Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Recumbent
Reload this Page >

Lightfoot Cycles

Notices
Recumbent What IS that thing?! Recumbents may be odd looking, but they have many advantages over a "wedgie" bicycle. Discuss the in's and out's recumbent lifestyle in the recumbent forum.

Lightfoot Cycles

Old 03-14-16, 02:13 PM
15rms

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Lightfoot Cycles

Does anybody here own a Lightfoot Cycles Recumbent? I just found out they went out of business. I have several and love them. I am kind of wondering how much they would be worth now that they are out of business.
Old 03-15-16, 01:19 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
There is a thread over at BROL discussing the demise of Lightfoot. Unfortunately there is no info on why they went out of business. As far as bike values go, I guess it could go either way: The bikes could be considered collector's items now, or as white elephants. The main thing to keep in mind is that the seats and handlebars are proprietary.
I have a Rambler. If at some point I need to replace the seat assembly, I would have to search out a used Lightfoot cycle or see if I could use another bike company's seat. Or, go to a machine shop and see if they could replicate the original (big $$). There is a Ranger up for sale on the BROL classifieds right now. I'm hoping that the company will be resurrected soon.
Old 03-15-16, 08:43 PM
15rms

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
trestlehed thanks for your response. Is it possible for you to post a link to the thread on BROL. I cannot seem locate it. I went hogwild with Lightfoot and own 5 of their bikes. I would love to read more about them. Thanks
Old 03-15-16, 08:47 PM
VegasTriker

Bikes: Catrike 700, Greenspeed GTO trike, , Linear LWB recumbent, Haluzak Horizon SWB recumbent, Balance 450 MTB, Cannondale SM800 Beast of the East

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 522 Post(s)
Liked 227 Times in 179 Posts
There's no need to panic because the company went out of business. I have two orphan bikes, a 1997 Iowa Linear long wheelbase and a circa 2002 Haluzak Horizon short wheelbase. Most of the parts are standard bike parts. I can still get some of the OEM specific parts from Bicycleman in Alfred NY for the Linear and Bill Haluzak has continued to make some parts for the Zak available.

A while back I looked at the specs for one of the Lightfoot bikes. They certainly weren't lighter than other similar models. It wasn't a brand that came up all that often on Bentrider which might be why they closed. Maybe there just wasn't enough demand. You can read reviews and comments at Bicycleman.
Old 03-16-16, 06:23 AM
BlazingPedals

Bikes: Trek 7500, RANS V-Rex, Optima Baron, Velokraft NoCom, M-5 Carbon Highracer, Catrike Speed

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 1513 Post(s)
Liked 734 Times in 455 Posts
Warranties are gone, which only affects the original owner. Other than that, nothing has changed.
Old 03-16-16, 08:17 AM
chandltp

Bikes: Bacchetta Giro 20, Trek 7000, old Huffy MTB, and a few others

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Personally for me, I'd avoid buying anything that I couldn't get parts for. As long as I could get parts (even through an after market supplier), I'd be OK.