Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Hudz brake hoods and FlightDeck re-setting too often

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-11-21, 02:05 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts

I’ve fitted “Hudz” replacement brake hoods on my Dura Ace 7800 (2 x 10 gearing) bike with Flight Deck. I like the old FlightDeck system when it works properly. The LCD gear readout is helpful, as is the “virtual cadence” feature.
My theory is that the Hudz fitment on the 7800 lever body is not nearly as good as the Shimano factory ones. The little nubs that actuate the buttons for FlightDeck might stand too proud causing the “stop/start” and “reset” functions to self actuate. Really, really annoying. Also, the menus toggle themselves! This symptom is likely secondary to whatever is triggering the other issues.
I peeled back the hoods to check the contacts and use contact cleaner on a Q-tip a couple of times and the Rubber compound for the Hudz tears easily so my replacement hoods are pretty much perished after one year of use....
I know that FlightDeck is no longer used by hardly anyone, but if you happen to be a person who manages to keep it set up properly could you comment on the crazy experience with Hudz that I have documented?
Old 04-11-21, 02:22 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Sounds like it is time to break out the diagonal cutters or nail clippers and trim down the little nubs.
Old 04-11-21, 02:24 PM
masi61

Bikes: Puch Marco Polo, Saint Tropez, Masi Gran Criterium

Mentioned: 25 Post(s)
Quoted: 1163 Post(s)
Liked 442 Times in 315 Posts
Originally Posted by dsbrantjr
Sounds like it is time to break out the diagonal cutters or nail clippers and trim down the little nubs.
Why?
Old 04-11-21, 02:53 PM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4204 Post(s)
Liked 3,861 Times in 2,309 Posts
I would first source a spare set of hoods, then try to remove material from inside the hoods where the buttons are. If you screw up install the spare pair and suffer with less then ideal compatibility. Or as my coworkers tell me about my equipment choices "It's time to move into the current century" Andy