Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > General Cycling Discussion
Reload this Page >

Bike gadgets and stuff that improves the experience

Search
Notices
General Cycling Discussion Have a cycling related question or comment that doesn't fit in one of the other specialty forums? Drop on in and post in here! When possible, please select the forum above that most fits your post!

Bike gadgets and stuff that improves the experience

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-24, 08:59 AM
Yan 

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1963 Post(s)
Liked 647 Times in 443 Posts
I think I'm going to buy that cheaper SMP Well model and test how I get on with the shape.
Old 04-04-24, 09:06 AM
Polaris OBark
ignominious poltroon

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 2241 Post(s)
Liked 3,443 Times in 1,802 Posts
Shouldn't this be in the Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets subforum?
Likes For Polaris OBark:
Old 04-04-24, 09:07 AM
Koyote

Mentioned: 38 Post(s)
Quoted: 6972 Post(s)
Liked 10,968 Times in 4,692 Posts
Originally Posted by genejockey
Exactly what I was going to post. I've heard some way, "What good is it? What are you going to do, head for the ditch?", but it's not so you can avoid being run over from behind. It's so you know when it's safe to leave the bike lane to pass a slower rider, or for when you need to cross traffic lanes, like for a left turn or getting past freeway on ramps. It's not a substitute for looking over your shoulder. It's a supplement to it.
Out here in Gravel Central, the smoothest line might be down the middle of the road or even all the way to the left side of the road. Between the sound of my tires crunching the gravel, the wind, and my lousy hearing, I might not hear a vehicle coming up behind me; in those situations, the Varia is great.

When I'm commuting through town I usually don't bother to even mount the Varia, since it'd beep at me the whole way. It's really not terribly useful in traffic.
Old 04-04-24, 09:14 AM
genejockey 
Klaatu..Verata..Necktie?

Bikes: Litespeed Ultimate, Ultegra; Canyon Endurace, 105; Battaglin MAX, Chorus; Bianchi 928 Veloce; Ritchey Road Logic, Dura Ace; Cannondale R500 RX100; Schwinn Circuit, Sante; Lotus Supreme, Dura Ace

Mentioned: 41 Post(s)
Quoted: 10435 Post(s)
Liked 11,912 Times in 6,100 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Out here in Gravel Central, the smoothest line might be down the middle of the road or even all the way to the left side of the road. Between the sound of my tires crunching the gravel, the wind, and my lousy hearing, I might not hear a vehicle coming up behind me; in those situations, the Varia is great.

When I'm commuting through town I usually don't bother to even mount the Varia, since it'd beep at me the whole way. It's really not terribly useful in traffic.
I have had it drain the battery on my Garmin 520 on long rides when there's lots of traffic. I figured out how to stop it lighting up the screen every time it beeped, which saves a lot of power.

Last two nights, riding the newly rebuilt Circuit for the first shakedown rides, I skipped head unit, lights, etc. and just rode it old school. And really missed the Varia!

"Everybody's gotta be somewhere." - Eccles
Likes For genejockey:
Old 04-04-24, 09:40 AM
Low Gear Louie
Rider of Unpainted Roads

Bikes: *Surly Bridge Club, *Surly Ogre, *Specialized Expedition (1983)

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by easyupbug
Having seen a horrible commuter "car doored" - bike lanes, and a serious crash looking back, Bike Peddlers - Take A Look Mirror.
Your reply is good advice for urban riding. My riding is strictly out in the country with low traffic. Before I enter a blind curve or blind hill, I must absolutely know if there is a car approaching. I also ride trails a lot, and faster riders many times give no warning they are about to pass you-quite dangerous. Happens all the time.

Last edited by Low Gear Louie; 04-04-24 at 11:13 AM. Reason: misread post I was commenting on
Old 04-04-24, 03:37 PM
SoSmellyAir
Method to My Madness

Bikes: Trek FX 2, Cannondale Synapse, Cannondale CAAD4, Santa Cruz Stigmata GRX

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 1948 Post(s)
Liked 1,471 Times in 1,020 Posts
Originally Posted by Koyote
Before buying a Varia, I also thought it would not be useful in a suburban environment. But it turns out to be great for (a) crossing lanes to make left turns, and (b) moving out of bike lanes impeded by maintenance vehicles, speed warning radars, and parents waiting to pick up their kids from school. If the definition of gadgets excludes apparel and components, a Varia would definitely top the list.
Old 04-05-24, 08:30 AM
Brocephus
Professional amateur

Bikes: Does a Big Wheel count ?

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 302 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 92 Posts
I'm late to this thread, so probably nothing new here, but at the top of my list is my packable Pearl Izumi wind vest and Columbia fleece neck gaiter. Those two are worth their weight in gold !!
Old 04-05-24, 11:32 AM
Smaug1
Commuter

Bikes: Main Bikes: 2023 Trek Domane AL3, 2022 Aventon Level.2 eBike, 1972 Schwinn Varsity, 2024 Priority Apollo 11

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 238 Post(s)
Liked 323 Times in 196 Posts
The GoPro will not improve your cycling experience, but will let you share it, if you're willing to put a lot of time into video editing.

Here are the products that have really improved my cycling experience over the last year:

Cat Ears, to protect my hearing from wind blast:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01H2LSOQ6...t_details&th=1

Fender set, so I can ride right after a rain and not get my clothes dirty:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07P93NMHL...t_details&th=1

A high quality folding lock, with a holder that doesn't let it rattle and which mounts to bottle cage bosses:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B5V9WK1Q...t_details&th=1

A good helmet-mounted mirror makes it SO easy to ride safely in traffic!
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

A chest strap heart rate monitor to pair with my GPS lets me know how many calories I burn on a ride and if I'm in the safe zone for heart rate. (sometimes I go overboard)

Gel pads to go under my handlebar tape wrap; keeps my hands "awake" longer on those long road rides:

This chain cleaner makes chain maintenance a lot less dirty and time-consuming:

No affiliation with any of those product mfrs.