stability of a bike, such that you might notice it when riding no-hands, but not otherwise, certainly not when starting from stationary. Motorcycle wheels do exhibit gyroscopic behaviour, but they are more massive and spinning faster.