Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets
Reload this Page >

iPOD MINI (or whatever) SCANDISK replacement (and earbuds and iPhone ETC)

Search
Notices
Electronics, Lighting, & Gadgets HRM, GPS, MP3, HID. Whether it's got an acronym or not, here's where you'll find discussions on all sorts of tools, toys and gadgets.

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-20, 03:14 PM
freesafety22

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts

gents.
i had an ipod mini or whatever they call it. tiny little thing. just an on off button and a volume knob and a forward and backward song choice. only thing it lacked was the ability to swap the UP and DOWN volume with the FORWARD SONG and BACKWARD SONG so you could customize it a tiny bit. anyway, mine bit the dust.
so now i am trying to figure out how to load songs to my iPHONE.
1. is there a good way to carry the iphone when bicycling? to be honest i hate using it since if i drop it it will crack. but also i can't do something simply like go forward a song without hazarding pulling it out of my pocket.
ALSO. i now have a SCANDISK since i gave up on trying to find an IPOD mini with a working battery.
any suggestions on a good set of earpieces?
i figure if i get both of these sorted i will have music on my rides.
THANKS.
jonathan
Old 04-30-20, 03:36 PM
caloso

Bikes: Specialized Tarmac, Canyon Exceed, Specialized Transition, Ellsworth Roots, Ridley Excalibur

Mentioned: 68 Post(s)
Quoted: 2952 Post(s)
Liked 3,106 Times in 1,417 Posts
I put my iphone in my jersey pocket. I have some BT earbuds that let me FF and REV by long-holding the volume up and down buttons. Most of the time I'm listening to podcasts with one ear bud in, but I also have my Amazon music on my phone.
Old 05-01-20, 10:01 AM
Garfield Cat

Bikes: Cervelo Prodigy

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 478 Post(s)
Liked 87 Times in 67 Posts
iPod and iPhone means you're an Apple user. It also means you have iTunes on your desktop or laptop and are registered there, perhaps a purchaser of songs there.

Its at iTunes software that allows you to transport songs from the iTunes to any other Apply device that you have.

I created "play lists" or what I call "folders" on iTunes software. From there I connect that white Apply cable to allow data to be shared with any of my devices. If you don't know how, and since you're an Apple user, just call their 800 number and let them walk you through the procedures.

P.S. I carry both my iPhone X and my i Pod with me when I ride. Instead of that small saddle bag, I carry a lumbar bag around my waist and the bag hangs on my backside. That's where the iPhone X is placed. With the i Pod, I have two alternatives. Why two? First, the assumption is that the i Pod has Bluetooth technology. Second its about the jersey that I am wearing that day. Its either long sleeve Under Armour Cold compression or a short sleeve jersey.

When wearing a long sleeve jersey, I slip the i Pod into the sleeve and allow the unit to send the music via Bluetooth technology to my JBL portable speaker. With a short sleeve jersey, I put the i Pod into the lumbar bag.

I stopped using any kind of ear bud or device while riding. Instead its a real speaker. This requires a little bit of more thinking as to how the speaker is to be located. But its worth it.

For group rides, I don't use any kind of music since it will distract me from the group ride. When riding solo, I really don't care how fast I go, or whatever.

Mountainsmith Tour Lumbar Pack

4.25(18)rated 4.25 out of 5 with 18 reviews
Item #895174
$59.93

Last edited by Garfield Cat; 05-01-20 at 10:04 AM.
Old 05-02-20, 04:12 PM
adamrice 
mosquito rancher

Bikes: Bob Jackson 853 Arrowhead; Felt VR30; Kinesis UK RTD; Hujsak tandem

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 206 Post(s)
Liked 181 Times in 133 Posts
I carry my phone in my jersey pocket. I am planning on experimenting with putting a Garmin adapter on a phone case, and sticking the phone in front using a Garmin mount for situations where I need to use navigation.

I won't put anything in my ears that might degrade my situational awareness, but I have been thinking about getting a bone-conduction headset.

Garfield Cat has it on how to get music onto your phone, although you can probably sync the phone over wifi. I never plug my phone into my computer anymore.
Old 05-10-20, 02:30 PM
trestlehed

Bikes: Santa Cruz Heckler, EZ Sport AX, Lightfoot Rambler, Electra Townie 24D "The Holy Grail of Beach Cruisers"

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 2 Times in 2 Posts
Some neat tech gadgets that work for me:

Bluetooth earphones: "Sweatproof and waterproof wireless sport earbuds designed with Always Aware™ eartips that allow you to hear your surroundings for safer training in any environment":
https://www.plantronics.com/us/en/pr...kbeat-fit-2100

Bluetooth Speaker. It's HEAVY. Comes with water bottle mounting option for bikes:
Celtic Blu Bluetooth Speaker for bicycle and golf cart

Handlebar mount phone holder. If it's good enough for motorcycle riders, it's good enough for me:
https://www.amazon.com/Design-Motorc...s%2C294&sr=8-2

Last edited by trestlehed; 05-10-20 at 02:48 PM. Reason: .