Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

'17 Db Recoil 29 Crank Removal Questions

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 11-05-20, 06:25 AM
CiscoKydd

Bikes: 2017 Diamondback Recoil 29

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

I need some help with my 2017 Recoil 29. A neighbor sold it to me for $10. The tires were flat. Brake cables were cut (no brakes). It had only one working gear. And more. So I decided to make it my Winter project.
It has an SR Suntour XCC crank that I want to remove. Especially since someone used oil-based paint on the frame, crank and pedals (and wheels, brake and gear cables, handlebar, etc.)
Does anyone know which tools I will need to remove the crankset? I tried but could not get the information online.I ordered a standard crank puller set on eBay. But it was too big. The bottom bracket has 16 slots in it but I don't know the size of the socket I will need. And, to be sure this never happens again, I ordered a micrometer.
There is a cotter pin inside the the left, non-drive side crank arm. Does anyone know what it's there for?
Thank you for any help or ideas on this.

Last edited by CiscoKydd; 11-11-20 at 07:00 PM.
Old 11-05-20, 08:36 AM
andrewclaus

Bikes: 2016 Fuji Tread, 1983 Trek 520

Mentioned: 13 Post(s)
Quoted: 669 Post(s)
Liked 725 Times in 422 Posts
From what I can see, that crank goes on a standard square tapered cartridge bottom bracket. Remove the crank bolt, either a 14 mm socket or 8 mm Allen, then use the correct crank puller (provide a link to the tool you bought).
Old 11-05-20, 11:25 AM
gsa103

Bikes: Bianchi Infinito (Celeste, of course)

Mentioned: 19 Post(s)
Quoted: 754 Post(s)
Liked 104 Times in 77 Posts
Yep, that looks like a standard square taper crank set. The main thing when using a crank puller is that make sure that the outer threads are fully threaded on before you start engaging the center mechanism.
What tool did you use? There are also ISIS/Octalink crank pullers, which look very similar but have a slightly different sized push area, and they don't quite match.