Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Road Cycling
Reload this Page >

Addiction 2021.1

Notices
Road Cycling “It is by riding a bicycle that you learn the contours of a country best, since you have to sweat up the hills and coast down them. Thus you remember them as they actually are, while in a motor car only a high hill impresses you, and you have no such accurate remembrance of country you have driven through as you gain by riding a bicycle.” -- Ernest Hemingway

Addiction 2021.1

Old 02-01-21, 08:51 AM
WhyFi

Bikes: R3 Disc, Haanjo

Mentioned: 353 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20791 Post(s)
Liked 9,436 Times in 4,663 Posts
Originally Posted by Trsnrtr
Walks in the snow are magical in my opinion. I'm not generally up for walks but I've done a few this winter in the snow and have to say that they've been enjoyable.
The wife wanted to get out on a family walk over the weekend. We'd normally walk around the neighborhood or through a park area around a little man-made lake. To switch it up a little, I took them to the creek, which is (mostly) frozen over. The kids loved it, particularly walking on the creek. The wife wasn't so fond of some sections of thin ice, though, even after I explained that breaking through would result in wet boots, at most.
Old 02-01-21, 08:58 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Tagged: 2 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28450 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Originally Posted by datlas
Slow morning. Everyone must be busy doing telemedicine visits with their physicians.
Nope. Watching the snow pile up outside, I cleaned some documents from the desk and learned what potash is. Who knew?

Originally Posted by MoAlpha
Ocean sailors live in conditions of constant wet and stink and sit for hours in the cold and dark on disrupted sleep.
Sounds fun! Where's my crew invite?
Originally Posted by rjones28
The cyclocross world championships were a day at the beach.
wut
Originally Posted by LAJ
Look around. We're all riding away from something.
Almost all my rides I end up right where I started.
Old 02-01-21, 08:58 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,228 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
I can jump on the bike at any time and crack off a 200 or 300k, and not really think about it.
Originally Posted by WhyFi
I'll be able to knock out an imperial century at the drop of a hat...I was still feeling pretty fresh after a double metric.
Ah, so that's what my fitness goals are. Never could define it myself it seems, but yeah, that's it.

Doing such rides at a reasonable pace would be nice, too.
Likes For abshipp:
Old 02-01-21, 09:02 AM
WhyFi

I've said something similar to friends numerous times over the year. I tend to do most of my long hours type riding solo and many, if not most, of my friends don't understand at all.
Long solo rides are great. On Wednesdays, I've got the option of the usual group ride in the evening, but when I'm not in the mood for the company of others, I'll often squeeze out by myself earlier in the day. Those are usually my longest rides - if I want to be by myself, I figure that I might as well do it right and if I'm going to skip out on the guys, it's gotta be big enough that they can't rightfully give me **** about it.
Old 02-01-21, 09:09 AM
WhyFi

Originally Posted by abshipp
Ah, so that's what my fitness goals are. Never could define it myself it seems, but yeah, that's it.

Yeah, doing a century and not being uselessly wiped for the rest of the day is a good feeling.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-01-21, 09:19 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts
The cyclocross world championships were a day at the beach.

I watched a preview lap Curtis White did, sand looked brutal.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-01-21, 09:21 AM
phrantic09
Fat n slow

Bikes: Cervelo R3, Giant Revolt

Quoted: 3229 Post(s)
Liked 2,034 Times in 966 Posts

same here.
Likes For phrantic09:
Old 02-01-21, 09:27 AM
rjones28 
Mostly Harmless

Bikes: Have two wheels

Mentioned: 169 Post(s)
Quoted: 13644 Post(s)
Liked 4,455 Times in 2,472 Posts
Originally Posted by Velo Vol
Nope. Watching the snow pile up outside, I cleaned some documents from the desk and learned what potash is. Who knew?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YMDJA4UvXLA

wut

Here's a recon lap. The rider's commentary amused me.

Likes For rjones28:
Old 02-01-21, 09:32 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Bikes: Shmikes

Mentioned: 58 Post(s)
Quoted: 10104 Post(s)
Liked 5,784 Times in 3,112 Posts
Originally Posted by LAJ
All the more reason to do it.

Epic doesn't just come knocking at your door every day.
Texted the owner this a.m. and told him I needed to think and maybe look at pulling the retirement lever.

If I do this and it's the adventure of a lifetime, I'll thank you from the bottom of my heart. If I die, it will be with your name on my lips too!
Likes For MoAlpha:
Old 02-01-21, 09:32 AM
WhyFi

So I had to call the police last night... on my mother in law.

Every Sunday, since my father in law passed last year, my wife and kids have done Skype calls with my mother in law. With the winter "storm" bearing down on Williamsburg, my wife was concerned about her mom and was looking forward to their usual Sunday chat. But her mom didn't answer her phone. Didn't respond to texts. Wasn't signed on to Skype. Starting to worry in the afternoon, my wife reached out to her brother, who also lives in Williamsburg and ~assists their mother. No response to texts or calls or emails - total radio silence from Williamsburg through the evening.

Of course my wife starts looking at the news, seeing reports of the usual pile-ups that occur in the area when there's winter precipitation, which worries her even more. By bed time, my wife still hasn't heard anything and she's visibly trembling with worry. I ask her what she wants to do about it. She doesn't know what to do. She'd rather know nothing and worry than do something and possibly hear bad, bad news. She decides to take a shower and try to get some sleep.

I knew that she would never be able to sleep, so while she was in the shower, I called non-emergency police dispatch in Williamsburg. With a large retirement community, I got the feeling that these kinds of calls weren't unusual. 10 minutes later, I got a return call from a police officer, letting me know that he'd been to the house and had spoken with my mother in law and brother in law, and that everything was a-okay. 30 seconds later, the in-laws called my wife. My elderly mother in law didn't know why her phone never rang and didn't want to bother my wife if we were busy, standing Sunday Skype call notwithstanding. The slovenly brother in law? Oh, his phone was upstairs all day, and he was downstairs, probably watching TV
Old 02-01-21, 09:35 AM
MoAlpha
• —

There's only room for one whiner.
Old 02-01-21, 09:38 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Every Sunday, since my father in law passed last year, my wife and kids have done Skype calls with my mother in law. With the winter "storm" bearing down on Williamsburg, my wife was concerned about her mom and was looking forward to their usual Sunday chat. But her mom didn't answer her phone. Didn't respond to texts. Wasn't signed on to Skype. Starting to worry in the afternoon, my wife reached out to her brother, who also lives in Williamsburg and ~assists their mother. No response to texts or calls or emails - total radio silence from Williamsburg through the evening.

Of course my wife starts looking at the news, seeing reports of the usual pile-ups that occur in the area when there's winter precipitation, which worries her even more. By bed time, my wife still hasn't heard anything and she's visibly trembling with worry. I ask her what she wants to do about it. She doesn't know what to do. She'd rather know nothing and worry than do something and possibly hear bad, bad news. She decides to take a shower and try to get some sleep.

I knew that she would never be able to sleep, so while she was in the shower, I called non-emergency police dispatch in Williamsburg. With a large retirement community, I got the feeling that these kinds of calls weren't unusual. 10 minutes later, I got a return call from a police officer, letting me know that he'd been to the house and had spoken with my mother in law and brother in law, and that everything was a-okay. 30 seconds later, the in-laws called my wife. My elderly mother in law didn't know why her phone never rang and didn't want to bother my wife if we were busy, standing Sunday Skype call notwithstanding. The slovenly brother in law? Oh, his phone was upstairs all day, and he was downstairs, probably watching TV
Bad. Why didn't the mom's phone ring, though?
Old 02-01-21, 09:42 AM
indyfabz

Mentioned: 210 Post(s)
Quoted: 18327 Post(s)
Liked 15,307 Times in 7,234 Posts
Getting heavy sleet. Allegedly going to turn back to snow. I think the snow totals in the city are going to a lot less than forecast.
Old 02-01-21, 09:45 AM
WhyFi

Bad. Why didn't the mom's phone ring, though?
I don't know if they've figured it out yet and I don't know why she wouldn't have at least looked at her phone and seen notifications of missed calls and texts. My brother in law has a decent grasp on tech, but he just sits around, doing mostly nothing. My mother in law is firmly in the put-tape-over-the-flashing-clock-on-the-VCR territory.
Old 02-01-21, 09:48 AM
bampilot06

Bikes: Madone, Emonda, 5500, Ritchey Breakaway

Quoted: 10081 Post(s)
Liked 5,055 Times in 2,159 Posts

Glad they were okay. Sorry, I didn’t see your message til this morning.
Likes For bampilot06:
Old 02-01-21, 09:49 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11329 Post(s)
Liked 4,638 Times in 2,704 Posts
Of course they do. As do most of your posts.
Old 02-01-21, 09:53 AM
Velo Vol 
VFL For Life

Bikes: Velo Volmobile

Mentioned: 780 Post(s)
Quoted: 28450 Post(s)
Liked 1,832 Times in 1,300 Posts
Here's a recon lap. The rider's commentary amused me.
This is the dumbest thing I will see today.

Which part of the beach makes for fastest average speed?

(a) dry sand
(b) wet sand, no water
(c) in the water

Discuss.
There's only room for one whiner.
I promise to pull my weight, once I figure out which side is the starboard side and which side is whatever the other one is called.
Likes For Velo Vol:
Old 02-01-21, 09:54 AM
abshipp 

Bikes: 1975 Motobecane Grand Jubile, 2020 Holdsworth Competition, 2022 Giant Trance 29 3

Mentioned: 42 Post(s)
Quoted: 3332 Post(s)
Liked 3,566 Times in 1,228 Posts
Yeah, doing a century and not being uselessly wiped for the rest of the day is a good feeling.
I'm hoping the power meter will help with that. Both with getting stronger and with pacing.

I'm all right with being wiped for the rest of the day, it's how long it takes to complete that annoys me. I'd love to get to a sub 4h metric and maybe sub 6.5h imperial. Last imperial I did was close to 7.5h on the bike
Old 02-01-21, 09:56 AM
LAJ
So it is

Bikes: Luzerne, 684, Boreas, Wheelhouse, Alize©®, Bayamo, Cayo

Mentioned: 245 Post(s)
Quoted: 11329 Post(s)
Liked 4,638 Times in 2,704 Posts
Texted the owner this a.m. and told him I needed to think and maybe look at pulling the retirement lever.

If I do this and it's the adventure of a lifetime, I'll thank you from the bottom of my heart. If I die, it will be with your name on my lips too!
Fate be with us both, I'll be here waiting for the tale. You know the thing.... Approaching the end of our time with a worn out body, and a smile on our face.
Old 02-01-21, 10:03 AM
MoAlpha
• —

Originally Posted by LAJ
Approaching the end of our time with a worn out body, and a smile on our face.
We'll see. Much to think about and plan for and yeah, as I think I've said here before, I tell my doc to titrate the statin dosage such that I don't outlive my spouse, my joints, or my money.
Old 02-01-21, 10:03 AM
WhyFi

I'd love to get to a sub 4h metric and maybe sub 6.5h imperial. Last imperial I did was close to 7.5h on the bike
Easy peasy - you'll get there.
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-01-21, 10:06 AM
datlas 
Should Be More Popular

Bikes: 1986 Alpine (steel road bike), 2009 Ti Habenero, 2013 Specialized Roubaix

Mentioned: 560 Post(s)
Quoted: 22516 Post(s)
Liked 8,845 Times in 4,115 Posts
More adventures in snow-blower/small engines.

Recall the issue is that the engine starts RIGHT UP, runs for 30 seconds, then dies. Restart, runs 30 seconds again, then dies. Etc.

I took the housing off to expose the carburetor. Removed the bowl. Lots of flow of gas, so the idea that the gas line is not flowing properly is wrong. What a mess!

After I took off the bowl I did spray the needles and float and innards, best I could, with cleaner. I only had "throttle body" cleaner which I think is good enough.

I did not get a chance to test if this solved the problem, but will issue a report later today.
Old 02-01-21, 10:10 AM
WhyFi

I promise to pull my weight, once I figure out which side is the starboard side and which side is whatever the other one is called.
With this kind of determination, how could he say no?
Likes For WhyFi:
Old 02-01-21, 10:11 AM
big john

Mentioned: 8 Post(s)
Quoted: 8194 Post(s)
Liked 8,869 Times in 4,402 Posts
I'm not in shape to do it.

But I think ten years ago (pre-RA), had I really developed a taste for climbing, 18 hours could have been within the realm of possibility.
What is the most climbing you've done in a single ride?

I've always loved climbing rides, love the mountains and the hills. Before Garmins and all the GPS stuff we didn't have good info on climbing data and eventually we got Avocet altimeters which were barometric pressure based. Not super accurate. I don't know how much climbing I really did back in the 80s and early 90s.

I know later I did 12,000 feet on one 75 mile ride and several 10K foot centuries, along with climbs of 7K in 25-30 miles. I can't see doing 30K in one ride. No chance.

When I was younger I climbed @ 220 pounds and I was able to do whatever rides my club did, I just was near the back of the pack. I'm no good at sleep deprivation. I have friends who do the Furnace Creek 508, now the Silver State 508, and Paris Brest Paris. No, thanks. I have to sleep

BF member Vireo has done several Everest rides. I've ridden with him multiple times and the last time I saw him he made small riding bibs look baggy. Seriously thin.
Old 02-01-21, 10:19 AM
ls01
he said member

Bikes: yes please

Mentioned: 4 Post(s)
Quoted: 2762 Post(s)
Liked 1,932 Times in 1,193 Posts
I've said something similar to friends numerous times over the year. I tend to do most of my long hours type riding solo and many, if not most, of my friends don't understand at all.
There is something about riding 100 miles solo. Some times its great, sometimes it sucks harder than a Hoover. But I don't regret any that I have done.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.