Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recreational & Family
Reload this Page >

Strider Bike is amazing!

Notices
Recreational & Family Ride just to ride? Have a family and want to get them into cycling? Drop in here to discuss recreational and family cycling issues.

Strider Bike is amazing!

Old 02-07-12, 05:47 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Strider Bike is amazing!

My son Conor is 28 months old; for his 2nd birthday we had gotten him a Strider Running Bike (no pedals). He was really wobbly when he first tried it a few months ago, and had not sown much interest since. He picked it up in the garage a few days ago and again was wobbly at first, but is now zipping around corners like a pro and gliding everwhere he goes. I was a late bloomer and didn't learn to ride a bike until I was 8, but at 28 months my son Conor is amazing! The Strider and Skoot really are amazing and a great way to teach your child balance skills.
Old 02-09-12, 01:35 PM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
It's THE BEST way for a child to learn how to ride!
Old 02-09-12, 03:25 PM
LVRider

Bikes: Fondriest Status w/Campy, Schwinn Moab 2 Aluminum Mountain

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I'm just astounded at how good my toddler is on the bike. My nephew is 3 and doesn't want to learn to ride a tricycle, and my 2-year old is already zipping around balancing perfectly on the running bike. I am in no way affiliated with Strider or Skoot, but am just amazed at how great running bikes are for toddlers learning to ride.
Old 02-09-12, 03:35 PM
ctyler
Badger Biker

Bikes: Cannondale Saeco CAD-3, Surly Cross Check

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
I always advise my friends who want to teach their kids to ride to remove the pedals and lower the seat and let them go. Works every time. Same idea as the Strider.
Old 02-17-12, 07:51 AM
biknbrian

Bikes: BiknBrian brand custom 26 inch commuter trekker, Cannondale F600 Single Speeded MTB, Nashbar Cro-Mo CX, some other bikes and parts that could be made into bikes.

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
After teaching two kids that were ruined by training wheels to ride I absolutely despise the things. Every time I see a bike with them in my mind I see another kid who's learning will be delayed and another couple of extremely frustrated parents.

Just imagine if that whole teach your kid to ride a bike experience never had to happen at all. "Let try this again, you're getting better (marginally), please try to understand that you have to move forward with some speed in order to balance, don't cry it's only a few scrapes, hey get back here, &^$%&, %@#&(*#, @#!*(^%, #&(@&, @#(#%, I threw your bike over the hill and I don't give a damn if it stays there, I'm sorry, we'll try it again tomorrow."

When it comes up my advice is to buy kids a scooter (not a razor, but something with some reasonable tires) or maybe a bike without pedals/crank like you describe. In no time even very young kids will be scooting around all by themselves. No parent intervention is required. For very young kids being able to sit may help, but for a little bit older kids I think a stand up scooter is the way to go. Then again, try to find a decent scooter...

Last edited by biknbrian; 02-17-12 at 08:03 AM.
Old 02-17-12, 12:35 PM
jbrow1

Bikes: Old ones.

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I bought my twins balance bikes when they were two years old, $29 from wally-world online. At the end of last summer they would pick there feet up and coast down a small hill in the backyard. I'm hoping this year at 3, they will really catch on and zoom around more. Probably let them in the driveway some and that should help. I'm trying to avoid the whole tricycle and training wheels thing as well. It's going to be such a blast when they start riding with me! At least I hope it is. If they like biking, Mom will just love it when I turn the back yard into a bike park ~
Old 02-17-12, 02:11 PM
mjsocal

Bikes: older model Raleigh & a beach cruiser

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Nice thread! I'm going to bookmark it for friends and family. Thanks!
Old 02-19-12, 02:09 AM
ebartom

Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Balance bikes are amazing. My son transitioned from skuut to 12" inch specialized (without training wheels) the week he turned 3, and my daughter made the transition from a strider even earlier at 2.5. (I think the age they started had more to do with motivation than anything else)