Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Removable Trunk and Bag

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Removable Trunk and Bag

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-12, 06:25 PM
addictedhealer

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Removable Trunk and Bag

I'm looking for a good trunk and bag that comes off in a flash. I like the trunk and bag I have now but sometimes I would like to go for a ride with out it. I think the bike looks better with out. Anybody have any direction for me?

Thanks.
Old 06-17-12, 06:45 PM
chisler

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent FT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
visit topeak.com and browse their bags category. The MTX trunks are rather 'handy' for commuting type situations. I would not rely on the DXP model for a full pannier however. (I do own the DXP)
Old 06-17-12, 07:57 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
Just about any trunk bag with a QR system will require you to get a new rack from the same manufacturer. Topeak is one example, but you should also check out Racktime products- which is a budget brand of Ortlieb.

Or depending on your cargo capacity needs and budget, you could look at Arkel. The Tailrider bag with the Randoneur (sp?) rack would make for a good combo as well.
Old 06-17-12, 08:31 PM
ratdog

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I use a $20 Nashbar rack trunk bag that has velcro strips up the side and can put it on and take it off in less than a minute. Don't need any custom racks at all.
Old 06-17-12, 08:39 PM
lungimsam

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 1 Post
My Topeak rack with lips on it. The base of the Topeak trunk bag has rails that slide onto it and locks in place. Push a lever and it slides right off again. Check their stuff out.
Old 06-18-12, 11:16 AM
ilkphillybkchks

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
At the risk of letting thieves know... Ortlieb bags attachment system is the best I've used. They pop off with a pull of the strap, but have never come off on own their own during the 16,000 plus miles that I've ridden with them. Not a trunk bag though, they're full size panniers.
Old 06-18-12, 01:18 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Originally Posted by ilkphillybkchks
At the risk of letting thieves know... Ortlieb bags attachment system is the best I've used. They pop off with a pull of the strap, but have never come off on own their own during the 16,000 plus miles that I've ridden with them. Not a trunk bag though, they're full size panniers.
Ortlieb does make a rack trunk system. It's used on their Bike Box and Trunk Bag as well as other cases. They even make an adapter that can be used with baskets. I've used the basket adapter to retrofit bags to the Ortlieb system. None of the Ortlieb bags are cheap but the adapter is far better than just about any other system I've run across with the exception of the Topeak rack. But the Topeak bags can only be used with their rack where as the Ortlieb adapter can be used with any rack.

Ortlieb's Racktime line also makes an adapter for their racks. The bag I adapted was a Racktime Trunkit.
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-18-12, 01:24 PM
cyccommute 
Mad bike riding scientist

Bikes: Some silver ones, a red one, a black and orange one, and a few titanium ones

Mentioned: 152 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6222 Post(s)
Liked 4,222 Times in 2,368 Posts
Ortlieb does make a rack trunk system. It's used on their Bike Box and Trunk Bag as well as other cases. They even make an adapter that can be used with baskets. I've used the basket adapter to retrofit bags to the Ortlieb system. None of the Ortlieb bags are cheap but the adapter is far better than just about any other system I've run across with the exception of the Topeak rack. But the Topeak bags can only be used with their rack where as the Ortlieb adapter can be used with any rack.

Ortlieb's Racktime line also makes an adapter for their racks. The bag I adapted was a Racktime Trunkit.

Rixen Kaul also makes rack top bags that snap in place. They can be found at VeloFred's here in the US
Gold Fever Three days of dirt in Colorado
Pokin' around the Poconos A cold ride around Lake Erie
Dinosaurs in Colorado A mountain bike guide to the Purgatory Canyon dinosaur trackway
Solo Without Pie. The search for pie in the Midwest.
Picking the Scablands. Washington and Oregon, 2005. Pie and spiders on the Columbia River!

Old 06-18-12, 02:02 PM
drbenjamin

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Topeak MTX. Been using it for 2 years, I commute on my road bike and in 5 seconds I can take the rack off and go for a ride. The bag looks nice too, I have no problems walking into work w/ it.
Old 06-18-12, 02:13 PM
addictedhealer

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by drbenjamin
Topeak MTX. Been using it for 2 years, I commute on my road bike and in 5 seconds I can take the rack off and go for a ride. The bag looks nice too, I have no problems walking into work w/ it.

Thanks everyone, that is exactly what I was wanting to do. I like my rack and bag and it holds tons but just a little much, think ill stick it on the GF's Giant and get the topeak.. Maybe she will agree with me since shes getting something out of it.
Old 06-18-12, 02:27 PM
dphilips

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked 49 Times in 18 Posts
How about a bag without a rack?
https://www.revelatedesigns.com/inde...=4&ProductID=1

I've been commuting with one for a few months, was using a backpack previously. Goes on and off, moves between bikes more easily than a rack. No problems with contacting the bag while riding, bag sway, or bike handling.
Old 06-18-12, 03:08 PM
Trek_geek

Bikes: 2006 Trek 1000 SL, 1995 Performance 505 MTB, 2012 Trek 520 (my daily commuter)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have the Topeak MTX which I really like... BUT like mentioned before it can be used on a Topeak rack only. I just bought a Trek 520 which came with a rack. I then got the Ortlieb Backroller Classic Panniers - Pair from REI on sale. This is my daily commute set up. I carry all my cloths to work, shower in a nearby gym. I wanted the easy access of the MTX trunk bag so ended up drill out the Topeak MTX slide rail so I could ty-rap the trunk bag in place.
After looking at a friends seat post QR mounted Topeak rack I am seriously thinking about buying one to take a part and then mount the rail onto the Trek 520 reak rack.
Old 06-18-12, 03:54 PM
no1mad 
Thunder Whisperer

Bikes: '06 Kona Smoke

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 275 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 2 Posts
FYI- Racktime offers up a lock for their products that use their SnapIt system for that very reason.
Old 06-18-12, 09:05 PM
syciprider

Bikes: Sycip Unleaded, Raleigh SS, Trek 1.5

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Another vote for the Topeak MTX. I have the DX model. It can hold my military cammies and skivvies in the main compartment, my tools and electronics in the side pockets and my lunch strapped on the lid. Also check out competing systems from Sunlite and Bontrager
Old 06-18-12, 09:13 PM
SwampDude

Bikes: All Treks - fitness and road

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
My Bontrager rack accommodates a trunk or a wire basket that is handy for a carry-out lunch for two (or more) or a bag of groceries. Quick release works and locks in securely.