Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Freehub removal/installation tool

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 04-10-21, 06:35 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Bikes: Diamondback Wildwood Classic

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 317 Post(s)
Liked 280 Times in 195 Posts

I got it how some freehubs can be removed from the hub with a 10mm hex wrench but I have run across another type that needs a different tool and looking for some help ID'ing the tool.

I researched quite a few YouTube items on this and most suggest the 10mm hex and some mentioned a 12mm or 14 mm or even a 15mm hex, seems these don't fit and I have also tried a 55 and 60 size star (torque). I even visited one of my LBS and they couldn't offer a suggestion (I don't think they replace freehubs, just the whole rim). I looked at Park Tool stuff and don't see anything particular there either.

Turning to the forum for some help/direction.

Tried taking a picture of the inside of the hub as I can see some splines but it was tough, here are a couple of shots.

No, there are not and brand markings I can see, the hub does have a place to mount a disk rotor but when the wheel came to me, there was no rotor attached. I am trying to salvage this freehub to mount it on another wheel that has a freehub (paw) problem. I am not looking to disassemble the freehub to service it, just remove and reinstall on another hub.

Thanks to all that can help

Old 04-10-21, 07:06 AM
RocThrower

Bikes: Space Horse Disc, Domane SL5 Disc

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 64 Post(s)
Liked 29 Times in 17 Posts
I had a hub that required an 11mm hex wrench to remove the freehub body. They are not a common size, but I was able to order one off of Amazon I believe. Park also makes one: https://www.parktool.com/product/11mm-hex-wrench-hr-11. It looks like that hub accepts a hex wrench, and if a 10 and 12mm don't work the 11mm be what you need.
Likes For RocThrower:
Old 04-10-21, 07:38 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by RocThrower
I had a hub that required an 11mm hex wrench to remove the freehub body. They are not a common size, but I was able to order one off of Amazon I believe. Park also makes one: https://www.parktool.com/product/11mm-hex-wrench-hr-11. It looks like that hub accepts a hex wrench, and if a 10 and 12mm don't work the 11mm be what you need.

Thank you, Found a long Elkind 11mm hex wrench on ebay..... should be here by Wednesday

Old 04-10-21, 09:10 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by JoeTBM
I got it how some freehubs can be removed from the hub with a 10mm hex wrench but I have run across another type that needs a different tool and looking for some help ID'ing the tool.

I researched quite a few YouTube items on this and most suggest the 10mm hex and some mentioned a 12mm or 14 mm or even a 15mm hex, seems these don't fit and I have also tried a 55 and 60 size star (TORX). I even visited one of my LBS and they couldn't offer a suggestion (I don't think they replace freehubs, just the whole WHEEL). I looked at Park Tool stuff and don't see anything particular there either.

Turning to the forum for some help/direction.

Tried taking a picture of the inside of the hub as I can see some splines but it was tough, here are a couple of shots.

No, there are not and brand markings I can see, the hub does have a place to mount a disk rotor but when the wheel came to me, there was no rotor attached. I am trying to salvage this freehub to mount it on another wheel that has a freehub (PAWL) problem. I am not looking to disassemble the freehub to service it, just remove and reinstall on another hub.

Thanks to all that can help

Just correcting your terminology for future use. And that 11mm should be what you're looking for.
Likes For cxwrench:
Old 04-10-21, 11:34 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by cxwrench
Just correcting your terminology for future use. And that 11mm should be what you're looking for.
Since it is an Acument Global Technologies trademarked term, to be totally correct it should be written as Torx®
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 04-10-21, 03:31 PM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Since it is an Acument Global Technologies trademarked term, to be totally correct it should be written as Torx®
Great, now I'm gonna get a bill from someone!
Old 04-11-21, 06:00 PM
MudPie

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 114 Post(s)
Liked 119 Times in 92 Posts
I have a Bontrager freehub that needed an 11mm hex bit. I successfully used a 7/16 hex bit as as substitute.
11mm = .4331
7/16 = .4375

I remember paying good money for that 1/2” drive socket but with 7/16” hex. It was a professional line of tools, but I like tools. When I bought the replacement free hub from Trek LBS, it came with an 11mm hex that accepted a more common hex bit, like 8 or 10mm. The 7/16” hex tool cost more than the freehub.
Likes For MudPie:
Old 04-11-21, 07:03 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
And expect the freehub body to be REALLY tightly secured in the shell. We have had serious spoke untensioning happen while two of us turn the wheel with the wrench held in the Wilton vise. Andy
Old 04-11-21, 09:09 PM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by Andrew R Stewart
And expect the freehub body to be REALLY tightly secured in the shell. We have had serious spoke untensioning happen while two of us turn the wheel with the wrench held in the Wilton vise. Andy
Thanks Andy

Old 04-13-21, 02:10 PM
mrrabbit 

Bikes: 2001 Tommasini Sintesi w/ Campagnolo Daytona 10 Speed

Mentioned: 5 Post(s)
Quoted: 145 Post(s)
Liked 35 Times in 30 Posts
Some hubs like the Chosen A5012 are part.

1. Locknut inside hub on non-drive side is loosened first.
2. Then freehub is loosened and removed.

Both sides use a 11mm allen wrench.

=8-|

Disclaimer:

1. I do not claim to be an expert in bicycle mechanics despite my experience.
2. I like anyone will comment in other areas.
3. I do not own the preexisting concepts of DISH and ERD.
4. I will provide information as I always have to others that I believe will help them protect themselves from unscrupulous mechanics.
5. My all time favorite book is:

Kahane, Howard. Logic and Contemporary Rhetoric: The Use of Reason in Everyday Life
Likes For mrrabbit:
Old 04-14-21, 02:04 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Originally Posted by mrrabbit
Some hubs like the Chosen A5012 are part.

1. Locknut inside hub on non-drive side is loosened first.
2. Then freehub is loosened and removed.

Both sides use a 11mm allen wrench.

=8-|
Thanks, still waiting on the arrival of the long 11mm hex key, I will keep it in mind when we finally get to disassemble.

Old 04-22-21, 03:30 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Well, finally got the 11mm hex in Tuesday, as the hub is out of the wheel that we want to salvage the freehub from, we secured it to the work bench but could not get it to budge even with a cheater bar on the Allen key. Going to try again today with one of my younger volunteers who is coming in. It did not appear to heave anything in the way of a locknut on the non-drive side

Old 04-22-21, 08:16 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4195 Post(s)
Liked 3,837 Times in 2,295 Posts
Some freehub bodies thread in with a left hand direction, make sure you're trying to loosen it in the correct direction. We have seen spokes become un tensioned with the force to loosen some FH bodies up. Try placing the wrench in a bench vise and using the rim as the lever arm. Having two people do the loosening can help prevent the wheel from collapsing from the efforts. Andy
Old 04-23-21, 02:44 AM
JoeTBM 
Droid on a mission

Some freehub bodies thread in with a left hand direction, make sure you're trying to loosen it in the correct direction. We have seen spokes become un tensioned with the force to loosen some FH bodies up. Try placing the wrench in a bench vise and using the rim as the lever arm. Having two people do the loosening can help prevent the wheel from collapsing from the efforts. Andy
Well, unless I want to re-spoke this hub into a rim, I won't be able to do it that way. Going to need a longer cheater bar, it won't budge in either direction