Go Back  Bike Forums > Bike Forums > Bicycle Mechanics
Reload this Page >

Alchemy HELIOS - replacing rear derailleur hanger

Search
Notices
Bicycle Mechanics Broken bottom bracket? Tacoed wheel? If you're having problems with your bicycle, or just need help fixing a flat, drop in here for the latest on bicycle mechanics & bicycle maintenance.

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-21, 03:51 AM
Error

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts

Hi, i'm missing rear derailleur hanger for my Alchemy HELIOS frame set, so im looking to find new one.

Well i can't find original Alchemy, and i can't find declared replacement for alchemy, so is there any other option ?

to make one whit lathe machine ?, but material , thickness, size, length.... ?

tnx for any advice

V.
Old 04-07-21, 04:09 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 474 Posts
This one won't work? https://alchemybicycles.com/product/...illeur-hanger/
Old 04-07-21, 04:21 AM
Error

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked 0 Times in 0 Posts
I have sanded mail to Alchemy so will see (and as i see they don't send parts to Europe but hope they can make exception) .... but my frame is like this ..... and it doesn't look same to me ... looks like front part is much longer
Old 04-07-21, 07:27 AM
Andrew R Stewart 

Bikes: Stewart S&S coupled sport tourer, Stewart Sunday light, Stewart Commuting, Stewart Touring, Co Motion Tandem, Stewart 3-Spd, Stewart Track, Fuji Finest, Mongoose Tomac ATB, GT Bravado ATB, JCP Folder, Stewart 650B ATB

Quoted: 4197 Post(s)
Liked 3,849 Times in 2,300 Posts
Most hangers are made of Al. OEM versions are often forged but many aftermarket ones are machined/CNC. Depending what type of tooling you have access to one could mold a mock up with clay to get the interface fit right then add the der hole/tab lower portion. The lower part can me modeled after a know hanger. Scan this mock up and find a 3d printer that does metal. Or hand machine with a mill, or hand file/sand/drill/tap. Hangers have a fairly complex and "layered" form often and are not what I would call an easy hand filed shape. There have been "universal" replacement hangers that work off the QR skewer that might work.

If Alchemy doesn't distribute in your country how did you get yours? Does that source have spares to offer? Do you have a friend in a country that is within Alchemy's distribution and could get one then ship to you? Was the hanger part of the deal when the fame was bought? I have been advising people who source on line frames/bikes to get a replacement as part of the initial purchase, just in case... Andy
Old 04-07-21, 08:33 AM
dsaul

Mentioned: 18 Post(s)
Quoted: 713 Post(s)
Liked 797 Times in 474 Posts
This looks like the correct one. https://alchemybicycles.com/product/...illeur-hanger/
Old 04-07-21, 08:38 AM
dsbrantjr

Bikes: '93 Trek 750, '92 Schwinn Crisscross, '93 Mongoose Alta

Mentioned: 30 Post(s)
Quoted: 1438 Post(s)
Liked 1,092 Times in 723 Posts
When you find the correct one, buy two. And don't assume that a new one will not require alignment.
Old 04-07-21, 09:04 AM
cxwrench

Bikes: lots

Mentioned: 7 Post(s)
Quoted: 1958 Post(s)
Liked 2,932 Times in 1,489 Posts
If you think you can make one on a lathe you need to forget about that. A mill, yes. Lathe, nope. Follow the advice in the previous posts, you'll be able to get one.
Old 04-07-21, 09:07 AM
sch

Mentioned: 14 Post(s)
Quoted: 303 Post(s)
Liked 136 Times in 104 Posts
What euro sources have you looked at? It might be worth looking/querying such as https://derailleurhangerstore.co.uk
or https://hangerbike.com/en/ in France. If Alchemy would be kind enough to give you a Wheels hanger # then a
Euro source would be easier. I haven't checked Italian sites yet but would expect such to be readily found.