Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Canyon to the States...finally

Search
Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-16, 07:32 AM
Shuffleman

Bikes: Colnago CLX,GT Karakoram,Giant Revel, Kona Honk_ Tonk

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 149 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

I know that this might be old news but I have not seen it here lately. Canyon has finally announced that it is going to open up to the U.S. Personally, I am excited. I love the looks of their bikes. I also like the fact that they are selling outside of the mold. It will be pretty cool to see if they are able to get a grip here.
Anyway, if anybody has not seen this, I thought that I would paste it here.
Canyon Bicycles officially announces US expansion | CyclingTips
Old 08-11-16, 09:58 AM
stockae92

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Yes, even their web site said they are coming to the State soon. Can't wait!
Old 08-11-16, 10:02 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 354 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20810 Post(s)
Liked 9,456 Times in 4,672 Posts
I hadn't known that they were only sold direct. Interesting, though that sometimes carries a negative connotation with some buyers, at least in the US.
Old 08-11-16, 10:14 AM
rms13

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 276 Post(s)
Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Google Canyon and read all about how horrible their customer service is and how many months it takes to get your bike after you pay for it. I think U.S. consumer expectations are much higher when it comes to that stuff so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Also I think they have been talking about coming to US market for about 3 years and their plans keep getting pushed, most likely because they have had so much trouble fulfilling existing orders in Europe
Old 08-11-16, 10:34 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 679 Times in 430 Posts
Yes, they announced the same thing in 2013. I'll believe it when I see it.
Old 08-11-16, 11:58 AM
Billy1111

Bikes: Canyon Aeroad, Parlee ESX, Factor o2,Colnago CX Zero Disc,

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
hopefully it happens and things go well.....that aeroad is calling me
Old 08-11-16, 12:04 PM
GuitarBob
Kit doesn't match

Bikes: 5

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 187 Post(s)
Liked 27 Times in 19 Posts
I too find myself drawn to this brand of unobtanium, waiting patiently, tapping on my wallet from time to time...
Old 08-11-16, 12:12 PM
aubiecat

Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I hadn't known that they were only sold direct. Interesting, though that sometimes carries a negative connotation with some buyers, at least in the US.
That's the result of being programmed by the "industry."
I am happy that a big name company that does direct sales is now available. I hope it shakes up the US bike sales system.
Old 08-11-16, 12:40 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
A guy in my city rides a Ultimate CF SLX with Sram Red. It's a pretty nice looking bike but at the end of the day it doesn't look any different from every other matte black carbon bike.

As far as the direct sales model. It will be interesting because their bikes are not priced like Bikesdirect, Nahsbar, Planet X etc. They are priced like an LBS bike without any of the LBS benefits and apparently horrible service and excessive wait times
Old 08-11-16, 01:31 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Mentioned: 11 Post(s)
Quoted: 374 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 11 Posts
Originally Posted by rms13
Google Canyon and read all about how horrible their customer service is and how many months it takes to get your bike after you pay for it.
Indeed. I'm from the UK, and have a friend who lives over there who bought a Canyon Road Bike, a fancy one with Dura-Ace Di2. Took 5 months for them to send it to him after he ordered it, and when it arrived it was the wrong size frame.

Fair enough, it only took them another 3 weeks to sort out.

Not exactly Amazon Prime though is it?
Old 08-11-16, 01:46 PM
dim

Bikes: Trek Emonda SL6 .... Miyata One Thousand

Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 22 Posts
very good bikes .... I see loads here in the UK, even the Aluminium ones are class

I had a very close look at them and nearly bought the endurace model recently:

but ended up getting a used Giant TCR as it was a very good deal

what did put me off the Canyon was the fact that the stem is slammed right down. I went on the live chat and asked the guy if they could leave a few inches on the headset so that I could raise the handlebar if needed and he said no
Old 08-11-16, 02:03 PM
2lo8

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 252 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Because pretty much every carbon steerer fork has a limit of ~40mm spacers under the stem, not because they come with steerers cut for slammed stems.
Old 08-11-16, 02:09 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by dr_lha
Indeed. I'm from the UK, and have a friend who lives over there who bought a Canyon Road Bike, a fancy one with Dura-Ace Di2. Took 5 months for them to send it to him after he ordered it, and when it arrived it was the wrong size frame.

Fair enough, it only took them another 3 weeks to sort out.

Not exactly Amazon Prime though is it?
Not exactly Bikesdirect or Nashbar either and that's the problem. But if the prices are comparable to a Specialized, Trek, Cannondale, Giant etc that someone can walk into LBS and walk out with the same day I don't see how Canyon competes but time will tell
Old 08-11-16, 02:10 PM
dr_lha

Bikes: 2016 Black Mountain Cycles Monster Cross v5, 2015 Ritchey Road Logic, 1998 Specialized Rockhopper, 2017 Raleigh Grand Prix

Originally Posted by dim
what did put me off the Canyon was the fact that the stem is slammed right down. I went on the live chat and asked the guy if they could leave a few inches on the headset so that I could raise the handlebar if needed and he said no
My friend's canyon wasn't slammed like that. It has 30mm of spacers between the headset and stem. Different model though.
Old 08-11-16, 02:15 PM
dim

Google Canyon and read all about how horrible their customer service is and how many months it takes to get your bike after you pay for it. I think U.S. consumer expectations are much higher when it comes to that stuff so it will be interesting to see how it goes. Also I think they have been talking about coming to US market for about 3 years and their plans keep getting pushed, most likely because they have had so much trouble fulfilling existing orders in Europe
before you order, contact them on the live chat and they will tell you straight away if your model/size is in stock .... if it is, you recieve it quick, if not, you have to wait a while, but they tell you how long to wait. They don't process the credit card transaction until the day it is shipped

that's the way I understood it when I chatted to the guy on their live chat on the internet
Old 08-11-16, 02:16 PM
Noctilux.95

Bikes: Bianchi Oltre XR4 Celeste, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Giant TCR SL, Giant Revolt Advanced Revolt 0 Gravel Bike, Trek Madone SLR, Cervelo R5 Disk

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 376 Post(s)
Liked 124 Times in 65 Posts
Please find me a Trek or Specialized Venge, Emonda, Tarmac, and Madone, that comes with CF frame, CF wheels, and Ultegra Di2 for around $4000.
Old 08-11-16, 02:23 PM
dim

Originally Posted by dr_lha
My friend's canyon wasn't slammed like that. It has 30mm of spacers between the headset and stem. Different model though.
when I chatted to the guy on live chat, he said that the endurace stem was slammed right down as seen in the pic.... and he said that they could not leave a few inches extension. If he said they could, I would have bought it there and then

then I looked a Planet X .... another good bike at a reasonable cost, but ended up getting the Giant TCR off ebay .... I bought the Giant within 5 minutes of the seller listing the bike .... ticked all the right boxes, my size, mint condition, close to where I live, colour that I wanted, good wheels/tyres and got loads of accessories included, including a Garmin GPS, pedals, aero bars (which I sold), saddle bag, shimano shoes (which are my size), spare tubes, CO2 cannisters etc etc etc (for half the price of the Canyon)

I may look at getting a used aluminium Canyon as a commuter around christmas time if I can find a good one in my size and at a good price (I really like them, and the guys who I have seen riding them, ride at good pace)
Old 08-11-16, 02:26 PM
dr_lha

Originally Posted by dim
when I chatted to the guy on live chat, he said that the endurace stem was slammed right down as seen in the pic.... and he said that they could not leave a few inches extension. If he said they could, I would have bought it there and then
The bike my mate bought was an Ultimate CF SLX 9.0 AERO, which BTW has a "slammed" stem on the Canyon web page, but in the pictures he posted to Facebook of it, clearly has 30mm of spacers.
Old 08-11-16, 02:32 PM
rms13

Liked 6 Times in 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
Please find me a Trek or Specialized Venge, Emonda, Tarmac, and Madone, that comes with CF frame, CF wheels, and Ultegra Di2 for around $4000.
Are Trek and Spesh the only brands in the US?

https://www.giant-bicycles.com/en-us...2730/#features
Old 08-11-16, 05:11 PM
jdjones
-:-

Bikes: Moots Vamoots CR

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Per GCN they do runs of a certain model and then do a different model. That could explain a delay.
Old 08-12-16, 03:10 AM
allen254

Bikes: Fuji roubaix 1.1

Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by aubiecat
That's the result of being programmed by the "industry."
I am happy that a big name company that does direct sales is now available. I hope it shakes up the US bike sales system.
**** yes canyon bike are some what oaks on price because they cut out the damn middle man hence why they can sell their frames at low prices unlike stupid trek and spesh,, I hope they change the bike industry and only sell directly to the consumer ,, direct sales equals cheaper bike stuff.
Old 08-12-16, 04:18 AM
vinuneuro

Bikes: 2016 Diverge Expert

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 390 Post(s)
Liked 8 Times in 8 Posts
Originally Posted by Noctilux.95
That's nuts. Which is this Canyon model?
Old 08-12-16, 06:05 AM
BilbroSwaggins

Bikes: Scott Addict Cross/ Ritchey Road Logic/ Niner Air 9

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Originally Posted by allen254
**** yes canyon bike are some what oaks on price because they cut out the damn middle man hence why they can sell their frames at low prices unlike stupid trek and spesh,, I hope they change the bike industry and only sell directly to the consumer ,, direct sales equals cheaper bike stuff.
Yeah cause **** those pesky LBS who just want to steal your money and never go above and beyond help you out.
Old 08-12-16, 07:09 AM
Dan333SP
Serious Cyclist

Bikes: Emonda SL6

Mentioned: 97 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5721 Post(s)
Liked 261 Times in 99 Posts
I'm planning on purchasing this bike and converting it to traditional drop bars:

Do you think it'll help me win group rides?
Old 08-12-16, 07:10 AM
GamerEdge

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
The funny thing is you don't even have to google it, just read the comments in the article the OP linked.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.