Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

kids' bike wheels conversion to QR feasible?

Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Old 03-28-21, 05:13 AM
el forestero

Bikes: 2020 Trek Domane AL 3, 2019 Giant Escape RX Disc

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 52 Post(s)
Liked 15 Times in 10 Posts

I recently bought this kids' bike: https://www.giant-bicycles.com/us/escape-jr-24

The bike's spec sheets says it has "Joytech nutted type, 32H" hubs. There's some kind of black cap or nut with shallow grooves on it where I'm used to seeing quick release skewer ends on adult bikes. See pics below. I don't even know what tool is supposed to be used to take that black cap/nut off. Anybody know? It seems to be on too tight to just remove by hand.

Is it feasible to install QR skewers on wheels with this type of hub? If not, is it feasible to take off that hub, buy a QR-compatible hub and lace the spokes to it instead?

Old 03-28-21, 06:17 AM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
It's a kids bike likely just a plastic protector to prevent "injuries" from a axle end. Probably pops right off exposing a nut. If it's actually metal a pair of vise grips or pliers will probably unscrew it.
To go QR you'd have to replace the axle with a correct thread and length hollow axle and skewer. A lot easier than replacing the hub.

​​​​​​
Likes For dedhed:
Old 03-28-21, 06:48 AM
hokiefyd 

Bikes: More bikes than riders

Mentioned: 36 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 749 Times in 559 Posts
Yes -- just wiggle that black cap side to side to pull it off (it may take a pair of pliers to get enough purchase on it). I bet there's a hex pattern inside that's designed to engage with and fit over the axle nut. That, or the material is soft enough to where it just conforms to the nut when it's pushed on.
Likes For hokiefyd:
Old 03-28-21, 08:39 AM
el forestero

Thanks for the replies, all. The conversion looks like a fun project for a rainy day.
Old 03-28-21, 01:36 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Depending upon the size and strength of the kid, they may not have enough hand strength to close a QR sufficiently tightly. Using the internal cam type will help some, but....
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-28-21, 01:38 PM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
Originally Posted by hokiefyd
Yes -- just wiggle that black cap side to side to pull it off (it may take a pair of pliers to get enough purchase on it). I bet there's a hex pattern inside that's designed to engage with and fit over the axle nut. That, or the material is soft enough to where it just conforms to the nut when it's pushed on.
You can see the impression of the hex nut in the plastic cover by the lighter-colored stressed areas of the plastic.
Likes For dsbrantjr:
Old 03-28-21, 01:55 PM
Iride01 
I'm good to go!

Bikes: Tarmac Disc Comp Di2 - 2020

Mentioned: 50 Post(s)
Quoted: 6100 Post(s)
Liked 4,732 Times in 3,262 Posts
There is nothing magical about having QR's on your bike if you aren't always needing to remove your wheel.

I guess it might be a fun rainy day thing as you say, but to need to look like all the rest seems a tad ..... well I don't know what it seems like.
Old 03-28-21, 07:46 PM
el forestero

Originally Posted by Iride01
There is nothing magical about having QR's on your bike if you aren't always needing to remove your wheel.

I guess it might be a fun rainy day thing as you say, but to need to look like all the rest seems a tad ..... well I don't know what it seems like.
I have car interior and roof racks with fork mounts that I use to transport bikes, so QR is much more convenient for me. Just didn't have the budget for a bike that came with QR wheels this time. The parts needed for the conversion look like they'll be affordable though.
Likes For el forestero:
Old 03-28-21, 08:50 PM
Russ Roth

Bikes: 2010 Carrera Volans, 2015 C-Dale Trail 2sl, 2017 Raleigh Rush Hour, 2017 Blue Proseccio, 1992 Giant Perigee, 80s Gitane Rallye Tandem

Mentioned: 12 Post(s)
Quoted: 1073 Post(s)
Liked 999 Times in 710 Posts
Take the axle nut into a hardware store and there's usually someplace you can screw it on to and find out the thread pitch and diameter. I'd thought of doing this with an old trek MTB for a similar reason but the axle was an odd size for being a QR and the cheapest I could find was about 30.00. Cheaper QR axles are plentiful but then you need to find cones and lock nuts that fit and don't leave an excessive gap at the dust shield. Since you can't try till you buy on that one it seemed like too much hassle to bother.
Likes For Russ Roth:
Old 03-29-21, 03:03 AM
Geepig

Bikes: Romet Jubilat x 4, Wigry x 1, Turing x 1

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 194 Post(s)
Liked 204 Times in 151 Posts
I suppose whether one fits a QR or not depends on how the bike is to be ridden. My folks were not into family rides, so I needed a bike that could safely smack into things as I rode along an abandoned railway line to the next village at the age of 8 years and still get me home.

But for frequent transport - well, let that winter project roll on!
Likes For Geepig:
Old 03-29-21, 08:33 PM
oldbobcat

Bikes: '80 Masi Gran Criterium, '12 Trek Madone, early '60s Frejus track

Mentioned: 6 Post(s)
Quoted: 508 Post(s)
Liked 434 Times in 331 Posts
Bolted axles are 3/8". Quick release axles are 9.0 mm for front, 10.0 mm for rear. When converting you will need to replace the cones, lock nuts, and spacers. Remove the axle and take it with the the hardware and the wheel to a bike shop and they will help you find a replacement axle-cone assembly that will fit. You might also need to take a file to the frame to enlarge the dropouts.

I can guarantee that a hardware store will not have the nuts and cones you will need for a replacement axle.
Likes For oldbobcat:
Old 03-30-21, 05:09 AM
el forestero

Originally Posted by oldbobcat
Bolted axles are 3/8". Quick release axles are 9.0 mm for front, 10.0 mm for rear. When converting you will need to replace the cones, lock nuts, and spacers. Remove the axle and take it with the the hardware and the wheel to a bike shop and they will help you find a replacement axle-cone assembly that will fit. You might also need to take a file to the frame to enlarge the dropouts.

I can guarantee that a hardware store will not have the nuts and cones you will need for a replacement axle.
Thanks for the details and advice!
Old 03-30-21, 08:25 PM
dedhed
SE Wis

Bikes: '68 Raleigh Sprite, '02 Raleigh C500, '84 Raleigh Gran Prix, '91 Trek 400, 2013 Novara Randonee, 1990 Trek 970

Mentioned: 40 Post(s)
Quoted: 2731 Post(s)
Liked 3,361 Times in 2,034 Posts
Can't vouch for this product but...
​​​​​​https://www.amazon.com/Axle-Release-.../dp/B004Y97ZLK

Verify the thread but there are 3/8" X 26 tpi hollow axles out there. The other common threading is 3/8 - 24

​​​​​​https://porkchopbmx.com/porkchop-bmx...m-long-silver/
https://www.ebay.com/itm/BICYCLE-3-8...-/391521110659
Likes For dedhed: