Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Commuting
Reload this Page >

Making your bike glow down the road...

Search
Notices
Commuting Bicycle commuting is easier than you think, before you know it, you'll be hooked. Learn the tips, hints, equipment, safety requirements for safely riding your bike to work.

Making your bike glow down the road...

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-12, 08:11 PM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by christ0ph
Is there any online source for a smallish amounts of reflective tape in different colors, especially white, red and yellow/green, or better yet, as an assortmen/sampler?
Here is twelve bucks worth of Scotchlite Black ordered off of eBay (postage included) on my Trek. It doesn't show up much in the day and the bike looks like the other 5 year old 7200 that they made.

So, actually that is the six buck view........one side. I will probably get lightweights for the spokes down the line.

I figure that like a motorcycle, a bike doesn't need all that much to worry about side profile visibility. Your danger comes from vehicles pulling out in front of you or overtaking you from behind (well, at least on a bicycle).

There is no front or rear profile------sit two blocks down the street, have a friend sit at a stop sign and hold up a pencil. The pencil will cover you. Period. That is how skinny you are. Then, have your friend recieve a "text" and glance your way. You're dead.

A need for side visibility is real, although minimal to front or rear visibility. A bicycle doesn't present a large enough front or rear profile to rely on "passive" defense. This has to come from "active" defense.........lights.

I feel that my $12 investment in side reflection protects me enough to be comfortable with it. Danger from the right or left doesn't realistically exist to warrant any further effort. Although the spoke tape will be super cool, a few paychecks down the road.

I do have front, rear active protection (lights, blinking lights, red, white and safety orange tee shirts). I refrain from that discussion seeing as to how my lights cannot be seen from the International Space Station. Yes, the beacon from the Lexor still outshines me.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
Reflective 002.jpg (98.3 KB, 1012 views)
Old 09-04-12, 09:49 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Bikes: Giant, Trek

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gregjones
Here is twelve bucks worth of Scotchlite Black ordered off of eBay (postage included) on my Trek. It doesn't show up much in the day and the bike looks like the other 5 year old 7200 that they made.

Not bad at all... Do you have a daytime (no flash) photo of the bike?

Last edited by K'Tesh; 09-04-12 at 06:29 PM.
Old 09-04-12, 11:08 AM
gregjones

Bikes: K2 Mod 5.0 Roadie, Fuji Commuter

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by K'Tesh

Not bad at all... Do you have a daytime (no flash) photo of the bike?
Thanks, not a bad endorsement....comming from the Master of Glow.

Here:

I tried not to cover up any more of the stock graphics than I had to.
Attached Images
Reflective 007.jpg (102.3 KB, 957 views)
Old 09-04-12, 06:28 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts

That black tape hides rather nicely on your bike...

Good Job!
Old 12-02-12, 06:22 PM
chisler

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent FT2

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
christ0ph: I was interested in testing out some different colors on my bike. I searched on ebay for something like "scotchlite colors', and found a seller whom mailed me 5 different samples. If I remember correctly, the strips were like 3"x9" and I paid about 5 bucks for the samples.
Old 12-02-12, 11:11 PM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chisler
christ0ph: I was interested in testing out some different colors on my bike. I searched on ebay for something like "scotchlite colors', and found a seller whom mailed me 5 different samples. If I remember correctly, the strips were like 3"x9" and I paid about 5 bucks for the samples.
Inquiring mind wants to know... who was the seller?
Old 12-02-12, 11:26 PM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Okay, my bike retroreflectivity project is finally finished, with the recent addition of yellow rim tape and red rear rack tape. Definitely inspired by K'Tesh. Below are photos.

The bicycle is a Dynamic RunAbout 7 chainless bike (hybrid/comfort bike style) with Ortlieb backroller classic panniers and Bar Mitts installed.

The tape used is Reflexite - blue and white on bike body and helmet, red on rear rack and helmet, and fluorescent yellow on the rims. I cut the tape to size and did peel-n-stick. Goal was safety over good looks. The bike has 1,000 miles on it, I love it and won't be selling it, so I made it mine with the tape. (Actually, if it was ever stolen, it would be such a pain to get the tape off, plus it is a shaft-drive bike and registered serial number... what a headache for thieves...)

Camera: a crappy Nikon for the nighttime shots with flash on (also, I left my two taillights and two headlights off for the photos because they were making the camera's flash not operate).

Here is a side view at night:

Here is a rear view in dark garage, next to my wife's mountain bike (which has no reflective tape):

Here is a front view, in the dark, with my helmet on the driveway next to it:

Here is the bike in daytime:

Here is a closeup of the yellow rim tape and blue tape on front fork:

Here is a closeup of the white and blue tape on the body:

Finally, here is the helmet in daytime:

It was a lot of work to cut all the pieces and get them as right as possible, particularly the red on the rack and the yellow on the rims. For the yellow on the rims, I peeled off one of the AlexRims manufacturer stickers and used it as a rough template to get the curvature right. If I had it all to do over again, I would skip a lot of the red on the rack - it is too hard to get it on there right, and it tends to peel up a little on tight curved surfaces.

Overall, I feel that the tape has enhanced my nighttime safety. I always run two headlights and two taillights, day and night, too.

It was interesting to me to see how much the Ortliebs added to my nighttime rear and front visibility...
Attached Images
014 helmet.jpg (98.0 KB, 316 views)
Likes For Bluish Green:
Old 12-03-12, 06:47 AM
K'Tesh
Commander, UFO Bike

Liked 9 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish Green
Okay, my bike retroreflectivity project is finally finished, with the recent addition of yellow rim tape and red rear rack tape. Definitely inspired by K'Tesh. Below are photos.

The bicycle is a Dynamic RunAbout 7 chainless bike (hybrid/comfort bike style) with Ortlieb backroller classic panniers and Bar Mitts installed.

The tape used is Reflexite - blue and white on bike body and helmet, red on rear rack and helmet, and fluorescent yellow on the rims. I cut the tape to size and did peel-n-stick. Goal was safety over good looks. The bike has 1,000 miles on it, I love it and won't be selling it, so I made it mine with the tape. (Actually, if it was ever stolen, it would be such a pain to get the tape off, plus it is a shaft-drive bike and registered serial number... what a headache for thieves...)

Camera: a crappy Nikon for the nighttime shots with flash on (also, I left my two taillights and two headlights off for the photos because they were making the camera's flash not operate).

Here is a side view at night:

Here is a rear view in dark garage, next to my wife's mountain bike (which has no reflective tape):

Here is a front view, in the dark, with my helmet on the driveway next to it:

Here is the bike in daytime:

Here is a closeup of the yellow rim tape and blue tape on front fork:

Here is a closeup of the white and blue tape on the body:

Finally, here is the helmet in daytime:

It was a lot of work to cut all the pieces and get them as right as possible, particularly the red on the rack and the yellow on the rims. For the yellow on the rims, I peeled off one of the AlexRims manufacturer stickers and used it as a rough template to get the curvature right. If I had it all to do over again, I would skip a lot of the red on the rack - it is too hard to get it on there right, and it tends to peel up a little on tight curved surfaces.

Overall, I feel that the tape has enhanced my nighttime safety. I always run two headlights and two taillights, day and night, too.

It was interesting to me to see how much the Ortliebs added to my nighttime rear and front visibility...
You missed a spot... (bike pump, inside crank arms)

WOW!!! That's one bright bike now... Looks pretty good! It would be fair to say that your bike's covering is brighter than mine (esp the rear rack detail). As for the ortlieb's front visibility... remember, you have legs that would block them, but then again, they are not designed as a left and right side only kind of bag.

Thanks for sharing those photos.

Did it look something like this before you got started?

I have to say, I hate manufacturers photos, they always use a bland background you can't get enough contrast from.

Last edited by K'Tesh; 12-03-12 at 11:16 AM.
Old 12-03-12, 06:57 AM
Mark Stone
Tractorlegs

Bikes: Schwinn Meridian Single-Speed Tricycle

Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked 60 Times in 42 Posts
Originally Posted by Bluish Green

Wow, I'm impressed. I did that with one of my bikes but although it made it glow, it made the bike very ugly. You did it and your bike looks nice - great job. Whenever you ride through a neighborhood, there will be reports of UFO sightings
Old 12-04-12, 01:00 AM
Bluish Green
Bicycle Commuter

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
You missed a spot... (bike pump, inside crank arms)

WOW!!! That's one bright bike now... Looks pretty good! It would be fair to say that your bike's covering is brighter than mine (esp the rear rack detail). As for the ortlieb's front visibility... remember, you have legs that would block them, but then again, they are not designed as a left and right side only kind of bag.

Thanks for sharing those photos.

Did it look something like this before you got started?

I have to say, I hate manufacturers photos, they always use a bland background you can't get enough contrast from.

Yes, that is pretty much what it looked like beforehand. The blue tape is a pretty good match to the medium-blue of the bike paint. The Dynamic has been a great choice for me, I like it. I plan to do a full review at the one-year anniversary, but so far defintely so good.

Thanks for the tip on the inside crank arms - I will add a strip to both. The motion will be eye-catching.

I think it is worthwhile to do a "flashlight test" and also take photos of your bike and gear and give them some thought as to how visible you are under different conditions. It has worked for me.
Old 12-04-12, 08:40 PM
chisler

Bikes: Raleigh Cadent FT2

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Inquiring mind wants to know... who was the seller?
3mreflectivestore
Old 12-05-12, 10:06 AM
ikaika777

Bikes: 2017 Giant Escape 2, 2013 Giant Escape 2, 1986 Bianchi Nuovo Alloro

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked 5 Times in 3 Posts
Besides two blinking lights in the back and two headlights up front I also use all black stealth tape. You can see one in the day shot and night.
Attached Images
image.jpg (102.7 KB, 307 views)
image.jpg (100.6 KB, 301 views)
image.jpg (95.5 KB, 181 views)

Last edited by ikaika777; 12-05-12 at 10:28 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 10:02 AM
Null66

Bikes: Built up DT, 2007 Fuji tourer (donor bike, RIP), 1995 1220 Trek

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
My tape job is downright ugly...

Childish compared to these.

But it does show up.

So will live with it until it has to be refreshed.

Nice job guys!
Old 10-31-13, 11:23 AM
Creakyknees
ride lots be safe

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
This thread pertains to my interests! These are my "training" wheels with a pretty sloppy job of red and white reflective tape. Nevertheless it passes the "wife following in the minivan" safety check, when used in conjunction with bright multiple front and rear lights and reflecto clothing. .

Last edited by Creakyknees; 10-31-13 at 11:31 AM.
Old 10-31-13, 06:40 PM
Bikeforumuser0011

Bikes: Lola (2012 Schwinn Voyageur 7)

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm lazy (sort of ), and bought Monkey Light 210's for my wheels.
Old 11-01-13, 02:04 AM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I thought I had posted these to this thread, but it looks like I didn't.

I've got a question first though - I'm building up a new-to-me bike and am going to be rehabbing the paint with car wax and polish, but am also going to be covering much of it in reflective tape (just like the one below). Anyone know if the wax will interfere with the reflective tape sticking? Should I somehow strip the wax/polish off the areas I am going to put the tape on?

I ran out of the red before I got the forks done, then was considering using the leftover white I had on them, but ended up getting a nicer frame that will be replacing this set-up in the next month or two (once I have it built up) so have decided to not do any more upgrades on this frame. I've got Lightweights on some of the front wheels spokes. Should've cleaned up the reflective strip in the rear tire (Vittoria Rando Pro), but these were just my test shots to see what it looked like as I was putting it on. Of course, I haven't gotten around to taking proper glamour shots of it yet!

Rear view, including pedal reflectors and the built-in reflector of the Portland Design Works Fenderbot light:

My '93 GT Outpost's red DuPont Imron finish still looked new when I picked it up a couple of years ago. It's finally starting to fade a little after a year and a half of daily commuting duties, but at first the original paint was a very close match to the powerful red reflective of the red and white tape that goes on the side of semi trailers. This is where I got it and the exact set:

Peterson Manufacturing 465-4K Red/White Reflective Marking Tape
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That last picture has my girlfriends 1996 GT Pantera next to my ride. Her bike is black, so I decided to try out some black reflective tape I found online. It is intended for motorcycles and appears either black or ghostly grey during the day. With no light on it at all it looks black, in sunlight it has a little bit of a greyish glow to it.

Motorcycle Reflective Safety Tape - Black Adhesive. RTK-03A
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

All the above photos were taken with my phones camera flash. Hopefully that is how it'd appear in a cars headlights.
Old 11-01-13, 03:34 AM
acidfast7
Banned

Bikes: 2010 Cube Acid / 2013 Mango FGSS

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 1053 Post(s)
Liked 41 Times in 36 Posts
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg
PFC_2103_1200x801.jpeg (63.6 KB, 299 views)
Old 06-06-14, 08:49 PM
cyclomuter
Ninja

Bikes: 2009 gary fisher wingra, 2012 Giant Talon 0 29er

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 4 Times in 1 Post
Greetings, reviving an older post here. Thanks K'Tesh for starting this thread - great idea and very pro looking results on your bikes! I've been looking around for add'l info about grading the reflectivity and found a good sign site if anyone's interested: Manual of Traffic Signs - Sign Sheetings
You may have already seen it as I later discovered it to be sub-linked in the the sign blog K'Tesh mentioned earlier in this post. I may have just missed it, but I didn't really see a simple answer for what types are best for bikes and gear and what's good for apparel. From the trafficsign site info, I would say if you can find products with ASTM classifications, go with type IV and type VI, respectively.
I haven't "made my bike glow down the road" yet, but will come back and post pics once I have.
Thanks for all the tips everyone, and lot's of nice looking bikes!
Old 09-29-14, 03:51 AM
TransitBiker
contiuniously variable

Bikes: 2012 Breezer Uptown Infinity, Fuji Varsity

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 6 Posts
I think i need to get some fancy reflective tape, but im worried how it will match with my eye-pleasing metallic color shift paint.

I think a second spoke mounted reflector on front & 2 on back might help in the interim plus some more lights.

- Andy
Old 09-29-14, 06:43 AM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
My new Muirwoods is hard to miss.

Old 09-29-14, 10:36 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
I have lots of reflective tape on my bike, but it does not to any good at dusk/dawn when I need it most. Cars have to have their headlights on and of course have the headlights pointed at me for it to do any good.

My bike looks great when photographed with a flash, but that doesn't help much in real life commuting.
Old 09-30-14, 02:31 AM
owenfinn

Bikes: Marin Muirwoods 29er, Yuba Mundo, Dahon Boardwalk D7

Liked 10 Times in 6 Posts
Originally Posted by chas58
I have lots of reflective tape on my bike, but it does not to any good at dusk/dawn when I need it most. Cars have to have their headlights on and of course have the headlights pointed at me for it to do any good.

My bike looks great when photographed with a flash, but that doesn't help much in real life commuting.
Well for real life early morning commuting I use lights of course. Not crazy about how the reflective stuff looks but am glad it`s there when I`m riding in the city at night. Truth be told, I was actually just looking for an excuse for posting up a picture of my new bike.
Old 09-30-14, 07:44 AM
chaadster
Thread Killer

Bikes: 15 Kinesis Racelight 4S, 76 Motebecane Gran Jubilée, 17 Dedacciai Gladiatore2, 12 Breezer Venturi, 09 Dahon Mariner, 12 Mercier Nano, 95 DeKerf Team SL, 19 Tern Rally, 21 Breezer Doppler Cafe+, 19 T-Lab X3, 91 Serotta CII, 23 3T Strada

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 3151 Post(s)
Liked 1,717 Times in 1,036 Posts
Originally Posted by owenfinn
Well for real life early morning commuting I use lights of course. Not crazy about how the reflective stuff looks but am glad it`s there when I`m riding in the city at night. Truth be told, I was actually just looking for an excuse for posting up a picture of my new bike.
It is handsome and elegant!
Old 09-30-14, 09:56 AM
chas58

Bikes: too many of all kinds

Mentioned: 35 Post(s)
Quoted: 1147 Post(s)
Liked 415 Times in 335 Posts
It is a good looking bike!

I have been able to match tape to bike color, or the accent color used on a bike. In my case that is silver, black, red, blue and gold. Makes the tape invisible during the day.

I also have some of that black glow in the dark tape, which works well on a black frame. Although it changes the bike from invisible to a subtle glow in total darkness. I'm not sure the black bike with tape is any brighter than my bare aluminum look bike at night. That black glow in the dark tape reflects about as much as the white on a license plate.
Old 09-30-14, 08:20 PM
Medic Zero

Bikes: Old steel GT's, for touring and commuting

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Originally Posted by chas58
It is a good looking bike!

I have been able to match tape to bike color, or the accent color used on a bike. In my case that is silver, black, red, blue and gold. Makes the tape invisible during the day.

I also have some of that black glow in the dark tape, which works well on a black frame. Although it changes the bike from invisible to a subtle glow in total darkness. I'm not sure the black bike with tape is any brighter than my bare aluminum look bike at night. That black glow in the dark tape reflects about as much as the white on a license plate.
Which black did you get? I haven't tested it with a cars headlights, but you can see an example of black in a camera flash upthread on my girlfriends bike. It's not quite as bright as the white or the red, but still quite bright.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.