Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Service/Maintenance Tools

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-02-21, 11:03 AM
Mrstott

Bikes: LOOK kg96 Team Replica, Miyata 914, Giant Peloton Lite, Cannondale R4000si

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked 1 Time in 1 Post

I searched tools and didn稚 yield many results. Hopefully this post is in the right place.

I知 just kind of getting into working on my road bikes and I知 curious if anyone has info or can provide a simple list of the basic tools one would need for preventative maintenance, tune ups, etc.

I have metric and standard hex sets, screw drivers, etc. but I知 asking more for those specialty type tools.

I have an old giant frame that I知 going to likely repaint and build. So I値l essentially need what痴 required for a frame-up build.

I own and ride sport bikes and do all the work myself. Just looking for some guidance on a good starting point.

Any recommendations or advice?
Old 04-02-21, 11:28 AM
topflightpro

Mentioned: 54 Post(s)
Quoted: 1851 Post(s)
Liked 675 Times in 427 Posts
90% of a bike build can be done with a set of Allen wrenches. Beyond that, you will probably just need a chain tool, cable cutters, cassette tools and BB tools.
Old 04-02-21, 11:37 AM
unterhausen
Randomhead

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 3,664 Times in 2,497 Posts
Moved here from General cycling
Old 04-02-21, 11:43 AM
alcjphil

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1792 Post(s)
Liked 1,671 Times in 955 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrstott
I’ll essentially need what’s required for a frame-up build.
What you will need for a frame up build will depend somewhat on the components you will be installing. No sense buying tools for installing a square taper bottom bracket if you are installing a modern 2 piece crank with a press fit bottom bracket. Some tools you need for removal are not necessary for installation. If you study videos of installing various parts you will see the tools that were used during the process. For example: if you watch a good mechanic installing a Shimano Hollowtech II crank you will see that the mechanic requires a torque wrench to tighten the pinch bolts, therefore if you buy such a crank you need one. When you buy components, installation instructions are usually included showing you what you need for the job.
Old 04-02-21, 01:50 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by alcjphil
What you will need for a frame up build will depend somewhat on the components you will be installing. No sense buying tools for installing a square taper bottom bracket if you are installing a modern 2 piece crank with a press fit bottom bracket.
Since the OP states they have an old Giant frame they likely do not have a press fit BB.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-02-21, 03:17 PM
billridesbikes

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 347 Post(s)
Liked 418 Times in 250 Posts
For a basic homework shop to build up a frame and keep it going:

Allen keys 1.5, 2, 2.5, 3, 4, 5, 6, 8mm are most often used.
A track pump
chain cleaner and rags
cleaning brushes
pliers - flat and needle nose
screwdrivers (small and large, flat and phillips)
set of metric open-ended wrenches 6mm-18mm
metric ratcheting wrench set (why is is the driver 1/2" or 3/4" for a metric wrench set? I don't know)
adjustable wrench
cable cutters
cassette lock ring tool
chain whip (2)
shop quality chain tool
cable puller
something to poke stuff with, like a sharp awl.
A hammer with a nylon head - because some stuff needs just a little tap
star nut setter (optional - but nice to have)
cone wrenches - 13mm, 15mm, and 17mm. Best to have these in pairs.
pedal wrench
chain checker (but you can use a steel ruler instead).
A torque wrench - modern bikes have lots of steel fasteners that attach aluminum and carbon fiber parts. Getting the torque right is essential for safety. Maybe some of the BF guys that can get the right torque by 'feel', whatever, but it's better to take the guess work out.
crank puller tool
bottom bracket tools (optional) - bottom brackets and headset installation: I often just have the bike shop do the BB and headset on a new frame, even if I have the tools the LBS can do it faster and better than I can.
headset wrenches (optional)
wheel-truing stand (optional) - Again I prefer to have the the LBS do my wheel truing, but sometimes you got a ride in the morning and a wobbly wheel at 10pm.
spoke keys.

Some files (flat and half-round)
Hacksaws (standard and junior)
A electric drill with titanium bits and the PPE to go with it.
A wire brush to remove old glue if you run sewups

A stable work-stand is kind of essential.
A bench vise may come in handy too
Likes For billridesbikes:
Old 04-02-21, 08:12 PM
scott967

Bikes: 89 Paramount OS 84 Fuji Touring Series III New! 2013 Focus Izalco Ergoride

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked 74 Times in 54 Posts
Older frame? If square taper a crank puller and the appropriate spanners to remove the cups. Maybe a wrench for a threaded steerer (though adjustable wrench might work in a pinch). Tool to remove freewheel (depends on freewheel) or chainwhip / cassette tools. Couple of the thin cone wrenches to adjust wheel bearings (need to check size needed). If you are removing the headset cups you can buy a "torpedo" or I made a DIYer out of some electrical conduit.

scott s.
Old 04-02-21, 08:13 PM
cpach

Bikes: Too many. Giant Trance X 29, Surly Midnight Special get the most time.

Mentioned: 26 Post(s)
Quoted: 530 Post(s)
Liked 311 Times in 235 Posts
Originally Posted by Mrstott
I searched tools and didn稚 yield many results. Hopefully this post is in the right place.

I知 just kind of getting into working on my road bikes and I知 curious if anyone has info or can provide a simple list of the basic tools one would need for preventative maintenance, tune ups, etc.

I have metric and standard hex sets, screw drivers, etc. but I知 asking more for those specialty type tools.

I have an old giant frame that I知 going to likely repaint and build. So I値l essentially need what痴 required for a frame-up build.

I own and ride sport bikes and do all the work myself. Just looking for some guidance on a good starting point.

Semi-obviously a good work stand. My personal favorite portable/non shop stand is the Feedback Sports Elite, but it's pricy. Park PCS-10 is what I had for like a decade personally and it's fine.

If you're repainting you'll need to remove the bottom bracket and headset cups. If it's a threaded bb you should get whatever tool it needs, if it's pressfit you should weigh the cost of appropriate bearing pullers and press over bringing it into a shop, and same deal with the hs cups. You can diy solutions for both of these also遥ou can slot pipe to make removal tools for pf bbs and hs cups.

You will definitely need a chain tool. For home use the Park CT-5 works fine and is a good value. A quick link tool is also a good idea to have. If you have cup and cone bearing hubs cone wrenches are good to own-13 and 15mm will work 90% on most bikes. Chain whip and cassette lockring tool.

Don't worry too much about getting every possible tool you may need, it's generally better to get what you need as you need it.
Old 04-02-21, 09:02 PM
Mrstott

Bikes: LOOK kg96 Team Replica, Miyata 914, Giant Peloton Lite, Cannondale R4000si

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Wow. Thanks for all the advice everyone. A lively, active board. I like it.

I guess I知 just over thinking it a bit too much. I値l buy the tools as I go, I値l start with a nice stand.

Thanks again!
Old 04-02-21, 10:10 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
This should get you started:

Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-02-21, 11:45 PM
Mrstott

Liked 1 Time in 1 Post
Beautiful tool selection. One day I値l get there. Just going to have to do it a tool/task at a time.
Old 04-03-21, 10:11 AM
Gresp15C

Mentioned: 20 Post(s)
Quoted: 1062 Post(s)
Liked 665 Times in 421 Posts
This is my bike tool collection, built up over 40+ years, with some odd bike parts thrown in as well, don't know why they're in there. My approach is: First see if it can be done with my regular household tools. Next, borrow, buy, or make a special purpose tool when the need arises. You can see some homemade tools in there.

If you ask 100 cyclists, all with similar bikes, what tools they "need," the answers will run the gamut. You have to decide what your real hobby is: Cycling, bike tinkering, or tool collecting, or any combination of those things. It's all good, but each approach leads to a different collection of tools.

Likes For Gresp15C:
Old 04-03-21, 02:40 PM
Retro Grouch 

Bikes: Catrike 559 I own some others but they don't get ridden very much.

Mentioned: 16 Post(s)
Quoted: 1572 Post(s)
Liked 642 Times in 363 Posts
It won't do everything but you'll be surprised at how far just a 5mm allen wrench will take you.